What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (124 Viewers)

Don’t have to go back that far to realize how this could work out really well for Detroit. Nobody in their right mind thought that Houston’s 2021 first rounder would be the third pick in the draft when they had a 24-0 lead over the Chiefs in the playoffs last year.
Great example. Given the age of the key players in LA, the lack of 1st round picks and how their coaches/management has been raided by other teams this offseason  and how tough their division is, it is very easy to visualize how the Rams fail. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t have to go back that far to realize how this could work out really well for Detroit. Nobody in their right mind thought that Houston’s 2021 first rounder would be the third pick in the draft when they had a 24-0 lead over the Chiefs in the playoffs last year.
McVay is a good enough coach that I highly doubt that will happen, but this is an aging and top heavy roster. A couple-few unfortunate injuries or unexpected meetings with father time and this team is a risk not to make the playoffs. Curious how much losing a second DC in as many years impacts this unit too. 

That makes perfect sense as a bridge option, albeit a very overpriced one for a very average QB. I would be careful though with any expectation, as he can possibly look worse than he has. Remember, he is coming from a very QB-friendly system.
I think the cost doesn't matter much. We are going to be bad, we aren't looking to add FA talent and we have maybe 5-6 guys already on the team who we will need to extend over the next few seasons. If Goff does end up totally flopping, it is a short term commitment anyway. 

McVay is a good enough coach that I highly doubt that will happen, but this is an aging and top heavy roster. A couple-few unfortunate injuries or unexpected meetings with father time and this team is a risk not to make the playoffs. Curious how much losing a second DC in as many years impacts this unit too. 
No question. I don’t mind the move from the Rams standpoint either. Stafford is definitely an upgrade over Goff, and their window is now. This could definitely be a win/win trade for both teams.

I think the cost doesn't matter much. We are going to be bad, we aren't looking to add FA talent and we have maybe 5-6 guys already on the team who we will need to extend over the next few seasons. If Goff does end up totally flopping, it is a short term commitment anyway. 
It's a win-win for Detroit. The worst case scenario being they part ways next year, and still have that draft stock for rebuild.

They also have to conted with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who are always good. Kyler who could very well take a jump into elite QB territory. If San Fran finds a way to land a legit QB they are a major threat. I could envision any of those 4 years finishing last in that divison.

Look at San Fran this year. That's almost perfect analogue for how the Rams fail. Injuries, QB hurt and even a great coach can't do much more than finish middle of the pack. 

Yeah this trade makes a ton of sense for Detroit, they obviously weren't winning anything with Stafford. If Goff does well, they can either keep him as their QB of the future or trade him for more draft capital. If he stinks (much more likely), they'll just dump him after the season and end up with another high pick for their rebuild.

All indications are the Rams had to give Detroit a 1st just to take Goff so that makes me think no team is giving the Lions anything for Goff. This was an NBA style trade where the Rams had to pay for the Lions to take on a bad asset. 
Why wouldn't Goff instruct his agent to renegotiate his contract to facilitate a trade?  I don't think a one year audition in Detroit will increase his long term earning potential. 

You don't think the Rams explored trading him and getting something in return instead of having to toss way a 1st round pick?
I would hope they did (and assume they didn’t get much interest) but think the Holmes connection helped this get done. I also doubt the Rams asked for a 6th/7th rounder if they were poking around, as that would have made them look like idiots as they just extended him. We don’t have to worry about that, just get rid of him...for anything.

Why wouldn't Goff instruct his agent to renegotiate his contract to facilitate a trade?  I don't think a one year audition in Detroit will increase his long term earning potential. 
Why would Detroit agree to do that? They can easily get out of his deal after '21, which is likely their intention. It's on Goff to prove them wrong and there's no real reason to believe that will happen. 

I would hope they did (and assume they didn’t get much interest) but think the Holmes connection helped this get done. I also doubt the Rams asked for a 6th/7th rounder if they were poking around, as that would have made them look like idiots as they just extended him. We don’t have to worry about that, just get rid of him...for anything.
Detroit received as much compensation as they did to take on Goff. No team in their right mind is giving a pick for him. If Detroit were to move him (they won't) then they would have to pay another team to facilitate. He's an Osweiler. 

How would they renegotiate it? Do we think the Lions want to spread his money out and give him more guaranteed years? I doubt Goff is saying renegotiate my contract so I just make way less money.

