What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (18 Viewers)

Fair. My comments were all inregards to the poster who felt like Calvin should be nice to the Lions and not be so negative in the media about them. 
One millionaire didn’t fulfill his contract and this other millionaire didn’t want to pay him. Business is business in that respect imo.  Neither needs the money and Calvin comes off poorly for the first time ever. The lions will have more stories once the season starts, but this is what people will remember about Calvin for awhile. No one wins. Let’s be honest, he had a stellar career on one of the worst stretches of football a team has ever seen.  Part of that is because of his rookie contract, as well as stafford and suh, at the tail end of the escalating rookie contract era. The timing of the Millen era couldn’t have been worse in that regard. He’s probably ticked off about that as well. 

Heres a s way for everyone to win- Calvin announces he will donate the money, I’m sure he has a charity (because all millionaires seem to whether they do good with them or not) or he can donate to local charities, the lions give him the money, everyone wins. 

If the chips fall our way (we resolve Slay/Snacks) and we can stay healthy I am starting to build some optimism. Our running game should be improved and our TE position is drastically upgraded (don’t forget the James signing). Our defense has been upgraded and should have a pretty stout front line against the run. If we can generate a pass rush to take pressure off the secondary this will be a fun unit to watch. It is too bad we are in the toughest division in football (IMO), but I think we will see some drastic improvement and possible wild card contention.

If the chips fall our way (we resolve Slay/Snacks) and we can stay healthy I am starting to build some optimism. Our running game should be improved and our TE position is drastically upgraded (don’t forget the James signing). Our defense has been upgraded and should have a pretty stout front line against the run. If we can generate a pass rush to take pressure off the secondary this will be a fun unit to watch. It is too bad we are in the toughest division in football (IMO), but I think we will see some drastic improvement and possible wild card contention.
We have to get Slay on the field. Our outside CBs are about the worst in the league without Slay. Also I think their mantra of “we are a running team” is either an attempt at deceiving the NFL or a sign of bad Quinn did in FA. If we are a team planning to build the offense around the ground game, we have a low BMI 2nd year RB who is coming off a knee injury being backed up CJ Anderson. If Kerryon gets hurt or struggles at all, the Lions have no decent option to replace him. Detroit should have been more aggressive in securing a quality back-up in FA or the draft.

Ilov80s said:
We have to get Slay on the field. Our outside CBs are about the worst in the league without Slay. Also I think their mantra of “we are a running team” is either an attempt at deceiving the NFL or a sign of bad Quinn did in FA. If we are a team planning to build the offense around the ground game, we have a low BMI 2nd year RB who is coming off a knee injury being backed up CJ Anderson. If Kerryon gets hurt or struggles at all, the Lions have no decent option to replace him. Detroit should have been more aggressive in securing a quality back-up in FA or the draft.
I am not so sure they will be a running team per se, but I think the ground game will improve greatly and in turn open up some downfield passing.

We going to trade for Khalil Mack too?  Absent some significant injuries I can't see us clawing ahead of Green Bay, Chicago, or Minnesota.  The best we can hope for is for GB to turn into a dumpster fire with Rodgers clashing with the new head coach.
In which case the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams will simply shift their order.  Loins are a sad last this year.

Glover Quin walking away after 10 seasons. Great leader and ranks as one of the Lions best ever FA signings - admittedly a low bar - starting all 96 games in his 6 seasons. Fell off sharply last year but was ranked 4th amongst all  Safetys in 2017. High quality guy! Since his rookie year, he has adhered to a 30-70 plan his financial advisor suggested; he used 30% of his salary for lifestyle expenses, which includes 10-12% devoted to philanthropy, and saved/invested 70% of his take home pay.

Not sure of his post-retirement plans but I’m certain he’ll be a success. Just a great person and a very good player, one of my favorite Lions from the 2010s.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys buying the Theo won't make the 53 man talk?

Kerryon in the 4th could be a league winner if he becomes the 3 down back. Caught 32 (39 targets) in 10 games last year.

