Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?

4 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

So once again a team knows what we are running before the play happens. Is this more common than we think among teams or are we doing something wrong? I’m sure it happens, but I suppose the article I read says it’s from “stolen signals” which is what the jets guys said after the game but perhaps this was simply the defense seeing something that tipped the play? 

Video/audio “it’s a toss”

link broken

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not successfully you couldn’t 

I believe this is the first win the Lions have ever had in January.

I’m usually not one to get caught up in “celebrity” lives, but as a parent my ♥️ goes out to Matthew & Kelly. Her six hour brain surgery morphed into a twelve hour procedure, but she’s walking and

23 hours ago, zftcg said:

So Gronk threatened to retire if he got traded to the Lions? Here's exclusive video of how that negotiation went down: https://youtu.be/ynY2begPzoM

Dude, that was awesome. Where'd you pull that?  

Edited by rockaction
5 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

So once again a team knows what we are running before the play happens. Is this more common than we think among teams or are we doing something wrong? I’m sure it happens, but I suppose the article I read says it’s from “stolen signals” which is what the jets guys said after the game but perhaps this was simply the defense seeing something that tipped the play? 

Video/audio “it’s a toss”

OOf.

Edited by tangfoot
3 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Rushing totals for opponent and lions each of the 3 games this year.

169-39

190-98

89-159

Gee, I wonder which game they won?

I hope you are not implying they'd have won more games if they'd run more. It has been well documented that winning leads to rushing, but rushing does not lead to winning.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

told a co-worker last week, would be very lions like to win the pats game and lose to buffalo....

Congrats Lions fans for beating the evil empire!

As a Vikings fan don't sleep on the Bill's. They are a better team than all the hop heads have been saying.

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Good point but what I am implying is the ability to run and stop the run all centers on the line play. If the grunts up front don't do their jobs in the run game you cant win games on a consistent basis.

Anecdotally I think it was maybe the Vikings a few years ago that finished a season as the #1 rushing offense and the #1 rushing defense and they ended up 8-8.

6 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

told a co-worker last week, would be very lions like to win the pats game and lose to buffalo....

Maybe, but it was nice to see the Lions finally beat a good team. They got dealt a fairly tough schedule, so there won't be any easy wins this season, not even Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Stafford has caught a lot of flack for his record vs winning teams so does that mean we have to wait until the end of the season to see if yesterday's win over the Patriots counts toward that stat?  Just trying to figure out how that stat works.

Edited by Synthesizer
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Synthesizer said:

Stafford has caught a lot of flack for his record vs winning teams so does that mean we have to wait until the end of the season to see if yesterday's win over the Patriots counts toward that stat?  Just trying to figure out how that stat works.

Yes. The stat is - record against teams that ended the season with a winning record.

Very enjoyable post game locker room stuff. LOL at him wanting his hat back quickly to hide the bald spot. 

Detroit pass D ranked No.1 in NFL through 3 weeks. If the front 7 continue to improve and get more used to various systems, the D could be on to something. I like how Patricia has been mixing more 4-3 in again which seems to suit our personnel more right now. 

There were players that I literally did not even realise were on our roster, stepping up and making plays on Sunday night. Nice to see. 

Edited by TartanLion
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Synthesizer said:

Not really flack...Lions just have never beat many teams with winning records since he has been here.

As Buffalo and the Lions proved this week The NFL is a difficult game to predict.  Lions get smoked by the Jets with a QB making his first NFL start..then beat Tom Brady and the Pats 2 weeks later. Go figure.

Don` know much about Patricia but his pressers and interviews are so refreshing compared to Caldwells. Caldwell always answered questions like he was trying not to implicate himself in a murder case.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Not really flack...Lions just have never beat many teams with winning records since he has been here.

As Buffalo and the Lions proved this week The NFL is a difficult game to predict.  Lions get smoked by the Jets with a QB making his first NFL start..then beat Tom Brady and the Pats 2 weeks later. Go figure.

