What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (29 Viewers)

Jim Bob Cooter has been arrested twice (DUI and aggravated burglary).. before being hired.
You are right, no video so "not a big deal". Also I do think coaches are treated differently than players which makes no sense at all. 

A year ago our head coach was hired with a rape charge in his past... apparently never came up.
Quinn actually gave a good answer to this at the end of the year presser. He said they did all the background checks, talked with former teams, etc. Nobody knew about it and it didn't come up in any background check. The Lions were totally caught off guard by it. Again, I think the players pasts get scrutinized more than the players.

Whether real or not, I do think the Lions want to look like they are "good" and they don't want the Ford name associated with anything that could bring about bad PR. Unlike most NFL owners, the last name of the franchise is directly attached to a massive publically purchased product. 

Right.  And the only reason Hunt isn't on an NFL team (Chiefs, Lions, or otherwise)... isn't that those events happened, has nothing to do with Hunt's "character".  It is public reaction to the video.

There is a wide receiver on the Chiefs with a much worse history of violence and violence against women.  No video. 

Try telling yourself the Lions don't want Tyreek Hill because their owner is morally superior.

eta - "much worse" is subjective.  
I also contend that Hunt lying about it plays a role here. The video is what did him in, but he also lied to the team about the entire incident. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, no video so "not a big deal". Also I do think coaches are treated differently than players which makes no sense at all. 

Quinn actually gave a good answer to this at the end of the year presser. He said they did all the background checks, talked with former teams, etc. Nobody knew about it and it didn't come up in any background check. The Lions were totally caught off guard by it. Again, I think the players pasts get scrutinized more than the players.

Whether real or not, I do think the Lions want to look like they are "good" and they don't want the Ford name associated with anything that could bring about PR. Unlike most NFL owners, the last name of the franchise is directly attached to a massive publically purchased product. 

I also contend that Hunt lying about it plays a role here. The video is what did him in, but he also lied to the team about the entire incident. 
As any 22 year old worried about his future would.   If the video never surfaced Hunts lie would have held up and he would still be a Chief instead of an UFA.

As any 22 year old worried about his future would.   If the video never surfaced Hunts lie would have held up and he would still be a Chief instead of an UFA.
Sure, I get why he lied. It still adds a level of distrust. Is there something else that might come out later? If I had a really valuable 22 year old employee and he was accussed of cussing out a customer but he swore to me that it's not true, I probably would side with him. Then if video evidence comes out of him cussing out the customer then he is done. Maybe if he had been honest, I could have found a way to keep him on since he's such a valuable employee. However, with the lying added on top of the poor behavior, he would just be done for. I would totally understand why he lied- he was trying to hide the bad thing he did. I still would fire him and never consider hiring him again.

Sure, I get why he lied. It still adds a level of distrust. Is there something else that might come out later? If I had a really valuable 22 year old employee and he was accussed of cussing out a customer but he swore to me that it's not true, I probably would side with him. Then if video evidence comes out of him cussing out the customer then he is done. Maybe if he had been honest, I could have found a way to keep him on since he's such a valuable employee. However, with the lying added on top of the poor behavior, he would just be done for. I would totally understand why he lied- he was trying to hide the bad thing he did. I still would fire him and never consider hiring him again.
I understand..but make no mistake Hunt will be back in the NFL next season.  The Chicago Bears are rumored to have big interest in Hunt so we might still see him twice next season.

I understand..but make no mistake Hunt will be back in the NFL next season.  The Chicago Bears are rumored to have big interest in Hunt so we might still see him twice next season.
Oh I am sure he will be back and I even said I would consider it if I was a GM. It would all come down to how I felt about him as a person. Without having ever met him, I can't really make that call. I wonder how long his suspension will be for.

Depends on the schedule when suspension will be over.
We don`t have to worry..I highly doubt Hunt would choose Detroit over Chicago anyway with Nagy as their HC nor would the Lions make an aggressive move to sign him.

Chicago Bears are interested but they won’t be alone. Multiple teams are considering Hunt and he’s expected to be signed “sooner than later.”

