What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (19 Viewers)

Devonta Smith did not do field drills at Alabama's Pro Day. So you have to guess how fast he is. Which leads to doubt.

Just seems too risky for Lions to use 1.7 on a player who weighs 170 with unknown speed.

Not saying he cant be a productive player but a #1 WR I do not think so.
I think he's shown he can be.  He's not going to be as explosive as Chase or Waddle imo, but he's got incredible hands and runs great routes.  I'd rather have Smith than Waddle, but would take Chase over both.

I've seen more than one mock where nothing but throwers & catchers are going in the first 6 picks. That would leave every defensive player and offensive lineman still on the board at 7.  If so, this guy would still be in play:

(write up courtesy of PFF)

T PENEI SEWELL, OREGON

Sewell recorded a 95.8 PFF grade in 2019, which still stands as the highest-graded season by a Power 5 tackle since 2014. At 6-foot-6, 325-pounds, it’s quite amazing watching Sewell move in space — the overall athleticism is off the charts. He earned a 95.7 grade as a run-blocker in 2019 and was also nearly perfect in pass protection, allowing just seven pressures on 491 snaps.

I've seen more than one mock where nothing but throwers & catchers are going in the first 6 picks. That would leave every defensive player and offensive lineman still on the board at 7.  If so, this guy would still be in play:

T PENEI SEWELL, OREGON

Sewell recorded a 95.8 PFF grade in 2019, which still stands as the highest-graded season by a Power 5 tackle since 2014. At 6-foot-6, 325-pounds, it’s quite amazing watching Sewell move in space — the overall athleticism is off the charts. He earned a 95.7 grade as a run-blocker in 2019 and was also nearly perfect in pass protection, allowing just seven pressures on 491 snaps.
Bengals would be insane to pass on this guy.

I think he's shown he can be.  He's not going to be as explosive as Chase or Waddle imo, but he's got incredible hands and runs great routes.  I'd rather have Smith than Waddle, but would take Chase over both.
Impressive college numbers. Why hide his measurements regarding speed and weight?

I think he's a complementary piece.

T PENEI SEWELL, OREGON

I'd make their next 3 1st round picks OL/DL if I had my way.

Devonta Smith did not do field drills at Alabama's Pro Day. So you have to guess how fast he is. Which leads to doubt.

Just seems too risky for Lions to use 1.7 on a player who weighs 170 with unknown speed.

Not saying he cant be a productive player but a #1 WR I do not think so.
100% agree. To me it would be like the Rams drafting Tavon Austin at #8 overall. And even he weighed 185. Nobody that weighs 170lbs should be drafted in the first round. I'm sorry but that's just basic physics. Best case scenario is Desean Jackson and that's another example of a guy that was constantly injured and also bigger and faster than Devonta Smith.  

Kipers new mock has the 4 QBS going in the top 4 with a Carolina trade up.    Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lantz.  With Kyle Pitts going 5.     Don`t think it will happen that way.

Smith is dynamic but he weighs 170 soaking wet.  A couple big hits concerns me.  Would love to see them be able to trade their pick and move back and maybe get another 2 or 3.  Lions need bodies and talent more than one player at one position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rondale Moore is gonna get overdrafted by somebody. Hope it's not us.
PFF has him as the 5th best WR. Their take:

"The biggest question at this point is his route tree, or rather the lack of it. Pop passes, wide screens and slants — all from the slot — make up the vast majority of his utilization at Purdue.

Just because we haven’t seen a guy do it doesn’t mean he can’t. But in the cases where he did have to make contested catches or get vertical, it was a clear step behind a similarly elite athlete like Jaylen Waddle. He may have to start as a gadget player, but there is considerable room for development with Moore."

@FieldYates

The Lions have converted $20M of Jared Goff’s salary into a signing bonus, creating $15M in cap space for 2021. 

This move will add $5M cap charges to Goff’s deal over the 2022-2024 season, while Detroit gets operating room for the rest of this offseason.

@FieldYates

The Lions have converted $20M of Jared Goff’s salary into a signing bonus, creating $15M in cap space for 2021. 

This move will add $5M cap charges to Goff’s deal over the 2022-2024 season, while Detroit gets operating room for the rest of this offseason.
I can live with this, still doesn't make things too onerous to cut bait if Goff just doesn't work out.

I’d prefer the Lions don’t take a WR with their first pick but if they do Jaylen Waddle has another gear that is exceptional. Not the biggest guy but he’s 3 inches shorter / 9 pounds heavier than his teammate.

I still think it’s too much to pay for a field stretcher + punt returner but what the heck do I know.

I’d prefer the Lions don’t take a WR with their first pick but if they do Jaylen Waddle has another gear that is exceptional. Not the biggest guy but he’s 3 inches shorter / 9 pounds heavier than his teammate.

I still think it’s too much to pay for a field stretcher + punt returner but what the heck do I know.
I would be OK with Chase or Smith, I'm not a big Waddle fan personally.

I would be OK with Chase or Smith, I'm not a big Waddle fan personally.
Chase seems unlikely, he’s sort of the consensus 1st WR off the board. Much more physical receiver than the ‘bama guys.

Smith has a more developed route tree (similar to Jeudy) while Waddle has explosive game changer speed (akin to Ruggs.) I just like his athleticism but I’ll admit that at this stage Davonta probably runs crisper routes. Great production and they should both go in the top ten.

It's not the popular opinion, but IMHO, you Lions have a very interesting WR corps already in place. Not world-beaters, but enough to support Goff/Hockenson and a heavy dose of the ground and pound.

Breshad Perriman, Tyrell Williams (neither true #1's but plenty of snaps vs #1 CB's whether by design, or not), Geronimo Allison (who I believe can be an effective slot guy), Quintez Cephus and Kalif Raymond could be a whole that's better than the sum of it's parts, and in Raymond, you have a competent return man.

Maybe you just see what that group can do, and invest elsewhere on a Team that requires a lot of investment elsewhere?

It's not the popular opinion, but IMHO, you Lions have a very interesting WR corps already in place. Not world-beaters, but enough to support Goff/Hockenson and a heavy dose of the ground and pound.

Breshad Perriman, Tyrell Williams (neither true #1's but plenty of snaps vs #1 CB's whether by design, or not), Geronimo Allison (who I believe can be an effective slot guy), Quintez Cephus and Kalif Raymond could be a whole that's better than the sum of it's parts, and in Raymond, you have a competent return man.

Maybe you just see what that group can do, and invest elsewhere on a Team that requires a lot of investment elsewhere?
imo they still need "A" guy.  I'm with you that it isn't a position they need to go wild with though.  I've said before best case is to trade back and get defensive help and more picks.  Second best is if Sewell is available at 7.  Third choice for me would be receiver just for the talent that is there in Chase or Smith, that's assuming a top QB prospect that the front office loves doesn't fall somehow.

His tape looks great. He just needs to put on 15lbs. But watching the tape also reveals that Mac Jones is super accurate. 
58% of Mac Jones’ throws were RPOs, screens, or off play-action. Just 181 throws were standard dropback passes. In the NFL, we call that an overly-protected quarterback.

I bring this up bc it’s the same criticism people often make about Goff. If you switch up the defense late (after the headset is turned off) he has difficulty seeing the field. He can still be a very successful QB but his upside is limited.

Jones will find someone who wants to take a chance on him, his numbers were gaudy. But he was in a near perfect offense with receivers running wife open all day. He has adequate skills but he hasn’t shown he has the arm to slot a fastball into a tight window. 

@FieldYates

Wonder why they waited to do this or did they just wait to announce it? Do they their eye on somebody on one of the remaining FAs?

Wonder why they waited to do this or did they just wait to announce it? Do they their eye on somebody on one of the remaining FAs?
Dunno.

He only became a member of the team (officially) six days ago. No doubt they need a little flexibility but they’re still barely under the cap - which they need to sign the draft class, plus any on season moves that arise.

Also, this is a pretty clear signal Goff as at least a two year runway. They just created $15M dead money if they cut him after this season (it’s prorated over 4 years.)

Next year will probably be a bigger than normal bump to the cap. We’ll have more room to make impactful FA signings.

