What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (36 Viewers)

If they get 4 or 5 starters and some depth a DT then this is a great draft.  This team had too many holes to fill in one draft.  Our WR may be the worst in the league, but we will still have a couple serviceable guys then a great TE and some good targets out of the backfield.  

I wanted Cox last night (NTTAWWT) but happy we got the 'cuse corner instead. Should be the pick If he makes it through, but who knows. Weird draft with all the opt outs, lowered level of competition last season, no combine. Out number one pick last saw the field as a teenager.

Cox - Darden would be amazing.
Cox had some extensive shoulder surgery a year ago. Maybe what held him back.

You know thinking about it haven't read of any injury history or concussion history with Lions picks. Maybe I missed it. But if true I like that a lot.

Cox is a 23 year old LB who has played 10 college football games. He was hurt for his Pro Day so he wasn't able to test then.I guess a few days he a workout, but it might have been too late. Not that great of a prospect IMO.

Detroit UDFA signings:

RB Dedrick Mills, Nebraska  
A 5-foot-9, 217-pound back who began his career at Georgia Tech before transferring to Nebraska for his final two seasons. Ran for 1,912 yards on 379 carries (5.0 avg) and scored 25 touchdowns. The Lions return top rusher D’Andre Swift and former second-round pick Kerryon Johnson, plus signed Jamaal Williams in free agency and selected Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson in the seventh round of the draft.

WR Jonathan Adams, Arkansas State 
At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Adams is a big target who adds some much-needed size to a receiver group that just lost Kenny Golladay. And he used that size to rack up one of the most productive seasons in the country, catching 79 passes for 1,111 yards and 12 touchdowns. All those numbers ranked in the top five nationally.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest  
Another big receiver for the Lions, at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds. They already signed plenty of speed in free agency and added some toughness with Amon-Ra St. Brown in the fourth round. Now they’re adding size after the draft in Surratt and Jonathan Adams. Surratt opted out of 2020, but caught 66 passes for 1,001 yards, 11 touchdowns and was named first-team All-ACC in his final season for the Demon Deacons.

TE Brock Wright, Notre Dame 
An excellent blocking tight end who measures 6-foot-4 and 257 pounds. Also caught seven passes for 78 yards and one touchdown in three seasons on the field for the Fighting Irish. Will compete for a job behind Pro Bowler T.J. Hockenson and Josh Hill, who signed a free-agent deal to handle the blocking duties this year.

C Drake Johnson, Kentucky  
A highly experienced center who played 2,940 offensive snaps in the Wildcats’ run-heavy offense. He’s the second former Kentucky offensive lineman to join the Lions in as many years, after Logan Stenberg was picked in the fourth round of last year’s draft. Stenberg has yet to play a snap for Detroit.

LB Tavante Beckett, Marshall  
Originally enrolled at Virginia Tech, where was arrested on a felony charge of conspiring to distribute marijuana that was later reduced to a misdemeanor. He transferred to Marshall, where racked up 211 tackles in two years and was named first-team All-Conference USA both years. At 5-foot-10 and 220 pounds, he’s a small linebacker with an unclear role.

CB AJ Parker, Kansas State  
An experienced corner who started 33 games and played in 40 overall. The 5-foot-9 Parker picked off six passes, defended 24 overall, scored one defensive touchdown and was named honorable-mention All-Big 12 in 2019. He’s expected to compete at slot cornerback, where the Lions are replacing Justin Coleman.

S D'Angelo Amos, Virginia
A former FCS All-American at James Madison who transferred to Virginia last season, appeared in all 10 games and made 10 starts. He made 47 tackles, including three for loss, and had two interceptions. At James Madison, he averaged 12.9 yards on 33 punt returns and scored one touchdown. His best chance at sticking to the Lions’ roster might be on special teams, whereAll-Pro return man Jamal Agnew is out.

BobbyLayne said:
Amon-Ra

His dad’s name was Brown. He sainted himself. #truestory

Welp let’s get to work on those UDFA signings. Should be an easy pitch. “Pretty good chance you’ll be on the 53-man bc we ain’t got jack here.”
Amon-Ra can ball and plays big. Such a deep WR group this year for him to fall into the 4th round. One of the steals of the draft IMO. His dad was two-time Mr. Universe. His brother plays for the Pack. I really like this pick for the Lions. 

