What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (19 Viewers)

The offense has at times had great success early (PHI game) or late in games (virtually every week.) But the rushing attack without AA has fallen from third in YPA after two games to 25th. Only Theo is at better than 4; the other four RBs uses this year are all below 3. MJJ hasn't gotten loose much since September ended, and EE - who looked to be emerging as a top 6 TE & had at least 5 targets in every game - was inexplicably uninvolved on Turkey Day.

Without Abdullah - with Bostic getting close, he's likely to have his season officially ended soon - this team doesn't have enough playmakers to win shootouts. They've held opponents to >20 five straight weeks & they're doing just enough to get by. But you can't ignore they're 26th in total offese, 28th in fewest 3--N-outs.

The Saints have the number one offense because they have a plethora of weapons.  Brees is completing close to 80% over the last month, and PFF rates their O-line run blocking as the best in the NFL (hello, Dallas?) - and they keep their backs fresh by sales splitting the work load. Thomas is a special rookie but Cooks & Snead can hurt you as well. At home, they're a very tough out.

Between Martin and Prayer the Lions might have the best kicking game in the league. That matters a lot more in 19-17 games than when it's a 34-31 track meet.

Hard to see them winning this one. Which means New Years Day might find two 8-7 teams playing for the division title. Even if they're 9-6 and up one, the Pack could win by sweeping the season series. 

The Saints defense is a sieve. The opportunity is there. With a losing record, they're the number 9 seed today, a game and a half from the playoffs & two behind the Falcons. Hardly a super team. 

Whitehead (leading tackler) likely misses this one with a knee. Levy? Lions are petitioning the league for a new injury designation - "Whatever" - so you have to figure Bynes is a key. Ansah needs to have breakout game. Robinson is coming on, but they need more big plays. 20 sacks and 12 turnovers through 11 is not enough. They have been much, much better on third down of late (>32% the last 5 after being DFL the first 6 weeks.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit isnt winning this game. They do not have the fire power.
OR the defense to compete. I dont understand the love for Stafford on top of it.
If he didnt stink for the first 3 quarters of every game, he wouldnt need to stress his fans out with a last second drive every week.
Stafford has 1 multiple TD game since week 6, Kaep has had 4 in the same time.
So many people are going to play him this week, and not expecting his 1 TD, even though thats all he has done since week 6.
Not trying to pick an argument since I'm pretty sure most Lions fans agree, they have seen the games.

WheelsUp said:
OR the defense to compete. I dont understand the love for Stafford on top of it.
If he didnt stink for the first 3 quarters of every game, he wouldnt need to stress his fans out with a last second drive every week.
So many people are going to play him this week, and not expecting his 1 TD, even though thats all he has done since week 6.
Not trying to pick an argument since I'm pretty sure most Lions fans agree, they have seen the games.
yes, Stafford has been the problem with the Lions offense :loco:

Jomar, tell me where I said that? I didnt know criticizing a players play meant they were the only problem.
Lose the fandom to see clearly, because you aint reading what I said clearly. I did not say that.

But.

Do they have the fire power? Are they not the bottom of the league in scoring?
Have the not trailed in every 4th Q this year?
Does he have more than 1 multiple TD game since week 6?

If any of those are incorrect or unfair, please, provide a source that says otherwise.
I know we live in a post truth world, but numbers do not lie.

WheelsUp said:
I dont understand the love for Stafford on top of it.
If he didnt stink for the first 3 quarters of every game, he wouldnt need to stress his fans out with a last second drive every week
how are people supposed to read these statements? 

we can't run the ball.  at all.  so we have ZERO firepower in our run game.  the defense has been banged up all season.  the fact we've trailed every game in the 4th, he's had 1 td, all seem like things some Stafford haters would point to say he stinks.  without Stafford, we are lucky to be 3-8.  you play to win the game.  he's made the plays when it counts all year. now he stinks for 3 quarters?  give me a break.

It is true. I read it somewhere and also saw it on NFL Network and ESPN. I'll try to find a link.
No link but yeah it's true. 1974 @ CIN was the last time they won on the road the week after after Thanksgiving. Of course they haven't played on the road after Thanksgiving since 2011 so not sure how relevant it is because it wasn't this coach or 95% of these players. All it really tells you is they have been a historically bad franchise. We already knew that.

