What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (19 Viewers)

I can't bring myself to want them to lose but I believe this is still a pretty decent collection of players. A QB who is good enough to be on a successful team if he has the correct coaches/coordinators.

If we crash and burn and it takes out Caldwell/Lewand/Mayhew then, and I really have no evidence to impart any faith in this front, make some smart hires to replace them we could end I up in good shape with a raft of high draft picks to stock the team.

The players are playing under their ability due to bad coaching and due to some big holes in a few key areas this year that lies at the feet of Mayhew/Lewand.

Despite our terrible record, our player roster is nowhere near being one of the weakest in the league, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't bring myself to want them to lose but I believe this is still a pretty decent collection of players. A QB who is good enough to be on a successful team if he has the correct coaches/coordinators.

If we crash and burn and it takes out Caldwell/Lewand/Mayhew then, and I really have no evidence to impart any faith in this front, make some smart hires to replace them we could end I up in good shape with a raft of high draft picks to stock the team.

The players are playing under their ability due to bad coaching and due to some big holes in a few key areas this year that lies at the feet of Mayhew/Lewand.

Despite our terrible record, our player roster is nowhere near being one of the weakest in the league, imo.
In addition to higher picks (with hopefully better pickers) they would have 4 last place teams on their schedule next year in addition to what looks now to be easier divisions than this year...

http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl/detroit-lions.php

In addition to higher picks (with hopefully better pickers) they would have 4 last place teams on their schedule next year in addition to what looks now to be easier divisions than this year...http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl/detroit-lions.php
Your divisional finish only determines two games in your next year's schedule. From your link, that means teams in the NFC West and South. So the difference between 3rd and 4th in the North this year is likely to mean facing St. Louis/NO vs. SF/TB

TartanLion, on 28 Oct 2015 - 5:09 PM, said:I can't bring myself to want them to lose but I believe this is still a pretty decent collection of players. A QB who is good enough to be on a successful team if he has the correct coaches/coordinators.

It is a Catch 22. Lewand has proven he does not know who to hire, Mayhews drafts have been very weak overall so a bad year with extra picks mean nothing. If they can Mayhew Lions history says they will promote from within. The team needs a full cleansing..something they have never done. Lewand has been there 19 years, Mayhew 15, the head of scouting has been there 29 years. Working for the Lions is like a union government job in terms of security.

Wonder if Gabe Wright will be a healthy scratch for the fourth time. Gave up a 2016 3rd rounder to move up in this year's 4th round. 5 tackles on the season.

Vintage Mayhew.

red stripe said:
red stripe, on 28 Oct 2015 - 7:31 PM, said:red stripe, on 28 Oct 2015 - 7:31 PM, said:
BobbyLayne said:
BobbyLayne, on 28 Oct 2015 - 6:59 PM, said:BobbyLayne, on 28 Oct 2015 - 6:59 PM, said:Wonder if Gabe Wright will be a healthy scratch for the fourth time. Gave up a 2016 3rd rounder to move up in this year's 4th round. 5 tackles on the season.

Vintage Mayhew.
He's right there with 2014 2nd rounder Kyle Van Noy!
You forgot Nick Fairley,Ryan Broyles, Titus Young, Mikeal LeShoure, Riley Reif, Laken Tomlinson, Ebron over Aaron Donald.

breaking down the 7 sacks from the Minnesota game

Good stuff from PFF. You can see that several of the sacks are due to poor execution of intricate (and questionable) blocking schemes, and several are pure head scratchers. It's obvious the Vikings are showing blitz, often LBs on either side of the C. You simply cannot run play action off that. Yet Stafford neither checks out of it nor calls time out. Freaking free play for the other side.

Is Matthew Stafford (84GS in 7 years) not allowed to change the play at the line? AYFKM?

Good stuff from PFF. You can see that several of the sacks are due to poor execution of intricate (and questionable) blocking schemes, and several are pure head scratchers. It's obvious the Vikings are showing blitz, often LBs on either side of the C. You simply cannot run play action off that. Yet Stafford neither checks out of it nor calls time out. Freaking free play for the other side.

Is Matthew Stafford (84GS in 7 years) not allowed to change the play at the line? AYFKM?
Either that or he is so clueless that he can't read a D. It's a toss up and I wouldn't be at all surprised if its the latter. He thinks he's great and doesn't need anyone to help him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24388591/matthew-stafford-doesnt-think-passing-coach-would-be-beneficial

Either that or he is so clueless that he can't read a D. It's a toss up and I wouldn't be at all surprised if its the latter. He thinks he's great and doesn't need anyone to help him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24388591/matthew-stafford-doesnt-think-passing-coach-would-be-beneficial
You are to Stafford as pantherclub is to Manziel.

Right, everyone remembers the stink made about that.

Except, ya know, they actually went out and hired a QB coach a few months later. And Stafford has worked with Cooter a lot on his footwork. So, yep, ####ty response, but what happened in reality is they hired a coach & he changed his mechanics as a result of it. We don't see the side arm, off balance slinging we used to see on a regular basis.

Is he any more effective than he was before? Nope, not really. If anything they turned him into a double pumping scared cat.

But you pulling out that old article is a bull#### move. He is coachable.

It may well be that Stafford is pig headed, stubborn and hard to coach. We don't know, we're not in the film room or on the practice field. But it sure seems like he had a good relationship with Lombardi, and personally called him after he got canned. He and Orlovsky have a lot of praise about Cooter, and good natured ribbing about what a miserable s.o.b. he is. It's frustrating Matthew has not progressed more as a QB.

But in my opinion - and that's all it is - Lombardi overemphasized ball security, mistakes, etc. I have to come to think of Stafford the way most of us think about our golf game. Some of us are very mechanical, and strive to be in a certain position at the top and through he ball and when we finish. It's all about repeating that movement perfectly each time. Other players go much more by feel and worry less about mechanics. I think Stafford is always going to be a flawed QB, but IMO he is much more of a feel and rhythm athlete. They're probably better off letting him freelance more and take risks.

To the PFF article, I don't think it's lack of intelligence or not picking up on the obvious blitz the Vikes were showing. I think Lombardi et al coached him to not check out of plays. If that is the case, that's pretty ####### stupid if you ask me.

:shrug:

I could be wrong.

Golden Tate having dinner in my restaurant here in London. He's with 4 women. If he's dragging this Sunday, I'll know why.

Golden Tate having dinner in my restaurant here in London. He's with 4 women. If he's dragging this Sunday, I'll know why.
Read an article about Joique Bell footing a $253 fare for the RBs because the Über driver got lost trying to find the country estate where they are practicing/staying (The Grove in Hertfordshire.) Pretty swanky digs.

In completely unsurprising news, while his teammates were at Herrods or Jermyn Street, DeAndre Levy rented a car & drive out to Stonehenge. Alone.

:wub:

He's my kind of traveler.

http://m.detroitlions.com/media-center/photo-gallery/DeAndre-Levys-offseason-activities/96792284-1df0-440e-bd0c-63f79b09cc3e

Read an article about Joique Bell footing a $253 fare for the RBs because the Über driver got lost trying to find the country estate where they are practicing/staying (The Grove in Hertfordshire.) Pretty swanky digs.

In completely unsurprising news, while his teammates were at Herrods or Jermyn Street, DeAndre Levy rented a car & drive out to Stonehenge. Alone.

http://m.detroitlions.com/media-center/photo-gallery/DeAndre-Levys-offseason-activities/96792284-1df0-440e-bd0c-63f79b09cc3e
Everything else aside, lions have really missed Levy this year.

Read an article about Joique Bell footing a $253 fare for the RBs because the Über driver got lost trying to find the country estate where they are practicing/staying (The Grove in Hertfordshire.) Pretty swanky digs.In completely unsurprising news, while his teammates were at Herrods or Jermyn Street, DeAndre Levy rented a car & drive out to Stonehenge. Alone.

Everything else aside, lions have really missed Levy this year.
He's actually better in pass coverage than quite a few NFL safeties. IIRC PFF graded him #4 & #1 the last two years.What's interesting about Levy is while he has always been athletic - ran a 4.47 coming out of college - he was really only average to good his first four years. Boy did he take up a notch in 2013 & 2014.

I just hope he gets healthy again.

Apathy. It's one of the worst feelings to have as a fan. I find myself not even reacting anymore. :shrug:

Apathy. It's one of the worst feelings to have as a fan. I find myself not even reacting anymore. :shrug:
thats me as a Raiders fan all these years ....this is the first year that ive been excited to watch them in a looooong time
You have a real nice nucleus brewing there. This team is about to be detonated. How does a franchise that has had Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, two of the most dominant players in NFL history, only win a single playoff game in 50+ years? Please Ford family, sell this f^&*&^^^* team.

