What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (15 Viewers)

I thought about it and if the Lions take a DT or DE at 8, do the Lions have the best DL in the NFL?
They'd be right up at the top of the league if they took a DE. They had Ansah and nobody last year at DE last year with Ansah being a dud too. Flowers replaces the loss of Ansah fine but they really need another DE to complete the DL. Hand can stretch out to DE as needed but I think they'd be better off with a true DE in that spot and have good versatility on the DL with Hand behind Snacks and ARob while flexing to DE as needed. 

Stafford has been working with the team this week even after they told him to take as much time as he needed following his wife's brain surgery. Hopefully all the haters who say Stafford doesn't care will shut up now. 

I wouldn't trade a high first round for Rosen, but I wouldn't be too upset about our 2nd round.  I would hope they would kick the tires a bit.

I wouldn't trade a high first round for Rosen, but I wouldn't be too upset about our 2nd round.  I would hope they would kick the tires a bit.
I don't see any reason to enter the Rosen sweepstakes. He may or may not pan out but the Lions are tied to Stafford for at least 2 more years for huge money. Stafford will be the starter in 2019 and 2020. Best case scenario is Rosen or a highly drafted QB gets to take over in the latter part of 2020. Rosen would then start in 2021 on his 4th year in the league. Not that that's a horrible thing but in the salary cap era your best title window is when that QB is paid cheaply on his rookie contract. By the time the Lions would know if Rosen was any good or not it'd be time to pay up big for a new contract. Pass on Rosen or any 1st round QB this year. It would make more sense to go that route next year and have a rookie be groomed to take over in his 2nd year in 2021. Or better yet to grab one in 2021 to play right away assuming the Lions move on from Stafford.

In addition to that whole contract situation with Stafford, I'd have to be pretty confident whoever they draft or trade for is going to be a top 10 NFL QB.  Otherwise what is the point?

Stafford is not the problem but he may not be the solution either. The team should ride him the next two years and continue to build around him. The goal being to have few major holes when the time comes to retain him or turn the reigns over to another signal caller. Focus on building the defense and running game so if they draft someone it isn’t a dumpster fire for a young QB to walk into....or even better yet Stafford plays better and we start winning games.

Stafford is not the problem but he may not be the solution either. The team should ride him the next two years and continue to build around him. The goal being to have few major holes when the time comes to retain him or turn the reigns over to another signal caller. Focus on building the defense and running game so if they draft someone it isn’t a dumpster fire for a young QB to walk into....or even better yet Stafford plays better and we start winning games.
Stafford struggled last year but he has been good for most his career. Not a top 10 QB but consistently top 15.

One of the latest rotoworld podcasts the host says ‘ a little  birdy told me ‘ that it won’t take much at all for the Lions to trade down maybe a 3rd + 5/6th and if a player that they really like doesn’t fall that’s what they will be looking to do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the latest rotoworld podcasts the host says ‘ a little  birdy told me ‘ that it won’t take much at all for the Lions to trade down maybe a 3rd + 5/6th and if a player that they really like doesn’t fall that’s what they will be looking to do. 
I think that birdy was the GM. He openly said in an interview that they wanted to trade down and were open for business. When a GM says that publically, it's pretty much begging for any kind of offer. 

I think that birdy was the GM. He openly said in an interview that they wanted to trade down and were open for business. When a GM says that publically, it's pretty much begging for any kind of offer. 
Perhaps although he was asked if he could name the source and he said he couldn’t. Felt more like a private conversation type of thing. Doesn’t really lend any extra credence to it but that’s what he insinuated.

still think there’s a small chance Allen could fall to us if two QBs and an Oline player goes. 

Murray 

Bosa

Williams 

Lock/Haskins 

White to Buccs is a rumour 

Oline player 

makes 6 players. Throw in another QB if that happened and all of a sudden Allen and Oliver could be on the board although I think if it’s Oliver then someone might trade up with us. 