In the 41 seasons 1975-2015, they've had ten winning teams. If you want to find negative stats / trends, I promise you it'll be easy if you're looking through the past results of a team that has been .500 or below 31 of the last 41 seasons.

WheelsUp said:
Stinking fantasy wise and real life wise are different in these cases.

I haven't seen a game yet where Stafford stunk in real life.  More like he has been held back until the 4th quarter of every game.

Fantasy wise.. yes he has stunk and I am debating Kaep over him even against NO.

WheelsUp said:
This thread is 71 pages long. Find one post where Stafford is being touted as a future HoFer or elite in today's league. Just one. FF owners might get amped about Stafford (esp earlier in his career when volume was everything), but Lions fans are pretty even about Matthew's talent and limitations. Actually, I often hear Michigan visitors express shock at how much the Lions QB gets ripped locally on sports talk radio.

We often times note he's been very efficient under Jim Bob Cooter. He has played at a high level often over the last 19 games. That's not hype, just look up his game logs. Relative to that span his numbers have been down since Week 6, but he hasn't been inaccurate, thrown bad interceptions or taken too many sacks. Should we consider the skill player injuries (AA, Theo, Marving Jones, Ebron) that span? They don't have a whole lot of playmakers. Stafford hasn't had a bad game since Chicago, but they def go long stretches without sustaining drives. The run blocking and talent at RB hasn't been good. 

Yes the Lions have a good shot to loose to the Saints today.

But it's not because Stafford stinks, or can't play a complete game or can't put up a high scoring game with these players.

-----------------------

It's the offensive style implanted by the coaching staff, the Lions have gone to a dink n dunk don't break it first offensive scheme.

They have the QB an the fire power to put up big points, just the scheme now is not setup for that, but it could be, maybe even today.

There gunna need some big plays/points today to be in this game, Saints offense is just that good, the Lions will need more points than there lately outcomes.

But they really do have the tools needed if they decide to open it up!

The coaching has wanted exactly what Stafford has done this season, an playing very well while doing it, but they will need more points against high power teams.

This week the points are going to be needed, we'll have to see how they respond....

Marvin Jones inactive as expected. That makes Andre Roberts the WR3. TJ Jones was resigned this week but I don't think he'll get many snaps.

WheelsUp said:

Brilliant.

I honestly think MIN takes the division. I'll eat my sock if Detroit takes the division. not happening with that defense.

16,20,16,19,13 and now 13 pts (including NO) in their last 6. My only question is will it be tube or ankle cotton we are swallowing?

16,20,16,19,13 and now 13 pts (including NO) in their last 6. My only question is will it be tube or ankle cotton we are swallowing?
Doesn't matter, just cut it up into small pieces & cook it all day in broth. Add browned stew meat, carrots, red potatoes, mushrooms, couple bay leaves - that sock will taste just fine.

Doesn't matter, just cut it up into small pieces & cook it all day in broth. Add browned stew meat, carrots, red potatoes, mushrooms, couple bay leaves - that sock will taste just fine.
The browned stew meat will undoubtedly be crow. The tastiest part of this dish.

Brees TD-less at home for the first time since 2009. We've talked a lot about Cooter but I'll give it up to Austin for this game. They studied some film and paralyzed one of the league's best offenses on the road. Bravo.  :clap:

Impressed. Not sure how they did it. Nice win. Up to that coaching staff to make sure they dont crap the bed next week vs chicago.  Tough game for green bay vs seattle at home. I think minnesota is toast

as mentioned earlier in here, it would be lion like to lose to chicago, who does not look bad with barkely. 

thinking of taking Detroit in my survivor league but this just screams trap, even though Detroit should destroy them. 

Detroit is winning this division. GB looks no less a mess. Minnesota is in a tail spin. 

Is that the most legit Lions win in recent years? Maybe GB at home in '14, though they always seem to beat GB at home. (Winning at Lambeau last year was a shock, but that was the start of GB's tailspin and the LIons looked pretty awful). Before that ...

I'm just not used to Detroit winning games I had no expectations of them winning. Hell, I'm probably going to cheer for NO the rest of the year so that Detroit's win looks all the more impressive.

Is that the most legit Lions win in recent years? Maybe GB at home in '14, though they always seem to beat GB at home. (Winning at Lambeau last year was a shock, but that was the start of GB's tailspin and the LIons looked pretty awful). Before that ...

