What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (12 Viewers)

There is quite a bit of buzz that the Lions are looking at LB Micah Parsons, which I am good with.  Detroit needs that anchor on defense and Micah looks like a stud. 
There are some character concerns with Parsons.

I like the ND LB. Read a scouting report that thought he was best coverage LB in draft. Played safety previously. Also was a finalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy that combines both character and performance.

+2800 for the Lions just to win their weak to mediocre division?  Not expecting much, but I see this team headed in a much much better direction than the cluster-f Matt Patricia was taking them.  

+2800 for the Lions just to win their weak to mediocre division?  Not expecting much, but I see this team headed in a much much better direction than the cluster-f Matt Patricia was taking them.  
Not sure how you could see them beating Green Bay, what are their odds compared to the Bears?

Not sure how you could see them beating Green Bay, what are their odds compared to the Bears?
Bears are +600.  Minn +350 and they have GB at -250.   Certainly GB is the best team, but not a great team.  And if Rogers gets banged up, the Pack is not much.  +2800 is pretty crazy IMHO for a somewhat weak division.  I see the Lions a bit weaker at QB and WR and PK, but I think they will be better everywhere else.  

Last edited by a moderator:
jon_mx said:
Bears are +600.  Minn +350 and they have GB at -250.   Certainly GB is the best team, but not a great team.  And if Rogers gets banged up, the Pack is not much.  +2800 is pretty crazy IMHO for a somewhat weak division.  I see the Lions a bit weaker at QB and WR and PK, but I think they will be better everywhere else.  
I’ve been putting in some small bet parlays on division winners, and I have one silly one with det winning the division because new coaches sometimes make a huge difference. One of them is a $.10 bet that will pay $250k, sure, it won’t happen but what do I have to lose? It has teams like pit/was/Tennessee/Seattle/mia so it isn’t even all the teams with the worst odds...Det/Atl the only really long shots. I’ll risk a dime for it. How the bears have odds they are that much better are beyond me. Maybe I’m underestimating Andy dalton?

Fun fact: Indy had better odds when they had no qb, and went down when they got wentz. 

I’ve been putting in some small bet parlays on division winners, and I have one silly one with det winning the division because new coaches sometimes make a huge difference. One of them is a $.10 bet that will pay $250k, sure, it won’t happen but what do I have to lose? It has teams like pit/was/Tennessee/Seattle/mia so it isn’t even all the teams with the worst odds...Det/Atl the only really long shots. I’ll risk a dime for it. How the bears have odds they are that much better are beyond me. Maybe I’m underestimating Andy dalton?

Fun fact: Indy had better odds when they had no qb, and went down when they got wentz. 
I don't get the Wentz hate.  I think him and Goff could see some new life with new teams.  I will probably put $100-$200 down on the Lions to win the division.  I really just hope they get close enough at the end where i have some some equity so I can place a profitable hedge bet.  

Seeing the Dolphins trade down from the 3rd pick in order to add 2 future 1st rounders just highlights how incompetent Quinn was in last year's draft.
I hate to defend him because he was awful but I do believe there wasn't a team interested in trading up last year. The combination of QBs available, teams needing QBs and where those teams were drafting left the Lions really unlucky. 

I don't get the Wentz hate.  I think him and Goff could see some new life with new teams.  I will probably put $100-$200 down on the Lions to win the division.  I really just hope they get close enough at the end where i have some some equity so I can place a profitable hedge bet.  
I actually like Goff more than Wentz. I know situations weren't equal but bad Goff is game manager. Bad Wentz is self destructive. 

If Rodgers misses any significant time, that division is up for grabs. 

Lions went from +2000 to +2800. I took advantage of a fair amount of Washington at +400 before they signed Fitz. Good luck:)

I hate to defend him because he was awful but I do believe there wasn't a team interested in trading up last year. The combination of QBs available, teams needing QBs and where those teams were drafting left the Lions really unlucky. 
Being incompetent and unlucky is a bad brew.

Would love to see Lions have some luck and trade down this year.

Ever wonder why you sometimes get depressed? Well being a Lions fan may help explain it.

