Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?

30 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The Lynn signing really does worry me. I am with you on that. Dorsey doesn’t so long as the ownership fully supports Holmes. If one is smart, I think they take into account way more than just analytics. There’s a place for human old school evaluations. I think Dorsey has an eye for talent- especially offensive talent. If Holmes is able to use his methods while also taking input from Dorsey to confirm or challenge his conclusions, it can strengthen the process. This is especially true at QB where the evaluation is probably the toughest in pro sports and the most important. The issue could arise if Dorsey tries to go over the top of Holmes and we get a power struggle. I do agree that could be a huge problem and the Lions have collected a lot of big personalities that could conflict. 

Lynn does not strike me as an offensive innovator or guru.  From what I have read about Dorsey is that he is great at spotting talent but no so good at the other aspects of being a GM.   

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not successfully you couldn’t 

I believe this is the first win the Lions have ever had in January.

I’m usually not one to get caught up in “celebrity” lives, but as a parent my ♥️ goes out to Matthew & Kelly. Her six hour brain surgery morphed into a twelve hour procedure, but she’s walking and

Seems like the approach they are taking is that the sum is greater than it's parts.  All of these guys bring something a little different to the table, if they can get them to mesh then that is great, if they can't there is going to be dysfunction.  The Lions don't have to track record to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this does seem to be a different approach to what they've done in the past so it should be good :popcorn: at least.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 9:45 PM, Ilov80s said:

The basic suppy and demand seems to say so IMO. There are just too many teams with QB problems. Yes, the NFL is gaining Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance. It's also likely losing (at least in terms of being trustworthy starters) Cam, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben. Trubisky, Lock Ryan and Carr might be on their last legs. The Rams staff doesn't seem to have much love for Goff. Haskins and Alex Smith ain't it. Darnold might not be either. There's already rumblings the Dolphins don't think Tua is the guy.  I see a lot of places desperate for QB help and minimal relief available for them. 

This almost makes me wonder if we should keep Stafford lol. After holding him while 15 HOF QBs were in their prime, we're dealing him now when he's one of the last few good QBs left in the league. 

• Like 1

Stafford was by far the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime and hope he ends up somewhere he can win and play meaningful games. Its a shame this dysfunctional team wasted his best years by failing to build a legitimate team around him for most of his time here. A big part of that was because we had to pay our rookies a #### ton of money because we were always picking in the top 10 year after year after year. Toss in mostly terrible drafting and bad free agent signings and this is what you get.

If only Matt had asked for a trade before the last draft or they took 1 of the QBs instead of Okuda, we'd be in a much better situation than we are today.

• Like 1

Matt Stafford still has not said anything but as usual Kelly Stafford confirmed they are gone. I will miss Kellys insightful tweets.

kbstafford89

Verified

Thank you. This place, our home, the people... it’s hard to find the words to explain what this place means to me. Random tears come very often when I think about not being here. This place supported me during the toughest time of my life and during the happiest times and I want to thank y’all in the right way.
Whenever I figure out what the future holds, you’ll be hearing from me again with a thank you that hopefully shows how much gratitude and love I have for this place.. but until then we are going to enjoy our time left in Michigan to the fullest because there really is no other place like it. #detroitvseverybody #staffordstrong

4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Matt Stafford still has not said anything but as usual Kelly Stafford confirmed they are gone. I will miss Kellys insightful tweets.

kbstafford89

Verified

Thank you. This place, our home, the people... it’s hard to find the words to explain what this place means to me. Random tears come very often when I think about not being here. This place supported me during the toughest time of my life and during the happiest times and I want to thank y’all in the right way.
Whenever I figure out what the future holds, you’ll be hearing from me again with a thank you that hopefully shows how much gratitude and love I have for this place.. but until then we are going to enjoy our time left in Michigan to the fullest because there really is no other place like it. #detroitvseverybody #staffordstrong

Indy has many malls but not many lakes. Perfect spot for her and the kids.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

This almost makes me wonder if we should keep Stafford lol. After holding him while 15 HOF QBs were in their prime, we're dealing him now when he's one of the last few good QBs left in the league. 

And now Rodgers seems to be hinting at retirement. Luckily we are in position to land one of the top 4 QB prospects.

1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

Stafford was by far the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime and hope he ends up somewhere he can win and play meaningful games. Its a shame this dysfunctional team wasted his best years by failing to build a legitimate team around him for most of his time here. A big part of that was because we had to pay our rookies a #### ton of money because we were always picking in the top 10 year after year after year. Toss in mostly terrible drafting and bad free agent signings and this is what you get.

If only Matt had asked for a trade before the last draft or they took 1 of the QBs instead of Okuda, we'd be in a much better situation than we are today.

Maybe. Would they have taken Herbert over Tua? I’m not sure they make that move. I am also not sold on Tua yet. He looks like he has a pretty weak arm. I’m fine taking my shot on Fields, Lance or Wilson this year.

