What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (9 Viewers)

I thought he was very serviceable.  4.2 a carry in Lion attire.

Swift was the top RB on the board and is a good receiver too.  So it seems like a good pick on paper.

This is where not trading down and getting an extra pick in the second really hurt.  Could have had any RB and another quality player. Second rd is loaded this year.

Quinn said Miami or SD never called and offered anything, I heard on the radio Miami said Detroit never called either.
I really respect Kerryon and he plays tough. But he's been perpetually injured since high school. I have no issues with Swift but yes I wish they had an extra pick in the 2nd. 

No hairbrained picks yet. Was Swift the best use of the #2 is the question?

Do not usually like trade ups but able to tolerate the one for Jonah Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy for them to take a player ( Jonah Jackson ) that they worked with all week at the senior bowl. They know what it’s like to actually coach the player and see how receptive he is to ideas etc and that can be invaluable info. 

??????

Other than the Swift pick, I think you guys have been knocking it out of the park. Especially when compared to the donkey show in Green Bay.
Just didn’t want to see them go for a RB when they have more pressing needs. Having “a stable of backs” - Quinn’s justification - isn’t much solace if your O-line cannot keep Matthew clean or the front 7 can’t generate pressure. We’re all aware of Stafford’s back injuries, this team was 40 yards away from setting a franchise record for most yards allowed in a season last year, and DFL in QB hurries.

Overall I suppose it’s been a good first couple days.

MLive’s beat reporter Kyle Meinke thinks they did well (& he’s not exactly a synchophant when comes to P & Q):

...just to recap: The Lions have added a cornerback no one disputes is the best in the class, a running back many believe is the best in the class, and an interior lineman that ProFootballFocus says is the second best in this class. That’s three major needs, all addressed with premium talent. And then there’s Okwara, who many believed could have been a first-round pick until he broke his leg. 

Say what you will about missing out on a trade on opening night, but this suddenly looks like an excellent two-day haul that addresses some of Detroit’s biggest needs. And it has made the club undeniably better.

Happy for them to take a player ( Jonah Jackson ) that they worked with all week at the senior bowl. They know what it’s like to actually coach the player and see how receptive he is to ideas etc and that can be invaluable info. 
At first I didn't like them trading up, but the "pick value" was actually in the lions favor by about 5% (75+197 > 85+149+182).

"Jackson began his career at Rutgers before transferring to Ohio State. He started 30 games overall and allowed just one sack on 1,020 pass-blocking reps. That’s not too bad. He allowed 25 pressures overall and ranked as the second-best interior offensive lineman in the draft according to ProFootballFocus."

I think Swift & Kerryon are rotated and Bo still gets the obvious short yardage situations.  Not a great fantasy setup but in real life it should work.
This sounds pretty accurate. A former pats coach using a committee of rbs, who could have foreseen this? 
Id like to see Curtis Weaver from Boise St with the next pick. 

I agree with most, didn’t like the Swift pick. Felt more like a luxury choice which we are not in position to make. Would have rather waited a round and taken Moss. Other than that no major complaints. There was a lot of safety talent in rounds 2 & 3 and was hoping we would land one. Don’t know much about Okwara.

This sounds pretty accurate. A former pats coach using a committee of rbs, who could have foreseen this? 
Id like to see Curtis Weaver from Boise St with the next pick. 
Weaver would be a solid pick.

I'd be hoping for Tyler Johnson myself. None of Golladay, Jones, or Amendola are signed beyond this season, and Johnson has everything except a good 40 time.  

On the whole, seems a decent draft so far.

The let down is the obvious inability to capitalize on the leverage they had in the first round.  I can argue about the RB in round 2, but they came back and covered that pick with OL and DL... so good job.

I liked the player in Okudah, just disappointed they didn't do more to create a trade.  Instead of leading up to the draft building the value of their pick, they spent the entire off-season keeping the value down by ensuring the world repeatedly that Stafford wasn't going anywhere.  Bring Stafford in, ensure him he's your guy, and tell him that you're going to do everything to improve the team, including making it seem like you're open to trading Stafford and drafting Tua.

Also, in free agency, I would have rather spent money on Glasgow, who you've worked with and has done well, rather than spending money on Big V and HOPING he can handle a bigger load than with his previous team.  Then, instead of drafting Swift, there were some very good OTs there at the 2.03.