Lions guaranteed $100K to Javon McKinley (WR, Norte Dame) which is big money for a UDFA. McKinley was a hot-shot recruit coming out of Centennial High School in Corona, Calif., and considered one of the marquee players of Notre Dame’s 2016 class. He was actually ranked 58 spots higher than classmate Chase Claypool, who just had a great rookie season in Pittsburgh. But McKinley’s career went the other way, derailed by injuries. 

He broke his fibula as a true freshman, then redshirted the following year as he tried to get healthy. He returned in 2018, but did not play that year because of more injuries. He finally saw the field in 2019, but caught just 11 passes before going down with another injury.

At last, McKinley finally was able to stay on the field last season and led Notre Dame with 42 catches for 717 yards and three touchdowns. He was named All-ACC honorable mention for the effort. 6’2”, 215

other UDFA signings:

Rakeem Boyd, RB, Arkansas: Began his career at Independence Community College before transferring to Arkansas, where he ran the ball 389 times for 2,263 yards and 13 touchdowns. He forced 54 missed tackles and averaged 3.15 yards after contact. He has a tough path to the roster in Detroit, where the Lions return top rusher D’Andre Swift and former second-round pick Kerryon Johnson, plus signed Jamaal Williams in free agency and selected Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson in the seventh round of the draft. They also added another running back in undrafted free agency, Nebraska’s Dedrick Mills.

Tommy Kraemer, G, Notre Dame: A five-star recruit and Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Ohio. Chose to attend Notre Dame over Ohio State, where he opened his career at right tackle before moving inside to guard. He didn’t live up to the recruiting hype, but did earn All-ACC honors as a senior.

Jerry Jacobs, CB, Arkansas: Started his career at Hutchinson Community College before transferring to Arkansas State, where he looked like he might have NFL traits. But his stock has cooled after missing most of 2019 with an ACL injury, then transferring to Arkansas for 2020 and opting out after just four games. He later said he regretted the decision.

12 post draft UDFAs is more than usual (generally it’s like 4-6) and confirms just how bad the roster is right how.

Jefferson is a stud.
My favorite bullet point from his draft profile:

”Gets his pound of flesh from the tackler.”

His 2.28 RAS probably knocked him down on some boards; went from a projected 3rd rounder to expected mid-Day 3 in the predator run-up, but def a surprise he fell to the very bottom.

Nice write up on his strengths and weaknesses, included highlights of his 82 yard TD on his first carry against Oregon and pancaking an LB in pass pro. Not particularly shifty and needs a runway to get up to full speed, but there’s a lot to like here. Was the best freshman RB in the nation two years ago but due to injuries and Covid only saw 12 starts thereafter.

My favorite bullet point from his draft profile:

”Gets his pound of flesh from the tackler.”

His 2.28 RAS probably knocked him down on some boards; went from a projected 3rd rounder to expected mid-Day 3 in the predator run-up, but def a surprise he fell to the very bottom.

Nice write up on his strengths and weaknesses, included highlights of his 82 yard TD on his first carry against Oregon and pancaking an LB in pass pro. Not particularly shifty and needs a runway to get up to full speed, but there’s a lot to like here. Was the best freshman RB in the nation two years ago but due to injuries and Covid only saw 12 starts thereafter.
From what I've heard, the injurie seemed to have zapped some of his burst and athleticism. He may never again be the player he was freshman year.

Missed one UDFA signing - TE Jake Hausmann, Ohio State (Buckeyes 3rd stringer.)

AJ Parker got the second highest bonus allocated to him, $35,000 guaranteed. Usually a good indicator a guy is gonna get a fair shot at making the 53-man.

I think he beats out kerryon as the third RB.  
7th round contracts > 2 round contracts. Cap hit would obviously be more to the lions favor.
Wizzanator always grades out very high in pass pro. He earned an 84.8 PFF pass block grade in 2020, placing him fourth among all NFL running backs. Staley said a month ago during his introductory press conference that pass protection is key to the running back position. He called KJ “a complete back.”