Kerryon in the 4th could be a league winner if he becomes the 3 down back. Caught 32 (39 targets) in 10 games last year.
I would not be surprised to see Theo go. I think he is pretty much cashed out. I am disappointed the Lions didn't go after a pass catching back in the late draft or FA. I saw James Boobie Williams got released by the Chiefs. I hope the Lions give him a go- he looked good in college as a pass catcher. 

Glover Quin walking away after 10 seasons. Great leader and ranks as one of the Lions best ever FA signings - admittedly a low bar - starting all 96 games in his 6 seasons. Fell off sharply last year but was ranked 4th amongst all  Safetys in 2017. High quality guy! Since his rookie year, he has adhered to a 30-70 plan his financial advisor suggested; he used 30% of his salary for lifestyle expenses, which includes 10-12% devoted to philanthropy, and saved/invested 70% of his take home pay.

Not sure of his post-retirement plans but I’m certain he’ll be a success. Just a great person and a very good player, one of my favorite Lions from the 2010s.
Sounds like he would make a great guy to teach other athletes how not to squander all their money.

Still puzzled as to why Theo is not a full time slot receiver as he has the skills and played WR at ND.

Sounds like he would make a great guy to teach other athletes how not to squander all their money.
Haven’t heard his plans but I’m sure he’s got a path in mind. He’s always said football was the launchpad but doesn’t define who he is.

“Playing professional sports was always a dream of mine,” Quin, 33, told ESPN via a text message. “Football was the route I chose and God blessed me to be able to persevere through all the hardships and play 10 years in the NFL. I’m so thankful for the opportunity I had to play in the NFL with such great players and two great organizations.

“Football was never who I was as a person. It was always what I had done. I wanted to use football as a stepping stone into the rest of my life and not let football be my life. I always only wanted to play 10 years. Said if I was able to walk off the field after the last game in Year 10, it would be really hard for me to walk back on. I’m young, I’m healthy and I got a lot of life to live. So I’m walking away from the game of football.”
I hope he does something that impacts others. He’s an exceptional person.

Had some mobile format issues with the last post...

:unsure:

In another life I started my career in the Detroit tax practice of PriceWaterhouseCoopers (neé Coopers & Lybrand.) I was mostly a road warrior designing special purpose tax vehicles for Fortune 100 companies, but every March I’d come back to the Renaissance Center to pitch in for the last 2-4 weeks of busy season. As a multi-state professional my role was to complete the state & local tax returns for our professional athletes - we had over 100 clients from all over the country - because pros have to apportion their income. So an NBAer plays two games in L.A. (Clippers & Lakers), then California and Los Angeles tax him for 2.439% of his salary - the amount he earned in their city. Pretty common for athletes to file 25 or so income tax returns every year.

I saw considerable variance in how those folks handled their newfound wealth. Some assembled a competent team of advisor & lived relatively modestly (Barry or Dumars come to mind), some stayed tight with their family (Jeter), some fancied themselves as future businessman (Dexter Bussey & Vinnie Johnson), some were susceptible to greed & falling in with shady partners (Thomas), some just wanted to spend everything (Derrick Coleman & Allen Houston), some were literally apathetic (Worm.) The Bill Laimbeers of the world are a rare exception; his dad was a highly compensated executive who made more than his rookie contract.

There’s a real thing called Sudden Wealth Syndrome - Google it - and very few athletes, multi-state lottery winners, or trust fund kids understand what is happening to them emotionally & psychologically.

Saw the headline earlier and wondered if there is a North American city with a worse 4-sport collection than the Tigers, Pistons, Lions and Red Wings?
Phoenix?
Pretty good call.

• Cardinals are pretty much SOL with a SB loss (last NFL title was 1947)
  • Suns are on par with the Tigers, terrible teams with plummeting attendance
  • DBacks are roughly even with the Pistons - .500 teams, occasional first round playoff loss but just treading water with no direction
  • Coyotes have gone 8 seasons since they went to the playoffs, 4 for the Red Wings (but Stevie could turn that around)

Officially I'm predicting the Lions go 13-3. But I think they're gonna win 12 or 13 games every summer.

