What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (16 Viewers)

Biggest concern for me is a two fold one for Stafford - real life and fantasy - Riddick is so important for moving chains with pitches and short passes as well as being a very successful red zone target for Stafford. 

Biggest concern for me is a two fold one for Stafford - real life and fantasy - Riddick is so important for moving chains with pitches and short passes as well as being a very successful red zone target for Stafford. 
Lions are 2-0 (Rams, Redskins) without Riddick this year

Not pretty, but all's well that ends well. More or less.

So, honest question. Root for Seattle and almost eliminate the pack, or pull for GB so Detroit temporarily holds the #2 seed? 

I've got to go for the Pack losing just because I still can't quite trust Detroit. Plus I don't think I can say 'go Pack' without feeling ill.

Not pretty, but all's well that ends well. More or less.

So, honest question. Root for Seattle and almost eliminate the pack, or pull for GB so Detroit temporarily holds the #2 seed? 

I've got to go for the Pack losing just because I still can't quite trust Detroit. Plus I don't think I can say 'go Pack' without feeling ill.
I want Pack to win because in my wildest dream we go 4-0, Cowgirls go 1-3 & we're the #1 seed

Otherwise, want Seahawks so we can wrap up our first division title in 23 years

I live in AZ now and am having a very hard time rooting for Seattle, but that's what I'm doing. Would be so awesome to see the Lions win that division

couldn't feel better, why would a fan of this team not feel good about a win?
they didn't look real good. almost lost to chicago. if you're goal is to win the division, yeah you've got a lot to hang your hat on. if your goal is to win a super bowl or to at least go deep into the playoffs I'm not so sure you can feel good about barely escaping a team with a top 5 draft pick next season. of Detroit continues to play like that they'll be the weakest playoff team 

The Lions have won 8 of 9 times five times in their entire history - four times since they moved from Portsmouth- and only once since 1962.

1995, 1962, 1954, 1934 and 1931.

When you've won one playoff game in 59 years, quality of wins is of virtually no consequence.This week was probably there best chance of the last four to geta win. They did. That's all that matters. 

On to MetLife & the Giants. I'll be at the game wearing my colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
they didn't look real good. almost lost to chicago. if you're goal is to win the division, yeah you've got a lot to hang your hat on. if your goal is to win a super bowl or to at least go deep into the playoffs I'm not so sure you can feel good about barely escaping a team with a top 5 draft pick next season. of Detroit continues to play like that they'll be the weakest playoff team 
Why is so hard for you to just let us enjoy our best team in 25 years?

Do you think a team that hasn't won a division title in 23 years is worried about a deep run?

When is last time any of us went into the Packers thread & told you how weak your team looks? Never?

I think anyone poking holes in this win are going to poke holes in anything they ever do. The offensive line played their worst game of the year. Mind you, they were without their starting center which then displaced Glasgow and put Tomlinson back into a position to prove again he's not a starter in this league. Riddick sits which means they need to replace about 30% of their offensive production. Stafford hurts his hand early on and yet he perseveres and plays a pretty good game.

This game was more about survival and that's what good teams do when they are not at their best. I predicted a close game and they did what they needed to do. Bravo and let's move on.

Why is so hard for you to just let us enjoy our best team in 25 years?

Do you think a team that hasn't won a division title in 23 years is worried about a deep run?

When is last time any of us went into the Packers thread & told you how weak your team looks? Never?
that's because we haven't looked real weak until this year  ;)

didn't realize expectations were low. carry on!

And as it transpires Stafford has apparently played through torn ligaments in his finger. 

Bears had our number this season for whatever reason. The general consensus has been that they are better than their record because their defence is a good unit that can get after teams even despite having some injuries. 

They seem to know our offence well which may or may not be down to a few different things perhaps including Cooters history of working under Fox. 

We are the better team right now and have the better quarterback. Bears have some nice pieces to work with going forward though. 

Will take wins anyway they come. 