Schefter wrote Sunday that Hunt has been undergoing anger management since late November after a video emerged of him kicking and shoving a woman in a Cleveland Hotel. Matt Nagy doesn't rule out pursuing Kareem Hunt

The Bears would seem like the most logical choice for Hunt. He starred with Nagy as offensive coordinator for the Chiefs during his rookie season, one in which he finished the year as the NFL’s leading rusher.  Hunt would undoubtedly bring a dimension to Chicago’s offense that’s currently lacking as he’s a true three-down running back.

Whether real or not, I do think the Lions want to look like they are "good" and they don't want the Ford name associated with anything that could bring about bad PR. Unlike most NFL owners, the last name of the franchise is directly attached to a massive publically purchased product. 
Which again does nothing to support, and in my opinion directly contradicts, that the priority is "character".

The priority is $.

Da Guru said:
We don`t have to worry..I highly doubt Hunt would choose Detroit over Chicago anyway with Nagy as their HC nor would the Lions make an aggressive move to sign him.
I just meant the lions might get lucky and not play him 1 of the 2 games they play the bears every year.

Source: ESPN.com - Michael Rothstein

Detroit Lions TE Luke Willson's lack of production and the injuries to TE Michael Roberts(shoulder) will have the Lions targeting tight ends in free agency and in the 2019 NFL Draft, according to Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We could see that happening for the Lions. The tight end class is a good one, and the Lions may be tempted to select someone like T.J. Hockenson (Iowa) in the first round. The Lions currently have the no.8 overall selection in the 2019 NFL draft.
Yea.. draft a TE 1st round.

Not sure who the best FA TE is, but better that than a #1 pick.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/

Tyler Eifert

Jared Cook

Antonio Gates

Luke Willson

Marcedes Lewis

Lance Kendricks

Benjamin Watson

Michael Hoomanawanui

Levine Toilolo

Luke Stocker

Maxx Williams

Logan Paulsen

Richard Rodgers

Logan Thomas

Zach Miller

Tyler Kroft

Blake Bell

Clive Walford

Jeff Heuerman

Xavier Grimble

Chris Manhertz

C.J. Uzomah

Jesse James

James O'Shaughnessy

Nick Boyle

A.J. Derby

Geoff Swaim

Matt LaCosse

Ricky Seals-Jones

How is Martha going to handle this one? Lions LB Trevor Bates punches cop. Seems like the old saying is true that nothing good happens after midnight.

Queens district attorney Richard A. Brown announced on Saturday charges against the 25-year-old Bates, who reportedly refused a $32 cab fare after taking a ride from Manhattan to Queens, then allegedly punched Sergeant James O'Brien after being transported to the city's 115th police precinct.

Police responded to a call from a taxi driver at the Hampton Inn, where Bates was staying, at approximately 1:30 a.m. Saturday, per the district attorney's report. Upon arrival, the former seventh-round draft pick was placed under arrest for refusing to pay the driver. After being taken to the precinct, according to Aiello, Bates was told "that as long as there were no outstanding warrants, he would receive a desk appearance ticket and then be allowed to leave." Bates, however, allegedly "refused to be printed and became increasingly agitated," punching O'Brien after the sergeant "attempted to calm" him.

Bates then "needed to be tased in order to" be subdued, the DA added, per Aiello. Sergeant O'Brien, meanwhile, was transported to a nearby Queens hospital for three stitches and concussion treatment.

According to Aiello, the charges filed against Bates include second-degree assault, obstructing governmental administration, theft of services and resisting arrest. If convicted, he could face probation or up to seven years in prison. As of Saturday afternoon, Bates remained at Elmhurst Hospital Center, where he was taken for a psychiatric evaluation, according to the New York Post.

Quite like the Bevell hire actually. 

Did good things with Favre/Vikings. This style of QB matches well with Stafford. 

Offences were consistently ranked high in his time at the Seahawks, despite a series of terrible O lines. Ran the ball with success which matches well with what Patricia apparently wants more of. 

Seems like an OC that will change his O to match what talent he has. 

Talking of current successful O’s and whether a run heavy O can succeed, makes me think of the Saints. Run heavy with a good RB tandem but a QB that can fling it when needed. 

Did good things with Favre/Vikings. This style of QB matches well with Stafford. 

