What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (8 Viewers)

Too many teams need a coach, Lions are behind the game and need a GM. Calvin will probably retire, another year of Caldwell. I hope theres a wr left in the draft by the time the Lions draft.

I don't see Austin not getting a HC job again this year. Lions need to hurry their ### up and get a GM hired, then fire Caldwell and promote Austin.

The Lions finished 6-2 against teams with losing records. They were 1-7 against teams with winning records.
Stafford in a nutshell.
And it's been the personality of the franchise for decades. When they're good, they're beating up on weak sisters. They win 9-11 games, squeak into the playoffs, lose in the first round. Next year they have a tougher schedule and it's back to 5-7 wins and oh with a coupe breaks we could have been right there. It was the same every other year pattern virtually the entire Fontes - Ross era. Then it was a lost decade under Millen (with lingering aftershocks), back into the same pattern under Swartz - Caldwell.

Never good enough for a deep run, never bad enough for a complete tear down / rebuild. Barry, Herman Moore & a couple other good players aren't all that dissimilar from Calvin & Stafford in terms of the net result. Not a formula for a championship run but unlikely to completely tank.

They're bums, but they're my bums. Just once before we die, Martha.
I didn't know you wrote for the Miami Dolphins ;)

19 year Lion employee Sheldon White was the last interview for GM. Pretty sure he will get the job and the Lion culture will remain the same. Caldwell is already pimping for White.

According to Schefter, Bob Quinn it is. Don't know anything about him.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Detroit Lions are expected to hire Patriots director of pro scouting Bob Quinn as their general manager, league sources told ESPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get to know a little more about Bob Quinn, the New England Patriots' director of pro scouting who will reportedly take over the Detroit Lions as general manager.

Bob Quinn

Born: Norwood, Mass.

High school: Norwood High, 1994.

College: Connecticut, B.A. political science 1998, M.A. sports management 2000.

Patriots resume

Director of pro scouting: 2012-present.

Assistant director of pro personnel: 2009-12.

National scout: 2008-09.

Regional scout: 2004-08.

Pro scout: 2002-04.

Player personnel assistant: 2000-02.

Family: Wife, Julie, and children Kyle and Grace.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick in a Tuesday conference call on how Quinn has contributed to his staff: Yeah, Bob has done a good job, been with us for a long time and has had a number of different responsibilities in the scouting department pro, college, advance, different projects and all that. Hes done a real solid job.

Millen era is finally over

Just please be better than Pioli and Dimitroff
What is the track record of Pats FO people in GM roles? Is it just Pioli and Dimitroff? Pioli was obviously a disaster, although I think that was more with his management style than his roster construction. Dimitroff is somewhat more mixed -- he built a roster that came within one Harry Douglas stumble of making the Super Bowl, but it was paper thin and collapsed once people started getting older and/or injured.

At a minimum, the GM tree has to be better than the Belichick coaching tree. Crennel, McDaniels, Mangini, Weis. It's like the Four Horseman of the Medicrolypse.

The pats are like the wizard of oz. All smoke and mirrors. The brady pick has gotten alot of people hired over the years
I like the hire because it's so unlike the Lions, but I have the same concern about the NE tree. I was pulling for the guy from Seattle. Don't know anything about him but he didn't have Belichick distorting his value.Still a great day for Lions fans.

Considering that they were probably going to lose their OC & DC anyways, this would be the best possible outcome. Outside GM + someone other than Caldwell as HC.

Presumably that is a good thing. I liked this bit....

Accorsi, whos led recent GM searches for the Panthers, Atlanta Falcons and Chicago Bears, said he agreed to run the Lions search at the behest of Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell because Lions owner Martha Ford was so committed to try and get this thing on the right track.
Any reason why the Panthers owner is involved ?

Accorsi, whos led recent GM searches for the Panthers, Atlanta Falcons and Chicago Bears, said he agreed to run the Lions search at the behest of Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell because Lions owner Martha Ford was so committed to try and get this thing on the right track.
He and Martha have a thing going.

What to make of the fact that Caldwell's fate was supposed be announced Sunday, then Monday, and here it is Thursday and still no news? Having second thoughts? Still working on convincing Martha? Negotiating with McDaniels?

