What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (9 Viewers)

What do people think about Riddick's prospects ROS? I'm not really sure what's happened to him, other than the variance you often see with passing-down backs, but the oddest part is that he's off to such a bad start despite the fact that he's finally managed to stay healthy (touch wood).

I could see Tate's injury opening up some opportunity for him, but it's hard to predict what could make him productive when I'm not really sure what's held him back so far.
Teams key on him more this year, and taking away Stafford’s security blanket is an important part of disrupting the Lion offense. I’m not especially hopeful Cooter will find creative ways to get him more involved by lining him up in the slot or wide.

I might be off base but I’d like to see a package of plays installed just for Billingsly. He lacks experience so it’s a WC, but he’s quick as a water bug and has some serious jets. Get it to him quick & let’s see what kind of YAC he can produce. He’s short but strong as a bull, I think he could be a decent replacement for Tate if they trust him.

@BobbyLayne what's your thoughts on Golladay?  This week and ROS.  thanks. 
Well I think he's shown in pre-season and Week 1 he will be the top RZ option some weeks. He has tremendous size, catch radius, and above average strength. But he was pretty quiet Weeks 2 & 3 before he got hurt, so hard to rely upon. So far we haven't seen volume so he'll be TD dependent. He is kind of average (4.5 40) in both straight line speed and agility (7.0 3 cone.) I like him a lot, but not confident he has a full route tree at this stage of his development. He was a beast in the MAC but doesn't enjoy as wide of a physical margin in the NFL. Whether he becomes a well rounded WR is dependent on how well he hones his craft. Seems like a pretty crisp route runner and Stafford trusts him, but not sure he's going to be elite. But it's pretty early. RoS? Honestly, I think there are better options. I have him rostered and might start him Week 9, and unless he really explodes, will probably drop him for a lottery ticket RB for the last 4 weeks of the FF regular season.

For this week, nah. We still don't know how healthy or effective the O-line will be. I expect Shazier to have a lot of fun Sunday night. Expecting a lot of batted balls and another half dozen sacks. JBC better come up with something other than "let's run tons of shotgun and get the ball out quick, they'll never expect that." They have the most telegraphic play calling in the league, especially in the run game. The patterns based on personnel, down, & distance are so transparent, and without Tate, they don't have a lot of guys who scare other teams. Hope they surprise me, but I'm not impressed with this coaching staff's creativity. They rarely make halftime adjustments on either side of the ball. They think the key is execution, not reacting to what other teams are doing to be effective. It's mind boggling both Cooter and Austin think it's OK to not change the game plan even when it's not working. 

As a general offensive philosophy and for tactical planning purposes, Caldwell/Cooter seemed quite content in Weeks 1-4 (when they went 3-1, before the bottom fell out) to do just enough. They have some of the best special teams in the NFL - great PRer, outstanding long range kicker, top 5 punter (Martin is just coming back but Locke had the best net of his career I believe) - and a defense that emphasizes turnovers. They want an offense that doesn't turn the ball over and controls the clock with the run game and short passes.

On defense, they had serious problems v. Carolina because they sold out for the run and flat out didn't cover a mediocre blocking TE, which Cam exploited. Curiously, they left their best edge setter (DE assigned to run containment) off the active roster in New Orleans and got toasted big time on outside runs. They actually played the Saints passing game fairly well, and 28 of the 52 points they gave up were straight off Stafford's turnovers. Truly weird game, I rewatched the condensed tape Tuesday night.

I bring all that up because even if they fix the schematic issues on D, they're not really looking to be aggressive offensively. So I would generally avoid all Lions for FF purposes, because they hope to win by being conservative and keeping the offense manageable. You might think it's a curious stance given Stafford's arm strength, but it's not like gunslinger Matthew was dominating - he actually was regressing in year 6 & the beginning of year 7. They used to lose a lot of shootouts and Stafford made some questionable throws with horrible mechanics. He's much more inclined to not take shots now, just dink and dunk down the field, letting his receivers make YAC, and trying to stay committed to the run throughout the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams key on him more this year, and taking away Stafford’s security blanket is an important part of disrupting the Lion offense. I’m not especially hopeful Cooter will find creative ways to get him more involved by lining him up in the slot or wide.
Thanks, BL, I knew you wouldn't let me down! I thought about tagging you in my post, then figured posting in this thread is basically the same thing as tagging you.  :)

I do remember seeing something a few weeks ago about teams scheming to take out Riddick. I think we forget sometimes that most of these receiving backs are good as secondary options, but any defense worth its salt can scheme them out of the game if they don't have other weapons to worry about (slightly different context, but I'm reminded of the time Jimmy Graham was with the Saints; the Pats stuck Aqib Talib on him and he absolutely erased him from the earth).