I'm just not used to Detroit winning games I had no expectations of them winning. Hell, I'm probably going to cheer for NO the rest of the year so that Detroit's win looks all the more impressive.
I think it is their most impressive win in a long time. This was supposed to be a transition season while Quinn put his pieces in place. I am the farthest thing from a Caldwell fan but the game plan today was impressive. The defense was better than I could have ever hoped and the offense was more complete than it has been in a long time.

Just an enjoyable day as a Lions fan. 

Good to see Stafford produce lately. The fire power not being their scares me, but they played very very well on the road. Brees did a lot to lose this game.
Would love to see the Lions capitalize on this, Stafford needs to keep this play up on the road vs. NYG and DAL.
But enjoy this win, not what I was expecting. Not that you can expect Brees to go TD-less at home.
This franchise needs success, I'm not a Lions fan but would love to see them surprise.

My favourite moment of this game was Zenner running up the guts repeatedly, playing great kill the clock football on the road against a completely demoralised and gassed Saints D in the 4th quarter. Even when we don't put up big points we sustain big drives in most games. Really told yesterday.

Not only sitting pretty to win the division, but in decent position to get a first round bye.  Still a pretty tough remaining schedule.  But considering they started 1-3, it is amazing they are in this position.  

Not only sitting pretty to win the division, but in decent position to get a first round bye.  Still a pretty tough remaining schedule.  But considering they started 1-3, it is amazing they are in this position.  
:yes:  Lions are in the driver's seat for the division. 

Odds are they finish 2-2 for a 10-6 record. At the Giants and Dallas will be tough, home against the bears and pack are certainly winnable. Although the Giants are inconsistent.

Don't think the Vikings win in green Bay but their other 3 games are relatively easy. 

If the pack can beat Seattle at home (highly doubtful - but without Earl, maybe? ) week 17 could be for the title (I forget how tie beakers work beyond head to head ). 

With Russell healthy it seems Seattle is likely to take the 2 seed.  

I'll be at the Giants game December 18. Definitely winnable. The Big Blue fans in my office are questioning if they'll another game - just look at their schedule.

First things first. Chicago beat us the first time around, and it took an 85 yard PR & 2 pt conversion with 1:52 left to make the final as close as it was. Stafford has his worst game in Week 4. The Bears had 6 sacks yesterday. They were very efficient on third down & in the RZ. I don't care what their record is, divisional games are always tough.

The MNF game in Dallas seems hopeless.  Then again nobody liked their chances in New Orleans. Historically the Lions have done well against them, winning 9 of the last 16 & 11 of 19.

But let's say they go 2-1 and the Pack sweep their next 3. That still means New Year's Day is for the division title since GB would earn a sweep & the first tiebreaker.

The Lions have whipped the Saints two years in a row in the Superdome (whatever they call it now.) In those 120 minutes, Brees & Co never had the lead.

Oh sure, we're all feeling good now. And after Detroit beats Chicago next week and, paired with GB's loss to Seattle, goes up three, we'll be throwing caution to the wind and making plans for the playoffs.

But consider this scenario. Detroit loses its next two tough road match-ups (@DAL, @NYG) while GB beats up on the rest of the division. And all of a sudden we're right back where we always are, staring another collapse in the face and needing to beat Aaron $%$*^@ Rodgers to avoid it.

Now, be completely honest: Did you read the preceding paragraph ruefully nodding your head? Or were you already banging it on the table?

Oh sure, we're all feeling good now. And after Detroit beats Chicago next week and, paired with GB's loss to Seattle, goes up three, we'll be throwing caution to the wind and making plans for the playoffs.

But consider this scenario. Detroit loses its next two tough road match-ups (@DAL, @NYG) while GB beats up on the rest of the division. And all of a sudden we're right back where we always are, staring another collapse in the face and needing to beat Aaron $%$*^@ Rodgers to avoid it.

Now, be completely honest: Did you read the preceding paragraph ruefully nodding your head? Or were you already banging it on the table?
The past does not equal the future.

The past does not equal the future.
Welcome, stranger! You must be new around here.  :D

Seriously, I hope you're right. And that post was mostly about preparing everyone -- well, mostly myself -- in case the worst does happen. But I do think Detroit needs to steal a win in Weeks 15-16. Either catch Dallas napping after they've locked everything up or get a "Bad Eli" game (which is definitely in play).

