What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (15 Viewers)

Caldwell 2 out of 3 years made the playoffs. Let’s replace him with pencil behind ear guy with beard and see if we can do better. No offense to pencils or beards. We had some positive momentum for a few years but it looks like we are back to the laughing stock category. I told myself if we lose to the Jets that I would not watch another Lions game this year. Just freed up a lot more time for activities. 

I’m from Detroit and live in Arizona now. It’s been pretty bad rooting for both these teams over the years, but this might be the worst yet.

This isnt a Patricia problem.

Its a hire problem, your defense wasnt very strong as it was. And Patricia was obviously going to go with his 3-4/4-3 hybrid and the Lions have terrible front 7 personnel for any part of that.

Now the Lions need to go through the pain of making that adjustment, like most teams have to.  Hopefully you can keep that secondary intact while making the needed changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
when the Jets spank you, you KNOW you're doing something wrong. Matty Patty.LOL. like above poster said, this is 5 straight they've looked completely unprepared and have been ridiculously outplayed ..

Could Det be the ONLY team to go 0-16 twice?! :scared:

wow..

Caldwell 2 out of 3 years made the playoffs. Let’s replace him with pencil behind ear guy with beard and see if we can do better. No offense to pencils or beards. We had some positive momentum for a few years but it looks like we are back to the laughing stock category. I told myself if we lose to the Jets that I would not watch another Lions game this year. Just freed up a lot more time for activities. 
4 seasons under Caldwell – 3 winning seasons – 2 playoff appearances

If they couldn't beat a bad Jets team starting the youngest QB ever to start a season opener in their home building in front of a frenzied crowd on MNF, well, I don't know where things go from here.

He's not an assistant coach anymore but has stuck with the stupid backwards hat thing. You're not waiting at the Chili's bar trying to score extra hot wings, bro.

Hopefully they are as embarrassed as the fans are and get some fire. The ginger kid in the lions jersey holding a “go jets” sign will get some run on sports center today. I hate it when fans leave early, but every person in that place should have gotten up and walked out at the end of the third. 

Kenny golladay was the one player who looked like he belonged on the field. He was awesome, way more than a deep threat one trick pony. And the strip/fumble recovery was a turning point in the....well it was good effort. 

Kenny golladay was the one player who looked like he belonged on the field. He was awesome, way more than a deep threat one trick pony. And the strip/fumble recovery was a turning point in the....well it was good effort. 
He was the only good thing out there for them. Truly horrific effort otherwise.

Stafford was awful but we've seen him long enough to know that usually he is the one keeping the Lions in the game not costing them the game.Obviously not good that the Jets knew all our plays either. That said, the D and special teams looked totally disinterested. We cut Zettel and deactivated A'Shawn. I am typically very patient about the team, but this was awful. Everything about the off season has been horrible. Time for a new coach and GM. 

and nice job trading up in the 2nd to draft a RB who can't even take the job over from Blount. Oh and Harold Landry was on the board- not like we need pass rushers or anything. 

in our format, Lions DST (popular streaming pick) ranked #18, which is pretty amazing really.

#1? NY Jets.

I imagine the 49ers are on your WW.

IDK what to say. From a managing expectations standpoint, nowhere to go but up. Cannot imagine a PS / WK 1 that could go worse.

So we got that going for us.

i figure JBC & Stafford will get the play calling predictability & hand signal issues worked out, that can't be rocket science. WR group is excellent, Matthew has never been elite but there's no reason to think he'll regress, so top 8 QB. But I don't understand why it's so hard to run the ball. DFL again. We have decent enough personnel up front and we have two new backs who we can reasonably expect to be productive. If JBC cannot get that fixed - and I have my doubts - he has to go.

Nobody is firing Quinn or Patricia this year, that's cray cray. 

Other than getting rid of virtually everyone besides Ziggy & Jarrad, we didn't invest anything in the front 7. Pasqualoni was a nepotism hire, Patricia paying back the guy who gave him a break. He's the 4th oldest DC behind Rod Marinelli, Wade Phillips, and Romeo Crennel. Those guys never did well as HCs but they have a solid body of work as DCs. Pasqualoni has only one other stint as DC, the Dolphins 2008-09. Gonna go out on a limb and say if you lose your job two years after a promotion, and never reach that level again, you're probably not the best candidate. Since the D is supposedly Patricia's area of expertise, I presume he is hands on...I don't have a good sense right now. If not he needs to be.