Offences were consistently ranked high in his time at the Seahawks, despite a series of terrible O lines. Ran the ball with success which matches well with what Patricia apparently wants more of. 

Talking of current successful O’s and whether a run heavy O can succeed, makes me think of the Saints. Run heavy with a good RB tandem but a QB that can fling it when needed. 
I can't argue with any of this. We just have to hope the long stretch of awfulness will eventually end. 

Not saying Martha is old but the top selling Ford the year she was born was the Model T.
My dad worked for her in the early 90s and he said she was super old then. Although he said she was a kickass woman who took #### from nobody and was very serious about business.

Didn’t the Seahawks have a good OL for most of Bevells time there? Okung and Unger were Pro Bowlers. Plus of course Marshawn was running it. Once those guys moved on Seattle became one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL.

As for a rushing offense, I think we don’t look close enough at the stats. We just see New Orleans runs a lot and has a offense so we think it’s because they run that the team is good- that is backwards. 35% of the Saints rushing attempts came in the 4th quarter of games. Good teams run more because they have more 4th quarter leads. 

Monken to Browns. I was kind of hoping for the Lions to get him. Not sure who else is out there for OC, but if I were Patricia I'd get a young up-and-comer. He's got 1-2 years to turn this around, so swing for the fences.

Sounds like it was another case of the Lions not being able to get the guy they wanted and having to settle for their second (fifth?) choice.

Here's my desperate attempt to find a silver lining: Last time I remember this happening was the 2013 HC search. We were bummed that Whisenhunt turned them down for Tenn and they had to go with Caldwell. Well, he wasn't the best hire ever, but he was sure better than Whiz.  :shrug:
This has a Jeff Fisher vibe to me.  Archaic coach so set in the stone age and so unwilling to let the offense work organically that no one with any zing wants to work with him so he's left picking up scraps for key assistant jobs. 

My dad worked for her in the early 90s and he said she was super old then. Although he said she was a kickass woman who took #### from nobody and was very serious about business.
Well she is 93.  I remember my grandmother was a teacher and very sharp at 86, but I could not imagine her running an NFL team. Not sure how much Martha is involved in the day to day stuff..she probably only gets involved in major decisions like hiring and firing.

This has a Jeff Fisher vibe to me.  Archaic coach so set in the stone age and so unwilling to let the offense work organically that no one with any zing wants to work with him so he's left picking up scraps for key assistant jobs. 
The average coach has three years to turn a team around before he gets bounced. You get the feeling MP has already p'd off enough people that he probably only has one more year, maybe not even that if they get off to a bad start next year. Also, given that he just hired Bevell and he runs the defense, he won't have the option of canning an assistant in order to take the pressure off.

The average coach has three years to turn a team around before he gets bounced. You get the feeling MP has already p'd off enough people that he probably only has one more year, maybe not even that if they get off to a bad start next year. Also, given that he just hired Bevell and he runs the defense, he won't have the option of canning an assistant in order to take the pressure off.
Agree with this. Kind of hoping Patricia can make it 2 more years so that when the Lions do clean house on the coaching staff again it'll be timed perfect with being able to cut and move on from Stafford. I can't see any head coach candidate being excited about the Lions job if it's open after 2019 knowing they're tied to Stafford for at least 1 more year and a green, highly drafted rookie QB in year 2.

Well she is 93.  I remember my grandmother was a teacher and very sharp at 86, but I could not imagine her running an NFL team. Not sure how much Martha is involved in the day to day stuff..she probably only gets involved in major decisions like hiring and firing.
Yeah she’s no Jerry Jones. I’m pretty sure she’s only involved on major decision: hiring management, head coach, giving big contracts 

They worked KG out of the slot last year a few times...
I like moving Kenny around but I still think a dedicated slot WR makes sense. Could just my perception but Kenny seems built for the outside. He is fantastic with contested catches on the boundary, going up against man coverage to get the ball, etc. Unfortunatley that is a bit redundant with what Marvin Jones does. The Lions are desperate for a TE and a slot WR who can work the middle of the field. 

Ilov80s said:
Didn’t the Seahawks have a good OL for most of Bevells time there? Okung and Unger were Pro Bowlers. Plus of course Marshawn was running it. Once those guys moved on Seattle became one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL.