• Like 1

And for those who think they won't get enough in trade, I hope you also can't be quoted as a Stafford hater. Because you cant have it both ways. If he sucks, why would you think they would get that much?

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Retirement would be the best, but media types were worried about Rodgers hitting the open market, deflating Stafford's trade value. What they seemed to miss is that Rodgers would finally be out of the division.

With Watson already out there it’s a bit worrisome but I also think there’s enough teams who are close to having a SB team who need QB help to still make a big deal. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Lynn does not strike me as an offensive innovator or guru.  From what I have read about Dorsey is that he is great at spotting talent but no so good at the other aspects of being a GM.   

He's not good at the other aspects of being a GM, but his eye for acquisitions is very much up for debate. There's no questioning his decision making at the most important position, but beyond that? 

KC Drafts

1.1 Eric Fisher - okay

3.63 Travis Kelce - home run

3.96 Knile Davis - nope

4.99 Nico Johnson - nope

1.23 Dee Ford - meh

3.87 Phillip Gaines - nope

4.124 DAnthony Thomas - nope

1.18 Marcus Peters - okay

2.49 Mitch Morse - check

3.76 Chris Conley - nope

3.98 Steven Nelson - okay

4.118 Ramik Wilson - nope

2.37 Chris Jones - check

3.74 Keivare Russell - nope

4.105 Parker Ehringer - nope

4.106 - Eric Murray - nope

4.126 Demarcus Robinson - nope

Beyond round 4 - Tyreek Hill - home run

Cleveland - I read/heard his contract management issues were a problem in KC, but since I didn't follow them I'm not commenting them. I followed this activity closely in Cleveland, so I'll comment on it though.

Traded for Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry, and Demarious Randall. Signed Chris Hubbard, Terrance Mitchell, TJ Carrie, and Carlos Hyde (all meh or worse except for Landry - check)

1.4 Denzel Ward - check

2.33 Austin Corbett - nope (he later traded away Zeitler to play this bum)

2.35 Nick Chubb - check

3.67 Chad Thomas - nope (he traded Ogbah in part so this bum could play)

4.105 Antonio Callaway - nope (he played a direct role in Freddie playing this bum over Higgins)

Signed Kareem Hunt and Sheldon Richardson - improvement

Traded for Beckham and Vernon - incomplete, I consider the Vernon for Peppers swap a draw but he's playing way behind in Beckham v Zeitler + 1st round pick

2.46 Greedy Williams - probably not

3.80 Sione Takitaki - meh

4.119 Sheldrick Redwine - nope

Traded Duke Johnson - hit

Traded for Wyatt Teller - hit

And all this is before considering the behind the scenes poison. He was gifted an unprecedented treasure trove of assets from the prior regime and floundered them away and left this group with a leaky OL, bad secondary, and paper thin depth chart across the board. He's a risk taker, so his hits have a tendency to be loud but they're surrounded by a laundry list of bad decisions. He's to NFL GM's what Rob Deer was for the Tigers. But at least 1992 was entertaining.

26 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Valid criticism if he was actually hired to be the GM. But he's not the GM, he reports to the actual GM. Holmes can take or leave whatever he says.

I don't disagree. I spent most of last offseason fighting with Browns fans pissed about Andrw Berry because Sashi Brown made bad decisions when he was in charge and Berry was a veep. Veeps don't make decisions; GM's do.

I think it'd be naive to dismiss his track record given his fit in this org out of convenience though. He created a wedge with the analytics portion of the Browns front office, got in the pocket of the owner as the sole person who could fix this, and this behavior was consistent with what was rumored about his time in KC. He stepped on one too many toes wrestling for power then unceremoniously got whacked in the middle of summer. So why wouldn't he do something along those lines again? Especially within a dysfunction org like Detroit.

Edited by MAC_32
1 hour ago, CFB Sicko said:

Stafford to the Colts makes too much sense not to happen, imo.

Hoping for a bidding war between the Colts and the Redskins

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

He should have been the HC of the Eagles after 10 years and at the very least OC.

What a get. What is happening in Detroit? Maybe we should publicly bash this team more here, good lord. Some good moves in my opinion since the Stafford announcement. Though some here would say it started With Campbell and even Holmes. 

I think it started with Spielman.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Retirement would be the best, but media types were worried about Rodgers hitting the open market, deflating Stafford's trade value. What they seemed to miss is that Rodgers would finally be out of the division.

I think Rodgers' contract situation makes moving him this off-season more difficult than it would've been for the Lions to move Stafford last season. 

Lions just poached the Rams DB Coach. He said will serve as the Lions DB coach and passing game advisor. I saw some Rams fans posting that they thought he was going to get promoted to Rams DC.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

That would be so Lions esque. Rodgers leaves the division and Stafford leaves us. We were never even THAT good last ten years but there’s been a good few seasons where I wager that we’d have won the division if Rodgers wasn’t the Packers QB 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Stafford to Cowboys picking up steam around Texas.