Don` know much about Patricia but his pressers and interviews are so refreshing compared to Caldwells. Caldwell always answered questions like he was trying not to implicate himself in a murder case.

check the report

• Like 2

Kerryon is clearly the best all-around back the Lions have had in a long time, but mad props the big guys. Raganaw was awful a few weeks ago, the #1 pick is a quick learner. Those guys were phenomenal; 159 yards rushing and almost 40 time of possession was surreal to watch. Needs more than 28 snaps going forward.

Keep calm and Kerryon.

So refreshing to see balance to the O. The line performing well and opening holes, time being eaten off the clock and Stafford navigating us to a win whilst being able to play within himself and not have to throw bombs all over the shop and leave it all out there. The pass pro has been very good as well. Think it was only one QB hit last night. 

3 minutes ago, TartanLion said:

So refreshing to see balance to the O. The line performing well and opening holes, time being eaten off the clock and Stafford navigating us to a win whilst being able to play within himself and not have to throw bombs all over the shop and leave it all out there. The pass pro has been very good as well. Think it was only one QB hit last night. 

PFF put the #1 pick on the Team of the Week (its like a weekly All Pro list)

LEFT GUARD

Frank Ragnow, Detroit Lions – 82.5

After struggling in the opening two weeks of the season, Ragnow put forth the type of performance we saw from him at Arkansas on Sunday Night Football this week. He didn’t allow a single sack, hit or hurry, giving him a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating, and was impressive in the run game too.

Pretty sure he gave up 7 pressures/hurries first two weeks.

PFF article on Ragnow

TIL he did not allow a single sack in 4 years of playing center at Arkansas - 1,242 pass attempts. Learning a new position this year and it is great to see his progress. Kerryon is def a talented back who can run through arm tackles, has enough speed to get to the edge, and is a good pass catcher. But the number one pick is the key to their success.

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Kerryon is clearly the best all-around back the Lions have had in a long time, but mad props the big guys. Raganaw was awful a few weeks ago, the #1 pick is a quick learner. Those guys were phenomenal; 159 yards rushing and almost 40 time of possession was surreal to watch. Needs more than 28 snaps going forward.

Keep calm and Kerryon.

Wow - look at this.

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

And the next play.

That said, he is not a gets what they give him RB. He's got some wiggle and just powers through arm tackers. There was another play (outside left) where Van Noy had him lined up with Bentley a few yards right behind him. Kerryon was well behind the LOS and it was def gonna be a loss, play was contained. He made the sticks with ease. Guy may not have long speed but he's got some serious burst & instant torque once he makes his one cut.

Here is the play I referred to in my previous post. Not shown: he does shoulder shake juke that leaves both defenders leaning the wrong way (look at their balance in pick two.)

And here he is beating Hightower to the edge.

Those two plays demonstrate it wasn't just the big guys opening up Mack truck size holes. Great athleticism. The Lions don't have another RB who can consistently make the plays Johnson does.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TartanLion said:

Very enjoyable post game locker room stuff. LOL at him wanting his hat back quickly to hide the bald spot. 

Detroit pass D ranked No.1 in NFL through 3 weeks. If the front 7 continue to improve and get more used to various systems, the D could be on to something. I like how Patricia has been mixing more 4-3 in again which seems to suit our personnel more right now. 

There were players that I literally did not even realise were on our roster, stepping up and making plays on Sunday night. Nice to see. 

So I'm not an X's and O's guy, don't really know too much about actual football, just fantasy. But during the Lions-Pats game Collinsworth mentioned something about Patricia using some type of defensive formation a lot from his Pats DC days during his first game against NYJ, and obviously it didn't work and they got shredded. Any idea what that was?

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, pbandy1 said:

So I'm not an X's and O's guy, don't really know too much about actual football, just fantasy. But during the Lions-Pats game Collinsworth mentioned something about Patricia using some type of defensive formation a lot from his Pats DC days during his first game against NYJ, and obviously it didn't work and they got shredded. Any idea what that was?

I thought I remember him talking about how we were running more 4-3 sets vs the 3-4 looks we gave the Jets/Niners

ALLEN PARK -- Matthew Stafford has been beaten up unlike any other quarterback of his generation.

In 2011, his first full season under center, the Lions QB was sacked 36 times. That was more than all but five quarterbacks in the league. That's pretty bad. And yet it just barely cracks the top five worst seasons of his career.

