What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (23 Viewers)

'Da Guru said:
Heard yesterday on The Ticket that the Lions are looking really hard at Denard Robinson. The Lions do not have a 4th rd pick this year and at this point Robinson is a project at WR..and self admitted has trouble fielding punts.
I know this is going to be polarizing but I think it would be hard to pass on him in the 3rd. They probably can't afford to draft him and another WR in the 2nd but I could see him having a lot of success in the Jahvid Best role. I don't see why he can't be successful as an RB (thinking of Warrick Dunn here). By all accounts he's big on the intangibles and that's something we need around here nowadays.

'Da Guru said:
Heard yesterday on The Ticket that the Lions are looking really hard at Denard Robinson. The Lions do not have a 4th rd pick this year and at this point Robinson is a project at WR..and self admitted has trouble fielding punts.
I know this is going to be polarizing but I think it would be hard to pass on him in the 3rd. They probably can't afford to draft him and another WR in the 2nd but I could see him having a lot of success in the Jahvid Best role. I don't see why he can't be successful as an RB (thinking of Warrick Dunn here). By all accounts he's big on the intangibles and that's something we need around here nowadays.
How is he at catching the ball? If he can catch I'm ALL for it and almost wouldn't even care if they used the 2nd on him.

'Da Guru said:
How is he at catching the ball? If yhe can catch I'm ALL for it and almost wouldn't even care if they used the 2nd on him.
The last thing the lions need is another undersized, oft-injured project unless its as an undrafted FA. They have no secondary, middling line backers and no pass rush. Add in that their o-line is getting older by the minute and I cant see any scenario where drafting Denard makes sense. That said, I have no doubt Mayhew drafts him in the 2nd

So many things to look for in FA and the draft.1) I really like Avril, but the amount of $$ he will likely command won't make it very tenable. As others have pointed out, if we do sign Avril to a monster deal, that's a ton of $$dumped into him, Suh, and Fairley. We have a lot more needs. I would listen to what he and his agent are thinking, and if it's ridiculous, then let him go. Let him seek the big$$ he deserves, and then look to sign or draft someone.2) Secondary must be an absolute priority. I said this before LAST season and they seemed to just let it go. That was our biggest weak spot on defense by a mile. If we can get lucky,we may be able to draft Milliner out of Alabama, and he's about as close to a shut down corner as you ever will in a draft. But we may have to move up slightly to get him. Otherwise,gauge the market and don't let certain ones slip by us. I'm sorry, but if Atlanta can get a great veteran like Asante Samuel for a 6th or 7th rounder, then why the hell didn't we goafter him? He'd be a lot better than what we would have taken with that late of a pick! Don't let that kind of thing happen again in 2013!3) We MUST get a good #2 WR to complement Calvin. Sorry, but I was never sold on Burleson. He needs to be cut, I don't care if he's gold within the locker room or not. He's subpar at best.Make a splash and see if someone like Welker becomes available (highly doubtful, but you never know - may command too much $$ even if NE lets him go). I really like Greg Jennings, but hewill want top $$ too, so he likely isn't viable. But keep an eye out and be at the forefront of the WR search, PLEASE! Calvin is obviously a beast, but the NFL will eventually catch upand find ways to scheme him and do a better job holding him down while the rest of our offense flounders.4) O-line needs to continue being looked over.5) Continue to gauge the aging players and see if their numbers are declining. If so, let 'em go and start fresh. We definitely need to get younger at certain positions.

Team is simply too reliant on Calvin. It is holding them back. Reminds me of when Favre used to force every ball to Sharpe. Inly after he lost Sharpe did he truly grow as a player.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lions didn't do anything to help the defense last year (They added Lacey, who's pretty good but can be injury prone), and now fixing that problem should be priority one. Their offense did struggle at times, but generally got the job done. The defense, however, couldn't stop a fat man running uphill, and it showed. They need to draft secondary (I like Milliner as well) to fix most of their defensive problems. Special teams needs an overhaul as well, particularly when kicking the ball off.Part of me thinks the Lions should try to get something for Young, but the rest of me knows that nobody is going to want him, and the best we'd get is a later-round pick, if that. They clearly have discipline issues, which must be addressed ASAP.