58% of Mac Jones’ throws were RPOs, screens, or off play-action. Just 181 throws were standard dropback passes. In the NFL, we call that an overly-protected quarterback.

I bring this up bc it’s the same criticism people often make about Goff. If you switch up the defense late (after the headset is turned off) he has difficulty seeing the field. He can still be a very successful QB but his upside is limited.

Jones will find someone who wants to take a chance on him, his numbers were gaudy. But he was in a near perfect offense with receivers running wife open all day. He has adequate skills but he hasn’t shown he has the arm to slot a fastball into a tight window. 
I think Mac Jones is one of the most accurate QBs that I've ever seen, particularly on deep throws over 20 yds. His arm is nothing special, but he drops dimes under pressure. 

The #Lions are signing LB Alex Anzalone, source says. Former #Saints LB reunited with Dan Campbell on a one-year, $1.75 million deal.

Book on him is that he is a very talented playmaker who could never stay healthy in college or pros. Multiple shoulder injuries. Supposed to be a good LB in coverage.

Anzalone has only committed 4 penalties on 1,389 career defensive snaps

Lions sign WR Damion Ratley. Like Perriman and Williams fast WR with some height. And like them big ypc average.

Never heard of this guy before. Reported to be a rough project out of college with lots of athleticism.

Lions sign WR Damion Ratley. Like Perriman and Williams fast WR with some height. And like them big ypc average.

Never heard of this guy before. Reported to be a rough project out of college with lots of athleticism.
Sounds like his parents named him after watching Fast Times.

Wide Receiver room is gonna need it’s own staff (nutritionist, strength coach.) Just noticed Antwaan Randle El has an Assistant WR Coach (Seth Ryan - Rex’s kid.)

The #Lions are signing LB Alex Anzalone, source says. Former #Saints LB reunited with Dan Campbell on a one-year, $1.75 million deal.

Book on him is that he is a very talented playmaker who could never stay healthy in college or pros. Multiple shoulder injuries. Supposed to be a good LB in coverage.

Anzalone has only committed 4 penalties on 1,389 career defensive snaps
Dan Miller: Penisini and Anzalone stuff him at the line that's a big time stop!

Is this up to date? From PFN 8 hours ago but there’s probably a better FA tracker.

Is there really nothing else out there?

Top remaining NFL free-agent wide receivers in 2021

1) Antonio Brown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2) Sammy Watkins, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Adam Humphries, Tennessee Titans
4) Demarcus Robinson, Kansas City Chiefs
5) Marquise Goodwin, San Francisco 49ers
6) Golden Tate, New York Giants
7) Cordarrelle Patterson, Chicago Bears
😎 Willie Snead, Baltimore Ravens

Quintez and a couple injury prone vets + mouth breathers + whoever gets drafted. That’s it, eh.

Oh, sorry Geronimo. How could I forget.

Is this up to date? From PFN 8 hours ago but there’s probably a better FA tracker.

Is there really nothing else out there?

Top remaining NFL free-agent wide receivers in 2021

1) Antonio Brown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2) Sammy Watkins, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Adam Humphries, Tennessee Titans
4) Demarcus Robinson, Kansas City Chiefs
5) Marquise Goodwin, San Francisco 49ers
6) Golden Tate, New York Giants
7) Cordarrelle Patterson, Chicago Bears
😎 Willie Snead, Baltimore Ravens

Quintez and a couple injury prone vets + mouth breathers + whoever gets drafted. That’s it, eh.

Oh, sorry Geronimo. How could I forget.
4 former Lions WRs still available. Demarcus Robinson resigned today. Westbrook has some juice to him but coming off ACL.