They've definitely added some good players, but it just seems like they don't actually have a plan. 

I think it is a lot like a novice poker player that looks at his hand and thinks "I have a good hand", but doesn't know what the BEST hand is based on the cards on the table and doesn't know what cards can improve their hand on the river.  Because they don't know the odds, they don't know whether the right move is to bet, call, fold, or go all in.  They also don't seem to have ANY idea of what the others' hands are, because they can't read the table.  Then they wonder why they keep ending up with the second or third best hand.

I liked the player in Okudah, just disappointed they didn't do more to create a trade.  Instead of leading up to the draft building the value of their pick, they spent the entire off-season keeping the value down by ensuring the world repeatedly that Stafford wasn't going anywhere.  Bring Stafford in, ensure him he's your guy, and tell him that you're going to do everything to improve the team, including making it seem like you're open to trading Stafford and drafting Tua.

Also, in free agency, I would have rather spent money on Glasgow, who you've worked with and has done well, rather than spending money on Big V and HOPING he can handle a bigger load than with his previous team.  Then, instead of drafting Swift, there were some very good OTs there at the 2.03.

They've definitely added some good players, but it just seems like they don't actually have a plan. 

I think it is a lot like a novice poker player that looks at his hand and thinks "I have a good hand", but doesn't know what the BEST hand is based on the cards on the table and doesn't know what cards can improve their hand on the river.  Because they don't know the odds, they don't know whether the right move is to bet, call, fold, or go all in.  They also don't seem to have ANY idea of what the others' hands are, because they can't read the table.  Then they wonder why they keep ending up with the second or third best hand.
Agree about capitalizing on the three pick as well. I would of taken anything to move down if we needed to take Simmons instead I would have been fine (wanted him more). Realize we cant just give things away but the more picks the better for this team. An extra 2nd would have done it for me as there was a lot of talent in that round and could better justify an RB at that point.

Solid B for me 
To expand on my previous post, also giving them a B thru two days. Not working the extra 1st round value cost them from an A.  But that really was Martha's fault for the "win now" stuff, Chargers & Miami knew Quinn wasn't allowed to pick a QB.

Did not have a problem with the tradeup, they really needed a solid guard.

To expand on my previous post, also giving them a B thru two days. Not working the extra 1st round value cost them from an A.  But that really was Martha's fault for the "win now" stuff, Chargers & Miami knew Quinn wasn't allowed to pick a QB.

Yeah, they got unlucky to have the number 3 pick in a year where the 2nd and 4th picks weren't going QB either. There just wasn't the pressure for teams to move up. There were 3 teams that wanted a QB in the top 6 and there were 3 highly sought after QBs in the draft. Swift will energize the offense but it's not a great value. At least he's a good RB and a threat in the pass game. I've been screaming for an athletic pass rusher the last couple years with Harold Landry and Brian Burns high on my wishlist the last 2 years so I am pleased with the Okwara pick. I don't know much about him and a lot of what I read seemed to indicate he wasn't very good, but I like the idea of it. The OG from Ohio State was a beautiful meeting of need and good player. 

Guard Logan Stenberg. Found this on Kentucky prospects...

Kiper lists Bowden as the No. 84 overall prospect and the No. 16 wide receiver. Stenberg is the No. 114 overall prospect and No. 3 offensive guard behind Louisiana’s Robert Hunt and Damien Lewis from LSU. McShay has quite a different take on Kentucky’s prospects, ranking Stenberg No. 143 overall and Bowden No. 144. McShay considers Bowden the 24th best wide receiver and Stenberg the seventh best guard. Clearly, we are #TeamKiper when it comes to these rankings.

But they already had a solid guard that they let walk in free agency, while at the same time signing a questionable tackle in free agency for more than it would've cost to retain Glasgow.  If they would've gotten the 2nd round pick from Miami, they could've taken Swift, then gotten one of the safeties, DL, or OT and we'd have been in great shape.  They're making solid picks, but to go from where they are to being competitive they need more than solid.

But they already had a solid guard that they let walk in free agency, while at the same time signing a questionable tackle in free agency for more than it would've cost to retain Glasgow.  If they would've gotten the 2nd round pick from Miami, they could've taken Swift, then gotten one of the safeties, DL, or OT and we'd have been in great shape.  They're making solid picks, but to go from where they are to being competitive they need more than solid.
Good points, but at this time I'm just grading the talent and fit of the guys drafted going forward. 