Stafford news isn't good though  

The Lions have given up 20 or fewer points in seven straight games in one season for the first time since 1961.

Detroit is 9-4 after Week 14 for 2nd time in Caldwell's three seasons. The ONLY other times they have been 9-4 was 1991 - also the last time they won a playoff game - and 1970, when they made their only playoff appearances between 1958 and 1982.

Aside - They were 11-2 in 1962 but lost their finale & missed the playoffs.

With a 27-18 regular season record, Caldwell has had the most successful start to his career of any Lions HC in the 51 seasons of the SB era. That's also one more win than any Lions HC in their 87 season (83 in Detroit) history. Only Buddy Parker, with a record of 26-9-1 plus back-to-back NFL titles in the postseason, has accomplished more.

Lions are now the second seed in the NFC. Keep the pedal down.

The Lions have given up 20 or fewer points in seven straight games in one season for the first time since 1961.

Detroit is 9-4 after Week 14 for 2nd time in Caldwell's three seasons. The ONLY other times they have been 9-4 was 1991 - also the last time they won a playoff game - and 1970, when they made their only playoff appearances between 1958 and 1982.

With a 27-18 regular season record, Caldwell has had the most successful start to his career of any Lions HC in the 51 seasons of the SB era. That's also one more win than any Lions HC in their 87 season (83 in Detroit) history. Only Buddy Parker, with a record of 26-9-1 plus back-to-back NFL titles in the postseason, has accomplished more.

dallas will probably have nothing to play for, and NYG doesn't impress me at all.

12-4!!!!!

Vikings fan here.  Completely in the Lions corner for the rest of the year, assuming they don't play the Purple.  

Congrats on such a fun season, Lions fans!  Go get the North and the second seed!

And screw the Packers.

I'm pulling for the Lions to go far,  but I just don't think they're that good. They're playing well and I hope they kick the Packers ###.  Hope I'm wrong on them.  Hate the damn Packers and the Cowboys. 

Hell of a run

The bad news is that, for the purposes of breathing room, nothing went the Lions way (Giants, Bucs, Falcons, Pack & Vikes all also won). 

The good news is that neither the Cowboys nor the Giants look as scary based on the Sunday night game. Oh, and they're currently the #2 seed and have some non-infinitesimal chance at #1

Vikings fan here.  Completely in the Lions corner for the rest of the year, assuming they don't play the Purple.  

Congrats on such a fun season, Lions fans!  Go get the North and the second seed!

And screw the Packers.
:thumbup:  I'll be rooting for the Vikes Wk 16 @ GB as the much lesser of two 'evils'. Detroit needs at least one more win to get the North, and then we'll see what happens. No Lions fan will feel too safe until such time that they clinch things.

The bad news is that, for the purposes of breathing room, nothing went the Lions way (Giants, Bucs, Falcons, Pack & Vikes all also won). 

The good news is that neither the Cowboys nor the Giants look as scary based on the Sunday night game. Oh, and they're currently the #2 seed and have some non-infinitesimal chance at #1

:thumbup:  I'll be rooting for the Vikes Wk 16 @ GB as the much lesser of two 'evils'. Detroit needs at least one more win to get the North, and then we'll see what happens. No Lions fan will feel too safe until such time that they clinch things.
Dallas has beat some very good teams.  Only crutch is they have a rookie qb. I wouldn't go just by tonight.  Packers are turning back into the Packers,  unfortunately.  Rodgers is amazing. 

All the Lions fans I have met have been very decent folks, taking in stride some of the worse management in football over the last 50+ years. Absent brief respites with Herman Moore and Barry Sanders this team would have tried the patience of all the Martyrs and Saints, but Lions fans have hung in there.  Perhaps this year will give them some reward for their devotion.  Good Luck and good health down the stretch.

Happiness to be a Lions fan.  Not unlike how the Oakland season has gone.  