Pretty sure it's a 3-way involving Caldwell. This is the main reason he is back this year.

Pretty sure it's a 3-way involving Caldwell. This is the main reason he is back this year.
It certainly isn't because they are trying to build a winning organization. Their schedule is harder than 2016 was and when you have a HC that is afraid to take chances and put up points on the board, it's a recipe for losing. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/72122/understanding-why-the-detroit-lions-are-not-throwing-to-calvin-johnson-deep

It certainly isn't because they are trying to build a winning organization. Their schedule is harder than 2016 was and when you have a HC that is afraid to take chances and put up points on the board, it's a recipe for losing. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/72122/understanding-why-the-detroit-lions-are-not-throwing-to-calvin-johnson-deep
Alot can change year to year but their schedule is not harder next year. Afc south n nfc east. Instead of nfc west and afc west

Meanwhile, in an even bigger surprise, Austin looks set to return. Only HC spot still open is Tenn, and they seem likely to bring back Mularkey.

Really surprising no one's hired him yet. Do you think he doesn't interview well or something? I seem to recall hearing the opposite.

FWIW, the last two coaches I remember who were locks for HC jobs but took forever to get hired were Marvin Lewis and Rivera. Based on that precedent, whoever finally ends up with Austin should be in pretty good shape.

Alot can change year to year but their schedule is not harder next year. Afc south n nfc east. Instead of nfc west and afc west
This is true.

Just heard the news.

Sorry Lions fans. There goes hope for another year and probably pushes Calvin out the door another step towards retirement.

Meanwhile, in an even bigger surprise, Austin looks set to return. Only HC spot still open is Tenn, and they seem likely to bring back Mularkey.

Really surprising no one's hired him yet. Do you think he doesn't interview well or something? I seem to recall hearing the opposite.

FWIW, the last two coaches I remember who were locks for HC jobs but took forever to get hired were Marvin Lewis and Rivera. Based on that precedent, whoever finally ends up with Austin should be in pretty good shape.
Unfortunately austin is the token rooney rule interview

I'm okay with this.

We likely keep both our coordinators.

Calvin more likely to come back without another full regime change.

Was never a fan of Caldwell but I take the word of journalists and players alike when they say he is a good organiser that commands the respect of the players and that the current roster play for him.

It's the smart play by Quinn. Give yourself a free year to completely evaluate the roster and the coaches. Our schedule will be easier next season and we will have some continuity. Caldwell either takes us to the playoffs or he doesn't and his fate will most likely be decided on that alone. Quinn won't lose either way.

I like the position we are in for next season. Easier schedule. Decent roster. A plethora of draft picks. A seemingly good relationship between our OC and Stafford.

Absolutely no reason we can't make the playoffs next year and if we don't then everybody that wants Caldwell gone will get their wish.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
zftcg said:

Curious as to why you think that. Do you think most teams conduct token interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule? And do you think Austin would not be considered for HC opportunities if he was white?

zftcg said:

Curious as to why you think that. Do you think most teams conduct token interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule? And do you think Austin would not be considered for HC opportunities if he was white?
Yes

No idea

lod01 said:
That's right. I was looking at 2017. So they get an easy schedule, win more games against other losers, think they've turned the corner again. Keep Caldwell, Wash, rinse repeat.

8-8 with three soul-crushing losses that by all rights should have gone the other way.
Because they let their foot off the gas by order of Herminator Caldwell and the other teams come back in the 4th Q to beat them. It's almost like they own the patent on that.

8-8 with three soul-crushing losses that by all rights should have gone the other way.
Because they let their foot off the gas by order of Herminator Caldwell and the other teams come back in the 4th Q to beat them. It's almost like they own the patent on that.
Living away from Detroit and seeing other teams, they absolutely do not have a corner on that market. But that's the difference between good and bad. Look at Pittsburgh this year and some of their mind-boggling losses.

Hes not a scout anymore, Quinn has got to slick that hair back and start looking like a business man and not my 16 year old.

The problem with getting rid of everyone is that you need to know who exactly would be available to improve not just the HC position but also the new OC & DC you will be needing. Just like those who say get rid of the QB but are clueless as to who they could actually get that would really be any better.

Yes

No idea
Well, at least we agree on one thing.

Users who are viewing this thread