What's the future here?

Clearly Caldwell will be gone. I'd expect they announce tomorrow morning. No way he makes it thru the bye.

Could they really trade Stafford? If so for what? It makes some sense if you are really wanting to scrap the team. Let the new coach draft "his" guy. I'd imagine a 2nd and a 3rd would be the approx cost. No clue really, though.

What's the future here?

Clearly Caldwell will be gone. I'd expect they announce tomorrow morning. No way he makes it thru the bye.

Could they really trade Stafford? If so for what? It makes some sense if you are really wanting to scrap the team. Let the new coach draft "his" guy. I'd imagine a 2nd and a 3rd would be the approx cost. No clue really, though.
:shrug:

Would probably be best for both Matthew & the team.

I'm ambivalent about JC if MM keeps his job.

Martha & Jr aren't letting go but honestly Dan Gilbert is the only hope for this franchise. Damn shame they'll never be in a position to have to sell.

Who is the next head coach? Hue Jackson? Kyle Shanahan?
John Harbaugh. Or whomever will say "yes" to the job. Low/no expectations for a while, but being a Lions coach at any level hasn't exactly been great for anyone's future.

Every time I think I'm ready to quit FF, I see teams like these Lions and remember I would probably give up on football all together if I had nothing to watch except the pitiful product the NFL puts out about 65% of the time.

Alex P Keaton, on 01 Nov 2015 - 6:13 PM, said:Caldwell is the worst coach in the league.

I almost feel sorry for Lions fans.
The hire was puzzling from the start as Caldwell was never going to get another NFL HC job with any other team. Baltimore was going to fire him as OC right before the Lions hired him.

Every time I think I'm ready to quit FF, I see teams like these Lions and remember I would probably give up on football all together if I had nothing to watch except the pitiful product the NFL puts out about 65% of the time.
It really helps to start players/defenses against them, it becomes almost a no lose proposition.

Well that was an absolute shower of ####e. Just back from London. Met a few Lions fans over from Michigan all good people, had a great time once agin, but.......

This team has given up. Its easier to see when you get the chance to be there in person. They are not playing for the coach in the slightest. Any further games played under Caldwell is a complete waste of time unless we are trying to lose for draft picks. Night and day between this year and the effort on the field last year against the Falcons. There's no science behind this, the players couldn't give a toss and that will remain true until there's a change.

Alex P Keaton, on 01 Nov 2015 - 6:13 PM, said:Caldwell is the worst coach in the league.

I almost feel sorry for Lions fans.
The hire was puzzling from the start as Caldwell was never going to get another NFL HC job with any other team. Baltimore was going to fire him as OC right before the Lions hired him.
Also, keep in mind the dynamic. Their first choice was Ken Whisenhunt. He interviewed but then chose Tennessee. That mother####er has lost 31 of the last 35 NFL games he has coached - that was the Lions first choice!

They moved on to Jay Gruden. Really wanted to get him to Allen Park, he was the clear front runner once they lost Whiz, but dang it, the Redskins got him signed the day before he was supposed to interview with Detroit. 7-16, universally disrespected. That was our second choice.

Full blown panic attack. OMG it's been 8 days and our first two picks spurned us. Who have we talked to? Caldwell! Hell that guy won his first 14 games in the NFL. He's our man!!

You could not make this #### up.

In his presser, Caldwell stressed the importance that the entire team must spend much more time with Cooter the rest of the season.

Det says they are backing Caldwell. Kiss of death?
Who are you quoting?
NFL live.
I was just curious who said what. Caldwell says he hasn't lost the faith of ownership. But I haven't heard anyone confirm that.

Mayhew can't fire him. They both report to Martha.

Justin Rogers had a dip#### article today that they can't fire Caldwell because their is no suitable replacement except Austin, and they shouldn't reward Terryl because the defense has played awful.

1. It's an interim move.
  2. No ####, Sherlock. Do you think it's Austin's fault they lost they're missing all three DTs and their best player (LB DeAndre Levy)?
  3. Dan Campbell was the TEs coach and had no experience. This isn't about a suitable replacement, it's about level of effort from the players.

Users who are viewing this thread