What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (26 Viewers)

Lions really need some team to want QB4. Best case they get the call themselves, giving them that tradedown opportunity. 2nd best case is another team in front trades back and that leaves another good player on the board. No trade downs and the choices become lesser.
QB5 could also be in demand if Jones goes to SF. Could easily see a team panic and make a huge offer if Lance is the last blue chip QB at 7, with Carolina and Denver lurking at 8 and 9. That's my best case scenario. 

Outside of that I want Sewell or Slater. Either would give us a rock-solid offensive line to start the rebuild - I can't imagine a better way to do it. Wouldn't bother me if any of the offensive players turn into stars. Build the line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just had my favorite simulation:

17. Micah Parsons, LB, PSU

41. Richie Grant, S, UCF

49. Asante Samuel Jr., CB, FSU

72. Jalen Mayfield, OT, UofM

101. Nico Collins, WR, UofM

112. Ambry Thomas, CB, UofM

153. Jaylon Moore, OT, WMU

2022 2nd Round Pick LVR

2022 2nd Round Pick ARI

Might be a little UofM heavy.  :oldunsure:

That puts us in a tough spot if that is the case. Seven is really the drop off. Maybe someone is willing to move up to take QB Lance or Jones, if not it will be interesting to see what direction we go in.
If that team thinks they can get their QB at 7, Lions can trade back.  If that team trades with someone at 4-6, that drops one of the non QBs to the Lions. I'm hoping for Sewall, but might just settle for Slater.

Leroy Hoard said:
If that team thinks they can get their QB at 7, Lions can trade back.  If that team trades with someone at 4-6, that drops one of the non QBs to the Lions. I'm hoping for Sewall, but might just settle for Slater.
Broncos, Pats are good trade partners for Fields/Lance, Chargers for a LT, Titans if Pitts falls, et al. Big fan of either option: take a OT or trade back. Multiple trade backs (with say LAC then TEN) would bring a big haul.

I’m gonna scream at my tv if we draft a run-n-chase LB at #7. He’s a talent but just no. We can draft a similar player at #41 or #72 or whatever we pickup (#47 from the Bolts or #53 from TT.)

Trade back, take Newsome/Farley in the 20s, an Edge/LB/NT/S with the next few picks, then Nico &/or a jitterbug + the BYU tackle or the LT from Western at #153....my perfect draft. Lots of depth in this at those 5 positions  (CB - not so much, late 1st/early 2nd for impact....the later round guys are pretty limited upside IMO.)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Big moment for Holmes & Co, hope they nail it.

Is a WR from Alabama really going to turn the franchise around? I'm a MIami fan so please understand I am asking myself a similar question and my answer is NO! I would be interested in any opinions you all have on what you would like to see happen on Draft Day, I'll scroll up thru this team thread as well, that should give me a current temperature on some of y'all. 

Example:

Trade #7 to the Cards for #16, #49 and 2022 3rd

I think Miami is also in the mix with AZ, Chicago and yes even Tennessee.

Trade #16 to the Colts for #21 & #54

Another trade partner I like Miami to connect with after they slide back a few spots. 

Trade #21 to the Saints for #28 and 2022 2nd

You done your homework, another great soft spot to slide back or trade with. 👍

At #28 you can start off with a run and chase LB (Jamin Davis or Zaven Collins) or a starting DB (Caleb Farley or Trevon Moehig), with 8 picks this year and 9 in 2022.

:clap:

2021: #28, #41, #49, #54, #72, #101, #112, #153

Find one more trade partner at 54 or 72 and you can package the 5th rounder with the late 3rd/early 4th swap to pick up another 4th or a 2022 3rd/4th.

Hoping Holmes will be very active working trade backs next week. There is a ton of depth at WR, S, LB, DT to be had in this draft - all areas we need to upgrade.
Hard to argue against anything you posted, I was very clear in my agreement and I think you are right on. A couple teams including my beloved Miami Dolphins should follow a similar playbook, just happens we draft close or next to Detroit in almost every round. 

Good stuff Bobby

Is a WR from Alabama really going to turn the franchise around? I'm a MIami fan so please understand I am asking myself a similar question and my answer is NO! I would be interested in any opinions you all have on what you would like to see happen on Draft Day, I'll scroll up thru this team thread as well, that should give me a current temperature on some of y'all. 
Chase, Smith and Waddle s/b pro ready and will have nice careers. We’re not winning in 2021 and from an investment standpoint  prefer to either a) make a top ten O-line elite, or b) leverage the pick for more draft capital.

The roster is a shambles. The LBs are literally the worst group in the league and the WR room would look bad if it were an expansion draft team. Yet it’s important to remember this is a long term rebuild. Retooling to shore up one or two weaknesses doesn’t fit the long term plan. Off the ball linebackers are not worth taking in the top ten IMO and there are 30-35 guys who will start in 3WR sets from this draft class. Build it from the inside out (or trade back and grab a top 3-4 CB.) 