In fact, he's been sacked more times each of the last three years in a row. Last season alone, he was sacked 47 times. Only Jacoby Brissett was worse.

All told, Stafford has been sacked 173 times the last four years combined. That -- and you're never going to believe this -- but that leads the NFL. So you'll have to forgive Stafford, who was caught off guard Thursday when asked by a reporter just how it feels to be the least sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2018.

"Is that the deal?" he said after a pause, glancing around the room. "I didn't even know that. That's great."

Yep, that's the deal. Stafford has been sacked just three times heading into a Week 4 matchup against Dallas, the fewest of any quarterback who has started all three games. As a team, the Lions are allowing a sack on just 2.08 percent of dropbacks, which blows away the rest of the league.

Cincinnati is next closest at 3.33 percent. 

Sure, the sample size is small. But the early returns are promising, and Stafford -- who has been battered more than any quarterback of the last four years -- has felt it with firmer and more consistent pockets.

"Yeah, I knew it was less," he said with a laugh. "I don't know the numbers. I don't check on everybody around the league. But I knew our guys were doing a good job up front."

They have. And they've received a lot of attention this week, too, though that's more so been for their exploits in the running game, which just produced the club's first 100-yard back in nearly five years. But they've held up well in the passing game too.

The only Lions offensive lineman to rank among the top 50 in pressures allowed is Frank Ragnow, a rookie who got off to a rough start and then was terrific against New England. He didn't allow so much as a single pressure against the Patriots, and graded out as the club's best offensive player according to PFF.

Rick Wagner, ranked No. 3 among all right tackles, has been especially gnarly this season. T.J. Lang, ninth among all guards, has been good too. 

As a unit, ProFootballFocus ranks the Lions offensive line as the fifth best unit in the league.

Not bad for a group that was among the league's most underwhelming a year ago -- and allowed Stafford to take the most sacks of his sack-filled career.

"I saw a group up front that played well together," offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter said after the win against New England. "It wasn't a left side, right side thing. Those guys were five guys playing together, along with tight ends and fullbacks and the running backs and everybody. Those guys came out and really worked at getting the right block, getting the right combination, finishing plays. There's a lot of really encouraging things that happened there.

"We've still got some gettin' better to do, there's no doubt about that, but it was encouraging."

12 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

All told, Stafford has been sacked 173 times the last four years combined. That -- and you're never going to believe this -- but that leads the NFL.

If only Andrew Luck had played in 2017.

3 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Super duper - we get to stare at this stale thread title all week.

@Da Guru is on a mod-imposed vacation for referring to the senior Senator from California by a three letter acronym indicating she is worthless. Not making this up. 

Take it to the psf mod complaint sub sub forum!!!

Tough watching zeke single handedly beat us. The one guy you need to game plan for and limit. Our defense needs an influx of talent. Ziggy coming back would help a lot, but man, we should have had that game. Chalk up yet another 4th quarter comeback for Stafford that the defense gives away. He’s come back to win a lot, how many times has he gotten the lead with under 5 mins left and the defense or special teams gives up a big play and loses? He, to me, is really one of the best come from behind qbs I’ve ever seen. Granted we seem to always be behind, so he gets lots of chances. 

Im tired of the rbbc. Blount shouldn’t be getting the carries. KJ rips off a 30+ yarder to start the game, then we watch Blount grind out 2-3 yds a couple times. Wtf? Riddick is earning his work, and Blount isn’t useless, but KJ looks like the real deal out there and we should keep him on the field. Am I missing something here? 

Another ugly game and so Lion-like. Kerryon gets 32 on 1st carry and only gets 7 more touches until the 4th qtr?

At the end of the 1st half it was like Caldwell was coaching, had all their timeouts but didn't even bother trying to get in FG range. Take a couple deep shots down the field there and maybe get a completion or a flag.

Another BS roughing penalty. If a QB escapes a sack, there is no whistle and you tackle him while he's still trying to make a play it's a flag!? 