This team is less emotional than Lions teams in the past. I think that speaks to their security in their own abilities. I've seen false bravado & swagger dissolve under pressure. That's been their m.o. for years - go up big, turtle up & hope to hang on versus better teams. This locker room stays cool. 

Both lines are playing very well right now. This is a young offensive line. Swanson was a terrible C last year but in his third year he has improved dramatically. Both rookies are getting better every week - Glasgow has started 8 straight at LG, Decker hasn't missed a snap at LT. Reiff is better suited for RT & Warford has been a road grader. 

Taylor is trending down - Hyder & Bryant are getting more snaps - but Ansah seems to be getting good pressure consistently even if he isn't recording sacks. Haloti had a couple great plays where he moved the LOS on 3rd & short. A'Shawn has been coming in in limited snaps (they rotate liberally to keep them fresh.)

Bynes had an outstanding game at MLB in relief of Whitehead. They're thin at LB, I'm expecting them to use their D2RfmIR on him in the next week or two.

Slay continues to play at a high level, we knew Diggs would be a solid slot corner but Lawson seems to be giving up less big plays (but he always needs safety help.) Killebrew has been outstanding on third down. Quinn is a stabilizer & leader - relative to past years, this is a solid group of DBs.

The Lions have the fewest misses tackles in the league.

The kicking game is among the best in the NFL, maybe the best combo around.

Stafford checked I nto the Tate TD - new play they ran for the first time - and is doing a nice job moving in the pocket to extend plays.

In other words, there are solid reasons to believe this team is for real. 

I was born in Detroit and moved to Phoenix with my family when I was a kid. I've been a lifelong Lions' fan, and it's awesome to see them doing so well this year. Fingers crossed.

IF they end up with a home playoff game, I'm booking a ticket and heading to Detroit. I just hope they don't play the Cardinals in that game...

IF they end up with a home playoff game, I'm booking a ticket and heading to Detroit. I just hope they don't play the Cardinals in that game...
So you think there's a change they'll make it as a wild card? I'll tell you right now... Detroit is likely winning this division unless they implode this week. 

Also, the Cardinals don't have a winning record... they are probably not making the playoffs. So Detroit's first round game would be vs the Giants or Buccaneers if the season were to end today

Winning the division guarantees a home game. Should probably book that ticket. Detroit's going to win the division or not make the playoffs IMO

So you think there's a change they'll make it as a wild card? I'll tell you right now... Detroit is likely winning this division unless they implode this week. 

Also, the Cardinals don't have a winning record... they are probably not making the playoffs. So Detroit's first round game would be vs the Giants or Buccaneers if the season were to end today

Winning the division guarantees a home game. Should probably book that ticket. Detroit's going to win the division or not make the playoffs IMO
Well, I can't actually book it yet because they might get the bye, then the weekend changes.

And, the Cards are still in it, dammit!

Well, I can't actually book it yet because they might get the bye, then the weekend changes.

And, the Cards are still in it, dammit!
Let's not get carried away... yes the Lions are in good shape for a bye, but the Seahawks... once they get through the Packers this week they have a cake walk the rest of the season. Lions have 2 difficult (DAL, NYG) and 1 wild card (GB- never know if McCarthy leaves his good game plan card at home) game left. I'm still not convinced the Lions finish the season on a positive note, but the division is so bad I can't see anyone else winning. Minnesota could still come up and steal it from you guys, but I doubt it. They need the Lions to lose to GB, NYG and DAL and they need to win out. All of that is possible but unlikely. If GB can beat DET at DET then they have something right going on and probably beat MIN at home the week before. 

Cardinals are in the hunt but not for long. I honestly think the NFC playoffs play out as follows:
1. Dallas
2. Seattle
3. Atlanta
4. Detroit
W: Tampa Bay
W: NYG or WAS (week 17 will decide who is in)

Detroit/Tampa Bay would be a great game to watch. Tampa Bay is probably one of those teams I'd be nervous to face. They are getting hot and healthy at the right time

I think it'll be a case of the wild card team having a better record than the home team (Detroit).

But I've been wrong about Detroit already at least once so who knows. 

Users who are viewing this thread