What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (41 Viewers)

Sewell will be long gone by our pick and I'd say O-Line is one of our better position groups overall.
Probably but it's not impossible for 4 QBs, Pitts and Chase to go in the top 6. Unlikely but not impossible. I also agree OL is our strongest group but we don't have a RT. Just because OL is good doesn't mean we should skip over the BPA at a high value position to take a lesser player based on need. We are ashes right now and need to gather value. 

Also there is something to be said for strengthening strengths. You can never have enough high end OL. Same with DL. 

I can see the argument for the OL. If they view Goff as an answer going forward then yes set up to succeed. I keep hearing that Goff can succeed if he has enough around him. So you would find out and then can put QB on back burner.
Even if you think maybe he is the answer, find out. The only way to do that is give him protection and weapons. Something for example the Jets haven't done with Darnold and now we 3 years into his career and nobody is really sure what he even is. Plus, what is the point in drafting a rookie QB in 2022 or 2023 and having him come into a bad offense? Talk about setting the kid up to fail. Want to attract a high end FA QB, you better have the players on offense in place to attract him. 

I’ll miss prater, he was reliable. 
I like the brockers trade. Giving a 7th is scary though, I feel like we’ll draft a kicker or long snapper in the fourth or something. (Again)
We have a history of being great at low value positions. Have had great Kickers practically my whole life

• Errol Mann
  • Eddie Murray
  • Jason Hanson
  • Matt Prater
History of great or very good tight ends (Charlie Sanders, David Hill) followed by reaching for them too early (Pettigrew, Ebron.) Hoping Hock is like Calvin in that after several failed attempts of taking a TE in the first it finally works out. He definitely seems to be just scratching the surface, 2021 and beyond might dwarf what he did last year.

Seems to me there is a shift going on in the league. Good franchises used to almost always build from the inside out, and I was always in favor of that (seldom happened) for Detroit. But now we see teams focus on playmakers and speed, and building from the outside in is more in favor. You still need a great line on both sides of the ball but there's def been a bit of a shift. Just me?

We have a history of being great at low value positions. Have had great Kickers practically my whole life

• Errol Mann
  • Eddie Murray
  • Jason Hanson
  • Matt Prater
History of great or very good tight ends (Charlie Sanders, David Hill) followed by reaching for them too early (Pettigrew, Ebron.) Hoping Hock is like Calvin in that after several failed attempts of taking a TE in the first it finally works out. He definitely seems to be just scratching the surface, 2021 and beyond might dwarf what he did last year.

Seems to me there is a shift going on in the league. Good franchises used to almost always build from the inside out, and I was always in favor of that (seldom happened) for Detroit. But now we see teams focus on playmakers and speed, and building from the outside in is more in favor. You still need a great line on both sides of the ball but there's def been a bit of a shift. Just me?
top 10 picks mainly just QBs & recievers + a CB.  One lineman total from both sides of the ball says at least this year it's that way.

• Errol Mann
  • Eddie Murray
  • Jason Hanson
  • Matt Prater

TB won the last SB due to their defensive line which was able to take advantage of the OL injuries KC had. Mahomes had no time to throw.

Thank you, not goodbye

A nice change seeing a Lion leaving on good terms. I have a lot of respect for the guy. 
came here to post this, just watched it. he didn't have to do that but dude just always does the right thing.

best face of the franchise ever in Detroit? IDK he's maybe a notch below Yzerman and Kaline but he was not the reason they haven't won a playoff game in 30 years. obviously Barry and Calvin were on another level as far as generational talent, but they didn't have to face the media every single week like he did. he was really getting torn up not too many years ago, I hated Detroit sports radio back then.

hope he has postseason success with the Rams and anywhere else he goes. would love for him to sign a one-day contract in 6-8 years and retire a Lion.

TB won the last SB due to their defensive line which was able to take advantage of the OL injuries KC had. Mahomes had no time to throw.
that scheme was fantastic, everybody doing their job. David was all over the place, all the DBs had a stellar night. but while the D line was a huge part of it, they also assembled a really good group in the defensive backfield, had four good wideouts and of course the TB12/Gronk signings to put them over the edge. amazing how quickly Arians turned it around.

reported that the Matthew Stafford-Jared Goff trade become official today and not yesterday because Goff had a $2.5 million roster bonus due on the second day of the league year, which is today. The #Rams agreed to pay it as part of the trade to the #Lions.

reported that the Matthew Stafford-Jared Goff trade become official today and not yesterday because Goff had a $2.5 million roster bonus due on the second day of the league year, which is today. The #Rams agreed to pay it as part of the trade to the #Lions.
I'm amazed that folks have come in here to criticize the transaction. we dealt an iconic figure while incurring zero drama, which is in stark contrast to numerous other times franchise QBs have been moved. we received a capable replacement who will be low cost the first two seasons, three picks( two of them firsts), and even got the other side to pay this year's roster bonus. the Rams got what they think they wanted and I cannot imagine us negotiating a better haul coming back.

