What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (14 Viewers)

I’m not giving up on Stafford. I do believe that Cooter should have been let go when Patricia was hired. Never had confidence in him 

You guys are so erratic in your reactions to individual games.

Stafford is the best thing this team has going for it.  He had a bad game.  They had a bad game.
Individual games?  I break up my Lion fan career into individual decades. Lions have not won a playoff game in 27 years, a championship in 61 years.

I like Stafford but after 10 seasons he is what he is. 

Individual games?  I break up my Lion fan career into individual decades. Lions have not won a playoff game in 27 years, a championship in 61 years.

I like Stafford but after 10 seasons he is what he is. 
Right.. the best QB the franchise has had in my adult life.

While the qb deserves some criticism, my list starts with ownership and the so called losing culture. That's why I am willing to give the gm and hc a little more time to straighten things out from this 60 year nightmare. 

Yes but if the Lions had drafted a QB like Jay Cutler or Andy Dalton instead, the same quote would still hold true which is pretty sad. 
And the same for Tom Brady.  The team is bad, has always been bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right.. the best QB the franchise has had in my adult life.
That is not saying much though.  Mitchell, Peete, Harrington, Kitna, Batch, Ferotte, Stanton, Hipple.   All of those Lions starters should be been backups at best...and most were.

I do like Stafford..just he is what he is. The best Lion QB in a long time. I know he is not going anywhere so hopefully they have a good draft.

That is not saying much though.  Mitchell, Peete, Harrington, Kitna, Batch, Ferotte, Stanton, Hipple.   All of those Lions starters should be been backups at best...and most were.

I do like Stafford..just he is what he is. The best Lion QB in a long time.
Nothing says much about the Lions.. but declaring the best player and QB on the team as the problem is a position I don't understand.

Nothing says much about the Lions.. but declaring the best player and QB on the team as the problem is a position I don't understand.
This has been my biggest problem with lion fans. Every player deserves criticism but to totally ignore the other 52 players while making one player the scapegoat has never made sense. Like hockey fans who only blame the starting goalie for the team being crap.

So what do the Lions need now?  They had 6 points going into the 4th quarter, the Seattle game they had what 7 going into the 4th quarter? Those 2 games were pivotal to the season and now we are 3-5 and looking at a 6-10, 7-9 season.

What do they need to score more ?

So what do the Lions need now?  They had 6 points going into the 4th quarter, the Seattle game they had what 7 going into the 4th quarter? Those 2 games were pivotal to the season and now we are 3-5 and looking at a 6-10, 7-9 season.

Not give up ten sacks and also get rid of the stupid penalties would be a good way to start.

This has been my biggest problem with lion fans. Every player deserves criticism but to totally ignore the other 52 players while making one player the scapegoat has never made sense. Like hockey fans who only blame the starting goalie for the team being crap.
In the NFL when an offense does not produce who gets most of the blame?

Did you watch the NFL Network last night?  They blamed half the sacks on Stafford. Not me..the pundits.
That same network comes out with a top 100 player list every year. The only lion to make that list on offense the last 2 years is stafford. 

Forget that nonsense....lets talk about something important.   We should be getting a good draft pick next year.   What are the needs?
Best player? I just highlighted the fact that other than stafford and slay the lions have no talent considered in the top 100 in the nfl. Go look and see what other teams have.

Forget that nonsense....lets talk about something important.   We should be getting a good draft pick next year.   What are the needs?
Mostly Pass rusher and as many DBs as it takes for Teez Tabor to never see the field again. But a little bit of near everything.

A ham & egger is the best? Man they need to upgrade.
2nd best since somewhere in the 50s might be the 1.5 good years of Scott Mitchell. So yeah, not a lot of competition there.

Mostly Pass rusher and as many DBs as it takes for Teez Tabor to never see the field again. But a little bit of near everything.

2nd best since somewhere in the 50s might be the 1.5 good years of Scott Mitchell. So yeah, not a lot of competition there.
Andre Ware?

Same thing I've been asking for since the 80's.

A good offensive line.

Same thing I've been asking for since the 80's.

A good offensive line.
2 high priced FAs, 2 #1 draft choices and a 3rd pick are starters.  They have invested big in the o-line and can`t keep putting picks and $$$$ into it.

2 high priced FAs, 2 #1 draft choices and a 3rd pick are starters.  They have invested big in the o-line and can`t keep putting picks and $$$$ into it.
none of this matters if they can't play.  and they haven't been able to play for a long time.  

jomar said:
none of this matters if they can't play.  and they haven't been able to play for a long time.  
It does matter. Lions are cap invested into the o-line and really can`t afford to draft or spend more on it.

Lang and Wagner were all-pros..now all of a sudden they can`t play? Decker was touted as an up and coming all-pro. Ragnow was highly rated.  It is puzzling.

Cooter got the dreaded vote of confidence today by Patty.

It does matter. Lions are cap invested into the o-line and really can`t afford to draft or spend more on it.

Lang and Wagner were all-pros..now all of a sudden they can`t play? Decker was touted as an up and coming all-pro. Ragnow was highly rated.  It is puzzling.

Cooter got the dreaded vote of confidence today by Patty.
you were responding to a post that stated we needed  good o-line.  how much we've paid or where we drafted our current o-line doesn't matter if they still suck.  it doesn't help get us a good o-line just by throwing money or draft picks at the problem.  we need guys who can play, I don't care if they're 6th rounders or league minimum players.  