The lack of will was the most concerning thing about last nights game. Seemed like the the players gave up.

Stafford was having a meltdown but every time they showed Patricia on the sideline, he was just speaking into his headphones.  I didn't see him speaking to any of the players last night.  Maybe I just missed it?

Stafford was having a meltdown but every time they showed Patricia on the sideline, he was just speaking into his headphones.  I didn't see him speaking to any of the players last night.  Maybe I just missed it?
Doesn't strike ya as the kind of guy who would get in a players grill, right?

I'm kind of coming around to what Da Gura was saying a year or two ago. I was completely in favor of canning Schwartz but at least he had fire. Caldwell is a really good man, and I mean that sincerely. The team probably needed that because those Billy Martin/Doug Collins type coaches can only take you so far before the players get tired of hearing the same voice. Franchises in most North American team sports alternate: from fiery to calm, from offense to defense, or vice versa.

We thought we were going from offensive minded to defensive savant. Kinda looks like we went from organized & professional to disorganized and disheveled. 

Patricia did not have a great start as the LBs coach in NE and the veterans kind of walked over him (at that point he'd been with the organization a few years but it was his first position on that side of the ball.) Eventually he put his foot down and demonstrated he knew what he was doing, and the players responded. HC is a whole different deal than coordinator or position coach, but I think he's a pretty smart guy who just might figure out a way to make this work.

Who knows, maybe they go on to have great success and this whole first year stuff will make for a great 30 for 30 or NFL Films project down the road. Looks bleak now but coaches and teams can and do evolve in this league, so we probably shouldn't bury him yet. But it is very frustrating to see a talented team underperform, and most of the problems are coaching related. The front 7 is a talent depletion / lack of investment problem, but we have problems just about everywhere at the moment.

dude there wasn't a single player within 5 yards of him on the sidelines.....the pats way only works in New England, its all smoke n mirrors and voodoo it cannot be replicated....

Hopefully they are as embarrassed as the fans are and get some fire. The ginger kid in the lions jersey holding a “go jets” sign will get some run on sports center today. I hate it when fans leave early, but every person in that place should have gotten up and walked out at the end of the third. 
we did

I don't get this they are converting from 4/3 to 3/4 BS, isn't the great trait of new England that you conform you scheme to the players you have? isn't that would good coaches do? Im unimpressed.....you don't snap your fingers and convert....wasn't mike tomlin a tampa 2 guy and he went to Pittsburgh and guess what? they stayed with the 3/4 blitz style approach.....

I don't get this they are converting from 4/3 to 3/4 BS, isn't the great trait of new England that you conform you scheme to the players you have? isn't that would good coaches do? Im unimpressed.....you don't snap your fingers and convert....wasn't mike tomlin a tampa 2 guy and he went to Pittsburgh and guess what? they stayed with the 3/4 blitz style approach.....
Right and I thought it wasn't so much 3/4 or 4/3 as a D that played multiple fronts. Apparently Ashawn Robinson isn't a good fit for any of these schemes. SMH

Right and I thought it wasn't so much 3/4 or 4/3 as a D that played multiple fronts. Apparently Ashawn Robinson isn't a good fit for any of these schemes. SMH
stupid bullheadedness...….also shows why making Quinn keep a HC he don't want, is beyond stupid......let a GM and coach start fresh. personnel decisions matter

Positives!:

*Stafford probably won't throw 4 INTs every game! Especially since he's already dinged up!

*Any game with at least 40 yards rushing will improve their average!

*D TD means that in fantasy they outscored the Saints!

*We can stop worrying about this season and start looking at top 10 (probably top 5. Maybe top 1 >.<) draft picks!

---

More seriously though, D was okay (past the exceptional pick 6) most of the game. Little to no pressure on the QB of course, seeming to respect Darnold's legs. Lions O took the first quarter off and made you wish they did the same in the 3rd. I find myself hoping they show something vs SF (and/or Dallas) to prevent 0-5. Or worse, though I won't quite start wondering if they win a game before December....