Anyway, these are really good points, and maybe I was off base in expecting positive regression for Theo. At a minimum, seems worth waiting until we actually see it.

Two crappy years out of three. After suffering through a decade plus of mediocrity from Raiola I want an upgrade for 2018. Might be easiest to draft a LG and slide GG over, he’s versatile and done well at either spot.

You can see that they’re actually not that far off from having a top ten line. Get Decker back and figure out some schemes to get Swanson some help this year. When healthy, 4/5ths of the line is above average.

Lang isn’t a long term solution with his sketchy back issues so a top shelf guard is behind only edge rusher for next year. But both right side vets have been worth the investment.

We need more speed on offense. Dang, we just don’t have guys who stretch the field, Marvin is way too easy to take away. I knew when they gave him his $40M ($20M guaranteed) there was no way he was going to morph into a WR1.
It's really tough to assemble a line that gels and remains healthy enough to stay that way. Dallas was road grading people last year with a pro bowl line and a year later they are nowhere close (unless they play SF every week). I think this year was our chance to have the stars align till Decker got hurt.

Perhaps the coaching staff saw the lack of speed during the bye week film review and are trying to address it by inserting Billingslee. Makes sense especially when you are subtracting Tate right now.

I'm not optimistic this week. Tate essentially masks our lame running game by taking short passes and extending them. If he doesn't play, someone is going to have to step up (Riddick? Billingsly? Golladay?). 

I see a low scoring affair. 

Pitt 20 Detown 13

The Steelers know about Billingsly, he torched them for a 29 yard [catch n run] TD at Heinz Field in August 2016. He’s got obvious limitations due to his height but if they use him in the Tate role people are going be impressed with both his quickness and top gear.

The Lions finished the Saints game with only four healthy lineman, and Wagner played hurt because there was literally no one left. Greg Robinson will miss tonight’s game, & he’ll be replaced by Brian Mahalik (former DT they found on the street. The Stillers are 2nd in pressures & sacks, the Lions have given up 17 in the past three games.

Tate (Q), Jones, & Jones: If he plays, Golden will battle Mike Hilton, who's holding receivers to 0.67 yards per cover snap when lined up inside, the fourth-best rate (per PFF). It won't be much easier for Golladay's replacement, T.J. Jones; he'll see Artie Burns the most (12th with 0.74 yards/cover snap, 51% catch rate). Marvin Jones will get after Joe Haden on roughly half his routes. Since Week 2, Haden is fifth with 0.38 yards/cover snap and third in cover snaps/reception (28.9). As a unit, the Steelers are second in pass DVOA (per FO) and have allowed the fewest PPR points to WRs.

The Lions have won after the bye 5 years in a row.

Would anyone trust the Lions D this week at home against Big Ben? Turnovers, a pick 6, a TD return? 

I see many see a low scoring 20-17 game. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "teams have been calling" about the availability of Eric Ebron ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Less effective in the passing game than "blocking" option Darren Fells so far this season and seemingly falling more and more out of favor by the week, it makes sense for the Lions to move Ebron if they get any real interest. Still only 24, Ebron does have theoretical upside which perhaps another organization will think they can unlock. Ebron is under contract through 2018 after the Lions picked up his fifth-year option, but next year's salary is guaranteed for injury only.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

UHHHH YES PLEASE. He's shattered in this town. There's really no way to put the shards of glass back together again either. It's not his fault he was drafted so high, but he never helped his cause either with his immature and entitled attitude he's had.  :bye:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "teams have been calling" about the availability of Eric Ebron ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Less effective in the passing game than "blocking" option Darren Fells so far this season and seemingly falling more and more out of favor by the week, it makes sense for the Lions to move Ebron if they get any real interest. Still only 24, Ebron does have theoretical upside which perhaps another organization will think they can unlock. Ebron is under contract through 2018 after the Lions picked up his fifth-year option, but next year's salary is guaranteed for injury only.

