What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (19 Viewers)

I am really hoping it is Whisenhunt and they are just covering their bases before they can formally begin pursuing him.
Lions have "very strong interest" in Whisenhunt.

He seems like the obvious choice for the Lions, and even if he gets multiple offers the Lions should be the obvious choice for him.
And we draft Mike Evans, recreate the Cards offense during it's SB run?
In keeper FF I used to clean up with Holt & Faulk. :thumbup:

I am really hoping it is Whisenhunt and they are just covering their bases before they can formally begin pursuing him.

He seems like the obvious choice for the Lions, and even if he gets multiple offers the Lions should be the obvious choice for him.
Would Wiz's D coordinator in AZ be a good fit in Detroit. If memory serves, their D was pretty solid.

Would Wiz's D coordinator in AZ be a good fit in Detroit. If memory serves, their D was pretty solid.
You mean Todd Bowles? He may end up with his own HC job.

Actually, that raises a good point. I haven't heard anything about which, if any, of Schwartz's assistants might be retained. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Cunningham coming back. I think he's done an OK job with the personnel he's had.

Actually, that raises a good point. I haven't heard anything about which, if any, of Schwartz's assistants might be retained. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Cunningham coming back. I think he's done an OK job with the personnel he's had.
Lions 16th ranked D so pretty average imo. Offense ended up 6th ranked and seems to get a lot more flak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lions 16th ranked D so pretty average imo. Offense ended up 6th ranked and seems to get a lot more flak.
Wasn't Bowles interviewed by Detroit for the HC position when they ended up with Schwartz?

Wasn't Horton his DC?

Wasn't Horton his DC?
You're right. Misread the question. And yes, both Horton and Bowles are under consideration for HC roles, although it would be surprising if Horton got one.

In keeper FF I used to clean up with Holt & Faulk. :thumbup:
That would be the St. Louis Rams there...

Gunner is rumored to be going with Schwartz to Clev, assuming whoever they pick for HC doesn't veto that. Interesting that they would even consider bringing on coordinators/staff before having a HC in place, but whatever works for them.

Wasn't Bowles interviewed by Detroit for the HC position when they ended up with Schwartz?
I think so. Mayhew, Whisenhunt and Bowles were all teammates on the Redskins in 1989-90, so there's definitely a connection between the three.

Anyone else rooting for Cinci today so that the Lions can lock Whiz up right away? Worst case would be SD goes on a run, the Lions are unable to come to terms with Whiz, and by that point all the good candidates are already gone.

Whisenhunt did nice things with Roethlisberger early on. Perhaps he could do the same with Stafford.
Stafford said he is not open to a coaching guru to come in a d nelp him.
That quote came from when he was asked about working with a dedicated QB guru like Steve Clarkson or George Whitfield, someone outside the Lions organization. Somehow that's been warped into the idea that he rejects all coaching from everyone.

He'll obviously work with whoever the Lions hire.

massraider said:
Love Wiz for the Lions. I thought Schwartz was as bad a coach as there was in the league.
I am glad Schwartz is gone but I think he served a purpose for the organization. He just is not the one to take them to the next level. I think he provided an initial spark however that spark never developed flame and now is just a terrible smokey burn smell. He will never see another head coaching job again but I could see him making a positive difference as a DC again.

Lions have requested to talk with Jay Gruden...I hope this is just covering all their bases and nothing more than a worst case scenario plan.

Offense was 6th in yards, but tied for 2nd in turnovers. Advanced stats will rank the offense a lot lower - DVOA puts the Lions 19th in offense and 14th in defense.
This is a team that is primed for a massive turnaround. Personnel wise, DET is much better than 19/14, though I;m not a big advanced stats guy. If they get this hire right, then look out.

Love Wiz for the Lions. I thought Schwartz was as bad a coach as there was in the league.
I am glad Schwartz is gone but I think he served a purpose for the organization. He just is not the one to take them to the next level. I think he provided an initial spark however that spark never developed flame and now is just a terrible smokey burn smell. He will never see another head coaching job again but I could see him making a positive difference as a DC again.
:goodposting:

It's easy to forget now, but for the first three years, Schwartz did exactly what you would want a coach to do in a rebuilding situation -- steadily improved win totals, made the playoffs. It all fell apart the last two years, and there is the fact that he made them so damn undisciplined and unlikeable, but that doesn't detract from what he did accomplish.