Read an article today that said that since the NFL in 1978 went to 16 games the Lions have a record of 268 wins, 410 losses, and two ties, with the NFL’s worst winning percentage (.396) between the years of 1978-2020. During that 43-year span, Detroit had a season-ending record of 8-8 or better only 14 times. Four of those winning seasons took place over the last decade.

But Quinntricia was worse with an overall winning percentage (.302) and a 14-33-1 record .

Ever wonder why you sometimes get depressed? Well being a Lions fan may help explain it.

Read an article today that said that since the NFL in 1978 went to 16 games the Lions have a record of 268 wins, 410 losses, and two ties, with the NFL’s worst winning percentage (.396) between the years of 1978-2020. During that 43-year span, Detroit had a season-ending record of 8-8 or better only 14 times. Four of those winning seasons took place over the last decade.

But Quinntricia was worse with an overall winning percentage (.302) and a 14-33-1 record .
3 of those 4 were with Jim Caldwell. Think about that- Jim Caldwell had winning seasons in 3 of his four years, which is 3 of the 14 winning seasons in the last 43 years, and we fired him because he “wasn’t good enough.” And he never got a chance with another team. 

3 of those 4 were with Jim Caldwell. Think about that- Jim Caldwell had winning seasons in 3 of his four years, which is 3 of the 14 winning seasons in the last 43 years, and we fired him because he “wasn’t good enough.” And he never got a chance with another team. 
Bizarre.

I tried to not be a lions fan, but I can’t really get my heart into another team. I learned long ago to  expect disappointment so I don’t really let them get me down. Someday I hope I can look forward to watching them every Sunday, and it’s been entertaining watching sanders and megatron, and heck I’ll throw stafford in there, his comebacks were always pretty exciting before the defense gave it back.  There was a period where it was really really hard to watch, when bryson was about the only viable fantasy guy (as a flex/bye week filler.) 

It seems like we are having a real rebuild, no talk of “this is more of a retool than a rebuild” that I’ve heard anyway, so I’m always optimistic that we will find the right people.

With so many years of ineptitude, it really stings looking back at the playoff game vs Dallas where they called a penalty, announced the penalty, then decided to un-announce the penalty and give the Cowboys a chance to win (which they did.) That would have pretty much iced the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snorkelson said:
I was a Jim Caldwell defender.  I never understood the move.  Getting the Lions to the playoffs is a great accomplishment. Caldwell is not a great football mind and would occasionally do stupid things, but he had a pretty good staff and created a very player-friendly atmosphere.  

Snorkelson said:
Caldwell did not inherit a zero talent team like Schwartz did.

Caldwell took over arguably the most talented Lion team in decades.  Had Stafford, Calvin, Suh, Reggie Bush, Golden Tate, Ziggy, Levy,Quinn all in their prime years. The team did well but it should have been better. I agree with many takes on Caldwell that he was a good HC Mon-Saturday but struggled on gameday.  That being said Patricia was worse.

JS turned the team around and franchise and he never got another HC job and I doubt Caldwell will either.  I know Patrica won`t.  Team don`t want ex-Lions coaches.

Caldwell did not inherit a zero talent team like Schwartz did.

Caldwell took over arguably the most talented Lion team in decades.  Had Stafford, Calvin, Suh, Reggie Bush, Golden Tate, Ziggy, Levy,Quinn all in their prime years. The team did well but it should have been better. I agree with many takes on Caldwell that he was a good HC Mon-Saturday but struggled on gameday.  That being said Patricia was worse.

JS turned the team around and franchise and he never got another HC job and I doubt Caldwell will either.  I know Patrica won`t.  Team don`t want ex-Lions coaches.
I can agree, and Mayhew is showing he is a good executive as well. Would you feel differently if Caldwell won a playoff game? The call/non call with 8:30 left still stings- if Detroit can finish that drive with a td, Dallas is done. Even taking more time off and getting a fg really puts the pressure on. 

Now, I haven’t forgotten about sam martins 10 yard punt right after that, and we could have stopped them or scored at the end, but the momentum had swung, and that’s the game. 