BTW I have been mocking more this summer than anytime in the last 5-6 years, and both Kerryon and Kenny are falling in drafts. Of course everything starts moving a lot more once we play games I haven't heard anyone tout either one as a player to target. Personally I think both are a great 4th round value. Marvin I'm not so hot on, I think they'll run a lot of two-TE sets and I'm hoping that really utilize Hockensen (typically 13th-14th rounder rn.) I don't think I've seen Stafford drafted more than 3-5% of the time. But Prater seems like a sneaky good last round K. They'll probably try to emphasize the ground game and should have a halfway decent defense.

Leroy Hoard said:
If someone says you have surprisingly few weaknesses, I think they’re really saying “this team doesn’t have any strengths but let’s keep it positive.”

football LI5 please, it’s summer & I like my reading lite

ETA: same jr high pub different article:

LIONS: 4–12

Another major wildcard with a change at offensive coordinator. Still, this season will be a referendum on second-year head coach Matt Patricia and whether he can wrangle a team that looked stunningly flat-footed at times a year ago. Detroit will be strong through the middle, with one of the better tight end sets in the league and a solid offensive line, they may not have enough firepower to navigate what promises to be a brutal division.

Kind of feels like we’ve built a team that would have rocked in 1977, doesn’t it? The rules and trends have been slanted towards offenses for decades, we play in a dome with the team centered around a “franchise QB” with the two bright stars at WR & RB. So yep, let’s emphasize defense & the run game.

Haven't even played a pretend down & it feels like we just don’t have enough playmakers.

Kind of feels like we’ve built a team that would have rocked in 1977, doesn’t it? The rules and trends have been slanted towards offenses for decades, we play in a dome with the team centered around a “franchise QB” with the two bright stars at WR & RB. So yep, let’s emphasize defense & the run game.

Haven't even played a pretend down & it feels like we just don’t have enough playmakers.
The line is going to have to be elite for Detroit to be a playoff contender. It will have to be the Cowboys approach. 

It will be interesting to see if Patricia's defensive strategy works here.  It has been more of a bend but don't break approach, but I don't know that enough can be said about having Brady controlling clock and scoring points on the other end.  I have yet to see any sign that Detroit's offense can do that consistently.

It will be interesting to see if Patricia's defensive strategy works here.  It has been more of a bend but don't break approach, but I don't know that enough can be said about having Brady controlling clock and scoring points on the other end.  I have yet to see any sign that Detroit's offense can do that consistently.
I was always amazed how many times they would defer, wind up with the ball late in the 2nd, score right before the half, then go the length of the field after the second half kickoff. It was uncanny.

A lot of times while Patricia was the DC there you’d see teams be able to rush the ball on them. But eventually the other team would abandon the run game because of the enormous pressure of trying to keep up with the Pats offense. Not gonna get that from Stafford & Co. 

I fall for it every year, so I see no reason to stop now. I don't see this 3-13 or 4-12 stuff. They are significantly better on both sides of the ball and I expect Stafford to have a big bounce back.

10-6

I fall for it every year, so I see no reason to stop now. I don't see this 3-13 or 4-12 stuff. They are significantly better on both sides of the ball and I expect Stafford to have a big bounce back.

10-6
How are they significantly better? Hockenson and Flowers? 

They didn't replace TJ Lang...and Rick Wagoner is a bust. the right side of that line is dreadful....and their LBs are terrible still.....

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

They didn't replace TJ Lang...and Rick Wagoner is a bust. the right side of that line is dreadful....and their LBs are terrible still.....
On O - Stafford will be healthy, Hockenson, Jesse James, and a full second year (I hope) from Kerryon.

On D, they made a couple of key acquisitions - Flowers, the nickel corner. Plus a full season from Snacks and another year of improvement from Davis and Walker. 

They look good to me. 