Cap space might also play a role, there could be enough now for a trade or FA like Clowney or other vets on the move.

I'd give it a B-

I like Okudah, but not at 3, I was really hoping they could trade back to Miami or SD and pick up another high 2nd.

I like the Swift pick, if it had been paired with the trade mentioned above so they could have taken another premium defensive guy.  As it stands I like the player, but as others have said it wasn't the biggest need on the team.

Okarwa and Jackson are both solid picks, nothing to complain about there.

Stenberg meh, but I'm no scout and hard to complain about selecting another guy for the trenches.

This is a team that desperately needs edge and LB help.  I know they got Collins, but our LBs are atrocious.  And while I'm not upset they haven't gone there yet it seems like they need to be going after some of this legendary WR depth in this draft everyone is raving about.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/29069161

best name in the draft+

As for what Detroit’s first-round cornerback thinks of the receiver?

“Quintez Cephus from Wisconsin. I think he’s the best receiver I went against,”Jeff Okudah said while at the combine. “It doesn’t matter what his 40 time was. Football is played in between the lines and he’s a technician, someone that I changed my plan up for every single week. I think it might have been the only receiver to have 100-yards against us. I know that going against him, we have to earn our keep.”

Cephus joins the likes of Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola, among others, in the receiver room. The 6-foot-1 junior caught 59 passes for 901 yards and seven touchdowns last season. 

Don’t like the Cepheus pick. 4.7 is too slow for  WR barely over 200 pounds.

Huntley is actually pretty exciting. He’s fast, catches passes, has major return chops. Not sure about drafting 2 RBs but I like the 2 players at least.

Huntley is actually pretty exciting. He’s fast, catches passes, has major return chops. Not sure about drafting 2 RBs but I like the 2 players at least.
Pretty sure Danny A ain't very fast these days. Run out of the slot and get open on 3rd and 3.

Cepheus plays faster on the field, surprised he ran that slow. I think he will grow on you as he does a lot of things well. He can be a reliable physical third receiver that will make some plays. Waldman had him inside his top ten at the position.

So apparently Okudah said at the combine that the hardest WR he faced in college was Cephus. That he didn’t care what his 40 time was, he was very hard to play against 

Whenever the Lions pick comes up they keep showing the stats of worst pass defense in the NFL and fewest INTs.  But apparently Quinn thinks the offense is the problem because we keep drafting offensive players.

i'm Ok with Huntley if we hadn't drafted Swift. Swift is supposed to be excellent pass catching back.

Drafting a WR who runs 4.73 is very questionable. Yuk. Limited big play ability Amendola runs in mud as well. 

Slay and Okudah  I'll call a wash for now.

We improved on defense with the FAs and our 4th from last year is recovered from his injury. But cant have a defense that loses games at the end when your offense puts up good points.

Quinn must think he's coming back next year because he's drafting like it. Only thing that comes to mind is maybe there's a defensive FA out there that can help that is unsigned that they can grab.

Pretty sure Danny A ain't very fast these days. Run out of the slot and get open on 3rd and 3.
Sure you don’t need to be fast to be effective in the NFL. Amendola was at least quick. Cephus bombed the agility drills as well. It’s hard to be a college WR and run as slow as he did at 200 pounds. It’s almost like he didn’t even bother to train for the events He's also got abnormally small hands for a WR. He’s got a questionable personal history. 

I hope he works out but I don’t like the pick. 

So apparently Okudah said at the combine that the hardest WR he faced in college was Cephus. That he didn’t care what his 40 time was, he was very hard to play against 
Looking at him further. Averaged 15 yds a catch his last year which is good. Also Gil Brandt thought he was a good player and pick. Compared him to Michael Irvin. 

But Irvin ran 4.52.

Looking at him further. Averaged 15 yds a catch his last year which is good. Also Gil Brandt thought he was a good player and pick. Compared him to Michael Irvin. 

But Irvin ran 4.52.
He looks like a 4.5 on the field.

Not blazing fast, but he isn't plodding around out there.

Draft was better than expected.