Offense was 6th in yards, but tied for 2nd in turnovers. Advanced stats will rank the offense a lot lower - DVOA puts the Lions 19th in offense and 14th in defense.
This is a team that is primed for a massive turnaround. Personnel wise, DET is much better than 19/14, though I;m not a big advanced stats guy. If they get this hire right, then look out.
Lions roster top to bottom stacks up with many of the current playoff teams. They have a nice draft slot to really improve as well. It's the Lions so all bets are off, but this team has to be awfully exciting to a potential head coach.

The players loved Schwartz. The HC can only do so much. Reggie Bush cost the Lions 2 wins with fumbles, Stafford blew at least 2 games with horrible INTs. Sam Martin the punter blew the Bengal by shanking a punt 15 yards very late in the game. The Ravens do not score a TD and win with a 61 yard FG as the clock expired. Nick Fairley kept a drive alive that cost the Lions a game by jumping off sides twice.

That being said it appears his time was done in Detroit, but the players have to play.

The players loved Schwartz. The HC can only do so much. Reggie Bush cost the Lions 2 wins with fumbles, Stafford blew at least 2 games with horrible INTs. Sam Martin the punter blew the Bengal by shanking a punt 15 yards very late in the game. The Ravens do not score a TD and win with a 61 yard FG as the clock expired. Nick Fairley kept a drive alive that cost the Lions a game by jumping off sides twice.

That being said it appears his time was done in Detroit, but the players have to play.
You knew Schwartz was done when they lost the Pittsburgh game after the fake field goal. His post game rant about how, "you can write whatever you want about me, but you can never say I was scared" was to me, a sign that mentally, he had lost control of the situation.

You knew Schwartz was done when they lost the Pittsburgh game after the fake field goal. His post game rant about how, "you can write whatever you want about me, but you can never say I was scared" was to me, a sign that mentally, he had lost control of the situation.
Schwartz will be a DC again. Hell, the Lions are paying him for 2 years so they should have just demoted him to DC.

When you are known as a "players coach" & the players stop playing well for you it doesn't take much to connect the dots...

Whisenhunt did nice things with Roethlisberger early on. Perhaps he could do the same with Stafford.
Stafford said he is not open to a coaching guru to come in a d nelp him.
Dude needs the knockout game performed on him.
If he answered the other way and said, "yes, I would really be excited to work with a QB coach", it would basically be an admittance that he isn't totally confident in what he is doing and that he needs fixing.

Leroy Hoard said:
Ilov80s said:
Da Guru said:

When you are known as a "players coach" & the players stop playing well for you it doesn't take much to connect the dots...
This is pure speculation, but it feels like Schwartz is the kind of "players coach" who engenders loyalty by cultivating an us-vs-the-world attitude among his players (Schiano seems like another). In addition to the fact that that seemed to compound Suh's issues, you're right that things can fall apart once the players start to conclude the coach is full of BS.

Contrast that with the other type of players coach -- the quietly confident type (Dungy, Lovie Smith). That approach is not without its drawbacks, but it does seem like there's less of a risk that you'll lose the locker room.

Bill Cowher's not coaching anywhere. Todd Bowles said no thanks to an interview. Jay Gruden is unsure if he wants a shot at the job.

Not exactly an attractive situation; I guess you could say it's a challenge, I think most view it as a coaches graveyard. That's the Ford history. But I don't think there's another job out there where you can take the current roster (or at least the bulk of the core) and be a playoff contender right out of the gate.

MLive has been profiling possible candidates (not sure which are realistic possibilities):

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford
  • Jack Del Rio, Broncos DC
  • Ken Wisenhunt, Cardinals OC (interview requested by 4 of the 5 teams looking for a HC)
  • James Franklin, Vanderbilt
  • Jim Caldwell, Ravens OC
  • Mike Zimmer, Bengals DC
Seems like it is going slow so far, which makes me think Caldwell, Del Rio and/or Wisenhunt are the leading candidates?

What's the talk on local radio around the D?

Bill Cowher's not coaching anywhere. Todd Bowles said no thanks to an interview. Jay Gruden is unsure if he wants a shot at the job.