This is not the year to pull a Millen with the first pick of the new regime. 

I would be interested in any opinions you all have on what you would like to see happen on Draft Day, I'll scroll up thru this team thread as well, that should give me a current temperature on some of y'all. 
Perhaps just my 2 cents, but the general fanbase landscape as I see it for #7:

1. Trade Down 2. OT (Sewell could be 1 if Cincy somehow passes on him) 3. QB (at least Fields) 4. Chase 5. Parsons (again, for 7. obviously gains value soon after) 6. Basically any other person who might go in the top 20 7. Pitts (not that I wouldn't be surprised if he went earlier, but still)

PFF gives you a letter grade for each pick & overall draft. Just OK overall.

PFN simulator brings a lot of trade offers; it’s fun trading out of the 7th pick and if you make a few trades you end up having 8-10 picks to work with plus a couple 2022s. Also their player profiles have more info.

:nerd:
If it were only as easy to trade down as it is in these simulators. Trading #7 for #9 with Denver is such a rewarding way to start the Lions draft.

I think the draft might go 

Lawrence, Wilson, Fields or Lance 

Pitts

Chase 

Trade down for a QB team or Waddle 

I think we might have the pick of OTs and that would probably be the most solid and logical choice, failing a trade down, or Chase somehow falling. 

For the first time in years I'm going to be on the edge of my seat during the top ten. If Sewell makes it past Cincy I'll be excited and scared at the same time.

For the first time in years I'm going to be on the edge of my seat during the top ten. If Sewell makes it past Cincy I'll be excited and scared at the same time.
Such difference in opinions. Dan Orlovsky saying Lions must not draft a skill player with first pick or they will be repeating past mistakes. Can pick up WRs later in draft. Free Press writer saying Lions must not draft OL with first pick. If they do not go WR with first pick there aren't any IMO defensive players worth # 7 so they would need to draft one of the OL.

Again the very best scenario is a trade down to get more picks and the option of going with one of the LBs or CBs or OL as they see fit. I have my fingers, toes and nuts crossed for a trade down.

Such difference in opinions. Dan Orlovsky saying Lions must not draft a skill player with first pick or they will be repeating past mistakes. Can pick up WRs later in draft. Free Press writer saying Lions must not draft OL with first pick. If they do not go WR with first pick there aren't any IMO defensive players worth # 7 so they would need to draft one of the OL.

Again the very best scenario is a trade down to get more picks and the option of going with one of the LBs or CBs or OL as they see fit. I have my fingers, toes and nuts crossed for a trade down.
Good chance that Sewell lasts until pick 7. I see 4 to 6 as Pitts, Chase, Smith, or a tradeup for a QB from Denver. CINN and MIA would be best served by picking a potential generational talent at OT,  but I think CINN goes OT later, and MIA goes IOL later, trusting their 2nd year tackles to improve.

Why is the Freep saying not to draft an OL? Of course the optimal choice is trading down. Outside of that I don't see the logic in taking a skill position player over a foundational offensive lineman. 

Why is the Freep saying not to draft an OL? Of course the optimal choice is trading down. Outside of that I don't see the logic in taking a skill position player over a foundational offensive lineman. 
The theory would be that the O-Line is already good, and could potentially be shored up on the right side in rounds 2 or 3.  Where as the pass catchers on this team are unproven to mediocre and if you can get a guy like Chase who could be the next Calvin Johnson you go for that.  If somehow Sewell and Chase are there at 7 that's going to be a hell of a choice.

The theory would be that the O-Line is already good, and could potentially be shored up on the right side in rounds 2 or 3.  Where as the pass catchers on this team are unproven to mediocre and if you can get a guy like Chase who could be the next Calvin Johnson you go for that.  If somehow Sewell and Chase are there at 7 that's going to be a hell of a choice.
Very little chance that Chase is there unless Miami trades down to a QB needy team like the Broncos.

Thanks for the rationale. To that I would say you could also get great WR prospects in rounds 2 or 3. OL and WR seem to be two of the deeper positions.

I guess the question is, where is the bigger talent gap? Is it Chase compared to 2nd round receivers or Sewell compared to 2 round o-line? I wouldn't hate getting Chase, but if I had to pick between WR or OL for this team I see OL as being far more important. I know it's one of our few "strengths" but having an elite offensive line has far greater ripple effect than a standout WR. 

Chase is the only WR I'd consider at 7.  I'm a big DeVonte Smith fan but 7 is too high for him.  If both of them are available there I'm probably taking Sewell but it's a razor thin margin imo.  Sewell vs. any other pass catcher is an easier decision.

I could see Miami going with one of the Alabama receivers for the instant rapport with Tua, but agree it is more likely they go Chase.
Except besides our expansion draft WR room, we also have the worst LB corps in the entire league, very little talent in the defensive backfield, and two DTs signed for 2022. Trade back makes the most sense, need the extra picks to construct the roster.