Team still can't stop the run because they suck at tackeling and can't shed blocks. They need to let Ziggy walk and use that money on 3-5 guys that can actually stay on the field and be useful.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Super duper - we get to stare at this stale thread title all week.

@Da Guru is on a mod-imposed vacation for referring to the senior Senator from California by a three letter acronym indicating she is worthless. Not making this up. 

I am back from vacation.   Actually I was in Chicago all weekend on a real vacation and did not even know JB popped me until last night at 10 when I went to change the title of this  thread.

Tough loss as I think the Lions are a better team.  Would like to see the Lions start using Johnson more and getting him more touches.  The guy looks like he can handle it. Plus everytime Riddick is in the game now the announcers say...looks like a passing down.

Edited by Da Guru
59 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I am back from vacation.   Actually I was in Chicago all weekend on a real vacation and did not even know JB popped me until last night at 10 when I went to change the title of this  thread.

Tough loss as I think the Lions are a better team.  Would like to see the Lions start using Johnson more and getting him more touches.  The guy looks like he can handle it. Plus everytime Riddick is in the game now the announcers say...looks like a passing down.

On point. And oh by the way, JBC, there's a reason Blount is averaging 2.7 on the year (7 ATT for 12 YRDS yesterday), and it ain't because he's 31. EVERYBODY watching the game knows its gonna be a dive play when #29 joins the huddle.

The Lions seem to have the most predictable game calling in the league. It's as if they succeed in spite of the OC.

Kerryon is a smooth back who can handle every aspect. Running inside, gaining the edge, catching passes, pass pro. There's absolutely no reason to feature him more.

But they lost yesterday because they couldn't stop Elliott. They weren't doing anything fancy or different than what they try to do every week. Blocking and tackling.

The key play - long pass to Zeke with Jarrad Davis trailing him - was due to Wilson and Diggs being out of the game because they got dinged up. Dude cannot be in coverage in that situation. Freaking get Miles Killebrew off the bench if our ILB cannot cover.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

On point. And oh by the way, JBC, there's a reason Blount is averaging 2.7 on the year (7 ATT for 12 YRDS yesterday), and it ain't because he's 31. EVERYBODY watching the game knows its gonna be a dive play when #29 joins the huddle.

The Lions seem to have the most predictable game calling in the league. It's as if they succeed in spite of the OC.

Kerryon is a smooth back who can handle every aspect. Running inside, gaining the edge, catching passes, pass pro. There's absolutely no reason to feature him more.

But they lost yesterday because they couldn't stop Elliott. They weren't doing anything fancy or different than what they try to do every week. Blocking and tackling.

The key play - long pass to Zeke with Jarrad Davis trailing him - was due to Wilson and Diggs being out of the game because they got dinged up. Dude cannot be in coverage in that situation. Freaking get Miles Killebrew off the bench if our ILB cannot cover.

Jury is out on Davis.  I don`t know if he is just our of position on many plays or he is just not that good.

Just now, Da Guru said:

Jury is out on Davis.  I don`t know if he is just our of position on many plays or he is just not that good.

Supposedly his strength is in stopping the run. But for a guy who possesses some athleticism, he sure does over pursue often. Then, too, we see him fail to get his pads level at the point of contact and he gets pushed back. So even discounting how terrible he is in coverage, you wonder how he was ever selected in the first round. I get that 18th/19th pick (whatever he was) isn't a Pro Bowl lock but by year two you should start to see some stability or progress. And if a guy is a good athlete, shouldn't you be able to coach him up and develop him?

Monday morning moaning. Team should be 4-0 just based on I think we're better than the Jets, 49ers and Cowboys. But in the NFL you are what your record says you are, so I guess we're lousy. Again.

28 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Davis was right there with him, Dak dropped in a nice pass. Too much to ask any Lber to be one on one with Zeke sprinting down the sideline. There should have been safety help. 

Edited by fruity pebbles
50 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Team should be 4-0 just based on I think we're better than the Jets, 49ers and Cowboys.

LOL, I get jokes.  They should be 0-4.

42 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

Davis was right there with him, Dak dropped in a nice pass. Too much to ask any Lber to be one on one with Zeke sprinting down the sideline. There should have been safety help. 