UHHHH YES PLEASE. He's shattered in this town. There's really no way to put the shards of glass back together again either. It's not his fault he was drafted so high, but he never helped his cause either with his immature and entitled attitude he's had.  :bye:
Ebron doesn’t care if the Lions trade him or keep him

Pagano: Hold my beer
Pagano just does not have any Luck.
You haven't watched the Colts much, have you?

exhibit A

exhibit B

exhibit C

Caldwell's predecessor went 29-51 and was kind of jerky as a bonus. There were plenty of Detroit fans who wanted Wisenhunt, were bummed we were too slow in the process, losing him to the Titans. He lasted a year and a half there, going 3-20.

Guys I would prefer Caldwell over: Todd Bowles, John Fox, Jason Garrett, Adam Gase, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson, Dirk Koetter, Marvin Lewis, Anthony Lynn, Ben McAdoo, Sean McDermott, Mike Mularkey, Bill O'Brien, Kyle Shanahan...holy cow, that's an amazing list. 

But yeah, in game is not a strength for Jim Caldwell. He's gotten better the last couple years with clock management, and he's actually pretty aggressive in his decision making relative to his peers (there's been a few articles about this.) I don't know that switching out the HC gets us very far but I trust Quinn will know when the time is right. 

TBH I don't know what the answer is for this team. They need an edge rusher, lack depth on the O-line, and don't have a single playmaker that teams actually fear. The guys they ask to win games (Tate, Marvin Jones, Abdullah) are complementary pieces, not studs teams have to gameplan around. They have excellent individual players on defense (Robinson, Davis, Slay, Quinn) but generate no pressure, never blitz, and consistently give up big plays. No extra picks in 2018, gave up their 6th rounder to the LAR (Robinson) & might have traded their 7th rounder to TB (conditional pick, undisclosed.) 

Favorable schedule from here on out. Hoping they move Ebron. Taylor Decker should be back soon. 16 days to Opening Day.

Get what you can for the bum & see if anyone wants to bite on Megatron while they are at it. Even a couple extra low round picks are more than what they are getting from this idiot and a WR who might want to make a comeback somewhere else.

Get what you can for the bum & see if anyone wants to bite on Megatron while they are at it. Even a couple extra low round picks are more than what they are getting from this idiot and a WR who might want to make a comeback somewhere else.
It's curious when teams ask about Megatron they tell them to go talk to Calvin directly. Why not just say, sure give me XX pick(s) and he's all yours.

The Jags just acquired two-time Pro Bowl DT Marcell Dareus from the Bills for next years sixth-rounder. If that's the going rate for stud lineman, what's that make EE worth? $10 FABB money? Seriously, there's no way they are not cutting him before the new league year.  If you can't get a 6th/7th round pick for him, just let him hang around? I think the guy has been coasting most of his career, including college. He doesn't seem to have a passion or commitment, so what's the point of letting him hang around and be a cancer to younger guys? After awhile you just get tired of the excuses and apologies. Just move on.

League discipline for last night's fight? Hope not, but A'Shawn Robinson (ejected for fighting Pouncey), D.J. Hayden and defensive ends Jeremiah Valoaga and Cornelius Washington will hear from New York this week. The latter three ran onto to the field during the fight.

On to the always exciting Snap Counts Analysis:

-- Eric Ebron continues to have his offensive role diminished, this time beginning many series on the bench and finishing with just 34 offensive snaps. Darren Fells led the way for the fifth time in seven games (45 snaps), and earned a seventh straight start. With the trade deadline nearing, there's no question Ebron has already lost his hold on the No. 1 tight end role in this offense. And  if he is dealt, which is very much a possibility, rookie Michael Roberts figures to play an expanded role as well. He picked up 19 snaps as it was against Pittsburgh, a career high.