But I would be cool with Sewell or Slater. Can't see taking a WR at #7 when we can easily pick up a WR2 and WR3 in later rounds. Why would anyone care if we have a stud WR or (weirdly) a second stud TE this year? We're losing double digit games more likely than not, so focus on foundational pieces.

I would be less thrilled with Fields or Lance but the rationale makes sense. Someone like Trey (If he's still there) would probably benefit from sitting a year or two. 

Except besides our expansion draft WR room, we also have the worst LB corps in the entire league, very little talent in the defensive backfield, and two DTs signed for 2022. Trade back makes the most sense, need the extra picks to construct the roster.

But I would be cool with Sewell or Slater. Can't see taking a WR at #7 when we can easily pick up a WR2 and WR3 in later rounds. Why would anyone care if we have a stud WR or (weirdly) a second stud TE this year? We're losing double digit games more likely than not, so focus on foundational pieces.

I would be less thrilled with Fields or Lance but the rationale makes sense. Someone like Trey (If he's still there) would probably benefit from sitting a year or two. 
I feel like the best way to win is when you have a young QB on a rookie deal so sitting a young QB for a couple of years is a luxury that only good teams can afford.

With such little talent on defense and at WR I hope for a trade back too. But if Holmes/consensus is that Fields or Lance is a difference making QB then I would have to reluctantly support the choice. Also if they cant trade back, the QB choice is even better. But I keep thinking that they fully want to support Goff and Holmes is a big supporter since Rams chose Goff #1 that they will wait to see on QB.

Odds are they will be drafting as high or higher next year and may be able to trade back then if they already have their QB. Though I want to believe that a new coaching staff and approach coupled with wiser drafting and FA signing could result in better results than many might expect. Some of that hope is dependent on Goff being at least average QB.

I feel like the best way to win is when you have a young QB on a rookie deal so sitting a young QB for a couple of years is a luxury that only good teams can afford.
It is a blueprint. It is not the way, the truth, and the life everlasting.

Since we went to the rookie wage scale in 2011, it's been a popular way to get to a Super Bowl. 

In the last 9 years, 7 losing SB teams had a quarterback on a rookie contract. The lone winner In that span was Mahomes and the Chiefs in 2019-20.

It's a simple thing to restructure big QB contracts to free up cap space. Just this offseason: $19M for the Bucs, $17M for the Chiefs, $15M for the Lions, all from converting annual roster bonuses into a signing bonus (& thus spreadable over the life of the contract instead of the one time hit.) 

Having a QB on a rookie contract is nice if that's your situation but it's not really a decision driver.

Personally I think they are committed to Goff for the next two years. We might draft a QB next year (when we'll likely have an even higher draft pick) but I don't see them taking Fields/Jones/Lance in two days. But who knows.

Jeremy Fowler reported Lions had interest in trade up to #4 to pick Chase. But cost was too high.

Wasn't expecting that.

Jeremy Fowler reported Lions had interest in trade up to #4 to pick Chase. But cost was too high.

Wasn't expecting that.
Hoping it's a smokescreen. Lets them gauge the cost of #4 and drives up the perceived value of Chase. Whether Holmes really wanted to do this or not, I'm glad it didn't happen and like the fact that it gives other teams something to chew on. 

Hoping it's a smokescreen. Lets them gauge the cost of #4 and drives up the perceived value of Chase. Whether Holmes really wanted to do this or not, I'm glad it didn't happen and like the fact that it gives other teams something to chew on. 
Odd one this late. I suppose they might be prompting another team who wants that pick for a QB to trade up to 4, thus insuring every non QB to drop back a spot. 

As usual the local media being led around by the nose by some random rumor. Barked out by someone who sounds like a new yawk cabbie from hell.

Todd McShay's final mock:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

2. New York Jets: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

3. San Francisco 49ers: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

4. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

5. Cincinnati Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

6. Miami Dolphins: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

7. Detroit Lions: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

8. Carolina Panthers: Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern

9. Denver Broncos: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

10. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

This is the absolute best time of the year when you're a Lions fan.  The excitement of a high draft pick that could change the fortunes of the franchise could be selected tonight!  And they haven't had a chance to #$%! things up by drafting the wrong guy yet.

Have huge hopes for today probably much more than I should have. Looking for Lions to build from the Stafford trade and demonstrate that they can be a competent organization able to make smart moves and good draft choices.

Hoping for a trade down that provides multiple high draft picks and the opportunity to further maneuver

Fans deserve so much more than what we have gotten.

From twitter - Dan Campbell said some of the technology in the Lions' draft room was "from the stone age," and Brad Holmes has overhauled everything.

--

I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.
Bob Quinn is going to miss his favorite fax machine.

Users who are viewing this thread