Yeah this trade makes a ton of sense for Detroit, they obviously weren't winning anything with Stafford. If Goff does well, they can either keep him as their QB of the future or trade him for more draft capital. If he stinks (much more likely), they'll just dump him after the season and end up with another high pick for their rebuild.
It also gives them good ammo to move up from #7 should their be a QB they fall in love with this year. I know everyone is so anxious to get a rookie in day 1, but having Goff gives them options.

Detroit received as much compensation as they did to take on Goff. No team in their right mind is giving a pick for him. If Detroit were to move him (they won't) then they would have to pay another team to facilitate. He's an Osweiler. 
Goff is better than Osweiler was but I agree that they aren't going to try to flip him.  He's the bridge QB until they land on a rookie QB.

How would they renegotiate it? Do we think the Lions want to spread his money out and give him more guaranteed years? I doubt Goff is saying renegotiate my contract so I just make way less money.
Goff's head has to be spinning right now...he's still only 26 years and just went from being a franchise QB with a monster contract to being shown the door very quickly...career-wise Detroit could be great for him...he doesn't have to worry about the money and he gets an opportunity to start without a ton of pressure and rebuild his reputation...for Detroit they now have options at QB ...maybe Goff is a fit for them or maybe he is simply a bridge for whoever they draft this year (I am assuming they use their #1 on a QB)...overall, this is a real nice way to start a new era in Detroit. 

Read that the Lions had 7 offers on the table and deemed this the best one.

Wonder who were the 6 other teams and what the offers were.

"Goff sacked on the play...wait a minute there's a flag thrown and it looks like Goff attempted to bite Aaron Donald's kneecap on the way back up."

Goff's head has to be spinning right now...he's still only 26 years and just went from being a franchise QB with a monster contract to being shown the door very quickly...career-wise Detroit could be great for him...he doesn't have to worry about the money and he gets an opportunity to start without a ton of pressure and rebuild his reputation...for Detroit they now have options at QB ...maybe Goff is a fit for them or maybe he is simply a bridge for whoever they draft this year (I am assuming they use their #1 on a QB)...overall, this is a real nice way to start a new era in Detroit. 
Really.  I don't see it that way.  I suspect he will play a dozen games and then gives way to their rookie QB.  Detroit will probably cut him the following season.  I think his career trajectory is like Nick Foles was in St. Louis.  He needs to find his 2018 Philadelphia Eagles to get his career back on track. 

I actually really like that the 1st round picks are in 2022 and 2023 for a few reasons:

1. This draft season will be unlike any other. No combine. Star players who didn't play or played in limited games. I know the draft is always a bit of a crap shoot but it could be even moreso this year. 

2. The Lions are going to be really bad this year and likely really bad in 2022 as well. Why start the clock on the rookie deals when the team is bad and burn those years off? It's better to delay that a bit.

3. The Rams play in a loaded division. By this season Stafford will be  33, Robert Woods will be 29, AD will be 30, Whitworth is 39, Kupp will be 28. The team is kind of old and don't have the resources to get younger. It would not surprise me at all if the team is not nearly as good in 2021 and especially 22 as people think. I think the odds are better then people are giving credit for that the 2023 1st rounder is a top 12 pick. 
-Agree on the first point, haven't heard anyone say those things, I agree. CV-19 still a big impact on the NFL right now. 

-Your second point is a very advanced way of thinking for the avg NFL fan, because you're damn right that clock starts running, we're under the gun right now in Miami with Tua and I would almost like to reset that or be ready to turn the page at any point in the next 12+ months because the rest of the team is going to be built out after Year 3 of Flores, should be good enough for a rookie QB to come in and find success right away. We are playing a dangerous game right now BUT they did alllow Flores 12 months prior to Tua and that made a huge difference in all areas minus I would say QB. 

-3rd point I will simple say, speculation on your part but you can never say never. What if their starting QB were to go down in '22 or '23 and they have a Houston Texans like 2020 season minus the QB of course. Yeah, sure it very well could fall great for you all in 22 and 23, you now have 4 1st Round picks, 5 with this year, they might not be done dealing, maybe Goff doesn't unpack his bags or maybe they have the perfect QB to lead them 1-15 or 2-14 and go get you a young QB in next year's draft after Coach kneecaps has a chance to rebuild the lines and believe you me, he will get that part squared away, I am not sure Campbell will get them past 8-8 ever but I think he will rebuild a foundation that someone else can easily take to the next level. 