-- Golden Tate started a 55th straight game for Detroit, although got more breaks than usual as he played through a shoulder injury too. He saw the field for 62 percent of the offensive snaps, which was a low for him since he was benched against Chicago early last season. He still managed to finish with seven catches for 86 yards, although he also had a big fumble that killed a late scoring opportunity. 

-- With Taylor Decker, Greg Robinson and Emmett Cleary in street clothes, the Lions had just one offense tackle on their bench. And they wound up needing him too. Rick Wagner missed 10 snaps with a leg injury, which allowed Dan Skipper to get his first NFL action. On the left side, Brian Mihalik played all 71 offensive snaps, and in one of the biggest surprises of the night, held up well against that tough Pittsburgh front. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him start again next week, regardless of Greg Robinson's health. 

-- In his first game since Week 3, Dwayne Washington played 14 offensive snaps. He touched the ball nearly half the time he was on the field too, although gained just 12 yards on those six carries and was stuffed four times in goal-to-go situations.

-- Receiver Jace Billingsley played the first two snaps of his career. He did not touch the ball.

-- The Lions gave an offensive snap to a linebacker (Nick Bellore) and cornerback (Jamal Agnew). Agnew even touched the ball, turning a quick pass into 12 yards and a first down. He said it was his first bit of offense since high school.

-- On defense, rookie linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin made his impact felt on his 22 defensive snaps. He made four stops on the 17 run plays he saw, and finished with a team-high five tackles overall. With Jarrad Davis playing 100 percent of the snaps in the middle, it was a glimpse into what the future could hold for Detroit's linebacker corps. And it was promising. 

Offense
G T.J. Lang 71 (100 percent) 
C Travis Swanson 71 (100 percent) 
T Brian Mihalik 71 (100 percent) 
G Graham Glasgow 71 (100 percent) 
QB Matthew Stafford 71 (100 percent)
WR Marvin Jones 68 (96 percent)
T Rick Wagner 61 (86 percent) 
WR TJ Jones 52 (73 percent)
TE Darren Fells 45 (63 percent) 
WR Golden Tate 44 (62 percent)
TE Eric Ebron 34 (48 percent)
RB Ameer Abdullah 32 (45 percent)
RB Theo Riddick 30 (42 percent)
TE Michael Roberts 19 (27 percent) 
RB Dwayne Washington 14 (20 percent) 
WR Jared Abbrederis 13 (18 percent) 
T Dan Skipper 10 14 percent) 
WR Jace Billingsley 2 (3 percent)  :excited:   :towelwave:  #rudy #rudy #rudy
LB Nick Bellore 1 (1 percent) 
CB Jamal Agnew 1 (1 percent)

ADVERTISING

Defense
FS Glover Quin 64 (100 percent) 
LB Jarrad Davis 64 (100 percent) 
SS Tavon Wilson 64 (100 percent)
CB Darius Slay 63 (98 percent) 
DE Anthony Zettel 50 (78 percent)
DT Akeem Spence 48 (75 percent)
LB Tahir Whitehead 47 (73 percent) 
DE Ezekiel Ansah 47 (73 percent)
DT A'Shawn Robinson 46 (72 percent) 
CB Quandre Diggs 42 (66 percent) 
CB Nevin Lawson 27 (42 percent) 
DE Cornelius Washington 26 (41 percent)
CB D.J. Hayden 23 (36 percent) 
LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin 22 (34 percent) 
SS Miles Killebrew 17 (27 percent) 
DT Jeremiah Ledbetter 15 (23 percent) 
LB Nick Bellore 15 (23 percent) 
DE Jeremiah Valoaga 14 (22 percent) 
DT Khyri Thornton 10 (16 percent)

