What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (26 Viewers)

And for those who think they won't get enough in trade, I hope you also can't be quoted as a Stafford hater. Because you cant have it both ways. If he sucks, why would you think they would get that much?

Retirement would be the best, but media types were worried about Rodgers hitting the open market, deflating Stafford's trade value. What they seemed to miss is that Rodgers would finally be out of the division.
With Watson already out there it’s a bit worrisome but I also think there’s enough teams who are close to having a SB team who need QB help to still make a big deal. 

Lynn does not strike me as an offensive innovator or guru.  From what I have read about Dorsey is that he is great at spotting talent but no so good at the other aspects of being a GM.   
He's not good at the other aspects of being a GM, but his eye for acquisitions is very much up for debate. There's no questioning his decision making at the most important position, but beyond that? 

KC Drafts

1.1 Eric Fisher - okay

3.63 Travis Kelce - home run

3.96 Knile Davis - nope

4.99 Nico Johnson - nope

1.23 Dee Ford - meh

3.87 Phillip Gaines - nope

4.124 DAnthony Thomas - nope

1.18 Marcus Peters - okay

2.49 Mitch Morse - check

3.76 Chris Conley - nope

3.98 Steven Nelson - okay

4.118 Ramik Wilson - nope

2.37 Chris Jones - check

3.74 Keivare Russell - nope

4.105 Parker Ehringer - nope

4.106 - Eric Murray - nope

4.126 Demarcus Robinson - nope

Beyond round 4 - Tyreek Hill - home run

Cleveland - I read/heard his contract management issues were a problem in KC, but since I didn't follow them I'm not commenting them. I followed this activity closely in Cleveland, so I'll comment on it though.

Traded for Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry, and Demarious Randall. Signed Chris Hubbard, Terrance Mitchell, TJ Carrie, and Carlos Hyde (all meh or worse except for Landry - check)

1.4 Denzel Ward - check

2.33 Austin Corbett - nope (he later traded away Zeitler to play this bum)

2.35 Nick Chubb - check

3.67 Chad Thomas - nope (he traded Ogbah in part so this bum could play)

4.105 Antonio Callaway - nope (he played a direct role in Freddie playing this bum over Higgins)

Signed Kareem Hunt and Sheldon Richardson - improvement

Traded for Beckham and Vernon - incomplete, I consider the Vernon for Peppers swap a draw but he's playing way behind in Beckham v Zeitler + 1st round pick

2.46 Greedy Williams - probably not

3.80 Sione Takitaki - meh

4.119 Sheldrick Redwine - nope

Traded Duke Johnson - hit

Traded for Wyatt Teller - hit

And all this is before considering the behind the scenes poison. He was gifted an unprecedented treasure trove of assets from the prior regime and floundered them away and left this group with a leaky OL, bad secondary, and paper thin depth chart across the board. He's a risk taker, so his hits have a tendency to be loud but they're surrounded by a laundry list of bad decisions. He's to NFL GM's what Rob Deer was for the Tigers. But at least 1992 was entertaining.

Valid criticism if he was actually hired to be the GM. But he's not the GM, he reports to the actual GM. Holmes can take or leave whatever he says.

Valid criticism if he was actually hired to be the GM. But he's not the GM, he reports to the actual GM. Holmes can take or leave whatever he says.
I don't disagree. I spent most of last offseason fighting with Browns fans pissed about Andrw Berry because Sashi Brown made bad decisions when he was in charge and Berry was a veep. Veeps don't make decisions; GM's do.

I think it'd be naive to dismiss his track record given his fit in this org out of convenience though. He created a wedge with the analytics portion of the Browns front office, got in the pocket of the owner as the sole person who could fix this, and this behavior was consistent with what was rumored about his time in KC. He stepped on one too many toes wrestling for power then unceremoniously got whacked in the middle of summer. So why wouldn't he do something along those lines again? Especially within a dysfunction org like Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should have been the HC of the Eagles after 10 years and at the very least OC.

What a get. What is happening in Detroit? Maybe we should publicly bash this team more here, good lord. Some good moves in my opinion since the Stafford announcement. Though some here would say it started With Campbell and even Holmes. 
I think it started with Spielman.

Retirement would be the best, but media types were worried about Rodgers hitting the open market, deflating Stafford's trade value. What they seemed to miss is that Rodgers would finally be out of the division.
I think Rodgers' contract situation makes moving him this off-season more difficult than it would've been for the Lions to move Stafford last season. 

Lions just poached the Rams DB Coach. He said will serve as the Lions DB coach and passing game advisor. I saw some Rams fans posting that they thought he was going to get promoted to Rams DC.

That would be so Lions esque. Rodgers leaves the division and Stafford leaves us. We were never even THAT good last ten years but there’s been a good few seasons where I wager that we’d have won the division if Rodgers wasn’t the Packers QB 

Watson to the Jets would be good, Jets were never high on the list for Stafford. Hopefully soon, so the rest of the teams can move on to door #2.