The Raiders seem to be the "media darlings" this year even though Raiders fans or Reggie followers have seen this building.  I admittedly don't follow the NFL much of the last three years outside of my two favorite teams, and admit to disowning the aforementioned team until ownership changed, but haven't seen a Lions game on TV yet -- I only saw the Cowboys for the first time tonight.  I know how excited the Raiders thread is (despite the prime-time disappointment they just put up), and how strong and passionate that fan base is yet I have to respect a Lions fan.   I don't have the guts to be a fan of a team run WORSE. . .  LONGER.  You guys and Browns fans. . .  All  :thumbup: .  To your current situation --   :banned: :banned:

Obviously there's major reason to be concerned about Stafford. He's probably not getting better at any point the rest of the year & is just gonna keep aggravating his finger injury? I'm no doctor but that's my impression. It clearly affected his grip & velocity on several plays yesterday.

Add the uncertainty about Swanson & Zenner (both in concussion protocol), Riddick battling leg injuries, Swaggy is hurt for the 3rd or 4th time this year...not looking good for the offense. Next week it'll be wet & miserable at MetLife (but not cold - forecast says 47.)

On the other hand, the defense with Ziggy & Levy back is as healthy as it's been all year.

This is a very confident (but not cocky) team. When they need a big play they expect someone to come up with one. Nobody was like "wow we got bailed out" in the locker room yesterday. It was "see that play Ansah made caused the holding call, then Haloti broke through & caused the other hold. Doesn't show up in the stat sheet but that's as good as two sacks." The Bears were in max protection the first three quarters. When Chicago by necessity went away from that, Hyder got the big third down sack. 

Postgame locker room (mobile):
http://yi.nzc.am/ZTN5p

Does anyone want it to come down to January 1 versus GB? If it does, the winner is likely hosting the loser one week later.

Win a tough road game Sunday, and the Bears win - very long shot, but they did it last year - and we have the division wrapped up. Two weeks to get healthy & maybe even hang onto the bye. Monday dreaming...

Two very tough road games coming up. Need Stafford to be at his healthy best to stand a chance.

Rookie Graham Glasgow had the highest grade of any linemen yesterday. Hard to tell with concussions but hopefully Swanson is back this week. They've both been consistently good. Decker has been getting better but seemed to struggle a bit yesterday. On the other hand, 88 yards rushing is pretty excellent. Just need two of the three banged up RBs to be available (& hopefully #25 is one of them.)

Levy was on a snap count but seemed to cover a lot of ground. Would think he'll be in for a heavier workload this week. Slay getting beat on that simple move yesterday was absurd, but he and Lawson played well yesterday. No uptick for Killebrew yesterday, looked like Barnes was the slot corner often.

Detroit REALLLLLY needs to find a way to win one of these next 2 games.  Playing GB for the division and a playoff spot is not what they want.  

Does anyone want it to come down to January 1 versus GB? If it does, the winner is likely hosting the loser one week later.
But it's very likely to happen, right? (And therefore very likely to be the SNF game Week 17).

By my mental calculations, Detroit's magic number over the Packers (combination of their wins/GB losses) is two. A Week 17 win would take care of that all by itself, but otherwise, it would require them to beat both NY and Dallas, or else beat one and hope the Packers slip against Chicago/Minn.

(Conversely, by virtue of their season sweep, Detroit's magic number over Minnesota is one -- a single Detroit win or Minn loss eliminates them.)

Both QBs with a bad finger. Would make for a great Super Bowl.
Same injury from what they were saying yesterday (pre-X-ray & evaluation, beats opinions.)

Expect no info on Stafford this week.

"Check the report."

INJURY REPORT: Stafford, Questionable, Finger

They almost got Dre to talk about his injury.

What kept you out for 12 weeks?

"Yeah, it was my knee. Ummm...I dunno, ya gotta ask Caldwell."