Special teams 
Nick Bellore 22 (81 percent)
Don Carey 22 (81 percent)
Jamal Agnew 18 (67 percent)
Milse Killebrew 18 (67 percent)
Charles Washington 18 (67 percent)
Steve Longa 18 (67 percent)
Jalen Reeves-Maybin 17 (63 percent)
Sam Martin 14 (52 percent)
Dwayne Washington 12 (44 percent)
Nevin Lawson 12 (44 percent)
Michael Roberts 11 (41 percent)
Quandre Diggs 10 (37 percent)
Jeremiah Ledbetter 9 (33 percent)
Darren Fells 8 (30 percent)
Jared Abbrederis 8 (30 percent)
Don Muhlbach 8 (30 percent)
Tim Lelito 6 (22 percent)
T.J. Lang 5 (19 percent)
Matt Prater 5 (19 percent)
Dan Skipper 5 (19 percent)
Travis Swanson 5 (19 percent)
Brian Mihalik 5 (19 percent)
Graham Glasgow 5 (19 percent)
Rick Wagner 4 (15 percent)
Glover Quin 4 (15 percent)
Jarrad Davis 4 (15 percent)
Darius Slay 4 (15 percent)
Tahir Whitehead 4 (15 percent)
A'Shawn Robinson 4 (15 percent)
Khyri Thornton 4 (15 percent)
Cornelius Washington 4 (15 percent)
D.J. Hayden 2 (7 percent)
Jeremiah Valoaga 2 (7 percent)

It's curious when teams ask about Megatron they tell them to go talk to Calvin directly. Why not just say, sure give me XX pick(s) and he's all yours.

The Jags just acquired two-time Pro Bowl DT Marcell Dareus from the Bills for next years sixth-rounder. If that's the going rate for stud lineman, what's that make EE worth? $10 FABB money? Seriously, there's no way they are not cutting him before the new league year.  If you can't get a 6th/7th round pick for him, just let him hang around? I think the guy has been coasting most of his career, including college. He doesn't seem to have a passion or commitment, so what's the point of letting him hang around and be a cancer to younger guys? After awhile you just get tired of the excuses and apologies. Just move on.
Ebron might get a 6th rd pick.  Most teams already have 2-3 TEs though.

The Lions outgained Pittsburgh 482-392. That's the third most yards in NFL history by a team that didn't score a touchdown.

That’s why I love this team - it’s always interesting! Like who knew 12 batted balls wasn’t the NFL record? It’s 14! We learn about all kinds of rules - 10-second runoffs, batted balls, face guarding is legal, challenging a play that’s automatically challenged makes it unchallengeable, completing the process. They’ve enriched my life.

And a guy who is a former WR & was a part-time CoP guy in college, hasn’t played a snap in six weeks, has a proven body of work over two seasons that he cannot run between the tackles - that’s a power back! See, bet you didn’t know that.

BobbyLayne said:
The Lions outgained Pittsburgh 482-392. That's the third most yards in NFL history by a team that didn't score a touchdown.

That’s why I love this team - it’s always interesting! Like who knew 12 batted balls wasn’t the NFL record? It’s 14! We learn about all kinds of rules - 10-second runoffs, batted balls, face guarding is legal, challenging a play that’s automatically challenged makes it unchallengeable, completing the process. They’ve enriched my life.

And a guy who is a former WR & was a part-time CoP guy in college, hasn’t played a snap in six weeks, has a proven body of work over two seasons that he cannot run between the tackles - that’s a power back! See, bet you didn’t know that.
Crazy coaching decisions as well.   Down by 1 Caldwell goes for the TD instead of taking the lead at home with a quarter to play.  Now the Lions are chasing those missed points.  Then down by 8 later he kicks the FG to put them down by 5 with time running out.  Anyway you slice it they still needed a TD somewhere.

After the missed FG we are thinking..OK the Lions have them pinned deep and the defense is playing well. Then on third and 10 the Steelers complete a 97 yard seam pass up the middle of the field for a TD...unreal.

Crazy coaching decisions as well.   Down by 1 Caldwell goes for the TD instead of taking the lead at home with a quarter to play.  Now the Lions are chasing those missed points.  Then down by 8 later he kicks the FG to put them down by 5 with time running out.  Anyway you slice it they still needed a TD somewhere.

After the missed FG we are thinking..OK the Lions have them pinned deep and the defense is playing well. Then on third and 10 the Steelers complete a 97 yard seam pass up the middle of the field for a TD...unreal.
He will never take that chance again since it blew up in his face. He will go back to kicking FGs, beating crappy teams and losing to good teams.