Why would Dallas move from Dak to Stafford? Other than salary, just doesn't make sense. 
Detroit needs draft capital in return. They are not anywhere near ready to compete. I will be upset if the majority that they receive in return is another QB. Change culture and build through the draft is the only chance to create a permanent change for this dismal franchise. Taking Goff or Dak (who would immediately need a giant contract) makes no sense.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. You are correct, salary is the only reason to exchange those QBs from a Dallas perspective.

Why would Dallas move from Dak to Stafford? Other than salary, just doesn't make sense. 
There may not be an "other." Perhaps they feel Dak wants to tie up to much of the salary cap in himself and they would have to gut the rest of the team to meet his demands?

King of the Jungle said:
Detroit needs draft capital in return. They are not anywhere near ready to compete. I will be upset if the majority that they receive in return is another QB. Change culture and build through the draft is the only chance to create a permanent change for this dismal franchise. Taking Goff or Dak (who would immediately need a giant contract) makes no sense.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. You are correct, salary is the only reason to exchange those QBs from a Dallas perspective.
By announcing that they were parting ways they have screwed that up too.  They aren't going to get much more than a single first it sounds like. 

Da Guru said:
Still think it will be Indy or Denver.  Indy first as they are ready to win.  Lions would never take Prescott or Goff as they both will make more than Stafford.

Prescott is either going to be tagged, signed, or released.  If he is tagged it will cost 37 million this season, so i doubt that will happen.  Jones does not seem willing to pay Prescott and maybe even more so after his injury as he may not be the same.  Jones has always like Stafford, and Stafford is from Dallas so i would not totally count them out.
Still a bunch of teams in the mix, that alone keeps the price at a decent level. And I agree that the Lions want no part of taking someone else's cap hit. 

Was Stafford simply not interested in running the Oklahoma Drill?

-It was banned in 2019 but Coach Kneecaps ran it when he took over in Miami back in 2014 IIRC. 

I am not so sure, there are so many teams who could use a quarterback. Stafford’s fairly friendly salary doesn’t hurt either. 
They might but it sounds like the 49ers lowballed pretty good.  Anyone see any other reports? 

I was mostly commenting that they should be getting more than that and maybe they would have if they didn't announce he was unilaterally being traded. 

They might but it sounds like the 49ers lowballed pretty good.  Anyone see any other reports? 

I was mostly commenting that they should be getting more than that and maybe they would have if they didn't announce he was unilaterally being traded. 
I agree, seems like it was best not brought public. Maybe that is what Matt (or Kelly) wanted, was for the public to know this was mutual. Is what it is, still a lot of potential suitors. 

So smart by the Lions to announce they agreed he'd be traded. Got ahead of all the QB maneuvering while max openings existed around the league. 

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 202

So smart by the Lions to announce they agreed he'd be traded. Got ahead of all the QB maneuvering while max openings existed around the league. 

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 202
Love this! They got a heck of a package.

Guys this isn’t your dorky fantasy football league. Most teams know when a player is available, certainly of his caliber.  
And when you are going to have multiple teams interested, you want people to know they are bidding against other teams. The Lions seemed to have nailed this.

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions. Assuming the Lions don't have the cap hit for Goff's signing bonus (is that how it works?), he has $25 mm in 21 and $10mm in 22 and then his contract has an out.

That's not bad.

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Lions (and Stafford) could not have handled this better. 

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions. Assuming the Lions don't have the cap hit for Goff's signing bonus (is that how it works?), he has $25 mm in 21 and $10mm in 22 and then his contract has an out.

That's not bad.
Rams basically gave Detroit a 1st take Goff’s contract 

Congrats Lions fans. You just legally you know what the Rams. As a Skins fan who's still bitter they did the same to us with the RG3 trade, I'm so happy you bent them over! 

It's a good trade for the Lions....no doubt, but I am concerned with Goff's money.

Also, many sleeping on how good Stafford is.

People discounting Rams are also in toughest division (far and away IMO) in football too. These picks could wind up being pretty solid 1sts. That Det got 2 1sts at all as a rebuilding team that they mutually agreed Stafford wouldn't be part of is just awesome.

I think SF (and their killer D when healthy) will upgrade on QB this offseason as well. Stafford is a huge upgrade over Goff but the Rams also benefitted from the 49ers being absolutely decimated on both sides of the ball with injuries this year. Kyler another year under belt + an offseason to work with Hopkins. Sea + LA + SF + AZ gonna be one helluva division.

People discounting Rams are also in toughest division (far and away IMO) in football too. These picks could wind up being pretty solid 1sts. That Det got 2 1sts at all as a rebuilding team that they mutually agreed Stafford wouldn't be part of is just awesome.

I think SF (and their killer D when healthy) will upgrade on QB this offseason as well. Stafford is a huge upgrade over Goff but the Rams also benefitted from the 49ers being absolutely decimated on both sides of the ball with injuries this year. Kyler another year under belt + an offseason to work with Hopkins. Sea + LA + SF + AZ gonna be one helluva division.
Plus Rams have 22 mil dead money in Goff plus Stafford contract. No first or third this year but expected to get a couple compensatory 3rds

Users who are viewing this thread