I can agree, and Mayhew is showing he is a good executive as well. Would you feel differently if Caldwell won a playoff game? The call/non call with 8:30 left still stings- if Detroit can finish that drive with a td, Dallas is done. Even taking more time off and getting a fg really puts the pressure on. 

Now, I haven’t forgotten about sam martins 10 yard punt right after that, and we could have stopped them or scored at the end, but the momentum had swung, and that’s the game. 
When the Lions get jobbed liked they did in that Dallas game I want Campbell to scream bloody murder regardless of fines or consequences. To me, if that happens, I will think that the Lions have turned the corner. As I see it over the years the Lions have been screwed over so many times and Lions just bite their lips and keep quiet. I want a mgt that says we aren't taking any more garbage from anyone.

When the Lions get jobbed liked they did in that Dallas game I want Campbell to scream bloody murder regardless of fines or consequences. To me, if that happens, I will think that the Lions have turned the corner. As I see it over the years the Lions have been screwed over so many times and Lions just bite their lips and keep quiet. I want a mgt that says we aren't taking any more garbage from anyone.
You mean scream like dez Bryant did during that penalty? Where he ran on the field to complain and, again, the refs decided that would also not be a penalty? Double jobbed.

Watching the Pluto version of NFL Network. After about a dozen straight games where the Lions are on the losing side, they show the 2012 game vs. the Rams where the Lions actually win.

I have no idea how him being a HC is gonna go, but damn do I find his energy appealing.  Schwartz had a bit of that, but this guy just seems to be at 11 every minute of every day.  It feels sincere, and damn would it be fun for a guy like that to succeed here.
Very Schwartz like but the difference is Campbell seems very positive and easy to get a long with. Schwartz was little edgier. Campbell is The Dude. 

Wrong thread I suppose but this is interesting/cool:

The NFL is expected to pass a rule that will relax jersey number restrictions, per @peter_king 

— QB: 1-19
— WR: 1-49, 80-89
— RB: 1-49, 80-89
— TE: 1-49, 80-89
— DB: 1-49
— LB: 1-59, 90-99
— OL: 50-79
— DL: 50-79, 90-99

The more I think about it the more I hope they draft Sewell or Slater. Having four O-lineman who are very solid with 2-3 capable of playing at PB/AP level is a great foundation. We already have capable starters at most positions throughout the offense. Would rather see us draft WRs on Day Two and Three this year. 

It's looking like a QB heavy top ten and the number of trade back partners have diminished. Cannot imagine Chase falling to #7 but if he does, we absolutely should take him. I'm not convinced that the hype on Pitts is legit; he nowhere near as fast as Calvin, and he is not ready to be a fulltime WR. He has average speed as an outside receiver - that's not hyperbole, the average WR 40 time is 4.45 - and to my thinking the best fit for him would be a team that doesn't already have a top 5 TE. Smith is too skinny, and while I think Waddle has an exceptional gear, for that draft capital I would want a more complete route runner.

Needs wise, the LB is a disaster and the defense the last two years has been amongst the worst in franchise history (and you can count on one hand the number of times we've had a top ten defense in our lifetimes.) Logically we would be drafting only defenders in most of the first four rounds (5 of our 6 picks.) But IMO there is not an elite game changer defensive player who will make an immediate impact at #7. Parsons or JOK are complimentary starters, not stars - IMO. The best solution would have been trade back and pick up an extra pick, but that ship might have sailed.

Detroit Lions 2021 Draft Picks

Round 1: No. 7 overall
Round 2: No. 41
Round 3: No. 72, No. 101 (from Rams)
Round 4: No. 112
Round 5: No. 153

Biggest needs per the X-spurts: OL, WR, LB, CB, DT

If I had to rank those 5 I would put it  LB/WR/OL/DT/CB (I'm counting on the new #23 to make a big improvement.) Logically, I don't feel great about Sewell or Slater, and a lot of people think Waddle is the chalk pick. But when you really think about it, if we draft a stud lineman we should have an outstanding, definite top 10 possibly top 5 OL with Swift in his prime production years for the next 2-3 seasons.

Well that was some interesting mental gymnastics. We're drafting Pitts, aren't we?