Yeah I'm okay with Caldwell going for the TD there.  Go for the jugular there, he was right that they weren't going to win on FGs and he's got them backed up if he fails.  Obviously turned out really poorly but I think it's the right play.

Maybe Ebron can turn it around after the couple 4th quarter receptions; to me he has been the biggest disappointment; it's hard to listen to the fans booing him but a lot of it seems to be lack of effort - he definitely alligator-armed the pass over the middle.  But if he could get some degree of momentum going to where the coaching staff wasn't afraid to play him over Fells, it would help the offense as a whole.  If he gets traded and we're left with Fells/Roberts I don't have a ton of hope for anything changing.  We'll be able to move the ball if we can get our OL healthy but not sure where we find red zone playmakers, Golladay?  Our defense is regressing too, no pass rush at all.  Really curious what the market for Ziggy Ansah will be after the season.

We beat Minnesota away so maybe we can pull it together starting this week.  Beating Green Bay in Lambeau should kickstart the mojo around here.

Yeah I'm okay with Caldwell going for the TD there.  Go for the jugular there, he was right that they weren't going to win on FGs and he's got them backed up if he fails.  Obviously turned out really poorly but I think it's the right play.

Maybe Ebron can turn it around after the couple 4th quarter receptions; to me he has been the biggest disappointment; it's hard to listen to the fans booing him but a lot of it seems to be lack of effort - he definitely alligator-armed the pass over the middle.  But if he could get some degree of momentum going to where the coaching staff wasn't afraid to play him over Fells, it would help the offense as a whole.  If he gets traded and we're left with Fells/Roberts I don't have a ton of hope for anything changing.  We'll be able to move the ball if we can get our OL healthy but not sure where we find red zone playmakers, Golladay?  Our defense is regressing too, no pass rush at all.  Really curious what the market for Ziggy Ansah will be after the season.

We beat Minnesota away so maybe we can pull it together starting this week.  Beating Green Bay in Lambeau should kickstart the mojo around here.
Ebron is fast and athletic but that is it. There are many fast athletic guys who are watching from their couch on Sundays because they can`t catch the ball. 

Ebron runs bad routes, has bad hands and has a low football IQ, disengages and engages throughout the game. Plus he talks way too much for his ability.  Basically had 1 catch, the 44 yard gain was a totally blown coverage by Pitt, nobody was within 15 yards of him.  Gnata could have gained 44 on that play.

Ebron is fast and athletic but that is it. There are many fast athletic guys who are watching from their couch on Sundays because they can`t catch the ball. 

Ebron runs bad routes, has bad hands and has a low football IQ, disengages and engages throughout the game. Plus he talks way too much for his ability.  Basically had 1 catch, the 44 yard gain was a totally blown coverage by Pitt, nobody was within 15 yards of him.  Gnata could have gained 44 on that play.
44 yard catch and run - Ebron

Not exactly. Now #98 in the slot def blew his assignment, because he lets him get a free release & tries to jump Tate’s inside route - you’ll notice a D-lineman has actually dropped into the same area, so basically triple coverage - but Ebron makes a terrific juke after the catch, starting back inside and then reversing to sprint outside past TJJ (engaged with #25.) The first time I watched it, I thought #28 made a mistake in recovery, but if tries to go inside TJJ to the sideline, he’s out of the play. Ebron forced that bad angle with his agility and speed. Any TE could have caught that, turned inside and picked up 15-18 yards, but in fact there are actually very few big men who could have made that into the 44 yarder it became.

Hey I’m not an Ebron apologist - I didn’t like the pick, don’t think he’s worked hard enough to hone his craft, & agree with most of what you wrote - but that play highlights what is so frustrating. He could have been a pro bowler if he took his profession seriously. Talent is only part of the equation to succeed at the highest level.