What’s the trade compensation? I haven’t heard anything more than the same speculation as other teams. I’m not in the Dallas area though. 

28 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Why would Dallas move from Dak to Stafford? Other than salary, just doesn't make sense. 

Detroit needs draft capital in return. They are not anywhere near ready to compete. I will be upset if the majority that they receive in return is another QB. Change culture and build through the draft is the only chance to create a permanent change for this dismal franchise. Taking Goff or Dak (who would immediately need a giant contract) makes no sense.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. You are correct, salary is the only reason to exchange those QBs from a Dallas perspective.

Edited by King of the Jungle
14 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Detroit needs draft capital in return. They are not anywhere near ready to compete. I will be upset if the majority that they receive in return is another QB. Change culture and build through the draft is the only chance to create a permanent change for this dismal franchise. Taking Goff or Dak (who would immediately need a giant contract) makes no sense.

EDIT: Sorry, misread. You are correct, salary is the only reason to exchange those QBs from a Dallas perspective.

Still think it will be Indy or Denver.  Indy first as they are ready to win.  Lions would never take Prescott or Goff as they both will make more than Stafford.

Prescott is either going to be tagged, signed, or released.  If he is tagged it will cost 37 million this season, so i doubt that will happen.  Jones does not seem willing to pay Prescott and maybe even more so after his injury as he may not be the same.  Jones has always like Stafford, and Stafford is from Dallas so i would not totally count them out.

47 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

Why would Dallas move from Dak to Stafford? Other than salary, just doesn't make sense. 

There may not be an "other." Perhaps they feel Dak wants to tie up to much of the salary cap in himself and they would have to gut the rest of the team to meet his demands?

7 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

By announcing that they were parting ways they have screwed that up too.  They aren't going to get much more than a single first it sounds like. 

9 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Still think it will be Indy or Denver.  Indy first as they are ready to win.  Lions would never take Prescott or Goff as they both will make more than Stafford.

Prescott is either going to be tagged, signed, or released.  If he is tagged it will cost 37 million this season, so i doubt that will happen.  Jones does not seem willing to pay Prescott and maybe even more so after his injury as he may not be the same.  Jones has always like Stafford, and Stafford is from Dallas so i would not totally count them out.

Still a bunch of teams in the mix, that alone keeps the price at a decent level. And I agree that the Lions want no part of taking someone else's cap hit. 

3 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

By announcing that they were parting ways they have screwed that up too.  They aren't going to get much more than a single first it sounds like. 

I am not so sure, there are so many teams who could use a quarterback. Stafford’s fairly friendly salary doesn’t hurt either. 

27 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

I am not so sure, there are so many teams who could use a quarterback. Stafford’s fairly friendly salary doesn’t hurt either. 

They might but it sounds like the 49ers lowballed pretty good.  Anyone see any other reports? 

I was mostly commenting that they should be getting more than that and maybe they would have if they didn't announce he was unilaterally being traded. 

1 minute ago, kittenmittens said:

They might but it sounds like the 49ers lowballed pretty good.  Anyone see any other reports? 

I was mostly commenting that they should be getting more than that and maybe they would have if they didn't announce he was unilaterally being traded. 

I agree, seems like it was best not brought public. Maybe that is what Matt (or Kelly) wanted, was for the public to know this was mutual. Is what it is, still a lot of potential suitors. 

So smart by the Lions to announce they agreed he'd be traded. Got ahead of all the QB maneuvering while max openings existed around the league. 

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 202

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

So smart by the Lions to announce they agreed he'd be traded. Got ahead of all the QB maneuvering while max openings existed around the league. 

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 202

Love this! They got a heck of a package.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Capella said:

Guys this isn’t your dorky fantasy football league. Most teams know when a player is available, certainly of his caliber.  

And when you are going to have multiple teams interested, you want people to know they are bidding against other teams. The Lions seemed to have nailed this.

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions. Assuming the Lions don't have the cap hit for Goff's signing bonus (is that how it works?), he has $25 mm in 21 and $10mm in 22 and then his contract has an out.

That's not bad.

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions. Assuming the Lions don't have the cap hit for Goff's signing bonus (is that how it works?), he has $25 mm in 21 and $10mm in 22 and then his contract has an out.

That's not bad.

Not bad? Its an insanely good haul.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Loved it. 👍👍👍

Lions (and Stafford) could not have handled this better. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

That's not bad.

Rams basically gave Detroit a 1st take Goff’s contract 

• Like 1

Congrats Lions fans. You just legally you know what the Rams. As a Skins fan who's still bitter they did the same to us with the RG3 trade, I'm so happy you bent them over! 

Edited by ffmail4me
18 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Loved it. 👍👍

:goodposting: Nailed it.

Beat any potential activity on Watson/Dak/Cousins/Matt Ryan/Jimmy G....plus draft.

Edited by Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub
5 minutes ago, xenon said:

What years are the first rounders? 

2022 and 2023. Rams don’t have a first this year.

• Da Guru changed the title to DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?