Think it's a great deal for the Lions. And while I think Goff isn't very good lets see what he can do next year without McVay chirping in his ear for almost the whole play clock. Play Goff the whole year, if he stinks you wind up with a good pick. And if he's good, the Lions luck out. 

Really.  I don't see it that way.  I suspect he will play a dozen games and then gives way to their rookie QB.  Detroit will probably cut him the following season.  I think his career trajectory is like Nick Foles was in St. Louis.  He needs to find his 2018 Philadelphia Eagles to get his career back on track. 
Not saying he will be there for the next 10 years but he can go there without any pressure, get his game squared away/not have his contract be such a burden anymore and put himself into a position for his next job...would rather that then be in a spot like Mariotta or Winston where they are pretty much MIA and waiting for an injury to play...with the Lions he still has a chance to control his own destiny even if he is a bridge QB.

Think it's a great deal for the Lions. And while I think Goff isn't very good lets see what he can do next year without McVay chirping in his ear for almost the whole play clock. Play Goff the whole year, if he stinks you wind up with a good pick. And if he's good, the Lions luck out. 
It is pretty obvious that Goff was a little bit of a square peg in a round hole for what McVay wants and I give them credit for addressing it sooner rather then later as that team is built to win now...the question now becomes does Goff flourish away from McVay, in a style better suited for his talent or is he just an OK QB that will be bouncing from team to team going forward...as you said, there is no downside adding Goff for the Lions and this could actually lead to another deal to help their rebuild.

-Agree on the first point, haven't heard anyone say those things, I agree. CV-19 still a big impact on the NFL right now. 

-Your second point is a very advanced way of thinking for the avg NFL fan, because you're damn right that clock starts running, we're under the gun right now in Miami with Tua and I would almost like to reset that or be ready to turn the page at any point in the next 12+ months because the rest of the team is going to be built out after Year 3 of Flores, should be good enough for a rookie QB to come in and find success right away. We are playing a dangerous game right now BUT they did alllow Flores 12 months prior to Tua and that made a huge difference in all areas minus I would say QB. 

-3rd point I will simple say, speculation on your part but you can never say never. What if their starting QB were to go down in '22 or '23 and they have a Houston Texans like 2020 season minus the QB of course. Yeah, sure it very well could fall great for you all in 22 and 23, you now have 4 1st Round picks, 5 with this year, they might not be done dealing, maybe Goff doesn't unpack his bags or maybe they have the perfect QB to lead them 1-15 or 2-14 and go get you a young QB in next year's draft after Coach kneecaps has a chance to rebuild the lines and believe you me, he will get that part squared away, I am not sure Campbell will get them past 8-8 ever but I think he will rebuild a foundation that someone else can easily take to the next level. 
 Regarding point 2, I think it is a reason why Detroit might be looking to draft a QB this year. Unless a guy they absolutely love is there, I don't think they see the team as a ready for a rookie QB. Sure you could have him sit a year like Mahomes but the team probably isn't ready in 2022 either. Why start that clock when you have Goff who may not be a franchise QB but is certainly a capable NFL starter. 

Point 3 is speculation, you are right. I just think the farther we get away from today, the less certainty there is anything. The confidence with which some people say, "the Rams are really good so those picks with be late 1st rounders" is misguided They might be late picks. The Rams might make a Super Bowl here. However, in the NFL, there are lots of ways things can go sideways. Even if the picks do end up really late 1st rounders, they aren't equivalent to 2nd round picks because they come with a 5th year option. 

It is pretty obvious that Goff was a little bit of a square peg in a round hole for what McVay wants and I give them credit for addressing it sooner rather then later as that team is built to win now...the question now becomes does Goff flourish away from McVay, in a style better suited for his talent or is he just an OK QB that will be bouncing from team to team going forward...as you said, there is no downside adding Goff for the Lions and this could actually lead to another deal to help their rebuild.
Hard to figure out why they gave him that huge extension though. Someone in the organization must have thought he was a good fit 

Hard to figure out why they gave him that huge extension though. Someone in the organization must have thought he was a good fit 
Agreed...they really soured on him very quickly...maybe they thought he had a lot more upside when they did it and he just didn't develop as they had hoped...here is a pretty good article with Kurt Warner explaining what he thought is Goff's issue and it really makes sense...he is good when things go as planned but when they don't he really breaks down.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/23/rams-offense-kurt-warner-jared-goff-problem/

They have the ability to play it by ear.  Unless they "really" love one of these guys then the smart move is to wait to see who falls, if no one does then so be it.  They don't have an emergency need for a QB now.
The flexibility they have now is a huge win. This roster is completely void of talent at most positions. The odds they have a top 2 pick next year are very high, which means they likely have their choice of next years top QBs. 