WIDE RECEIVER

Allen Robinson (27) -- Re-signed one-year, $17.88M deal with CHI
Chris Godwin (25) -- Re-signed one-year, $17.88M deal with TB
Kenny Golladay (27) -- Signed four-year deal with NYG
Will Fuller (26) -- Signed one-year deal with MIA
JuJu Smith-Schuster (24) -- Re-signed one-year deal with PIT
T.Y. Hilton (31) -- Re-signed one-year deal with IND
Corey Davis (26) -- Signed three-year deal with NYJ
A.J. Green (32) -- Signed one-year deal with ARZ
Curtis Samuel (24) -- Signed three-year deal with WSH
Rashard Higgins (26) -- Re-signed one-year deal with CLE
Sammy Watkins (27)
Antonio Brown (32)
Marvin Jones (31) -- Signed two-year deal with JAX
Josh Reynolds (26) -- Signed undisclosed deal with TEN
Emmanuel Sanders (34) -- Signed one-year deal with BUF
John Brown (30) -- Signed one-year deal with LV
Kendrick Bourne (25) -- Signed three-year deal with NE
Demarcus Robinson (26)
Adam Humphries (27)
David Moore (26) -- Signed two-year deal with CAR
Nelson Agholor (27) -- Signed two-year deal with NE
Breshad Perriman (27) -- Signed one-year deal with DET
DeSean Jackson (34) -- Signed one-year deal with LAR
Marquise Goodwin (30)
Golden Tate (32)
Alshon Jeffery (31)
Dede Westbrook (27)
John Ross (25) -- Signed one-year deal with NYG
Keelan Cole (27) -- Signed one-year deal with NYJ
Tyrell Williams (29) -- Signed one-year, $4M deal with DET
Chris Conley (28) -- Signed one-year deal with HOU
Alex Erickson (28) -- Signed one-year deal with HOU
Isaiah McKenzie (25) -- Re-signed undisclosed deal with BUF
Marqise Lee (29)
Trent Taylor (26)
Andre Roberts (33) -- Signed two-year deal with HOU
Cordarrelle Patterson (30)
Jamal Agnew (25) -- Signed three-year deal with JAX
Chad Hansen (26)
Marvin Hall (27)
Willie Snead (28)
Mike Thomas (26) -- Re-signed undisclosed deal with CIN
Kalif Raymond (26) -- Signed one-year deal with DET
Damiere Byrd (28)
Danny Amendola (35)
Isaiah Ford (25)
Larry Fitzgerald (37)
Dez Bryant (32)
Phillip Dorsett (28) -- Signed undisclosed deal with JAX
Cody Core (26)
Taywan Taylor (26)
Trent Sherfield (25) -- Signed one-year deal with SF
Jaydon Mickens (26)
Noah Brown (25) -- Re-signed one-year deal with DAL
Laquon Treadwell (25)
Mohamed Sanu (31)
Chris Moore (27) -- Signed one-year deal with HOU
Mack Hollins (27) -- Re-signed one-year deal with MIA
Bennie Fowler (29)
Pharoh Cooper (28)
JoJo Natson (27) -- Re-signed one-year deal with CLE
Zay Jones (25) -- Re-signed one-year deal with LV

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

WIDE RECEIVER

Sammy Watkins (27)
Antonio Brown (32)
Demarcus Robinson (26)
Adam Humphries (27)
Marquise Goodwin (30)
Golden Tate (32)
Alshon Jeffery (31)
Dede Westbrook (27)
Marqise Lee (29)
Trent Taylor (26)
Cordarrelle Patterson (30)
Chad Hansen (26)
Marvin Hall (27)
Willie Snead (28)
Damiere Byrd (28)
Danny Amendola (35)
Isaiah Ford (25)
Larry Fitzgerald (37)
Dez Bryant (32)
Cody Core (26)
Taywan Taylor (26)
Jaydon Mickens (26)
Laquon Treadwell (25)
Mohamed Sanu (31)
Bennie Fowler (29)
Pharoh Cooper (28)
I see WFT is making a push for Humphries; man that would really set them up for his fall.

Maybe we sign TT (Hock & Kittle's workout buddy) as a reclamation project. Would be nice to have at least one capable slot WR going into the draft.

Would love to see Willie Snead brought in. Solid and underrated, I think he would provide a nice slot option. He also played high school ball in Michigan.

Would love to see Willie Snead brought in. Solid and underrated, I think he would provide a nice slot option. He also played high school ball in Michigan.
He's a veteran and a slot receiver. They need a slot. Maybe they dont like him because will be 29 this year and not a big play threat.

Campbell says he doesn't want turds on Lions. This guy is going to be entertaining, perhaps motivating but definitely not classy.

Users who are viewing this thread