UDFA details are usually hard to come by, but the UDFA bonus pool this year was $160K. Interesting nearly 85% went to the top two guys.

Guaranteed money for UDFAs has no distinct restrictions other than the overall hard cap. Some teams use this loophole to attract in demand UDFAs. Cleveland only gave DT Marvin Wilson a $30K bonus - he almost surely had higher offers - but guaranteed $162K salary. That’s roughly equivalent to 18 weeks of PS salary.

Nobody has pushed back on the practice but some teams spend up to $800K-$1M on guarantees for UDFAs while keeping the letter of the law $160K for signing money.

Of course this stuff is all small potatoes compared to being on the 53-man. Practice Squad goes up from $8400 to $9200, rookie minimum from $610K to $660K - almost quadruples the weekly game check when you move up.

Last edited by a moderator:
News reports that Lions were trying to trade up not for Chase but for Sewell. 

Holmes reported after day 2 that he also wanted to trade up to get Levi. The team consensus theme Lions have been promoting worked as they recommended that Holmes be patient about Levi.

Lions got lucky with both Sewell and Levi dropping to them. 

Holmes has had experience with scouting players but being the guy with final say as to trades and picks is new to him. 

It was refreshing to see the joy in the Lions room after the Sewell pick. I'm satisified with the first draft. The LIons had a plan and drafted guys who met it. 

Stolen from Hot Sauce Guy's thread and A99's post:

here’s how PFF graded the teams. 
A+: CHI, CLE, LAC, NEP
A: NYJ, TEN
A-: DEN, DET, WAS
B+: BAL, JAC, KCC, MIA, MIN, NYG
B: ATL, BUF, CIN, DAL, SFO
B-: ARI, CAR, PHI, TBB
C+: IND
C : LAR, LVR, NOS, PIT, SEA
C-: GB, HOU

I was most interested in how the lions graded out vs. the rams,  seeing as the lions GM used to work there.

Sewell at Press Conference:  "Coach Campbell told me to work on my pass routes so when we can incorporate more tackle-eligible plays to stretch the field more and take advantage of those linebacker mismatches.   The plan is to turn me into that elite playmaker the Lions so desperately need."
McNeill scored 40 TDs in h.s., 18 his senior year when he was a 275 pound RB. Now 320.

100% chance we’ll see a fat guy TD this fall.

:lol:

I have a feeling DC is gonna have fun. If you’re gonna lose 11-14 games, at least make it entertaining.

McNeill scored 40 TDs in h.s., 18 his senior year when he was a 275 pound RB. Now 320.

100% chance we’ll see a fat guy TD this fall.

:lol:

I have a feeling DC is gonna have fun. If you’re gonna lose 11-14 games, at least make it entertaining.
I was being factious and it did not really say that.  But it would have been a good shot at the truly ignorant FreePress draft rating.

I was being factious and it did not really say that.  But it would have been a good shot at the truly ignorant FreePress draft rating.
Sewell comes from a great family, dad is a HC. Really high quality kid (can’t even buy a beer for 5-1/2 more months.) He’s pumped about being in the D. An O lineman is never going to be face of the franchise guys, but just an all around great first pick for the new leadership.

Sewell at Press Conference:  "Coach Campbell told me to work on my pass routes so when we can incorporate more tackle-eligible plays to stretch the field more and take advantage of those linebacker mismatches.   The plan is to turn me into that elite playmaker the Lions so desperately need."
Got a stud at OT. He was my favorite OT in this draft. 

I understand. But despite sarcasm. I think he will develop into a hot type. He’s got unusual mobility and power. 
Ya, that was all I meant by #HotTake.

Like saying to Jags fans "You guys got a great player in Lawrence.  He was actually my favourite QB in this draft"  :P  

All in fun, was just kidding.

But yes, Sewell is gonna be a stud.

From what I've heard, the injurie seemed to have zapped some of his burst and athleticism. He may never again be the player he was freshman year.
I dunno.  His Junior year his numbers were much better than his Freshman year (remember, his jr year was short due to Covid.  His YPC and Yards per reception both went up.  If you double his Junior numbers, they're way higher than his freshman numbers.