Take BPA this year, if that is a QB so be it, but no pressure to settle for one this year. 

I agree...pipe dreams are all I have as a Lions fan though. Happy with the picks, hopefully we can capitalize on those.

Agreed...they really soured on him very quickly...maybe they thought he had a lot more upside when they did it and he just didn't develop as they had hoped...here is a pretty good article with Kurt Warner explaining what he thought is Goff's issue and it really makes sense...he is good when things go as planned but when they don't he really breaks down.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/23/rams-offense-kurt-warner-jared-goff-problem/
That sounds a lot like Jimmy G. Pretty good when everything is working, but the minute you need him to make plays or put the team on his back, he usually comes up short.

Not sure what the Rams are doing. I don’t think Stafford is that big an upgrade vs. Goff. And now they are $35M over the projected cap. 

Not sure what the Rams are doing. I don’t think Stafford is that big an upgrade vs. Goff. And now they are $35M over the projected cap. 
I agree here. Goff’s game has fallen off the past two years, but he did lead the team to the Super Bowl and I don’t think he’s as terrible as the narrative is saying. Maybe sometimes one just needs a change of scenery. That said, he does need some more weapons to help him succeed.

It is possible that a change of scenery/coaching could revive Goff's game. It has has happened many times. It is also possible that he can't beat out Chase Daniel.

I agree here. Goff’s game has fallen off the past two years, but he did lead the team to the Super Bowl and I don’t think he’s as terrible as the narrative is saying. Maybe sometimes one just needs a change of scenery. That said, he does need some more weapons to help him succeed.
Stafford has gotten a little better the last few years, while Goff has regressed, as teams figured out his weaknesses. Under pressure, Goff has been bad, while Stafford has been good, at least based on the eye test and commentary. I'm not sure what the analytics say, but Mcvay knows. Stafford has not quite lived up to a #1 overall pick, but he's better than Goff and should help the Rams win 1 or 2 more games.

That sounds a lot like Jimmy G. Pretty good when everything is working, but the minute you need him to make plays or put the team on his back, he usually comes up short.
It probably describes all but maybe 12-15 QBs in the NFL. Stafford is certainly one of the QBs who can improvise when need be. 

It is possible that a change of scenery/coaching could revive Goff's game. It has has happened many times. It is also possible that he can't beat out Chase Daniel.
Possible on both, but like all their backups the last couple years, Daniels really sucked. Combining the 8 games Stafford missed in 2019 with the game he started but left early in the game this year, Lions backups were 0-9 over those 2 years. I think even Goff can win at least one game.

Who is better Cousins or Goff? 
Cousins, imo.

I just have a very low opinion of Goff.  I think in both Hard Knocks he came off poorly.  Aloof, coasting, I just did not get that sharp, bright vibe from him that you get from good QB's.  I don't want to say dumb.. but the guy did think the sun went around the earth if I recall correctly from the 2016 Hard Knocks.  Watching him play, he has always seemed to struggle when things go off script.  I know, that can be said about a lot of QB's, which is why teams are usually trying to move on from those QB's.  There have always been stories about how McVay helped Goff with pre-snap reads through his headset, how McVay controlled audibles because he didn't trust Goff, and how Goff hadn't really progressed as far as reading defenses.  Could all be stories, but it's a lot of smoke for no fire.

We'll see.  I love the trade overall, the picks are fantastic.  If taking Goff was required for the pick package, then so be it.  I just dread watching Goff without the support system and offense he had in LA.  I just really hope this wasn't Holmes still believing in Goff. 

I honestly don't believe the Lions intend Goff to be the "rookie bridge" QB that many others do. 

I think they will try to build around him with a 49ers-type "inside-out" approach. Five first-round picks in the next three years should yield instant contributors in key position groups.

Detroit has an average O-line, no defense and almost zero skill position talent. So it's going to take least 2-3 years to surround Goff with meaningful talent enough to truly evaluate whether he's the guy.

Going down parallel paths and blowing draft capital on a rookie QB anytime soon when the rest of the cupboard is so bare makes very little sense IMO.