The more I think about it the more I hope they draft Sewell or Slater. Having four O-lineman who are very solid with 2-3 capable of playing at PB/AP level is a great foundation. We already have capable starters at most positions throughout the offense. Would rather see us draft WRs on Day Two and Three this year. 

It's looking like a QB heavy top ten and the number of trade back partners have diminished. Cannot imagine Chase falling to #7 but if he does, we absolutely should take him. I'm not convinced that the hype on Pitts is legit; he nowhere near as fast as Calvin, and he is not ready to be a fulltime WR. He has average speed as an outside receiver - that's not hyperbole, the average WR 40 time is 4.45 - and to my thinking the best fit for him would be a team that doesn't already have a top 5 TE. Smith is too skinny, and while I think Waddle has an exceptional gear, for that draft capital I would want a more complete route runner.

Needs wise, the LB is a disaster and the defense the last two years has been amongst the worst in franchise history (and you can count on one hand the number of times we've had a top ten defense in our lifetimes.) Logically we would be drafting only defenders in most of the first four rounds (5 of our 6 picks.) But IMO there is not an elite game changer defensive player who will make an immediate impact at #7. Parsons or JOK are complimentary starters, not stars - IMO. The best solution would have been trade back and pick up an extra pick, but that ship might have sailed.

Detroit Lions 2021 Draft Picks

Round 1: No. 7 overall
Round 2: No. 41
Round 3: No. 72, No. 101 (from Rams)
Round 4: No. 112
Round 5: No. 153

Biggest needs per the X-spurts: OL, WR, LB, CB, DT

If I had to rank those 5 I would put it  LB/WR/OL/DT/CB (I'm counting on the new #23 to make a big improvement.) Logically, I don't feel great about Sewell or Slater, and a lot of people think Waddle is the chalk pick. But when you really think about it, if we draft a stud lineman we should have an outstanding, definite top 10 possibly top 5 OL with Swift in his prime production years for the next 2-3 seasons.

Well that was some interesting mental gymnastics. We're drafting Pitts, aren't we?
I agree.   Watched Pitts run and is is not nearly as smooth as Calvin..much choppier stride.  Good for a TE not so sure about WR.

Smith would not run or get on scale.  Says he is 170, one reporter said he looked closer to 160 in T and shorts.   Smith will break some big plays but concerned about durability in the NFL.

Sewell-  Pundits say stud O-lineman are the safest first rd picks as they pan out more than other positions. Any other year and he would be a top 3 for sure.  

Chase-  Chase has all the makings to be a very good wR.  Cinci will take Chase or Sewell.

Waddle-  Waddle is right behind Chase.

Parsons-   Parsons at 12-15 after a trade back would be OK..not at 7.

All That being said Lions welcome Trey Lantz as our next franchise QB.

If Holmes manages to get Sewell or trades back and gets Parsons, he will be celebrated as the greatest GM in Lions history before a game is played under his regime.

If Holmes manages to get Sewell or trades back and gets Parsons, he will be celebrated as the greatest GM in Lions history before a game is played under his regime.
Holmes and MCDC remind of the girl I took to senior prom. Man I was so thrilled before the actual event. Gravity is bummer sometimes.

If Fields does fall to us, we would be crazy to not trade back or even just draft him and look to move him as the draft goes on. I can't believe that a player as talented as him wouldn't fetch at a minimum a 1st this year and a 1st next year. Fields and Lance have immense upside at the position with the most upside. However, if you look at the track record of QBs taken in the 1st round, it's not always so pretty and I think a lot of the success or failure of the QBs has been dependent on the team situation. Mahomes, Lamar, Watson, Herbrt were all amazing QBs but they also joined teams that had just recently made the playoffs. I think I buy into the theory that you want to build a solid foundation before you add your franchise QB. Why waste 1-3 years of that QB rookie deal rebuilding? 