He looked good in his Jr. year IMO.  His ability to break free and take one to the house on almost any play was huge.  I agree the odds of that in the NFL are much much lower, but I think he is undervalued based on where he was drafted.

I dunno.  His Junior year his numbers were much better than his Freshman year (remember, his jr year was short due to Covid.  His YPC and Yards per reception both went up.  If you double his Junior numbers, they're way higher than his freshman numbers.

He looked good in his Jr. year IMO.  His ability to break free and take one to the house on almost any play was huge.  I agree the odds of that in the NFL are much much lower, but I think he is undervalued based on where he was drafted.
I am skeptical of the skepticism.  People made way too much over one 40 time, which really wasn't that bad even.  The Lions got a lot real football players who are going to bring that knee-biting attitude.  I thought it was a pretty awesome draft overall.  They drafted a bunch of guys who are going to be making impacts their first year.  

In the Miami draft thread, we're pondering whatif Miami had drafted Sewell. What type of WR(s) would have been available later. Turns out, at 2.18 (Marshall) and 3.18 (Dyami Brown). Maybe draft both, and forget the TE  Long drafted at 3.18. Hindsight. But we gave up a 3rd in 2022 to move up in the 2nd to get Eichenberg. There was a run on OTs in the 2nd, Jenkins 3 picks before Miami's trade up at 2.10, and 4 of the next 11 picks, hence the trade up was justified given what happened. 

Who would the Lions have taken if Miami had drafted Sewell?

WR Jonathan Adams, Arkansas State 
At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Adams is a big target who adds some much-needed size to a receiver group that just lost Kenny Golladay. And he used that size to rack up one of the most productive seasons in the country, catching 79 passes for 1,111 yards and 12 touchdowns. All those numbers ranked in the top five nationally.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest  
Another big receiver for the Lions, at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds. They already signed plenty of speed in free agency and added some toughness with Amon-Ra St. Brown in the fourth round. Now they’re adding size after the draft in Surratt and Jonathan Adams. Surratt opted out of 2020, but caught 66 passes for 1,001 yards, 11 touchdowns and was named first-team All-ACC in his final season for the Demon Deacons.
I think Jonathan Adams is better than many drafted WRs.  Plays faster than his time, great agility numbers, I think he makes the team.  

If you have an HDTV, you can actually see the moss growing on the north side of Surratt's ankles.  

Man, I was hoping they were taking Terrace in the 2nd round.  

In the Miami draft thread, we're pondering whatif Miami had drafted Sewell. What type of WR(s) would have been available later. Turns out, at 2.18 (Marshall) and 3.18 (Dyami Brown). Maybe draft both, and forget the TE  Long drafted at 3.18. Hindsight. But we gave up a 3rd in 2022 to move up in the 2nd to get Eichenberg. There was a run on OTs in the 2nd, Jenkins 3 picks before Miami's trade up at 2.10, and 4 of the next 11 picks, hence the trade up was justified given what happened. 

They would have tried to trade the pick , but probably taken DeVonte Smith but Waddle or Parsons would have been a possibilities too.  The Lions would have taken Sewell at no. 2..  I think they were shocked Cincy and Miami passed on Sewell.

In his post first round presser Holmes said they had their eye on three specific players for the first pick, and two of them went early. They actually were making offers to move up to Penei. They tried asking him a couple different ways and he just said "I'm not gonna say the positions we identified or who we talked to" and went on to say how much they loved Sewell.

Just speculating here, but we know both the GM and the HC went to see the Pro Days of Trey Lance and Kyle Pitts. Now there's an element to due diligence in the draft and they had personnel at every top ten guys pro day but I think Lance fit their profile and timeline. Goff restructured and they're more or less committed to a two year tryout, and both executives are on six year contracts. I think they would love to be developing a raw QB in the background while evaluating how good Goff is capable of being. They had zero reason to believe Lawrence and Wilson were going to drop, and Fields was still there - I'm pretty sure he was one of the two. The other pick might have been Chase or Waddle, but the mentality they had the entire draft was take the BPA and #### what the team needs are atm. They took a highly rated CB when clearly LB and WR were much higher needs.

Personally I think their other thought was Pitts. Once those two were gone after the 4th pick, then they tried to move up but were unsuccessful. The guy they wanted fell to them so it was a relatively easy decision for them.

Now nobody needs any reassurance that the Lions had a good draft, they're being universally praised for having a top ten/top 8 draft. But I found the reactions to their picks at Bootleg Football to be interesting. Brett Kollmann (YouTube's The Film Room) and E.J. Snyder (Senior Draft Analyst Windy City Gridiron) teamed up to start a Podcast, both are purely film junkies.

They don't consider analytics or production at all in evaluating talent, it's purely grinding away at watching 2-10 games of film for 400 prospects and confirming what they see with the raw measurables. That's a particular methodology and it's not always 100% correct, I've been steered wrong in FF by listening to film breakdown guys a bit too much. Overall the genre is more successful but they def have their share of whiffs, just like any method it's not foolproof.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in seeing this.

1. #7 Penei Sewell some debate here bc they view DeVonta as the next coming of Marvin Harrison but Campbell wants kneecap biters. This guy is liquid quick, moves like a 280 pound TE, super young. Jared Goff will never be able to complain about not having enough time. Left to right: Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson - excellent rookie last year - Frank Ragnow, probably Stenberg, Big V or Crosby backing up, Sewell....man! (they've both in love with Logan Stenberg) Lions draft room going wild, it's gotta be Sewell.
  2. #41 Levi Onwuzurik "Dan Campbell getting his guys" then breaks down how they're going to use the lineman they have rn.
  3. #72 Alim McNeill "Ooooh. There are two guys at defensive tackle who are penetrators and they just got both of them." Long discussion what scheme they are attempting to build.
  4. #101 Ifeatu Melifonwu they had been mentioning him frequently in the run-up and were very surprised he fell. "About damn time. That's just value. Think about their secondary. They're four deep. Legit four corners deep. Now you've got penetrating tackles and four corners who can cover. They got a lot of dudes."
  5. #112 Amon-Ra St Brown Unrelentingly competitive, will fight you for the ball, great pick.
  6. #113 Derrick Barnes I don't want to spoil it for you. This is the best one. "Lions showing some real savvy in this draft. As a Bears fan, I'm having problems with this pick. We got used to Matt Patricia doing whatever it was he was doing bc it wasn't gonna work. Dan Campbell - different." If (like me) you think it was a mistake taking Barnes over Jabril Cox, listen to their breakdown.
  7. #257 Jermar Jefferson starts off talking about Mr Irrelevant, whom of course they love (5'11" LB with great instincts but just not an NFL athlete), then back up and talk about the last four picks, two of who are terrific RBs going to NFC North teams.
Listen, film guys are not always right. But according to two whom I respect a lot - when they're guests on other pods I make sure to not miss it - they absolutely crushed every single pick. 100%.

Now nobody needs any reassurance that the Lions had a good draft, they're being universally praised for having a top ten/top 8 draft. But I found the reactions to their picks at Bootleg Football to be interesting. Brett Kollmann (YouTube's The Film Room) and E.J. Snyder (Senior Draft Analyst Windy City Gridiron) teamed up to start a Podcast, both are purely film junkies.

They don't consider analytics or production at all in evaluating talent, it's purely grinding away at watching 2-10 games of film for 400 prospects and confirming what they see with the raw measurables. That's a particular methodology and it's not always 100% correct, I've been steered wrong in FF by listening to film breakdown guys a bit too much. Overall the genre is more successful but they def have their share of whiffs, just like any method it's not foolproof.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in seeing this.