How much of a role did Brad Holmes have in scouting Goff and the decision to draft him and later the decision to extend him? Its an important question with Holmes as our new GM. The Rams just treated Goff as a gigantic whiff and they were desperate to unload him/contract.

Different possibilities here. Did Holmes shank the scouting report? Did he pound the table to draft Goff? Or does he view Goff as being a good QB who was misused or overly effected by the food enzyme issue from two years back? Or did just not have much influence in drafting Goff?

If Holmes had a big role in the drafting of Goff for whom the Rams gave up the farm to draft its not a good sign for his succeeding in Detroit. There are probably other variables we may not be aware of but I think his role in drafting Goff is important to know going forward in addition to his views of Goff's present ability to play QB.

How much of a role did Brad Holmes have in scouting Goff and the decision to draft him and later the decision to extend him? Its an important question with Holmes as our new GM. The Rams just treated Goff as a gigantic whiff and they were desperate to unload him/contract.

Different possibilities here. Did Holmes shank the scouting report? Did he pound the table to draft Goff? Or does he view Goff as being a good QB who was misused or overly effected by the food enzyme issue from two years back? Or did just not have much influence in drafting Goff?

If Holmes had a big role in the drafting of Goff for whom the Rams gave up the farm to draft its not a good sign for his succeeding in Detroit. There are probably other variables we may not be aware of but I think his role in drafting Goff is important to know going forward in addition to his views of Goff's present ability to play QB.
Good question but if you were to put that on Holmes, to be fair you would also put the drafting of Aaron Donald and trading for  Ramsey on him. Not to mention Goff was in no way the centerpiece to this trade. Lions took him and his salary as a way to get an extra #1 draft pick. If Goff flames out it really doesn't make this a bad trade.

Wild move and feels like a panic move on the Rams part. They need to start trying to deal some of there own guys away for future 1st round picks or they are going to have a tough time keeping up with other teams. 

Not sure how anyone can think this wasn’t an awesome trade for Detroit.

They weren’t winning a thing with stafford, the roster needs a talent overhaul. The picks are a great start. And Goff is a nice bridge qb who they can cut with almost no cap ramifications in a couple years.

And people lamenting that the Rams first rounders aren't this year but instead start in 2022. That’s a great thing. Rams are a Stafford injury away from being mediocre.

All Detroit has to do right now is take best player available and that could also mean trading down this year to accumulate picks. Build up O Line and D Line.

Good question but if you were to put that on Holmes, to be fair you would also put the drafting of Aaron Donald and trading for  Ramsey on him. Not to mention Goff was in no way the centerpiece to this trade. Lions took him and his salary as a way to get an extra #1 draft pick. If Goff flames out it really doesn't make this a bad trade.
My point is the decision to take Goff in the draft. Holmes was the director of college scouting not the GM. Was Goff his recommendation for the best QB? Looking back at the 2016 draft, it wasn;t a deep year. Only other notable QBs from that draft were Prescott and Wentz. With all the picks in 2022 and the #7 this year, the biggest task for Holmes is finding the next franchise QB. Either through trade or the draft. 

My point is the decision to take Goff in the draft. Holmes was the director of college scouting not the GM. Was Goff his recommendation for the best QB? Looking back at the 2016 draft, it wasn;t a deep year. Only other notable QBs from that draft were Prescott and Wentz. With all the picks in 2022 and the #7 this year, the biggest task for Holmes is finding the next franchise QB. Either through trade or the draft. 
Decision making is the responsibility of the GM. A hypothetical organization could have the best of the best in supporting roles, but no one on the outside would know if those at the top of the org make consistently terrible decisions.

Good trade. Obviously with Stafford they were going nowhere. Stafford very clearly is better then Goff - but they arent able to build a winning team around him. This gives them a ton of capital. I don't even know if I would draft a QB this year. Get a good O line first. If Slater or Sewell are there, take the stud OL. If not grab one of the stud WR. Use the 2nd rounder on the best OL that is there - there's probably a great Guard or Center you can get. Next year - you have a year to see how Goff is doing. If he sucks, and they suck - all the capital it'll be easy to move up (or already be there). But get that OL in place, so when you DO draft a QB, he is protected.

I like Stafford but Jay Cutler won more playoff games. The Lions couldn't win the division with Stafford + Megatron in their primes. This is one of those trades that probably worked out well for both sides. 

Users who are viewing this thread