Was hoping for Simmons at 1 though.  Need a game changer on defense.  Okudah is very good but won`t impact a game like Simmons can.

I wanted Taylor over Swift as well.  But that could go either way.

Was hoping they would draft WR Jones from Michigan late but the Browns got him. It think he will mature into a good NFL WR.

CBS:

172. Lions: RB Jason Huntley, New Mexico St. 

Grade: D+. Huntley has major juice down the field but is very small-framed. Second RB pick for Detroit in already jam-packed RB room. Weird pick.

Draft was better than expected.

Was hoping for Simmons at 1 though.  Need a game changer on defense.  Okudah is very good but won`t impact a game like Simmons can.

I wanted Taylor over Swift as well.  But that could go either way.

Was hoping they would draft WR Jones from Michigan late but the Brown got him. It think he will mature into a good NFL WR.
Yes and yes.

Moonlight said:

But Irvin ran 4.52.
Gil Brandt’s the Abe Vigoda of the NFL. Always surprised he’s still around.

Those two 1K ODU receiver guys last year (6th round & UDFA) were supposed to have great potential. Zero targets, Jonathan Duhart was cut earlier this month and I doubt Travis Fulgham makes it past this summer.

FWIW Quintagious ran like 4.56 at the Wisconsin pro day. Also led the WRs in 225 reps. 

:shrug:  

I presume the little back will be the kick returner, he’s supposed to be good at that.

Pretty underwhelmed with day 3, but always interested in the UDFA activity. You can pick up some cheap serviceable depth there & the Lions have been kinda OK at that, right? Right? Gimme some hope.

Don't agree with folks ranking Taylor over Swift. Maybe you saw him more, IDK, but Swift is significantly better pro prospect than Dobbins or Taylor in most draft profiles I read. Granted the B1G guys were more productive on volume.

Not sure how good that’ll translate ST given the opportunity variable.

Moonlight said:
Whenever the Lions pick comes up they keep showing the stats of worst pass defense in the NFL and fewest INTs.  But apparently Quinn thinks the offense is the problem.
This. Feel like Quinn drafted irrespective of need. Why TF are we spending 2nd round capital on an RB when there are so many other needs and RB is not a big weakness. Why did he stay at 3 where the only thing that made sense is taking the best CB (ties the league record for highest puck ever for a corner.) You lose a guy who is only a year removed from being a Top 100 player. At best, if the kid exceeds expectations, in a year or two your defensive backfield will have the same level talent at one corner. One shutdown doesn’t impact game flow as much as a disruptive edge rusher. With so many needs, we could have used another pick or two picks.

GTFO of the 3 slot and draft multiple DEs/LBs who have a chance at being difference makers. Instead we land one potential guy in the third and a couple late round scrubs.

I just feel like BQ let the draft come to him & took BPA instead of developing an overarching objective and planning accordingly. Admittedly I have unhealthy contempt for P & Q right now. #### this team.

NOTE TO SELF: the 12 players taken before the big guard (Detroit traded back): UCLA cornerback Darnay Holmes (Giants), Georgia offensive lineman Solomon Kindley (Dolphins), UCLA running back Joshua Kelley (Chargers), Notre Dame cornerback Tony Pride Jr. (Panthers), Utah defensive lineman Leki Fotu (Cardinals), Florida Atlantic tight end Harrison Bryant (Browns), St. John’s offensive lineman Ben Bartch (Jaguars), South Carolina edge DJ Wonnum (Vikings), Missouri tight end Albert Okwuegbunam (Broncos), Fresno State linebacker Mykal Walker (Falcons) and Florida running back Lamical Perine (Jets).

This. Feel like Quinn drafted irrespective of need. Why TF are we spending 2nd round capital on an RB when there are so many other needs and RB is not a big weakness. Why did he stay at 3 where the only thing that made sense is taking the best CB (ties the league record for highest puck ever for a corner.) You lose a guy who is only a year removed from being a Top 100 player. At best, if the kid exceeds expectations, in a year or two your defensive backfield will have the same level talent at one corner. One shutdown doesn’t impact game flow as much as a disruptive edge rusher. With so many needs, we could have used another pick or two picks.

GTFO of the 3 slot and draft multiple DEs/LBs who have a chance at being difference makers. Instead we land one potential guy in the third and a couple late round scrubs.