Starting center being out is no small thing. Same with Theo, a good short option for a QB with a bad finger. Levy is back though so all is not grim.
A year ago I would have said Swanson being out was a good thing. Amazing what a year can do for a player. He's really come along nicely and his absence is felt. 

Getting Swanson and Theo back is necessary to compete in these next three games. 

But it's very likely to happen, right? (And therefore very likely to be the SNF game Week 17).

By my mental calculations, Detroit's magic number over the Packers (combination of their wins/GB losses) is two. A Week 17 win would take care of that all by itself, but otherwise, it would require them to beat both NY and Dallas, or else beat one and hope the Packers slip against Chicago/Minn.

(Conversely, by virtue of their season sweep, Detroit's magic number over Minnesota is one -- a single Detroit win or Minn loss eliminates them.)
####, you're right.  This makes me sick to my stomach.  They'd need some help to just get the wild card if they can win just one game (not GB).

Once we got rid of that Calvin Johnson loser we took off - That is the Lions and my FF team. It's much more enjoyable watching guys like Crowder, Shepard, Wallace and Meredith catch passes than watching Calvin do nothing for 1st halves of NFL games. :popcorn:

Actually, I wonder what he is thinking right now. No matter how nice he is, he has got to be thinking to himself, (other than 'I am really rich'), 'you gotta be ####in kidding, I sit thru an 0-16 season along with many other sucky seasons and NOW without me they are winning the division'.

GB looked good yesterday. 3 in a row. But conversely, they have very little margin for error. If the Lions go 1-1 v. NYG & DAL, they have to finish the year with six straight wins. At 9-7 they'd need a lot of help. Divisional games are never easy, and they have two road games, same as the Lions. Our defense is a lot healthier & neither team runs the ball well (though both did OK yesterday.)

CBS has Detroit's division title chances at 75.2% and Playoff projection at 86.4%.

For Green Bay, its 21.6% & 29.3%.

GB was 30-93-2 yesterday on the ground. DET was 28-114-1. First time since AA went down they went over 100. Pretty solid considering two new guys in the line.

GB looked good yesterday. 3 in a row. But conversely, they have very little margin for error. If the Lions go 1-1 v. NYG & DAL, they have to finish the year with six straight wins. At 9-7 they'd need a lot of help. Divisional games are never easy, and they have two road games, same as the Lions. Our defense is a lot healthier & neither team runs the ball well (though both did OK yesterday.)

CBS has Detroit's division title chances at 75.2% and Playoff projection at 86.4%.

For Green Bay, its 21.6% & 29.3%.
This might just be me being a lions fan, but those numbers should be flipped.  Cheering for everyone in the division not named the Packers at this point.

lod001 said:
Once we got rid of that Calvin Johnson loser we took off - That is the Lions and my FF team. It's much more enjoyable watching guys like Crowder, Shepard, Wallace and Meredith catch passes than watching Calvin do nothing for 1st halves of NFL games. :popcorn:

Actually, I wonder what he is thinking right now. No matter how nice he is, he has got to be thinking to himself, (other than 'I am really rich'), 'you gotta be ####in kidding, I sit thru an 0-16 season along with many other sucky seasons and NOW without me they are winning the division'.
Crying on the phone every night to Tiki Barber and Drew Bledsoe?

Caldwell at the presser..no questions about Stafford's finger.  Well that is the only thing anyone wants to know!!

Caldwell at the presser..no questions about Stafford's finger.  Well that is the only thing anyone wants to know!!
:lmao:

They are consistent in their policy.

"Check the report "

Rapp said today he'll be wearing a glove the rest of the year. Not serious, not expected to have surgery. Of course it's complete bull####, guy has no better idea than anyone else. Dude would have been a top producer if his career had gone in a different direction.

Having seen Levy's interview my suspicion is that  he's bone on bone in one knee. Just a guess but as someone who's had that and the resulting micro fracture, the way he was talking struck a chord. Whatever it is, I didn't really like the language of the interview for going forward 

Users who are viewing this thread