The Lions didn't do anything to help the defense last year (They added Lacey, who's pretty good but can be injury prone), and now fixing that problem should be priority one. Their offense did struggle at times, but generally got the job done. The defense, however, couldn't stop a fat man running uphill, and it showed. They need to draft secondary (I like Milliner as well) to fix most of their defensive problems. Special teams needs an overhaul as well, particularly when kicking the ball off.Part of me thinks the Lions should try to get something for Young, but the rest of me knows that nobody is going to want him, and the best we'd get is a later-round pick, if that. They clearly have discipline issues, which must be addressed ASAP.
I still have a lot of hope for the three CBs we drafted last year. Green got a lot better as the year went on, Bentley was good up until he got hurt and it's way too early to write Greenwood off IMO. I think if we can't resign Houston then we'll probably go for Milliner here assuming the combine keeps his stock high. But I would really like to see that pick go to the defensive front seven. I think we have to wait to see who they are going to be able to resign... If Cherilus goes then I can see them going OT here.They aren't going to be able to get anything for Titus what a waste of a pick. :thumbdown:

I still have a lot of hope for the three CBs we drafted last year. Green got a lot better as the year went on, Bentley was good up until he got hurt and it's way too early to write Greenwood off IMO. I think if we can't resign Houston then we'll probably go for Milliner here assuming the combine keeps his stock high. But I would really like to see that pick go to the defensive front seven. I think we have to wait to see who they are going to be able to resign... If Cherilus goes then I can see them going OT here.They aren't going to be able to get anything for Titus what a waste of a pick. :thumbdown:
Yeah, I had a feeling that we'd just have to take the salary hit from letting Young go. That guy is deluded if he thinks he's a HOF-caliber player. HOFer's catch more than half the balls thrown their way.

Reggie BushLions possibly in the Bush hunt.
While the Dolphins are expected to make Bush a cursory "team-friendly" offer, the smart money is on the versatile back signing a short-term deal with a contender. Turning 28 in March, Bush is a long shot for a final mega contract even after averaging more than 1,000 rushing yards in two seasons with the Dolphins.Keep an eye out for the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions, two teams known to be seeking a more dynamic back with pass-catching ability and the outside speed to complement short-yardage pounders BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Mikel Leshoure.

So many things to look for in FA and the draft.1) I really like Avril, but the amount of $ he will likely command won't make it very tenable. As others have pointed out, if we do sign Avril to a monster deal, that's a ton of $dumped into him, Suh, and Fairley. We have a lot more needs. I would listen to what he and his agent are thinking, and if it's ridiculous, then let him go. Let him seek the big$ he deserves, and then look to sign or draft someone.2) Secondary must be an absolute priority. I said this before LAST season and they seemed to just let it go. That was our biggest weak spot on defense by a mile. If we can get lucky,we may be able to draft Milliner out of Alabama, and he's about as close to a shut down corner as you ever will in a draft. But we may have to move up slightly to get him. Otherwise,gauge the market and don't let certain ones slip by us. I'm sorry, but if Atlanta can get a great veteran like Asante Samuel for a 6th or 7th rounder, then why the hell didn't we goafter him? He'd be a lot better than what we would have taken with that late of a pick! Don't let that kind of thing happen again in 2013!3) We MUST get a good #2 WR to complement Calvin. Sorry, but I was never sold on Burleson. He needs to be cut, I don't care if he's gold within the locker room or not. He's subpar at best.Make a splash and see if someone like Welker becomes available (highly doubtful, but you never know - may command too much $ even if NE lets him go). I really like Greg Jennings, but hewill want top $ too, so he likely isn't viable. But keep an eye out and be at the forefront of the WR search, PLEASE! Calvin is obviously a beast, but the NFL will eventually catch upand find ways to scheme him and do a better job holding him down while the rest of our offense flounders.4) O-line needs to continue being looked over.5) Continue to gauge the aging players and see if their numbers are declining. If so, let 'em go and start fresh. We definitely need to get younger at certain positions.
I'd like to move #4 to #1.eta - Here's to Joeckel doing something innocently stupid enough to drop a few draft spots. :yes:

Reggie BushLions possibly in the Bush hunt.