Nope, those people had hard lives. Former Lions blood bleeders like me decided to kick the the so called "homelessness" and pull for a good team. Homeless people dont have a choice always, Lions fans freely pick the pathetic franchise so inept at winning and finding good coaches or players. Ironically, which would even be the Cleveland Browns at this point. Pulling for the Browns is like living in the Hilton compared to on the skreets with the Leos. 

Hey, you got likes cuz fellow people wanna feel positivity about this team, but everyone in this thread, EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. feels just like me, some just think they cant say it cuz it makes them not a fan. Actually caring about this team would be tuning your back on them like doing so to a junky fam member until they go to rehab. You got to show them you mean biz. The Lions are a junky, they are addicted to losing and cant seem to shake it, they need rehab. Fans need to bail on them until they get rid of anything related to Fords.

This franchise should not have a single fan, fans who are a fan of this franchise did it to themselves. Dont ever compare shaming a sad Lions fan who are still fans after 50+ years of ineptitude to actually human struggles of life. One deserves shaming, the other just is down on their financial and shelter luck.

This team will never ever ever ever ever ever have success as long as a Ford owns it, you all know this...but you are suppose to be showing how much you know about this team and franchise by doubting it? 

We are at the point of this franchise history where supporting this team makes you look bad, not the team. The team is only holding the bar as high as the fans force them. The fans are the problem, they continue to support this failed team. Make excuses for why you support them though Leos fans. I loved them for two long, a divorce was long over do for this useless partner. I spent way too much on tickets and memo over the years. 
It’s about community. Winning football games is nice but also pointless in life. I’m a Lions fan because of where I came from, who I am friends with, times I spent with family and friends, memory, common bonds, etc. Its not like  I’m going to get a cut of the profit if they won a SB or something. 

Last edited by a moderator:
List of FA wide receivers from Roto. Trying to find someone Lions would both want with some upside and can afford.

Not easy. Maybe Reynolds or Demarcus Robinson?

WIDE RECEIVER

Allen Robinson (27) -- Franchise-Tagged
Chris Godwin (25) -- Franchise-Tagged
Kenny Golladay (27)
Will Fuller (26)
JuJu Smith-Schuster (24)
T.Y. Hilton (31)
Corey Davis (26) -- Signed three-year deal with NYJ
A.J. Green (32) -- Signed one-year deal with ARZ
Curtis Samuel (24) -- Signed three-year deal with WSH
Rashard Higgins (26) -- Re-signed one-year deal with CLE
Sammy Watkins (27)
Antonio Brown (32)
Marvin Jones (31) -- Signed two-year deal with JAX
Josh Reynolds (26)
Emmanuel Sanders (34) -- Signed one-year deal with BUF
John Brown (30) -- Signed one-year deal with LV
Kendrick Bourne (25) -- Signed three-year deal with NE
Demarcus Robinson (26)
Adam Humphries (27)
David Moore (26)
Nelson Agholor (27) -- Signed two-year deal with NE
Breshad Perriman (27)
DeSean Jackson (34)
Marquise Goodwin (30)
Golden Tate (32)
Alshon Jeffery (31)
Dede Westbrook (27)
John Ross (25) -- Signed one-year deal with NYG
Keelan Cole (27)
Tyrell Williams (29) -- Signed one-year, $4M deal with DET
Chris Conley (28)
Alex Erickson (28)
Isaiah McKenzie (25)
Marqise Lee (29)
Trent Taylor (26)
Andre Roberts (33) -- Signed two-year deal with HOU
Cordarrelle Patterson (30)
Jamal Agnew (25) -- Signed three-year deal with JAX
Marvin Hall (27)
Willie Snead (28)
Mike Thomas (26) -- Re-signed undisclosed deal with CIN
Kalif Raymond (26)
Damiere Byrd (28)
Danny Amendola (35)
Isaiah Ford (25)
Larry Fitzgerald (37)
Dez Bryant (32)
Phillip Dorsett (28) -- Signed undisclosed deal with JAX
Cody Core (26)
Taywan Taylor (26)
Trent Sherfield (25)
Jaydon Mickens (26)
Noah Brown (25) -- Re-signed one-year deal with DAL
Laquon Treadwell (25)
Mohamed Sanu (31)
Chris Moore (27) -- Signed one-year deal with HOU
Mack Hollins (27)
Bennie Fowler (29)
Pharoh Cooper (28)
JoJo Natson (27) -- Re-signed one-year deal with CLE
Zay Jones (25) -- Re-signed one-year deal with LV