Probably. Only reason Tracy Walker (3rd rd rookie) is in there is Tavon Wilson got hurt and only played 4 snaps, and Diggs was banged up in the third. Played 27 snaps after only seeing 23 in the first 3 games combined. Cowboys had 5 in the pattern and Quin was up by the WR who was lined up inside Elliott and the TE, was straight man all the way across. Looks like Walker has deep middle and there's nobody around him so I guess he probably misread his assignment, but who knows.

Inexplicable that Kerryon tocuhes the ball 10 times. Pathetic use of talent. He should be 15-20 every week. Also, I swear Blount is running more routes than KJ. We ran a freaking screen to our biggest slowest offensive player. Literally anyone else on the team could have done more woth a screen. As for the front 7, Davis just looks like a LB from the 90s. He is big and ok against the run but he's a big negative in the passing game. It looks like that draft featured two major misses in Davis and Tabor. We have a terrible front 7 which is no surprise to anyone. This next draft/FA period needs to be a full rebuild of the front 7. 

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Inexplicable that Kerryon tocuhes the ball 10 times. Pathetic use of talent. He should be 15-20 every week. Also, I swear Blount is running more routes than KJ. We ran a freaking screen to our biggest slowest offensive player. Literally anyone else on the team could have done more woth a screen. As for the front 7, Davis just looks like a LB from the 90s. He is big and ok against the run but he's a big negative in the passing game. It looks like that draft featured two major misses in Davis and Tabor. We have a terrible front 7 which is no surprise to anyone. This next draft/FA period needs to be a full rebuild of the front 7. 

Looks like DeShawn Shead is ahead of Teez Tabor when they need a long CB. Lawson played the whole game and the only time TT played was about 6 plays when Slay was hurt. That game he started (49ers?) he got burnt early & often before getting benched.

On the whole Bob Quinn has done well with his first and second day picks, but those two are looking super shaky ATM.

33 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Looks like DeShawn Shead is ahead of Teez Tabor when they need a long CB. Lawson played the whole game and the only time TT played was about 6 plays when Slay was hurt. That game he started (49ers?) he got burnt early & often before getting benched.

On the whole Bob Quinn has done well with his first and second day picks, but those two are looking super shaky ATM.

Yep and I know even the best GMs will miss a lot. It's just part of the game. The Teez miss is the one that kills me. He just had such glaring red flags.

2 hours ago, fruity pebbles said:

All he needed to do is see zeke tracking the ball and put his hands up. Zeke caught it at his hip, if Davis just waved his hands in front of him it probably would have been incomplete. 

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Just tell me if Im being stupid, but why don't they ever put Riddick AND another RB out on the field together, or Blount and another RB just to vary it and mix it up a bit and try make it less obvious ? I know we'd have to sacrifice a WR, but surely extra variety in formations leads to the opposition being less sure about what is going to happen

5 hours ago, Raging weasel said:

Another ugly game and so Lion-like. Kerryon gets 32 on 1st carry and only gets 7 more touches until the 4th qtr?

At the end of the 1st half it was like Caldwell was coaching, had all their timeouts but didn't even bother trying to get in FG range. Take a couple deep shots down the field there and maybe get a completion or a flag.

Another BS roughing penalty. If a QB escapes a sack, there is no whistle and you tackle him while he's still trying to make a play it's a flag!? 

Team still can't stop the run because they suck at tackeling and can't shed blocks. They need to let Ziggy walk and use that money on 3-5 guys that can actually stay on the field and be useful.

Same old Lions minus Caldwell. They have the firepower to torch the Cowboys yet they dicked around for 3 quarters just like they did for the whole Caldwell era. Then once they need to score to try and win, they march down the field and retake the lead. Then blow it. This game should not have even been close.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TartanLion said:

Just tell me if Im being stupid, but why don't they ever put Riddick AND another RB out on the field together, or Blount and another RB just to vary it and mix it up a bit and try make it less obvious ? I know we'd have to sacrifice a WR, but surely extra variety in formations leads to the opposition being less sure about what is going to happen

Against NE Riddick and KJ were on the field together a lot.  It seemed to work well too.

• Da Guru changed the title to DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?