What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (29 Viewers)

Marvin Jones contract isn’t  bad imo. He played really well last year and has become everything Washington hoped Doctson could be when they spent a 1st round pick on him.

If Golladay takes the step many think he can, the Lions will have one or the best trios of WRs in the league. 

I wish the Lions had a shot at Gisecki but the needs at the front 7 are too pressing to go TE in the first and there’s no way he gets anywhere close to us in the 2nd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s michael Roberts. Although Kramer from Seinfeld has supreme buttocks, he will not make a good tight end.
That’s kind of the issue though. We are nerdy die hards posting on a fantasy football message board about our favorite team in March and we aren’t even sure on the name of the team’s only TE. 

feels like a lions move to add this guy, titans making move for Suh?

Titans released DT Sylvester Williams.

Williams signed a three-year, $16.5 million deal last March. He was due a $2.5 million roster bonus coming off a middling first season in Tennessee, so the Titans are moving on. Releasing Williams saves just over $3 million in cap space. Williams should resurface as a nose tackle in 3-4 schemes.

or this guy

Colts released DT Johnathan Hankins.

This is largely scheme based with the Colts moving to a Tampa-2 defense. Hankins had a solid first year in Indy, but didn't do much to improve their run defense. The Colts have one of the best cap situations in the league but save $8.5 million from his release. Hankins won't struggle to resurface as the top interior lineman available behind Ndamukong Suh. The Titans and Seahawks are possible landing spots.

or this guy

Colts released DT Johnathan Hankins.

This is largely scheme based with the Colts moving to a Tampa-2 defense. Hankins had a solid first year in Indy, but didn't do much to improve their run defense. The Colts have one of the best cap situations in the league but save $8.5 million from his release. Hankins won't struggle to resurface as the top interior lineman available behind Ndamukong Suh. The Titans and Seahawks are possible landing spots.
Was just going to post this so clearly it’s nit going to happen. 

Actually also came back in here to mention Hankins. It really does make sense in a lot of ways, and thus, doomed not to happen ! 

There is just no logical reason for us to stand pat at DT. If we get someone decent in then we go into the draft with no massive must-fill holes on the D and can let the draft come to us. 

Got to add one Hankins or Williams. It just makes too much sense. Same with Luke Wilson honestly. Unless we think another TE might get cut soon?

The Blount deal seems OK. It's actually $2.5M plus incentives - originally it was reported as $4.5M which seems high for a 32 y.o. RB - and it fills a role. They'll still draft an RB in the 3rd. I'll be disappointed if we don't start the draft with two front 7 picks.

Glad they franchised Ezekiel given the current market.

Not sure I understand the thinking on TE ATM. Michael Roberts made progress during the 2017 season according to the coaches but I'll be shocked if we roll into TC with him as our starter.

In Bob we trust, right?

Ilov80s said:
If Golladay takes the step msny think he can, the Lions will have one or the best trios of WRs in the league. 

I wish the Lions had a shot at Gisecki but the nerds at the front 7 are too pressing to go TE in the first and there’s no way he gets anywhere close to us in the 2nd. 
Wow.  You and I are not on the same page here, hah.

They are a deep group but no alpha.  Our number 3 WR being one of the best WR3 in the league doesn't make our middling WR1 and 2 better than they are.

Don't see it mentioned, but I like the Shead signing.  I noticed him over the last couple years.

Big athletic corner.

I also keep reading that Ameer is going to be traded... what could we hope to get for him when there are 500000 RBs available out there?

Wow.  You and I are not on the same page here, hah.

They are a deep group but no alpha.  Our number 3 WR being one of the best WR3 in the league doesn't make our middling WR1 and 2 better than they are.
I agree there is no alpha, but I think it is a pretty good configuration: Jones and Babytron are a nice pair of outside WRs (assuming Kenny stays healthy and progresses) and Tate is one of the best in the slot. Last year Marvin Jones was one the most efficient WRs in the league: 5th in yards per target, 16th in dominator rating (% of the passing offense), 6th in fantasy points per target, 7th in QB Rating when targeted. Tate was great in his role: 1st in catch rate, 1st in YAC, 19th in QB rating when targeted, 24th in fantasy ppg. 

I know you aren't s a stats guy, but Tate and Marvin make big plays:
Marvin looks like an AJ Green jump ball big play alpha

Tate is as quick, shifty, tough and explosive as there is a WR after the catch in the NFL

And their contracts are very reasonable for the WR market goes. 