While the Dolphins are expected to make Bush a cursory "team-friendly" offer, the smart money is on the versatile back signing a short-term deal with a contender. Turning 28 in March, Bush is a long shot for a final mega contract even after averaging more than 1,000 rushing yards in two seasons with the Dolphins.Keep an eye out for the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions, two teams known to be seeking a more dynamic back with pass-catching ability and the outside speed to complement short-yardage pounders BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Mikel Leshoure.
The Lions have no cap space for Bush even if the price was reasonable. Seems like pure speculation here.

There is a very good chance this team is worse in 2013 than they were in 2012. They're in cap hell, need to sign a bunch of players, need FA's to fill holes, and have to have a decent draft.If that Milliner kid is not a can't miss shutdown corner they should not take him 5th. Take a DE or an OT and do right by the organization....which will still be there after the entire front office and coaching staff is fired next year.Take Werner from FSU or the OT from CMU.

There is a very good chance this team is worse in 2013 than they were in 2012. They're in cap hell, need to sign a bunch of players, need FA's to fill holes, and have to have a decent draft.If that Milliner kid is not a can't miss shutdown corner they should not take him 5th. Take a DE or an OT and do right by the organization....which will still be there after the entire front office and coaching staff is fired next year.Take Werner from FSU or the OT from CMU.
zero starters from the 2012 draft is not good. Mayhew is just Millen-lite guys.I see they made a move to bring in someone from Denvers organization to the F/O.

zero starters from the 2012 draft is not good. Mayhew is just Millen-lite guys.I see they made a move to bring in someone from Denvers organization to the F/O.
Brian Xanders, as Sr. Personnel Executive. He's being tasked with bringing the scouting process out of the stone ages and helping with evaluating talent. Great move assuming Mayhew lets him do his job.

Brian Xanders, as Sr. Personnel Executive. He's being tasked with bringing the scouting process out of the stone ages and helping with evaluating talent. Great move assuming Mayhew lets him do his job.
He was the GM during the McDaniels years...good luck with that.

I'll take his player evaluations over the VP during the Millen years any day of the week.

they wer equoting some stuff on the radio about him ,and his drafts sounded really good. The lions scouting department barely exists I guess and talking head wer saying some thing to the effect of that they basically "outsource" their college scouting, WTFWho knows, I doubt the Ford/lions ever get it right

'Da Guru said:
Did the Lions release the right WR? Young claims he is better than Calvin Johnson. After Youngs release the Lions have only 2 players left from their 2011 draft class. Not going to improve with those numbers.

The Detroit Lions released mouthy wide receiver Titus Young on Monday after a series of run-ins between the 23-year-old and his superiors. Young was outspoken -- especially on Twitter -- and, beyond that, Lions brass apparently feared possible emotional issues and had suggested therapy for the receiver. He didn't cooperate and was let go, but not before revealing that he believed himself to be a better receiver than Calvin Johnson, the NFL's leader in receiving yards each of the past two seasons.

Young's high school coach, E.C. Robinson, told the Detroit Free Press that he and Young spoke at Christmas, and the second-year pro out of Boise State had some pretty interesting viewpoints.

“He did tell me he thought he was just as good Megatron,” Robinson said, according to the paper. “I said, ‘Titus, come on.' I said, ‘Come on, man. Who you talking to?' I said, ‘Come on, you're as good as that guy? This guy is the real deal.' And he really believes this. And he was sincere about it. ‘No man, I'm better than him.' I said, ‘No you're not. Be real man. Come on.' So I don't know, I'm hoping for the best for him.”

Young appeared unable to accept his role in Detroit, even going as far to tweet that he wasn't selfish, he just wanted the ball -- or else he wasn't going to play.

It's obvious Young has some real issues he needs to work out, especially if he hopes to find a welcoming landing spot on the open market.

And he should probably cool it with all the better-than-Calvin-Johnson talk.
Even though Young had a higher catch percentage than Johnson, Calvin routinely draws multiple coverage, thus hurting his chances. Still, Johnson averages 4 more yards per catch than Young does.

'Da Guru said:
Did the Lions release the right WR? Young claims he is better than Calvin Johnson. After Youngs release the Lions have only 2 players left from their 2011 draft class. Not going to improve with those numbers.