I just feel like BQ let the draft come to him & took BPA instead of developing an overarching objective and planning accordingly. Admittedly I have unhealthy contempt for P & Q right now. #### this team.

NOTE TO SELF: the 12 players taken before the big guard (Detroit traded back): UCLA cornerback Darnay Holmes (Giants), Georgia offensive lineman Solomon Kindley (Dolphins), UCLA running back Joshua Kelley (Chargers), Notre Dame cornerback Tony Pride Jr. (Panthers), Utah defensive lineman Leki Fotu (Cardinals), Florida Atlantic tight end Harrison Bryant (Browns), St. John’s offensive lineman Ben Bartch (Jaguars), South Carolina edge DJ Wonnum (Vikings), Missouri tight end Albert Okwuegbunam (Broncos), Fresno State linebacker Mykal Walker (Falcons) and Florida running back Lamical Perine (Jets).
Good! Use your aggressive feelings boy. Let the hate flow through you. Your hate has made you powerful. (Star Wars)

TJ is a nice player, but how many people think he’ll have a great impact on his team than Ed Oliver will have in Buffalo.

The last 5-6 weeks of the year he was a beast. Expect him to be a Pro Bowler this year and nobody would be surprised if he’s an All Pro.

Would be a (wonderful) shock if Hockenson got to that level in 2020. More of a general philosophical issue of roster construction, but I just don’t get spending that kind of draft capital at TE when an EDGE is going to have a bigger impact.

I hate this management team. Clueless GM and jerk coach who can’t motivate anyone.

It's a cliche, but the best defense is keeping your offense on the field and your QB upright. A better running game should help, you can't continue to be in the bottom half of the league for the entire 21st century.

TJ is a nice player, but how many people think he’ll have a great impact on his team than Ed Oliver will have in Buffalo.

The last 5-6 weeks of the year he was a beast. Expect him to be a Pro Bowler this year and nobody would be surprised if he’s an All Pro.

Would be a (wonderful) shock if Hockenson got to that level in 2020. More of a general philosophical issue of roster construction, but I just don’t get spending that kind of draft capital at TE when an EDGE is going to have a bigger impact.

I hate this management team. Clueless GM and jerk coach who can’t motivate anyone.
The  Hockenson pick was awful. It's probably another year or 2 before TJ reaches his potential because that's how the TE position works. Ed Oliver is exactly what the defense needs. That said, I think this was the best Quinn draft yet. I would have preferred not to take a RB in the 2nd round but at least they took a RB who can add a lot in the passing game. 

Rough Sketch here.

The Lions focused on defense with their FA signings. Trufant, Collins, Shelton and Harmon all look to be starters. There were other FA defensive players signed that provide depth. 

Da'Shawn Hand who played very well in 2018 was on injured reserve in 2019 after playing the first three games. His return greatly helps the defense. Austin Bryant their 4th round pick in 2019 was on injured reserve except for the last three games.

For this year's draft Okudah replaces Slay. Okwara looks to be a player that will provide pass rushing help.

Overall Defense should be better. Additionally Lions are one of the teams that have good cap room still. There are still some defensive FAs out there that are unsigned. Some are looking for big $ but market is drying up. FAs still available Clowney, Everson Griffen, Olivier Vernon, Markus Golden, Darqueeze Dennard, Alec Ogletree and others.

Lions are a bet to sign another FA for whatever holes they feel they still have after the draft.

Lions are one of the teams that have good cap room still. There are still some defensive FAs out there that are unsigned. Some are looking for big $ but market is drying up. FAs still available Clowney, Everson Griffen, Olivier Vernon, Markus Golden, Darqueeze Dennard, Alec Ogletree and others.

Lions are a bet to sign another FA for whatever holes they feel they still have after the draft.
I'm guessing a couple more FAs in the front 6-7 that can help with the pass rush and/or plug the run. I like the back 4-5 guys at least for now and the offense looks pretty good.

Wow TSP is in full hype mode on Swift.

Has Detroit had a top ten FF RB since Barry retired? Aggregate not PPG.

Just realized my son, who graduates from Tech next month, was born three months after Sanders sent a fax & hopped on a plane to London. In my mind I always think “that wasn’t that long ago.” Feeling pretty old with this mornings epiphany “whoa that was 22 years ago!”

Users who are viewing this thread