Marvin Jones WR contract ranks 30th in the NFL for guaranteed money, 24th in $ per year average. Tate ranks 38th and 33rd. T

I also keep reading that Ameer is going to be traded... what could we hope to get for him when there are 500000 RBs available out there?
No way we can trade Ameer. If we could't trade Ebron, I can't see how we could trade Ameer. Those positional markets are in polar places. 

I agree there is no alpha, but I think it is a pretty good configuration: Jones and Babytron are a nice pair of outside WRs (assuming Kenny stays healthy and progresses) and Tate is one of the best in the slot. Last year Marvin Jones was one the most efficient WRs in the league: 5th in yards per target, 16th in dominator rating (% of the passing offense), 6th in fantasy points per target, 7th in QB Rating when targeted. Tate was great in his role: 1st in catch rate, 1st in YAC, 19th in QB rating when targeted, 24th in fantasy ppg. 

I know you aren't s a stats guy, but Tate and Marvin make big plays:
Marvin looks like an AJ Green jump ball big play alpha

Tate is as quick, shifty, tough and explosive as there is a WR after the catch in the NFL

And their contracts are very reasonable for the WR market goes. 

Marvin Jones WR contract ranks 30th in the NFL for guaranteed money, 24th in $ per year average. Tate ranks 38th and 33rd. T
Yea, I see Marvin and Tate and I like them.  Taking contracts into consideration, I like them more (thanks I didn't know that).  I'd like Marvin more as a #2 or a 1b.

I think people are crowning Golladay to soon.  He makes some amazing plays but he was hurt a lot and somewhat a one trick pony.  

I think as a group they would still benefit from a true 1.  Maybe I am wrong on Golladay and he is the #1.  :shrug:

Since Ebron never lined up as a TE on passing downs why not sign Terrell Pryor who is 6-4 240lbs to play the same role as Ebron?

Yea, I see Marvin and Tate and I like them.  Taking contracts into consideration, I like them more (thanks I didn't know that).  I'd like Marvin more as a #2 or a 1b.

I think people are crowning Golladay to soon.  He makes some amazing plays but he was hurt a lot and somewhat a one trick pony.  

I think as a group they would still benefit from a true 1.  Maybe I am wrong on Golladay and he is the #1.  :shrug:
I agree, it would be really nice to have an alpha like Nuk or Julio but there aren't many of those guys in the league and they demand massive contracts. Those contracts can also come back and bite teams (Demaryius, Dez for example). At WR and RB, I think a team can function well by using several players that have specific strengths. Marvin is really really good near the sideline, toe tapping, getting jump balls and that is mostly all we ask him to do so when we go to him, he's able to be successful. Tate can beat nearly any DB in the league once he catches the ball so we find ways to get him the ball in space. You are totally right that a lot is being expected of Golladay and that those splash plays cover up for a lot question marks. All the more reason losing Ebron is worrisome. 

Since Ebron never lined up as a TE on passing downs why not sign Terrell Pryor who is 6-4 240lbs to play the same role as Ebron?
I was thinking about big bodied WRs that could play inside. My issue with Pryor:

- rumored to be a negative locker room guy so I doubt Detroit even considers him

- it's pretty clear he isn't thought very highly of by NFL teams (look what happened last FA and now this FA)

- He is more of a long strider- a Kenny Golladay type. I don't think he is physical enough (despite the size) and definitely not quick enough to win from the slot. 

- It would be a totally different position for him and he would likely be totally lost as usual.

The guy that would have been perfect is Evan Engram. That is why I am secretly holding out hope Mike Gisecki makes it to us in the 2nd, but I am there isn't really a chance. I would love for us to finally be able to trade back, we need those extra early picks to retool the front 7, OL and TE spot. 

I was thinking about big bodied WRs that could play inside. My issue with Pryor:

- rumored to be a negative locker room guy so I doubt Detroit even considers him

- it's pretty clear he isn't thought very highly of by NFL teams (look what happened last FA and now this FA)

- He is more of a long strider- a Kenny Golladay type. I don't think he is physical enough (despite the size) and definitely not quick enough to win from the slot. 

- It would be a totally different position for him and he would likely be totally lost as usual.

The guy that would have been perfect is Evan Engram. That is why I am secretly holding out hope Mike Gisecki makes it to us in the 2nd, but I am there isn't really a chance. I would love for us to finally be able to trade back, we need those extra early picks to retool the front 7, OL and TE spot. 
Veering off-topic a bit here, but I think the bolded is the limiting factor in Golladay's development. Guys like that often don't all of a sudden develop the short choppy strides that are essential to being precise route runners. Unless he really hones his craft - and sometimes guys do, but more often they are what they are - he will likely only be a deep threat and RZ WR his whole career. Which isn't a bad thing, it just means he's never going to be a complete WR capable of evolving into a WR1.