Sewell and Slater are at the top of my board with a bullet. Even when 1st round OTs only partially pan out, they can still be traded for large hauls. A 1st round OT has to be really bad to not be a valuable NFL commodity. When you look around the league, the best OTs are almsot always 1st round picks as well. There is great WR value on day 2 to be had. So much so that I actually think I am putting Pitts above Chase. Pitts is a TE but he is also a true unicorn. There is no player in the draft (and only 2 or 3 in the NFL) that can do what Pitts can. There may not be another WR as good as Chase but there are others who can play a similar role for a team. Plus I think size is important. Whether it is OT or TE in this case, finding guys who have both top end size and top end athleticism is just a more rare commodity. 

Here is my dream Lions draft (used the Draft Network simulator)

1st: OT Penei Sewell: Lions would probably be set up to have a top 3 NFL OL for the next 3 years. 

2nd: WR Elijah Moore: This is obviously a huge need. For the short term with have bigger outside targets, could use a slot WR to be the Cooper Kupp safety valve for Goff. Moore is like a supercharged Jarvis Landry. 

3rd: DT Milton Williams: Athletic freak who may slip due to smaller school and being seen as a bit undersized but like AD he is twitchy, explosive and can rush the passer. There is big upside here IMO.

3rd: Nico Collins: Perriman and Tyrell Williams are very short term answers outside but they should buy Nico a year to develop. I was always a fan of him at Michigan and was so frustrated with how Harbaugh used the receivers. The QB play was awful as well. Nico is probably the best project WR in the class. He really is a physical ideal for the position: 6'4", 215 4.50 speed and nice agility, burst. I think he can potentially develop similarly to how Golladay developed. 

I was ready to anoint him that when he said he was going to trade Chase Daniel. But alas nothing happened and they ended up just dumping him.

It would be a good omen, if Lions were able to finangle a trade back. Lots of good wrs and OTs available later.

Very Schwartz like but the difference is Campbell seems very positive and easy to get a long with. Schwartz was little edgier. Campbell is The Dude. 
No doubt players love Campbell.  I like the coaching talent he is bring in and they seem to be making smart moves.  Total opposite vibe from the last regime.  I also really like that Sheila Ford really wants to win and is involved but not in an  interfering fashion.  The vibe seems different.  Not that this team is close to winning anything, but they do look like they are headed in the right direction. 

Both in the draft history of the organization and across the league, the safest bet to acquire a solid starter from a top ten pick is on the O-line and outside WR. If Sewell is still there - def possibility with the top 6 likely to include 4 QBs and Pitts - that would further strengthen one of the Lions strongest position groups. Even Slater would likely give the Lions four solid starters, 2-3 of whom are capable of playing at a Pro Bowl/All Pro level. In Swift’s prime production years.

Conversely, if Slater and 5 aforementioned are off the board, Ja’marr Chase is the most complete WR available. His workout numbers are impressive: sub 4.4, 41” vertical, 11’ broad jump. Full route tree. Dominant breakout season at age 19 (led NCAA in yards, receiving TDs) which is a very solid leading indicator of success at the next level. Solidifies a weak positional group, he’ll be the WR1 from Go.

Both those scenarios are solid building blocks. I don’t feel the same way about reaching for an off the ball LB (JOK or Parsons) or one of the top CBs (Farley, Horn, Surtain), though those are definitely tempting targets bc they represent two of the greatest needs for the current Lions roster.

If Fields does fall to us, we would be crazy to not trade back or even just draft him and look to move him as the draft goes on.
While I agree this would be a solid strategy on paper, I don't think that happens too often in the NFL.  The drafting of a player just to trade him 30 minutes later is more of a NBA thing.

While I agree this would be a solid strategy on paper, I don't think that happens too often in the NFL.  The drafting of a player just to trade him 30 minutes later is more of a NBA thing.
Ok then fine you have Justin Fields. What is the problem with that? I just find it very hard to believe Fields couldn't be traded for a 1st ++. Look at what Darnold got and he's a bust. If Okudah played as bad for 3 years as Darnold had, not a chance on Earth the Lions could get antyhing more than a 6th round speculative pick for him. Stafford is an older QB with some wear and tear and a sizable contract. Look what the haul for him was. SF just moved a mountain to get a QB. QB value is just so far ahead of the value of any other position. 

Users who are viewing this thread