Not exactly an attractive situation; I guess you could say it's a challenge, I think most view it as a coaches graveyard. That's the Ford history. But I don't think there's another job out there where you can take the current roster (or at least the bulk of the core) and be a playoff contender right out of the gate.

MLive has been profiling possible candidates (not sure which are realistic possibilities):

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford
  • Ken Wisenhunt, Cardinals OC (interview requested by 4 of the 5 teams looking for a HC)
Seems like it is going slow so far, which makes me think Caldwell, Del Rio and/or Wisenhunt are the leading candidates?

Local stuff is basically that Whisenhunt is the guy they want.

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford

Lions will be rooting for the chargers to lose this weekend so they can speed up the process.

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford

Lions will be rooting for the chargers to lose this weekend so they can speed up the process.
Reports are he is interviewing this weekend, so the process is already under way.

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford

Reports are he is interviewing this weekend, so the process is already under way.
I'm not complaining, since I want them to hire Whiz, but how does that work exactly? Hours before the biggest game of the season, aren't all the coaches spending 24/7 on prep? How do you take time out of that to prepare and then interview for a job with a different team? Reports are that Caldwell showed up for his Lions interview and proceeded to analyze every throw Stafford made this past season. No way Whiz has time to do that.

Caldwell, Kubiak & Munchak have interviewed, Wisenhunt reportedly will be interviewed in San Diego Thursday night.

Four offensive minded candidates, all with HC experience.

zftcg said:
Phenix said:
Leroy Hoard said:

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford

I'm not complaining, since I want them to hire Whiz, but how does that work exactly? Hours before the biggest game of the season, aren't all the coaches spending 24/7 on prep? How do you take time out of that to prepare and then interview for a job with a different team? Reports are that Caldwell showed up for his Lions interview and proceeded to analyze every throw Stafford made this past season. No way Whiz has time to do that.
Would love to see the Lions hire Whiz and then get Caldwell as the OC. I did not like what I saw with Caldwell as the HC when he was with Indy, Manning ran that team and Caldwell let him.

zftcg said:
Phenix said:
Leroy Hoard said:

• Ray Horton, Browns DC
  • Bob Stoops, OU
  • David Shaw, Stanford

Apparently it's even worse than that, since he's interviewing with two other teams on Saturday. How is the SD brass possibly OK with that? Wouldn't you say to the guy, "How about you wait two days and help us beat Denver first?"

If it's feared from the context of they don't want to play against me and they are worried about how I may affect the game and affect the offense, it's definitely appreciated," Suh told ESPN.com. "It's definitely seen as a plus and a positive. Guys have respect for you, just like guys have respect for Calvin.

"I'm surprised I edged him out, but hopefully I don't have to edge him out and we can just be co-winners. I prefer that."

lol, dude does sounds awful scary with that tough guy attitude.

If it's feared from the context of they don't want to play against me and they are worried about how I may affect the game and affect the offense, it's definitely appreciated," Suh told ESPN.com. "It's definitely seen as a plus and a positive. Guys have respect for you, just like guys have respect for Calvin."I'm surprised I edged him out, but hopefully I don't have to edge him out and we can just be co-winners. I prefer that."

Guys are scared of CJ because they know they can't cover him. Guys are scared of Suh because they know he wants to hurt them and is so strong that they can't stop him if he decides to.

Ilov80s said:
Leroy Hoard said:
BobbyLayne said:
If it's feared from the context of they don't want to play against me and they are worried about how I may affect the game and affect the offense, it's definitely appreciated," Suh told ESPN.com. "It's definitely seen as a plus and a positive. Guys have respect for you, just like guys have respect for Calvin."I'm surprised I edged him out, but hopefully I don't have to edge him out and we can just be co-winners. I prefer that."

Guys are scared of CJ because they know they can't cover him. Guys are scared of Suh because they know he wants to hurt them and is so strong that they can't stop him if he decides to.
Also because they hope to one day father children.

Mike O'Hara looks back at the Lions 2013 draft:

http://tinyurl.com/lhf6pp7

Other than Slay (CB) in the 2nd - and he may develope - it was a very good draft. Add in TE Joseph Fauria (7 TDs) and RT LaAdrian Waddle(9 GS) as UDFAs, the Lions got outstanding production from this class.

Users who are viewing this thread