Also, please don't piss on my parade. The offseason is all we have.

I am excited to see the year 2 development of what  looks a like a very succcessful 2018 draft class with Kerryon, Ragnow and Hand all looking to have Pro Bow potential. 

On O - Stafford will be healthy, Hockenson, Jesse James, and a full second year (I hope) from Kerryon.

On D, they made a couple of key acquisitions - Flowers, the nickel corner. Plus a full season from Snacks and another year of improvement from Davis and Walker. 

They look good to me. 

yeah sorry......a lot of my buddies are all over betting 6.5 over wins for the year......I don't think its a good bet

I am excited to see the year 2 development of what  looks a like a very succcessful 2018 draft class with Kerryon, Ragnow and Hand all looking to have Pro Bow potential. 
The biggest hope is that the team comes into the season buying in the Patricia way.....they were in a fog the first 6 weeks or so......seemed to turn it around some....but I think captain pencil is in over his head

They look good to me. 

You do know Glasgow is the RG, right? He’s been solid at LG and C. He’s probably getting extended after the season.

Wagner ranked 22nd amongst all tackles -  I would imagine quite a few of those in front of him were LTs. Above average pay, above average performance. Would like to both him and Decker improve on good to pretty good. 

LG will be the weak link (Wiggins), but I expect them to eventually go with Dahl. His body has changed a lot since he came in the league, gotten a lot stronger. 

Ragnow moving to his natural position at C is going to improve the whole unit.

Run blocking was decent last year, and I think a lot of those 40 sacks were post-Tate & after MJJ went down. PFF ranked the line 19th overall, which is not good enough but I think they finally have the right guy ar the positional coach (Jeff Davidson.)

The biggest hope is that the team comes into the season buying in the Patricia way.....they were in a fog the first 6 weeks or so......seemed to turn it around some....but I think captain pencil is in over his head
They were so unprepared. I know PS is “meaningless” but in all four games the 1s got outplayed in all three phases. Then they open with a disaster versus the Jets & a rookie QB. At that point, yeah, seems like he almost lost the team.

Two weeks later, one the most dominant, start to finish wins we’ve ever seen - against the team that won the SB.

Funny game.

They were so unprepared. I know PS is “meaningless” but in all four games the 1s got outplayed in all three phases. Then they open with a disaster versus the Jets & a rookie QB. At that point, yeah, seems like he almost lost the team.

Two weeks later, one the most dominant, start to finish wins we’ve ever seen - against the team that won the SB.

Funny game.
enough with that pats game.....

I didn't realize wiggins switched sides, he is still a glaring hole in the line

5-8 was their record after the Pats game so it's not like it sparked anything in the team- just an anomaly. 
1-2 as I remember it; week [3] they let a winnable game get away from them in San Francisco. Week 3 was Kerryon’s coming out party and the defenses best game.

Were you reading the schedule in reverse?

You do know Glasgow is the RG, right? He’s been solid at LG and C. He’s probably getting extended after the season.

Wagner ranked 22nd amongst all tackles -  I would imagine quite a few of those in front of him were LTs. Above average pay, above average performance. Would like to both him and Decker improve on good to pretty good. 

LG will be the weak link (Wiggins), but I expect them to eventually go with Dahl. His body has changed a lot since he came in the league, gotten a lot stronger. 

Ragnow moving to his natural position at C is going to improve the whole unit.

Run blocking was decent last year, and I think a lot of those 40 sacks were post-Tate & after MJJ went down. PFF ranked the line 19th overall, which is not good enough but I think they finally have the right guy ar the positional coach (Jeff Davidson.)

Glasgow is playing RG not LG?

I think people are dramatically underestimating Detroit.

The Lions ALWAYS do well when the consensus is that they will suck, and the Lions almost ALWAYS suck when the consensus is that they will do well. 

It is as consistent as the sun rising in the east. 

So hard to actually make the call, but historically, they should win the division. 

Just saying.  Patriots North?

Users who are viewing this thread