What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (15 Viewers)

Not sure about RFAs other than Cam Meredith but WR isn’t a big need- especially not an outside WR like Meredith. 
Snead is another RFA with only original round tender. But Tate played 61% of his snaps in the slot, so Meredith would probably be the better fit if you think he's better than Golladay.

Snead is another RFA with only original round tender. But Tate played 61% of his snaps in the slot, so Meredith would probably be the better fit if you think he's better than Golladay.
I like Meredith a lot more than Snead but I don't see the need really. Unless we are going to just abandon the idea of a TE and play more 4 WRs sets. I hope someone puts a bid in on Meredith just to force the Bears to pay more. I think he worth more than what they offered him. 

I like Meredith a lot more than Snead but I don't see the need really. Unless we are going to just abandon the idea of a TE and play more 4 WRs sets. I hope someone puts a bid in on Meredith just to force the Bears to pay more. I think he worth more than what they offered him. 
I was talking more about rfa tes that we could target. 

ASJ wants too much money. If I was you guys, I'd go after Eifert. He's supposedly fully healthy and would pretty much be the opposite of Ebron (good hands, reliable target in traffic/at goal line). 

I was talking more about rfa tes that we could target. 
Yeah, me too. I was just saying Cam Meredith was the only RFA I knew of. Even though we don't have a big need at WR, if we can get a big athletic WR like Meredith for a very cheap deal, I would consider it. 

Denver's center Pradis is an RFA but at 28 coming off hip surgery, it would require giving up a 2nd round pick. I don't like that. Also Denver edge Shaq Barret got a 2nd round tender. I only know he is 25 and is emerging as a pretty good pass rusher. Is he worth a 2nd round pick? IDK

ASJ wants too much money. If I was you guys, I'd go after Eifert. He's supposedly fully healthy and would pretty much be the opposite of Ebron (good hands, reliable target in traffic/at goal line). 
My concern is how healthy can he be if he still doesn't have a team? It's either that or he wants big money, right? 

I don't understand all the hate for looking at these older RBs.  It's not like they're going to pick up a workhorse 3 down back.  All they really need is a back who can pick up the tough yards and provide a different look than AA and Riddick.  Then draft someone on Day 2 who can contribute as the season goes, like what Philly did with Clement.

It would be nice to see a bigger OL/DL signing though with the Ebron cap space, or even Honey Badger.

My concern is how healthy can he be if he still doesn't have a team? It's either that or he wants big money, right? 
I honestly have no clue how these things go or why they happen when they do. But you'd have to think that everyone, even his agent, would be telling him that his best bet at making money would be to play a year healthy. Nobody is going to give him a long contract at this point. So maybe he's just feeling out the best fit. Looking at a list of TE targets by team last year, the top teams with a need at TE are BAL (133), SEA (124), and DET (120). So this has to be a pretty appealing landing spot for him. But google is saying there are Oakland rumors. If that's true, then you guys could go after Jared Cook... who seems similar to Ebron to me. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I guess blount is coming in today .....shrug...and rumor is ngata is still in play
I know he's not sexy, but I watched almost all the Eagles games last year.  Blount looked good, and not just in short yardage.  And agree on Gore.  He's no longer an every down back, but he too looked pretty good last year.  On a reduced role, he can be very productive and is clearly a major plus in the locker room.  Both good choices if you ask me, assuming of course they bring in a young back as well.

swabs said:
I don't understand all the hate for looking at these older RBs.  It's not like they're going to pick up a workhorse 3 down back.  All they really need is a back who can pick up the tough yards and provide a different look than AA and Riddick.  Then draft someone on Day 2 who can contribute as the season goes, like what Philly did with Clement.

It would be nice to see a bigger OL/DL signing though with the Ebron cap space, or even Honey Badger.
they could also be looking for an older RB to provide a presence in the RB room and film room.  might just be me, but i don't view either abdullah or riddick as the type i'd tell a rookie "see that guy over there?  go listen to everything he has to say."  

just a thought.

my Graham (31) -- Signed 3-year, $30M deal with GB
Tyler Eifert (27) -- Re-signed 1-year, $8M deal with CIN
Austin Seferian-Jenkins (25) -- Signed 2-year, $10M deal with JAX
Trey Burton (26) -- Signed 4-year, $32M deal with CHI

Eric Ebron (24)

Martellus Bennett (31)
Virgil Green (29) -- Signed 3-year, $8.6M deal with LAC
Niles Paul (28) -- Signed 2-year, $4.75M deal with JAX
Luke Willson (28) 
Ben Watson (37) 
Antonio Gates (37) 
Ed Dickson (30)

Brent Celek (33)

Julius Thomas (29)
Troy Niklas (25)

Levine Toilolo (26)

Mychal Rivera (27)
Chris Gragg (27) 
Darren Fells (31) -- Signed 3-year, $12M deal with CLE
Richard Rodgers (26) 
Lee Smith (30) -- Re-signed 3-year deal with OAK
Anthony Fasano (33) 
Jeff Cumberland (30) 
Derek Carrier (27) -- Signed 3-year, $5.5M deal with OAK
Brandon Williams (30) 
Clay Harbor (30) 
Zach Miller (33) 
Logan Paulsen (

per rotoworld. 8 mil is kind of the going rate for the top guys, which is what we would have paid Ebron.  I don’t see anyone in the list that excites me as a receiver. If brate hadn’t signed an extension I’d be banging the table for a trade, but that’s not happening. Julius Thomas, mychael Rivera? 

What about Luke Wilson? He seems to have had stretches before in which he made some big plays in SEA. May be inexpensive....but there is probably a reason for it. Ugly list and I am still puzzled why we didn’t let Ebron play it out one more year.

What about Luke Wilson? He seems to have had stretches before in which he made some big plays in SEA. May be inexpensive....but there is probably a reason for it. Ugly list and I am still puzzled why we didn’t let Ebron play it out one more year.
He's super athletic so there is that, but he has never had more than 362 yards in a season and that was 4 years ago. Ebron must have been a total PITA lockroom wise or else this makes no sense. I thought we were pot-comitted to Ebron. We spent all that time and money developing him, it seems stupud not pay for the final year just on the chance that he turns into Greg Olsen. 

He's super athletic so there is that, but he has never had more than 362 yards in a season and that was 4 years ago. Ebron must have been a total PITA lockroom wise or else this makes no sense. I thought we were pot-comitted to Ebron. We spent all that time and money developing him, it seems stupud not pay for the final year just on the chance that he turns into Greg Olsen. 
ebron was a horrible draft pick and no GM would consider him at 8 million hence the release due to lack of trade partners.  bad hands, bad attitude, couldn't block and with way more pressing needs it's clear he wasn't worth it.  there is zero chance of him being another olsen.

i wouldn't be surprised if luke wilson plays better than ebron.  from watching a ton of seattle games, there were times i thought it was graham catching the ball but instead it was wilson.  folks look at ebrons stats but keep in mind he was targeted quite a bit and faced opposing teams defenses focused on covering marvin and golden with a spy on riddick.  

ebron was a horrible draft pick and no GM would consider him at 8 million hence the release due to lack of trade partners.  bad hands, bad attitude, couldn't block and with way more pressing needs it's clear he wasn't worth it.  there is zero chance of him being another olsen.

i wouldn't be surprised if luke wilson plays better than ebron.  from watching a ton of seattle games, there were times i thought it was graham catching the ball but instead it was wilson.  folks look at ebrons stats but keep in mind he was targeted quite a bit and faced opposing teams defenses focused on covering marvin and golden with a spy on riddick.  
I am not going to defend Ebron as a draft pick. Huge disaster but Olsen was a letdown for Chicago as well. He was a 1st round pick but after 4 years, the Bears traded him away for 3rd round pick. Through 4 years Ebron and Olsen had fairly similar stats: 

Ebron: 186/2070/11 vs Olsen: 194/1981/20 

Ebron was a full year younger when he was drafted as well. Ebron is still one of the most productive TEs under the age of 25 in NFL history. I don't think he is about to become a great player either, but with that has been invested in him, why not call and see the river? 