44 yard catch and run - Ebron

Not exactly. Now #98 in the slot def blew his assignment, because he lets him get a free release & tries to jump Tate’s inside route - you’ll notice a D-lineman has actually dropped into the same area, so basically triple coverage - but Ebron makes a terrific juke after the catch, starting back inside and then reversing to sprint outside past TJJ (engaged with #25.) The first time I watched it, I thought #28 made a mistake in recovery, but if tries to go inside TJJ to the sideline, he’s out of the play. Ebron forced that bad angle with his agility and speed. Any TE could have caught that, turned inside and picked up 15-18 yards, but in fact there are actually very few big men who could have made that into the 44 yarder it became.

Hey I’m not an Ebron apologist - I didn’t like the pick, don’t think he’s worked hard enough to hone his craft, & agree with most of what you wrote - but that play highlights what is so frustrating. He could have been a pro bowler if he took his profession seriously. Talent is only part of the equation to succeed at the highest level.
Well Ebron is with the Lions at least the rest of the season so hope he picks it up.

You think they're gonna win in Green Bay?

You think they're gonna win in Green Bay?
The Packers are about the only team with a winning record that Caldwell has wins against as Lions HC. So yeah they can win in Green Bay. 

Also without Aaron Rodgers, McCarthy turns back into a pumpkin. He's not a good HC either. 

I know the schedule softens up quite a bit but I think the season is won or lost this weekend against GB. First off, you need to right the ship for your own well being. Second, you need to curb stomp GB's will to compete before they get all confident and cute about staying in this race minus Rodgers. Take them out of the equation and set up the Minnesota showdown for the division which will go through Ford field. Minnesota is just now getting into the brutal part of their schedule. This could all set up really well for us but it starts this week.

I know the schedule softens up quite a bit but I think the season is won or lost this weekend against GB. First off, you need to right the ship for your own well being. Second, you need to curb stomp GB's will to compete before they get all confident and cute about staying in this race minus Rodgers. Take them out of the equation and set up the Minnesota showdown for the division which will go through Ford field. Minnesota is just now getting into the brutal part of their schedule. This could all set up really well for us but it starts this week.
I was thinking that as well. RZ futility aside, they had a lot of positives from the Steelers loss. Mahalik was solid, Stafford made some incredible throws, Marvin was involved, forced 2 turnovers, and the defense held Bell & Brown in check (25-76 & 5-70.) Of course JuJu went off & we were pathetic at closing out drives. Haven’t had a sack in almost a month (Week 5)!

But win this one and it could really propel them to a strong finish. I could see them going 6-2, presuming Decker comes back Week 10.

Stafford only played GB once in his first two injury-plagued seasons (MNF will be his 105th consecutive start), and lost his first 6 starts against the Packers (-62 differential.) He is 3-4 since (+26 differential.) The last four meetings have been decided by 7 points or less.

Ameer lobbying for more Red Zone/short yardage carries.

This fits into a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" argument.  Might have to consider starting him.
Squeaky wheels should first be good at what they are complaining about not doing. He's not. He truly is a between the 20s guy if I ever saw one. He needs space to make people miss because he doesn't really break hands on tackles well.

Red zone and goal line crowd everyone into his maneuvering space. He's just not effective there. The Lions should have been trading for Ajayi or the Blounts of the world because that's what they lack and have been for years now.

So it turns out Sam Martin missed the first six games because he stepped on a conch shell while on vacation in the Bahamas just before TC. Not quite as stupid as Joseph Fauria missing two months because he hurt himself chasing his puppy, but I guess I get why he never wanted to discuss it.

Minnesota faces the mediocre Skins, the struggling Falcons, and the enigmatic Panthers, if all on the road. You hope they lose to the Rams and on turkey day, but the final three games they face CIN, GB & CHI -- the same opponents as the Lions. So if you hope for Detroit to go at worst 2-1 in those three, it's hard to calculate the Vikes faring (much) worse. It's reasonable that 10-6 wins the division, but that doesn't leave much breathing room for the Lions. 9-7 feels like asking the Vikes (or at least one other team, to sneak into the wild card) to collapse right now.

And yeah, it would also be nice to send GB free-falling, and help rid them of any hope that they can hang in contention until Rodgers miraculously returns. Heck, it's nice to beat GB at all, let alone in Lambeau. Things seem set up that way, but history suggests it's hard to count on anything with the Lions but heartbreak.

Users who are viewing this thread