Lang and Wagner WERE all-pros.  they are certainly not now.  is it age or coaching, I don't know 

you were responding to a post that stated we needed  good o-line.  how much we've paid or where we drafted our current o-line doesn't matter if they still suck.  it doesn't help get us a good o-line just by throwing money or draft picks at the problem.  we need guys who can play, I don't care if they're 6th rounders or league minimum players.  

Lang and Wagner WERE all-pros.  they are certainly not now.  is it age or coaching, I don't know 
What I am saying is this it what it is. These guys are going to be here awhile.

It's clear that any carry overs are on the chopping block when it comes to coaches (Cooter next with a pink slip).

Since the defense needs more than snacks and slay, I would expect that side will get the most off-season player attention.

Staffords contract will keep him around like it or not, most they can do is get rid of his Cooter. Maybe a fresh OC can do something with the pieces they already have in place.

I know that's not much to look forward to, but what else can you hope for from a team that is a 60 year old basket case. 

Rich Gannon rips Stafford.

After Boomer Esiason called out Stafford last month for a lack of fire, Rich Gannon criticized Detroit's franchise quarterback for being an "overpaid stat king" during a segment this week on CBS Sports Network's NFL Monday QB. 

"Can Matthew Stafford ever win in Detroit? I'm getting sick and tired of talking about Matthew Stafford. I mean, the guy is overpaid. He's making north of $25 million, he's been one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league over the last four or five years and he's just a stat king. He picks up a lot of yards and production in garbage time," Gannon said.

Stafford inked a five-year, $135 million extension last year that at the time made him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL.

In the mind of Gannon, a four-time Pro Bowler who was named MVP in 2002. As clutch as he might be in the fourth-quarter, his subpar play early in games  results in the Lions playing from behind. 

"Look at the career numbers. He's 63-70 as a starting quarterback. At some point, you are what your record says you are," said Gannon, who had a career record of 76-56. "They haven't been competitive enough in this division. The division has been dominated by the Packers and the Vikings, and the reason why the Lions are not a better football team — a big reason why — is the lack of production from Stafford in the first quarter to the third quarter. 

"Forget about the fourth quarter, take the fourth quarter out of the mix. He just doesn't put his team in position to be competitive in the first three quarters and win close games."

Stafford has delivered a pair of duds in the last two games. The Lions are 3-5 and in last place in the NFC North.

It was around this time last month that Esiason called Stafford a "locker room lawyer" who's too much like Eli Manning in terms of his personality.

"I want Matt Patricia to hold him accountable. You know, 'It's not going to be all about you in the fourth quarter, son. I need you to be careful. I need you to be energetic,'" Esiason said. "One of the reasons why I think Tom Brady screams a lot on the sideline is because I think he tries to whip himself up into a frenzy, and I don't see that from Matthew. I see a lot of Eli Manning in Matthew, like, 'Oh, it's okay.' No, it's not okay. It's your team and you have to get your guys to believe in you and that you're going to win." 

Nailed it. Stafford is a way overpaid ham & egger. What told me he sucked was when he got hurt, Stanton came in and immediately chucked deep passes to Megatron, successfully. 

I'll add that a lot of the ,4th Q garbage stats are because the other team has a 2 TD lead and is packing up their equipment and handing out high 5s. You never see Stafford with a 2 TD lead.

I think 50% of the venom Stafford receives is based solely on the money he's made. He was the last of the un-capped rookie QBs to land the larger than life (haven't earned it yet contracts) and re-upped to become the highest paid player in the league at one point (market dictated). The expectations that go with that are larger than his abilities. He really was and has been in a no win situation. You take away the monster contracts and he's an above average QB that is sadly the best QB the franchise has had in the last 40 years. If people viewed it that simplistically and erased the $$$ aspect, he'd be more appreciated.

Having said that, I'm not defending him. There are some intangibles to the game that Matt seems to lack. It's hard to put a finger on but I believe it has to do with in game management/intelligence and leadership. Does he do enough in the film room? Not sure.  Everyone knows he's got a legendary arm that can make all the throws (So could Jeff George though and he didn't win squat either....) however I think he has never taken the next steps in QB development for some reason.

I think 50% of the venom Stafford receives is based solely on the money he's made. He was the last of the un-capped rookie QBs to land the larger than life (haven't earned it yet contracts) and re-upped to become the highest paid player in the league at one point (market dictated). The expectations that go with that are larger than his abilities. He really was and has been in a no win situation. You take away the monster contracts and he's an above average QB that is sadly the best QB the franchise has had in the last 40 years.

Having said that, I'm not defending him. There are some intangibles to the game that Matt seems to lack. It's hard to put a finger on but I believe it has to do with in game management/intelligence and leadership. Does he do enough in the film room? Not sure.  Everyone knows he's got a legendary arm that can make all the throws (So Could Jeff George though....) however I think he has never taken the next steps in QB development for some reason.
agree with all you posted.  I don't dislike the guy, but strangely lacks the next level.  

I take back what I wrote after the Tate trade. The Lions obviously made the right decision. This team is terrible. They aren't making the playoffs with or without Tate.

Users who are viewing this thread