If someone absolutely loves Marquise Brown then that could also massively help 

Perhaps although he was asked if he could name the source and he said he couldn’t. Felt more like a private conversation type of thing. Doesn’t really lend any extra credence to it but that’s what he insinuated 
Fair, it just seems like the Lions are very open about putting that out

I wouldn't mind dropping down as far as Atlanta for that price mostly because I'm rooting for a DE pick. That extra 3rd+ would be nice ammo to move up from #43 if someone slips to the end of the 1st or early 2nd. 

I’m hoping Haskins slides or there are a couple teams high on lock. There could be teams trying to jump ahead of the broncos(10) and bengals (11). Mia (13) was (15) nyg (17) could work. Also, Oakland 24/27 picks add up to about pick 8, and I’d love that if we were able to swing it. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Staffords wife back in the hospital......ugh.......
Just for pain.  It is actually a good sign that she is choosing to get off pain meds asap.

eta - a good sign as long as that is really why she went to ER.

Definite talk Atlanta wants in the top 10-likely for Oliver. Come on Lions!  The 2nd round is really juicy. If the Lions can get another 2nd rounder, it would be huge.

Definite talk Atlanta wants in the top 10-likely for Oliver. Come on Lions!  The 2nd round is really juicy. If the Lions can get another 2nd rounder, it would be huge.
I’d love it if they trade back....I’d love it more if they trade back twice. I’m happy picking in the 20s with some extra 2/3 picks. 

I agree, but with our history ofn2nd round picks... slay and kerryon have been great, but man we have a decade of stinkers. 

True but you cant let history keep you from things. The howlings when they drafted Megatron for example.
Agree, and if they end up drafting Hockenson I’ll shrug and accept it even though pettigrew and ebron didn’t really work out. Hockenson seems like a pretty safe pick this year, if nothing else. 

I am sure the Lions thought process was:

- we need help blocking

- we need a TE

- we need a slot pass catcher

Hock can do all 3
This. The fact that he can help the running game and passing game simultaneously is what drove this pick. If a tight end projected to be the best pass catching TE of all time was available, and he couldn't block, I don't think Quinn would have taken him. The offensive philosophy is to run and complete short passes, with one or two deep shots per game.

Fine, makes sense, but I want an elite defense damnit. Lions keep going halfway on both fronts and deliver mediocre results year after year.

Hock is a waste. Enough data to show Stafford won’t use a TE. Trade back, pick a TE in R3 along with the extra equity in this draft. Typical Lions.

If you knew at draft time what you know about Gronk now he still wouldn’t have gone 8 to a rational team. Dumb a$$ pick.

Leroy Hoard said:
Hoping Josh would drop one more spot.
Last game win against GB did Lions in to get Josh.

Lions only team in the last decade to have drafted 3 TEs in the first round and they keep getting lower.  19th, then 10th now 8th. Hockey is a good player but after giving James big $$$$ was is the best move?  Time will tell.

my top 3 at their pick were Oliver, Hock, and Burns.  Oliver might've been in a logjam with Hand/AShawn/Snacks but he was BPA imo. 

Hock is a complete prospect who can do everything exceptionally well.  the comparisons to Ebron/Donald are obvious but Hock is a far far superior prospect.  Ebron at 8 was a joke.  TJ can actually catch the ball, is a good route runner who knows how to create space, and has more than adequate playing speed and athleticism.  he seems like a safe pick and a guy who can impact both of the running and passing games.  its really a question of if Stafford will use him

This. The fact that he can help the running game and passing game simultaneously is what drove this pick. If a tight end projected to be the best pass catching TE of all time was available, and he couldn't block, I don't think Quinn would have taken him. The offensive philosophy is to run and complete short passes, with one or two deep shots per game.

Fine, makes sense, but I want an elite defense damnit. Lions keep going halfway on both fronts and deliver mediocre results year after year.
Is it a fact?

How so what? Stafford doesn’t use TE effectively. We have taken BP, EB and now Hoch when will we learn? Guy will NEVER have a 1k season. Waste.
Not sure they are drafting him for 1k seasons.

Receiving may not even be his primary function, certainly early on.

If he can block as well as predicted... not a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread