What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (19 Viewers)

offensive line is by far strength of roster:

LT Taylor Decker
LG Jonah Jackson  
C Frank Ragnow  
RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai   
RT Penei Sewell  
Swing: Tyrell Crosby

The foundation of their rebuild.

I haven’t felt this good about a first round pick since 2010 (Suh.)

how did it take us three years to get rid of the jerk?

The Lions set up a cornhole game in the hallway outside the war room to help alleviate stress. The game was actually purchased by team president Rod Wood, which is a sharp departure from the previous regime, when Matt Patricia ordered the players’ cornhole set to be removed from the facility.

“Dan has been talking about his cornhole skills from Day 1,” Holmes said.

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual the Lions didnt get much media focus but I saw the war room going nuts. I knew it was Sewell when I saw that. I dont think they thought he would be there. I wonder if they made that inquiry about Chase to make it seem like he was coveted and tilt Cincy in that direction. 
I imagine all the teams are lying to each other for weeks before the draft. I don’t think the 49ers ever had any intention of taking Jones.

I am so happy with this choice. This guy is the Jamarr Chase of OTs. Won the Outland Trophy at 19, was starting for Oregon at 17. The convergence of size, athleticism, football smarts and attitude is ideal. The Lions should be able to do some pretty fun things with the OL now that they have Ragnow and Sewell. Screen game to Swift and Hock should be a staple of the offense. I would love to see them add a WR that they can use in the slot to generate big plays. There were 4 truly special prospects in this draft. Lawrence, Penei, Pitts and Chase. Detroit got 1 at 7. Can't complain about that. 

Next pick I basically have 3 guys I am looking at. 

WR Elijah Moore: we are in terrible shape at WR so getting a reliable slot option for Goff would be huge. He loved Kupp in LA so getting an even more explosive slot option would be great. 

S Trevon Moehrig: didn't test so can't say much about his athleticism but he's got plus length and is a ball hawk with 6 picks in his last 22 games. He can be the kind of player who truly makes a difference on the back end of a defense. 

DT Christian Barmore: big DT who seems like just a 2 down run stopper but he also had 8 sacks last year. He has good athletic measurables so maybe he is more than just a standard 2 down middle stuffer, looks like he create interior pressure in his highlights.

According to Detroit Free Press...

Grade: D

Why: Remember grades are for the pick, not the player. Sewell is a fine player won the Outland Trophy in 2019. But there’s a reason Cincinnati, which has a worse offensive line that gave up more sacks last year than the Lions, passed on him. The top 10 should be reserved for elite playmakers. The Lions get a D because they either should have traded down or selected Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields.

Why: Remember grades are for the pick, not the player. Sewell is a fine player won the Outland Trophy in 2019. But there’s a reason Cincinnati, which has a worse offensive line that gave up more sacks last year than the Lions, passed on him. The top 10 should be reserved for elite playmakers. The Lions get a D because they either should have traded down or selected Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields.
Hmmmm.... weird take.

I'm going to guess this was written by Carlos Monarrez.  The guy is a joke, a walking hot take who tries and fails miserably to be the next Drew Sharp.

No wonder the front office and coaches were so fired up in the draft room. What a pick - can’t believe Sewell slid that far. Great way to start the roster build.

Build from the inside out - best strategy when building a roster. Interested to see next pick.

No thanks. I'll take the monster OT over a 165 lb WR everyday. Fields I could see.

No thanks. I'll take the monster OT over a 165 lb WR everyday. Fields I could see.
The reason to regret Fields was the Bears ended up with him.  The idea that giving your QB more time, preventing sacks, and making gaping holes for Swift to break big runs for, is not play-making is bizarre.  Sewell was a no-brainer pick for the Lions as he has HOF potential.  

Seems...dumb. 

According to Carlos Monarrez...

Fixed that for ya, Jon.

He’s a tool, everyone here familiar with the Lions beat writers knows that. 21 years of churning out negative garage.

Typo in the 2nd sentence, poor critical thinking, lack of subject knowledge. That was a D article; do better Carlos.

(for non-Detroiters - this is the ##### who was told by the biggest d-bag ever to show some respect for the process & sit up straight. every single article he writes is a “hot take.” his sole purpose is to generate clicks & I’ve yet to hear him offer up an original thought.)

I think in this stage of rebuild Lions need to stay with BPA - they have so many holes reaching for need would be foolish. 

Lots of impact players available for their next pick.

Fixed that for ya, Jon.

He’s a tool, everyone here familiar with the Lions beat writers knows that. 21 years of churning out negative garage.

Typo in the 2nd sentence, poor critical thinking, lack of subject knowledge. That was a D article; do better Carlos.

(for non-Detroiters - this is the ##### who was told by the biggest d-bag ever to show some respect for the process & sit up straight. every single article he writes is a “hot take.” his sole purpose is to generate clicks & I’ve yet to hear him offer up an original thought.)
just watch the first 60 seconds

This was the attempted Freep zoom after the Stafford trade. Carlos hadn't joined yet and listen to what his own colleagues had to say about his absence.

:lmao:

Anyway, this WR class is so deep I'm cool with them addressing LB or S at #41. Lot of good players at both positions who won't be there #72. Defense with both picks tonight would not be the worst strategy.

They could potentially take a Dyami Brown/Nico Collins at #101 and double down with a Tutu Atwell at #112 or get lucky af and find Jaelon Darden at #153 (he's ranked in the 130s so unlikely but you never know.)

I really don't care if we don't spend draft capital on WR today bc they need foundational pieces. Four (or more) picks to go, but man they are slaying this offseason rn.

Oh, and the guy looking for a friend has been identified as John Dorsey. One of many quality hires SFH & Co have brought in over the last few months.

I think in this stage of rebuild Lions need to stay with BPA - they have so many holes reaching for need would be foolish. 

Lots of impact players available for their next pick.
:goodposting:

2021 needs don't matter, especially on this roster. This draft is about building the starting point for the future core. If there's a player available this team sees in that mold then regardless of position they're the guy.

There is some truth here, I mean Cincinnati is a model fran...  Wait what?

No wonder the front office and coaches were so fired up in the draft room. What a pick - can’t believe Sewell slid that far. Great way to start the roster build.

Build from the inside out - best strategy when building a roster. Interested to see next pick.
In any other non QB heavy draft Sewell would have been a top 3 pick.

I would not have been unhappy with Fields though.

• DT - Christian Barmore (Alabama) will be one of the first picks off the Day Two board, not an option. Levi Onwuzurike (Was) is right in their wheelhouse, but if they defer there are plenty of options at #72
  • EDGE - Ojulari (Georgia) and Ossai (Texas) are likely gone in the first 8. Not really the top priority IMO.
  • LB - JOK seems like the only LB who will go 33-40. Browning (OSU) or Cox (LSU) are impactful.
  • CB - Ifeatu Melifonwu (Syracuse) or Kelvin Joseph (Kentucky) are great picks here. Nope from me on Samuel, I think his size will limit him at the next level.
  • S - Trevon Moehrig (TCU) is likely not an option but he's the best one out there. Richie Grant (UCF) is my realistic choice here.
  • WR - Terrance Marshall (LSU) or one of the Moore's (Ole MIss & Purdue) seem like the chalk pick if they go that way. I'd prefer we wait.

• DT - wow there should be a ton of good lane cloggers here: Alim McNeill (NC State) is a squat wide body, Daviyon Nixon (Iowa) is an athletic gap shooter, Jay Tufele (USC) is very  quick & disruptive, Milton Williams (La Tech) is a smooth athletic type with upside. They might all be gone by the early 3rd but at least one might be there.
  • EDGE - I'm cool with Flowers/Okwara for now but If Basham (Wake Forrest) or Perkins (Oklahoma) make it to #72 they should be considered.
  • LB - Werner (OSU) or Bolton (Missouri) or Moses (Alabama). Would be nice to get a run n chase LB, tired of thumpers who get lost in coverage, but the smaller faster guys are going quick in this draft.
  • CB - Elijah Molden (Washington) is a S who might be a good nickel corner or Tyson Campbell (Georgia) - whom many had over Stokes - is another strong possibilities at #72.
  • S - Hamsah Nasirildeen (FSU) or Jevon Holland (Oregon). Or wait to take Jamar Johnson (Indiana) at #101?
  • WR - Dyami Brown (North Carolina), Amon Ra-St Brown USC), Amari Rodgers (Clemson), Nico Collins (Michigan), D'Wayne Eskridge (Western Mich) are all good candidates here.

I think this is easily the worst take I've seen anywhere. 

Picking Sewell and passing on Fields gives Goff support to be their present QB. Goff was reported to be elite when having a clean pocket and the opposite when pressured.

• DT - Christian Barmore (Alabama) will be one of the first picks off the Day Two board, not an option. Levi Onwuzurike (Was) is right in their wheelhouse, but if they defer there are plenty of options at #72
  • EDGE - Ojulari (Georgia) and Ossai (Texas) are likely gone in the first 8. Not really the top priority IMO.
  • LB - JOK seems like the only LB who will go 33-40. Browning (OSU) or Cox (LSU) are impactful.
  • CB - Ifeatu Melifonwu (Syracuse) or Kelvin Joseph (Kentucky) are great picks here. Nope from me on Samuel, I think his size will limit him at the next level.
  • S - Trevon Moehrig (TCU) is likely not an option but he's the best one out there. Richie Grant (UCF) is my realistic choice here.
  • WR - Terrance Marshall (LSU) or one of the Moore's (Ole MIss & Purdue) seem like the chalk pick if they go that way. I'd prefer we wait.