The Detroit Lions released mouthy wide receiver Titus Young on Monday after a series of run-ins between the 23-year-old and his superiors. Young was outspoken -- especially on Twitter -- and, beyond that, Lions brass apparently feared possible emotional issues and had suggested therapy for the receiver. He didn't cooperate and was let go, but not before revealing that he believed himself to be a better receiver than Calvin Johnson, the NFL's leader in receiving yards each of the past two seasons.

Young's high school coach, E.C. Robinson, told the Detroit Free Press that he and Young spoke at Christmas, and the second-year pro out of Boise State had some pretty interesting viewpoints.

“He did tell me he thought he was just as good Megatron,” Robinson said, according to the paper. “I said, ‘Titus, come on.' I said, ‘Come on, man. Who you talking to?' I said, ‘Come on, you're as good as that guy? This guy is the real deal.' And he really believes this. And he was sincere about it. ‘No man, I'm better than him.' I said, ‘No you're not. Be real man. Come on.' So I don't know, I'm hoping for the best for him.”

Young appeared unable to accept his role in Detroit, even going as far to tweet that he wasn't selfish, he just wanted the ball -- or else he wasn't going to play.

It's obvious Young has some real issues he needs to work out, especially if he hopes to find a welcoming landing spot on the open market.

And he should probably cool it with all the better-than-Calvin-Johnson talk.
Even though Young had a higher catch percentage than Johnson, Calvin routinely draws multiple coverage, thus hurting his chances. Still, Johnson averages 4 more yards per catch than Young does.
The fact that you're even comparing the numbers is almost as ridiculous as Titus' statement itself.

I really loved the Lions 2012 draft. Assuming they can keep that momentum heading into the 2013 season I'd be a happy man. 2011 was a certified disaster.

Wow, Bush owners must be salivating at him landing in Det. Probably the best possible outcome for his fantasy potential. I could see him catching 60 balls in that offense, not too mention carry opportunities.

As for the Lions, he is just the type of player they need IMO. He can take advantage of those short to intermediate passes that Calvin opens up. The other options Det has in that sense are and have been underwhelming.

Lions signed safety Glover Quin to a 5-year contract. Add him to Bush, Jason Jones, and keeping Chris Houston. Not too shabby.
Really couln't ask for too much more considering how bad their cap situation was going in.
Making all of this even better is that Bush signed a 4-year contract for a very reasonable $16 million. I thought he would have gotten at least $5 million per.Also, with Chris Houston's 5 year, $25 million contract, only $9.5 million is guaranteed. Nice deal for the Lions.I also heard they still have a chance to sign Delmas.

If they could restructure Stafford and free up more space they could fill a couple more vacancies. Wouldn't mind another safety, DE and o-line help before the draft

Haven't seen the $$ yet with Bush, but I like the signing. Hope it wasn't too much (in my mind more than $3-$4 mil/year). Would really like to see us shore up that secondary some more. Keeping Houston was decent. REALLY would like to see us draft Milliner IF he's available at #5. Headcase or not, I wouldn't mind seeing us take a shot at the "Honey Badger" in the 2nd or 3rd, too. Yes, BOTH.

Cliff Avril turns down 3-30 million from Detroit and get 2-15 million from Seattle. :confused:

They're making some good moves, but money is thin. It'll be interesting to see if they sign anyone else, or just try to address needs through the draft.

With Backus retiring they have a glaring need at tackle. If Fisher is there at 5, they almost have to draft him over Milner or a DE.

Better get to work on another corner, safety and DE in FA...unless there is a solid LT available that I'm not thinking of right now. Stafford is as immobile an Marino, so they have to protect him.

So an oline that started together for at least 2 years just lost 3 members of that group?

Where Is rieff goign to play? RT. Fisher at LT? (or whoemver they draft at 5)

they still need a guard and have Sims/Raiola

So an oline that started together for at least 2 years just lost 3 members of that group? Where Is rieff goign to play? RT. Fisher at LT? (or whoemver they draft at 5) they still need a guard and have Sims/Raiola
They need to find a guard in FA and hope Fisher is there at 5.I hope they aren't banking on Houston as their #1 CB. He's a 2, with Bentley and the like as the nickle and dime guys. Need a vet that can be the guy for a couple years while we find out what we have in the 3 rooks from last years draft. I wonder if we could add a safety like Pollard or even Delmas to round out the secondary.Still a lot of work to do.

Users who are viewing this thread