1. #7 Penei Sewell some debate here bc they view DeVonta as the next coming of Marvin Harrison but Campbell wants kneecap biters. This guy is liquid quick, moves like a 280 pound TE, super young. Jared Goff will never be able to complain about not having enough time. Left to right: Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson - excellent rookie last year - Frank Ragnow, probably Stenberg, Big V or Crosby backing up, Sewell....man! (they've both in love with Logan Stenberg) Lions draft room going wild, it's gotta be Sewell.
  2. #41 Levi Onwuzurik "Dan Campbell getting his guys" then breaks down how they're going to use the lineman they have rn.
  3. #72 Alim McNeill "Ooooh. There are two guys at defensive tackle who are penetrators and they just got both of them." Long discussion what scheme they are attempting to build.
  4. #101 Ifeatu Melifonwu they had been mentioning him frequently in the run-up and were very surprised he fell. "About damn time. That's just value. Think about their secondary. They're four deep. Legit four corners deep. Now you've got penetrating tackles and four corners who can cover. They got a lot of dudes."
  5. #112 Amon-Ra St Brown Unrelentingly competitive, will fight you for the ball, great pick.
  6. #113 Derrick Barnes I don't want to spoil it for you. This is the best one. "Lions showing some real savvy in this draft. As a Bears fan, I'm having problems with this pick. We got used to Matt Patricia doing whatever it was he was doing bc it wasn't gonna work. Dan Campbell - different." If (like me) you think it was a mistake taking Barnes over Jabril Cox, listen to their breakdown.
  7. #257 Jermar Jefferson starts off talking about Mr Irrelevant, whom of course they love (5'11" LB with great instincts but just not an NFL athlete), then back up and talk about the last four picks, two of who are terrific RBs going to NFC North teams.
Listen, film guys are not always right. But according to two whom I respect a lot - when they're guests on other pods I make sure to not miss it - they absolutely crushed every single pick. 100%.
A lot of things can happen, but the only guy that may be on the fence about making the final roster is Jermar, but I think he does.  And none of these are special teams guys.  I can see 3 or 4 guys starting day 1 and the others all getting a decent number of snaps per game.  That is an awesome haul, probably the Lions best overall draft they ever had.  No Barry or Calvin, but there are a lot of nice pieces which substantially sped up the rebuilding process.

What is the Lions best draft class?  I would think 1992 was the strongest most productive class.

1. Robert Porcher

2. Tracy Scroggins

3. Jason Hanson

6. Larry Tharpe

8. Willie Clay

Getting 5 guys that gave you numerous productive years as starters is a really great draft.

or 1980 was pretty good:

1. Billy Simms....One of the greatest backs of all-time, who is grossly underrated due to a shortened career.  

4. Eric Hipple....Had some stretches where he looked like a good QB.  For the Lions, one of the better QB's.  Did throw for over 10,000 yards and 55 TDs, but 70 INTs is pretty bad.

6. Chris Dieterich....Gave the Lions 7 season as an OT, two of them as a starter.

7.  Eddie Murray....Great kicker.  Gave the Lions 12 seasons of having a rock solid FG kicker.

1978....Luther Bradley, Al 'Bubba' Baker, Homer Elias, Amos Fowler, 

Really, 1992 seems like the clear cut winner.  Too early to absolutely tell, but 2021 should be at least the Lions 2nd best draft class of all-time.

1992 is a good pick @jon_mx

1st. Matthew Stafford: QB (1) - all-time passing leader, 1 Pro Bowl, career AV 103
1st. Brandon Pettigrew: TE (20) - 7 year starter, 301-2965-17, career AV 22
2nd. Louis Delmas: S (33) - 6 year starter, oft injured but good when healthy, career AV 31
3rd. DeAndre Levy: LB (76) - 6 year starter, career AV 42
4th. Sammie Lee Hill: DT (115) - started 18 G over 4 years, 2.5 years as a starter with the Titans
6th. Aaron Brown: RB (192)
7th. Lydon Murtha: T (228)
7th. Dan Gronkowski: TE (255)

All 10 had NFL careers, 5 of them played 78 games or more (528 games total.)