The Vikings are better than last season and just signed DT Richardson. Getting Cook back is like having another first rd pick. Right now I think it will be the Lion and Bears battling it out for third.

The Vikings are better than last season and just signed DT Richardson. Getting Cook back is like having another first rd pick. Right now I think it will be the Lion and Bears battling it out for third.
Lions will have a tougher schedule too vs. this past season. 

I would be surprised if anyone is trading for Ameer given how flooded the RB market is. They resigned Zenner so unless they do get rid of Ameer, it seems unlikely they add another RB. Nobody runs with 5 RBs, right? 
There are a dozen rbs better than him in this draft at least

people that love players like Inge and Zenner make me want to puke....
Hey when the tigers were really bad I remember inge playing like every position. That said, he was a good utility guy and backup catcher, but pretty replaceable bat and never great at any position (although he made some plays at 3rd.) Never much faith in zenner, surprised they brought him back. 

Zenner plays special teams, so there's that. Also, somebody isn't making the final 53 at this point. Is it zenner? Washington? Green? Abdullah?  We'll have to see, but we're not keeping all of these backs, especially if we draft one.

Move ameer. And draft someone
My hope as well. Starting to think RB won’t be addressed until 3rd RD or later. I can see defense and TE in RDs one and two respectively with the way things are going now. 

Just saw that Sheldon Richardson signed a 1 yr deal with the Vikings. How do we not make that kind of offer to him? Our d-line is so thin.

Im not panicking, but I’m beginning to wonder what the plan is. 

I thought Blount ran well and ran hard whenever I watched him last year. Having said that, I would have liked more of an all rounder. Of course the expectation is that we’ll draft one but right now our O remains a little obvious with these backs.. Blount run, Riddick pass. 

How much cap space do we have left at this point ? Around 10m minus whatever we need for rookies ? 

I thought Blount ran well and ran hard whenever I watched him last year. Having said that, I would have liked more of an all rounder. Of course the expectation is that we’ll draft one but right now our O remains a little obvious with these backs.. Blount run, Riddick pass. 

How much cap space do we have left at this point ? Around 10m minus whatever we need for rookies ? 
Looks like roughly 15m right now. Assuming the rookies cost 2-3m net, there's still some room for one relatively big splash. Though at this point, it may be mostly fixing up holes with warm bodies.

I'm not super excited about picking up Blount, but considering the Lions were linked to JStew and Gore, I feel okay about it. Blount/rookie/Riddick/Zenner with room to squeeze Green on the practice squad still?

gaping holes at TE and Dline still.....the Ebron move must be purely attitude change related as I don't see them actively using the money...
I thought for sure the DL would be addressed in some fashion this offseason. Depth at a minimum. Not even sure who is still available without overpaying. I see DL with the first pick. I wish we were a bit higher so Vea would be in play. 

Salary Cap: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/

I get the feeling they may not draft a rb at all. Last year and this year could be two of the best rb classes ever when it’s all said and done, and to not come out with someone when there is an obvious need would be a travesty.

I get the feeling they may not draft a rb at all. Last year and this year could be two of the best rb classes ever when it’s all said and done, and to not come out with someone when there is an obvious need would be a travesty.
this free agency year has been very weird....almost like matty patty told quinnn......wtf are you doing with these over pays on people like marv jones and tj lang......wagoner.....

that's not how you build a team.....patience can be a virtue.... but that Dline has two NFL level players on it in Ashawn and Ziggy rest of them guys are scrubs.

the did address the LB depth.....this guy they signed from the chargers....I never heard of and they are my AFC team....

The only TE on the roster is Michael Richards.....I'm guessing Celek or some other vet will be signed but now they almost HAVE TO draft one in round 2/3/4....

I'll wait until everything is played out before I judge the team as a whole. But Blount can at least keep the chains moving without having to pass on 3rd & 1. :thumbup:

I think they will definitely draft one, unless there is a huge run on them that doesn’t favour us. We looked at Blount last year and passed on him did we not ? Highly doubt Quin/Patricia sees this as a complete RB room with that signing. 

Is Bennie Logan still out there ? He could replace some of Ngata’s run stuffing and increase depth there 

Users who are viewing this thread