I didn't see this, but that's a good deal for Blount if true.  I was very impressed with how he looked last year
Based on the last game he played he looked ok,14 attempts for 90 yards (6.4 average) and one score in some game with a really long halftime.

Of course that still leaves us short that all-important 100 yard rusher.

gaping holes at TE and Dline still.....the Ebron move must be purely attitude change related as I don't see them actively using the money...
EE is a self centered jerk that is very replaceable, running more 3WR sets with Golladay will necessitate more of a blocker anyways (Fells being the bigger loss perhaps) . Pats won a SB without some scrub named Gronk in the lineup, I'm sure the Lions will somehow carry on without this guy. 

Good point on needing more interior DL help, as stopping the run is just as important as being able to run the ball. I would expect them to pick up a vet to go along with a top 2 round draft pick.

I would like to see this team add a playmaker at RB. I look back when we had Jahvid Best for that short period of time (can't believe it has been that long) and it really gave our offense a different dimension. I don't know if there are any RBs in this class that bring a speed element but it would be nice to have someone who threatens to "take it to the house" when given a chance. 

King of the Jungle said:
I would like to see this team add a playmaker at RB. I look back when we had Jahvid Best for that short period of time (can't believe it has been that long) and it really gave our offense a different dimension. I don't know if there are any RBs in this class that bring a speed element but it would be nice to have someone who threatens to "take it to the house" when given a chance. 
There are several big play RBs with good speed, but I don't think there is a Jahvid Best out there. 

Leroy Hoard said:
EE is a self centered jerk that is very replaceable, running more 3WR sets with Golladay will necessitate more of a blocker anyways (Fells being the bigger loss perhaps) . Pats won a SB without some scrub named Gronk in the lineup, I'm sure the Lions will somehow carry on without this guy. 
And the Eagles won a SB without Carson Wentz. I don't think either fact diminishes the value of a quality TE or QB. 

Johnathan Hankins is still available, no?  He would definitely fill a need before the draft. Sylvester Williams would be another potential DT.  Luke Willson? Guy grew up a Lions’ fan. Sign him. 

Source: the Lions are expected to bring in free agent DTs Johnathan Hankins and Alan Branch for a visit. Former Titans DT Sylvester Williams is also on their radar.

Excellently price we got Willson for. Hadn’t realised he was a Lions fan as well, always nice to have people like that on the team. 

If we can wrap up one of these starting  DTs I’ll be very happy with the way things have panned out 

As much as some would like to empty the wallet ASAP, better to have a conservative approach to FA. Draft picks are a whole other thing, salaries are locked in no matter who you choose. Just a few years ago they had all their money locked into Suh, Calvin & Stafford. Now they are just locked into Stafford at an ever decreasing rate as other QBs sign their new contracts. Pistons made the mistake of backing themselves into a corner, glad this team still has options open.

Lions signed NT Sylvester Williams, formerly of the Titans.

Williams was cut by the Titans this past weekend and quickly lands on his feet in Detroit where he figures to play the old Alan Branch role in new coach Matt Patricia's defense as an early-down run stopper. Williams turns 30 later this year.

Related: Titans

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Mar 21 - 3:36 PM

I don't pretend to know anything about him but I do see a nice rotational option here.

By nice addition you mean we now have a TE with more than 4 catches. Nobody wanted him but he’s our marquee TE.
He is an athletic addition that can make a play down the field. There not a lot of available “marquee” TEs. I imagine a rookie will be added to the mix between rounds 2 and 4.

We have the worst TE situation in the league, right? 
Got to be poor somewhere. I didn’t agree with the Lions letting Ebron walk this year (didn’t want a long term contract however). I trust that they figured the money is better spent elsewhere at this point. Once Ebron was gone what reasonable signing were you hoping for?

Got to be poor somewhere. I didn’t agree with the Lions letting Ebron walk this year (didn’t want a long term contract however). I trust that they figured the money is better spent elsewhere at this point. Once Ebron was gone what reasonable signing were you hoping for?
They could have had some foresight and not got into a spot where the only TE on the team had 4 catches and the TE market was bare.

They could have done a lot of things but they didn’t. What signing would you have liked to have seen?
There wasn't much to sign with at anything close to a good value. I think Burton was overpaid. I am guessing they totally got caught off guard with the contract Fells was offered. They are just really stuck now. TE isn't a position that can be drafted and plugged in right away. Many TEs take 2 or 3 years to really get up to speed. They got caught in no mans land with Ebron. They never made a back-up plan for him and now it's too late.

Users who are viewing this thread