1st. Bennie Blades: DB (3) - 9 year starter, 1 PB, career AV 54
2nd. Chris Spielman: LB (29) - 10 year starter, 4 PB, 1 AP, career AV 74
2nd. Pat Carter: TE (32) - 10 years & 154 G as a blocking TE
3rd. Ray Roundtree: WR (58)
4th. William White: DB (85) - 8 year starter, 170 G, career AV 54
5th. Eric Andolsek: G (111) - started for a couple years, career AV 21
6th. Carl Painter: RB (142)
7th. Jeff James: WR (169)
8th. Gary Hadd: DT (196)
9th. Kip Corrington: DB (223)
9th. Todd Irvin: T (234)

10 played at least half a season, 5 had significant roles as starters, 2 were stars

1st. Luther Elliss: DT (20) - 8 year starter, 2 PB, career AV 51
3rd. David Sloan: TE (70) - 6 year starter, 192-2151-15
5th. Stephen Boyd: LB (141) - 4 year starter, 2 PB, career AV 39
5th. Kez McCorvey: WR (156)
6th. Kevin Hickman: TE (186)
6th. Cory Schlesinger: FB (192) - 8 years as starting FB, 181 G, 197 receptions, almost 2000 total yards, blocking back
7th. Hessley Hempstead: G (228)

4 starters which is a lot for this franchise, and a couple were pro bowlers.

1st. Ziggy Ansah: DE (5) - 1 pro bowl, career AV 38
2nd. Darius Slay: DB (36) - 3 pro bowls, 1 All Pro, career AV 64
3rd. Larry Warford: G (65) - 7 year starter, career AV 59
4th. Devin Taylor: DE (132) - started 1 year
5th. Sam Martin: P (165) - reliable, unspectacular punter, 122 G
6th. Corey Fuller: WR (171)
6th. Theo Riddick: RB (199) - 290 career receptions, career AV 24
7th. Michael Williams: TE (211)
7th. Brandon Hepburn: LB (245)

2 pro bowlers and 6 significant contributors

1st. Robert Porcher: DE (26) - 10 year starter, 3 PBs, 95.5 career sacks, career AV 67
2nd. Tracey Scroggins: DE (53): 5 year starter, 142 G, 60.5 sacks, career AV 42
2nd. Jason Hanson: K (56): 21 years, 2 PBs, 327 games, career AV 48
3rd. Thomas McLemore: TE (81) 18 G
6th. Larry Tharpe: T (145): 9 years, 3 year starter, 76 G, career AV 22
8th. Willie Clay: DB (221): 6 year starter, 118 G, career AV 43, 27 interceptions
11th: Ed Tilison: FB (306): 6 G

1960, 1965, 1967, and 1980 rival this one, but four guys with a career AV over 42 is pretty good in the modern Lions era.

What this exercise really highlights is competence has been a rarity in Detroit.

1960, 1965, 1967, and 1980 rival this one, but four guys with a career AV over 42 is pretty good in the modern Lions era.

What this exercise really highlights is competence has been a rarity in Detroit.
From the 1970 thru 2020, it looked like the Lions averaged only one really good draft per decade and the other 9 years the Lions were only getting maybe one real player and a bunch of duds.  Between Schwartz and Millen and Quinn and Patricia, it was the most incompetent leadership in NFL history.  Detroit would have been better served using dart-throwing monkeys in setting up their draft boards and strategy.  What a huge difference Sheila has made getting Holmes and  Campbell.  Players are genuinely excited about coming to Detroit to play football for them.

From the 1970 thru 2020, it looked like the Lions averaged only one really good draft per decade and the other 9 years the Lions were only getting maybe one real player and a bunch of duds.  Between Schwartz and Millen and Quinn and Patricia, it was the most incompetent leadership in NFL history.  Detroit would have been better served using dart-throwing monkeys in setting up their draft boards and strategy.  What a huge difference Sheila has made getting Holmes and  Campbell.  Players are genuinely excited about coming to Detroit to play football for them.
Holmes wanted to trade up early 2nd but the rest of the war room team talked him out of it. That’s the great thing about the collaborative approach. Be patient, let the draft come to you.

Ended up getting the guy he had at the top of his board, Onwuzurik. May not always show up in the box score but having a 3 tech DT is gonna make the entire defense so much better. I think Hand has two QB hits in his three seasons combined; the entire DT had like 9 last year (Brockers had 10 by himself.)

Users who are viewing this thread