• DT - wow there should be a ton of good lane cloggers here: Alim McNeill (NC State) is a squat wide body, Daviyon Nixon (Iowa) is an athletic gap shooter, Jay Tufele (USC) is very  quick & disruptive, Milton Williams (La Tech) is a smooth athletic type with upside. They might all be gone by the early 3rd but at least one might be there.
  • EDGE - I'm cool with Flowers/Okwara for now but If Basham (Wake Forrest) or Perkins (Oklahoma) make it to #72 they should be considered.
  • LB - Werner (OSU) or Bolton (Missouri) or Moses (Alabama). Would be nice to get a run n chase LB, tired of thumpers who get lost in coverage, but the smaller faster guys are going quick in this draft.
  • CB - Elijah Molden (Washington) is a S who might be a good nickel corner or Tyson Campbell (Georgia) - whom many had over Stokes - is another strong possibilities at #72.
  • S - Hamsah Nasirildeen (FSU) or Jevon Holland (Oregon). Or wait to take Jamar Johnson (Indiana) at #101?
  • WR - Dyami Brown (North Carolina), Amon Ra-St Brown USC), Amari Rodgers (Clemson), Nico Collins (Michigan), D'Wayne Eskridge (Western Mich) are all good candidates here.
Nice list and takes into account the Lions picking ninth instead of 7th in round 2. 

some Day 2/3 mock results I ran at the PFN mock simulator:

• 41. Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse
    72.  Amon-Ra St. Brown WR USC
    101. Ar'Darius Washington S Washington
    112. Tyler Shelvin DT LSU
    153. Cade Johnson WR South Dakota State
  • 41. Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington
    72. Nick Bolton LB Missouri 
    101. Trill Williams CB Syracuse
    112. Tutu Atwell WR Louisville
    153. Austin Watkins WR UAB
  • 41. Trevon Moehrig S TCU
    72. Dyami Brown WR North Carolina
    101. Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    112. Marquez Stevenson WR Houston
    153. Jonathan Marshall DT Arkansas
I'm having a hard time NOT doubling down at WR, it's such a deep class and the roster need is genuine.

Bear fans ecstatic over picking Fields. Like a transfusion to a dying man.

Looks like it will also buy new life for their GM and coach who will likely get a few more years as a result.

Nice. I also think Barrmore would a good pick but it makes me a little hesitant when I read some questions about his motor and work ethic. As for Azeez, seems like the reports that he has a degenerative lower leg condition may be real and I don't like that. Elijah Moore is very much in play. Other than the Jets, the teams picking in front of Detroit aren't likely to take a WR. 

Nice. I also think Barrmore would a good pick but it makes me a little hesitant when I read some questions about his motor and work ethic. As for Azeez, seems like the reports that he has a degenerative lower leg condition may be real and I don't like that. Elijah Moore is very much in play. Other than the Jets, the teams picking in front of Detroit aren't likely to take a WR. 
That’s the same questions I have - as packers need a D Lineman badly and Barmore is extremely talented. Sounds like he didn’t take well to coaching and wasn’t very good with assignments. Mistakes can be hidden when you play on a team with a ton of talent like Alabama but you don’t maintain your responsibilities in the NFL and you won’t last long.

I'm going to guess this was written by Carlos Monarrez.  The guy is a joke, a walking hot take who tries and fails miserably to be the next Drew Sharp.
:goodposting:

I'd bet a lot of money if you went back through his evaluations over the last few years, you'd find him #####ing that the wasted a pick on a skill position guy instead of building the team through the lines, like the good teams do.

It is being reported the Lions talked to the Bengals to move up to the 5-spot to pick Chase.   Were the Lions just playing them trying to influence their pick of Chase over Sewell, or did the Lions really perfer Chase?  

It is being reported the Lions talked to the Bengals to move up to the 5-spot to pick Chase.   Were the Lions just playing them trying to influence their pick of Chase over Sewell, or did the Lions really perfer Chase?  
I doubt that they were ever serious about moving up. If anything, they might have been trying to figure out what Cinci was looking for in order to move back a few slots, in case they wound up negotiating with a team in the 9-12 range.

This is what I truly believe, and I don't normally believe wild conjecture. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, just put the thought in the other owners' heads that you want the guy who you actually want them to take. Whether that had anything to do with how it played out, the important thing is every thing we needed to have happen happened.

Users who are viewing this thread