The Lions agreed to a free agent contract with edge rusher Charles Harris on Thursday, according to ESPN.

A first-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2017, one pick after the Lions took Jarrad Davis, Harris has 6.5 sacks in four seasons with the Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.

Are you guys seeing any type of theme/team philosophy with any of these moves?

Not necessarily being critical, just seems like a random collection of guys so far and not clear what exactly the new regime is trying to build.

Not necessarily being critical, just seems like a random collection of guys so far and not clear what exactly the new regime is trying to build.
Picking up better players than the guy they are replacing. Hill over James, Williams over Peterson, Brockers over Shelton or other DTs. Tyrell Williams over Amendola

I like Prater but I'm ok with them not re-signing him. 

Last year he was very not good, 2nd worst year of his career for FG % and bottom 10 in the entire NFL 

Just 10-17 from 40+

I like Prater but I'm ok with them not re-signing him. 

Last year he was very not good, 2nd worst year of his career for FG % and bottom 10 in the entire NFL 

Just 10-17 from 40+
Seems like the right time to cut him loose. Can't fall in love with your kicker.

Just in case 2021 is a total debacle,  these guys see a QB in the lions future.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com

2022 NFL Mock Draft

1. Detroit Lions: Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

This is an absolute no-brainer if the Detroit Lions end up selecting first overall as they do in this 2022 First Round NFL Mock Draft. The assumption here is they don’t select a quarterback in 2021, instead “relying” on Jared Goff to guide them to their quarterback of the future in Sam Howell.

The Lions agreed to a free agent contract with edge rusher Charles Harris on Thursday, according to ESPN.

A first-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2017, one pick after the Lions took Jarrad Davis, Harris has 6.5 sacks in four seasons with the Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.
I’m sure he’s just as likely to be cut this summer as he is to make the team. This is his last shot in the league. 

Affordable veterans. Roster needs total turnover but in the meantime we do need guys to fill it out until we can get a couple rookie UDFA classes in here.

Affordable veterans. Roster needs total turnover but in the meantime we do need guys to fill it out until we can get a couple rookie UDFA classes in here.
Perhaps. But still no apparent "core" being developed toward any type of meaningful system/philosophy/personality. Just a bunch of random short-term rentals.

Even with Goff they are non-committal about whether they are going to build around him.

Reeves-Maybin (1-yr), B. Perriman (1-yr), T. Williams (1-yr), J. Hill (1-yr), J. Williams (2-yr), Brockers (2-yrs remaining).

Perhaps. But still no apparent "core" being developed toward any type of meaningful system/philosophy/personality. Just a bunch of random short-term rentals.

Even with Goff they are non-committal about whether they are going to build around him.

Reeves-Maybin (1-yr), B. Perriman (1-yr), T. Williams (1-yr), J. Hill (1-yr), J. Williams (2-yr), Brockers (2-yrs remaining).
They are a bunch of randoms and short term rentals. You don’t build a team through FA. 

There's no way they can add anyone to their "core" right now. It's about cleaning house, gaining draft capital and bringing guys in to start rebuilding the culture. Simple as that.

There's no way they can add anyone to their "core" right now. It's about cleaning house, gaining draft capital and bringing guys in to start rebuilding the culture. Simple as that.
Not really. A bunch of primarily one-year contracts contradicts Campbell's own words...

So any piece that we (add), any free agent that’s added, any draft pick that’s added, like, those players have to be our core foundation two years from now."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/03/detroit-lions-free-agency-recap-a-look-at-all-the-comings-and-goings-heading-into-the-signing-period.html

Lions add WR Breshad Perriman, son of former Lion Brett Perriman. He;s a speedy big play WR with major flaws.