The lack of will was the most concerning thing about last nights game. Seemed like the the players gave up.
THIS is how I was feeling about some of the preseason games as well....and it just multiplied in last nights debacle. Whether it was Patricia worked/ran them too hard OR if it is something internal that Q Public doesn't know about (yet)...it really feels as if the team either quit or is not intent on playing hard for this coaching staff.

By every metric on planet Earth he is a better coach than Patricia. 
I know nothing about Patricia....Caldwell was a horrible game manager but Patricia might make people remember Caldwell in a fonder light. 9-7 and missing the playoffs looks good about now.

A bigger concern is Stafford.  This is his 10th season and he could not have looked worse last night. 

Stafford, Bradford, and Eli.  The 3 most overhyped QBs of the last 5 years.  Eli won with solid coaching and personnel around him a few years ago.  Without it we clearly see he was no more than a game manager.  Bradford has somehow played his injuries and weak arm into making more money...go figure that out.  And Stafford without Calvin Johnson is terrible.  TERRIBLE.

I never liked the hire to begin with. I am blaming Quinn from here on out.

1st year in, you kept Caldwell. Probably because of Martha, but still......no new GM keeps his coach.

Drafts have been questionable. 2nd round CB everyone had as 5th round talent. Guy doesn't even play.

Fire Caldwell after two playoff appearances.

Hire a guy that historically had average, at best, defenses under him. No experience. 

Keep the OC. Again.....new coaches bring in their own coordinators. 

Trade up for Johnson ahead of Guice and in a deep year for RB's.

Cut Ebron. No excuse for that. At all. Money that was saved was never even used and we don't have a pass catching TE on our roster.

Cut Zettel. What?!? 2nd in sacks and a real hustler on the field. Oh, Ziggy is going to walk after the season leaving us with ZERO pass rush. 

We will just rely on Quinn to draft some. 

Change to a 3-4 with zero NT worth crap on the roster exposing your undersized middle LB. Davis needs protection. He was exposed last night.

Team is garbage. 

Thing is, teams evolve in-season all the time. One horrible game that snowballs doesn’t actually tell you much.

We’re on to San Francisco...

Seven new HCs in the NFL this year. They’re 0-7 rn.

Stafford, Bradford, and Eli.  The 3 most overhyped QBs of the last 5 years.  Eli won with solid coaching and personnel around him a few years ago.  Without it we clearly see he was no more than a game manager.  Bradford has somehow played his injuries and weak arm into making more money...go figure that out.  And Stafford without Calvin Johnson is terrible.  TERRIBLE.
Nah. 

Stafford has played really well the last 2 seasons, what are you talking about?

I know nothing about Patricia....Caldwell was a horrible game manager but Patricia might make people remember Caldwell in a fonder light. 9-7 and missing the playoffs looks good about now.

A bigger concern is Stafford.  This is his 10th season and he could not have looked worse last night. 
Based on the reports, the Jets said they knew what every play was. They said the Detroit formations and calls at the line were somthing they picked up on tape in prep. They literally said every play they were yelling to each other what play it was then they could just sit back and wait on the routes.

I think we have seen enough of Stafford over the years to know that this is a major outlier. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I never liked the hire to begin with. I am blaming Quinn from here on out.

1st year in, you kept Caldwell. Probably because of Martha, but still......no new GM keeps his coach.

Drafts have been questionable. 2nd round CB everyone had as 5th round talent. Guy doesn't even play.

Fire Caldwell after two playoff appearances.

Hire a guy that historically had average, at best, defenses under him. No experience. 

Keep the OC. Again.....new coaches bring in their own coordinators. 

Trade up for Johnson ahead of Guice and in a deep year for RB's.

Cut Ebron. No excuse for that. At all. Money that was saved was never even used and we don't have a pass catching TE on our roster.

Cut Zettel. What?!? 2nd in sacks and a real hustler on the field. Oh, Ziggy is going to walk after the season leaving us with ZERO pass rush. 

We will just rely on Quinn to draft some. 

Change to a 3-4 with zero NT worth crap on the roster exposing your undersized middle LB. Davis needs protection. He was exposed last night.

Team is garbage. 
And our 3rd year 2nd round DT who seemed like a pretty good young player was a healthy scratch. 

Users who are viewing this thread