As for a rushing offense, I think we don’t look close enough at the stats. We just see New Orleans runs a lot and has a offense so we think it’s because they run that the team is good- that is backwards. 35% of the Saints rushing attempts came in the 4th quarter of games. Good teams run more because they have more 4th quarter leads. 
The Seahawks were 15th on offence and 11th in scoring when Bevell was fired in 2016, with a TOTAL of $7m spent on the whole offensive line. Not bad really. 

2012-15 Seahawks spent around 62% of its cap on defence. Offensive DVOA’s for that period ...

’12 - 4th

’13 - 7th 

‘14 - 5th 

‘15 - 1st

Not bad at all. Averaged above 25 pts per game across that period, without any real WR talent.

Top 3 in big play % across those years as well.

Think he will offer balance, run first set up PA etc etc. 

Not saying he will succeed but there’s enough to like. 

The Seahawks were 15th on offence and 11th in scoring when Bevell was fired in 2016, with a TOTAL of $7m spent on the whole offensive line. Not bad really. 

2012-15 Seahawks spent around 62% of its cap on defence. Offensive DVOA’s for that period ...

’12 - 4th

’13 - 7th 

‘14 - 5th 

‘15 - 1st

Not bad at all. Averaged above 25 pts per game across that period, without any real WR talent.

Top 3 in big play % across those years as well.

Think he will offer balance, run first set up PA etc etc. 

Not saying he will succeed but there’s enough to like. 
Just a few random thoughts:

- Bevell was the OC in 2017 as well 

- Sea was 14th in Offesnvie DVOA in 2017, they were 9th in 2018.

- They have Wilson so it no surprise to me that they score a lot of points and make a lot of big plays, I am pretty sure they ranked pretty high for big passing plays again this year

- I am sure he will be  a run first, set-up PA coach- which is not what I want and not what the numbers show works

Overall though, as I have indicated in prior posts, I think it is better than my initial reaction. I like that he will throw down field. 

King of the Jungle said:
I think the Lions subscribe to the “don’t overspend in free agency and draft poorly to build a team philosophy” though.
Since Quinn has been there, they certainly have over spent on Marvin Jones ( at the time) and TJ Lang & Wagoner, when they should of just kept Warfod & rieff and coached em up

Lions need to start being aggressive even if it means possible mistakes..bring in Hunt, sign Kaepernick for cheap and use him to push Stafford and run the Wildcat here and there to give different looks like the Saints did.  Just try something different.

Lions need to start being aggressive even if it means possible mistakes..bring in Hunt, sign Kaepernick for cheap and use him to push Stafford and run the Wildcat here and there to give different looks like the Saints did.  Just try something different.
Just curious as to the need of pursuing Hunt.

Just curious as to the need of pursuing Hunt.
Kerryon looked good but has never stayed healthy even in college.

Hunt has been one of my favorite players to watch the last couple years... pending the price, game breaker talent.

Kyle Van Noy was drafted by the Lions in 2014 in the second round (40th overall).

On October 25, 2016, the Detroit Lions traded Van Noy and a seventh round pick (239th overall) in the 2017 NFL Draft to the New England Patriots in exchange for a sixth round pick (215th overall) in 2017.

The Lions used that 6th round pick of the Patriots to draft Brad Kaaya. . A notoriously noodle arm QB from U of Miami.

Kaaya was waived by the Lions and other teams thereafter. Last team was the Colts who waived him after an injury in the 2018 preseason.

Van Noy led the Patriots in tackles for the 2018 season and was a starting LB for the SB.

Kyle Van Noy was drafted by the Lions in 2014 in the second round (40th overall).

On October 25, 2016, the Detroit Lions traded Van Noy and a seventh round pick (239th overall) in the 2017 NFL Draft to the New England Patriots in exchange for a sixth round pick (215th overall) in 2017.

The Lions used that 6th round pick of the Patriots to draft Brad Kaaya. . A notoriously noodle arm QB from U of Miami.

Kaaya was waived by the Lions and other teams thereafter. Last team was the Colts who waived him after an injury in the 2018 preseason.

Van Noy led the Patriots in tackles for the 2018 season and was a starting LB for the SB.
Van Noy was outstanding last night.

Users who are viewing this thread