He's always injured and very inconsistent. Can go three games with one 6 yard catch a game and then in 4th game catch a 63 yard bomb for a touchdown.

Like the defensive end Harris Lions signed today he's a vet and a former 1st round draft choice. Perriman Likely a replacement for Marvin Hall as a long ball WR5.

One year contract for 3 million.

Not really. A bunch of primarily one-year contracts contradicts Campbell's own words...

So any piece that we (add), any free agent that’s added, any draft pick that’s added, like, those players have to be our core foundation two years from now."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/03/detroit-lions-free-agency-recap-a-look-at-all-the-comings-and-goings-heading-into-the-signing-period.html
The cupboard is bare. Lions have little money and talent so Campbell was getting ahead of himself. Lions forced to sign low cost vets on tryout contracts. Guys like Brockers, Hill, J.Williams and maybe T. Williams are likely being viewed as core players.

Guy like the DE Harris who was improved last year, you take a shot on for a one year and see if he develops further.

Lions sign PK Randy Bullock to replace Prater. Has exact same career 83.2% on FGs as Prater but lifetime Prater

59/79 from 50+ while Bullock is 12/25 lifetime from 50+.

Bullock kicked indoors in Houston in his early career years before Cincinnati

What I took away from that statement is all transactions going forward have purpose in building this team. It is a unique offseason with the cap and how FAs and teams are approaching it.

Don Muhlbach returning for his 18th year. So you might say they brought the mule back.

That, Bullock, Harris and Perriman look like little (but necessarily) roster building moves. Though Perriman only needs to beat the likes of Gerinomo Allison to be the Lions' WR3 at worst. For now (or until draft day?).

Moonlight said:
The cupboard is bare. Lions have little money and talent so Campbell was getting ahead of himself. Lions forced to sign low cost vets on tryout contracts. Guys like Brockers, Hill, J.Williams and maybe T. Williams are likely being viewed as core players.

Guy like the DE Harris who was improved last year, you take a shot on for a one year and see if he develops further.
Lions are going to be bad in 2021. Really bad.

The main goal is to eat a ton of salary cap hits in 2021 and enter 2022 with a lot of cap space, the picks from the Rams, and hopefully a compensatory pick or two from lost free agents to really start the rebuild around the QB they probably draft next year. 

Don Muhlbach returning for his 18th year. So you might say they brought the mule back.
Death, taxes, sunrise, Muhlbach - the only certainties of life.

Turns 40 in August, is second on the all time Lions games played list with 260. Would have to play FIVE more years to pass Jason Hanson (327.)

Chuckled when someone called Perriman the Lions new WR1 but it’s kinda true. We’ll see how the 2-3 rookie WRs we’ll be drafting/signing shake out.

Lions not getting Rams original 3rd round pick as part of Stafford trade. Instead getting one of their compensatory 3rds. Not clear which one.

Edit Looks like Lions are getting first of Rams two compensatory thirds and Brockers contract being reworked to a three year to assist with 2021.

Death, taxes, sunrise, Muhlbach - the only certainties of life.

Turns 40 in August, is second on the all time Lions games played list with 260. Would have to play FIVE more years to pass Jason Hanson (327.)

Chuckled when someone called Perriman the Lions new WR1 but it’s kinda true. We’ll see how the 2-3 rookie WRs we’ll be drafting/signing shake out.
At least we won’t have Quinn trying to draft a replacement LS in the 4th. 

These FA acquisitions...Anthony Lynn knows Williams, so I see why we signed him. Perriman can still take the top off the defense, and I dont think we should look at his role being any more than that right now. Neither of those guys will be in the way of a draft pick developing. I’d rather we pick one in rd 2 as I think there’s good talent available there, and ultimately hope we just move back. Preparing myself for us to draft Kyle pitts, because that sounds like something the lions would do. 

At least we won’t have Quinn trying to draft a replacement LS in the 4th. 

These FA acquisitions...Anthony Lynn knows Williams, so I see why we signed him. Perriman can still take the top off the defense, and I dont think we should look at his role being any more than that right now. Neither of those guys will be in the way of a draft pick developing. I’d rather we pick one in rd 2 as I think there’s good talent available there, and ultimately hope we just move back. Preparing myself for us to draft Kyle pitts, because that sounds like something the lions would do. 
I'm also not seeing a wr or "te" in the first, but 2nd or after would be ok. Very deep at that position this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread