Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not successfully you couldn’t 

I believe this is the first win the Lions have ever had in January.

I’m usually not one to get caught up in “celebrity” lives, but as a parent my ♥️ goes out to Matthew & Kelly. Her six hour brain surgery morphed into a twelve hour procedure, but she’s walking and

5 minutes ago, Moonlight said:

An analyst I follow, Benjamin Allbright, thought Lions crushed the draft. 

Not so sure on McNeill, but their other picks seem to be pretty solid.

8 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Amon, a WR.

Amon-Ra

His dad’s name was Brown. He sainted himself. #truestory

Welp let’s get to work on those UDFA signings. Should be an easy pitch. “Pretty good chance you’ll be on the 53-man bc we ain’t got jack here.”

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3
18 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

Cox must have some sort of serious medical or other red flag for the Lions to pass on him for Barnes, right?

Makes no sense 

91.3 career coverage grade from the slot

2nd-highest of any defender in the draft

‘grats to the ‘boys

15 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I don't think they are really trying to win this year. 

Nor should they. Every game should be an audition for the players and a chance to evaluate for the coaches. I have a feeling this group will fight hard to win but they simply don't have enough talent yet. That's good, a top five pick is the best thing this franchise can achieve this year. If we get that we should be in business.

Overall I liked the draft. Building up both lines and getting a great value at corner works for me. Holmes and company seem genuinely fired up about the guys they got and with Holmes' track record that makes me hopeful.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Makes no sense 

91.3 career coverage grade from the slot

2nd-highest of any defender in the draft

‘grats to the ‘boys

Hard to find anyone who rated Barnes before Cox. Must be looking at Barnes to play inside. Cox strength is on the outside.

Edited by Moonlight

If they get 4 or 5 starters and some depth a DT then this is a great draft.  This team had too many holes to fill in one draft.  Our WR may be the worst in the league, but we will still have a couple serviceable guys then a great TE and some good targets out of the backfield.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I wanted Cox last night (NTTAWWT) but happy we got the 'cuse corner instead. Should be the pick If he makes it through, but who knows. Weird draft with all the opt outs, lowered level of competition last season, no combine. Out number one pick last saw the field as a teenager.

Cox - Darden would be amazing.

Cox had some extensive shoulder surgery a year ago. Maybe what held him back.

You know thinking about it haven't read of any injury history or concussion history with Lions picks. Maybe I missed it. But if true I like that a lot.

• Like 1

Cox is a 23 year old LB who has played 10 college football games. He was hurt for his Pro Day so he wasn't able to test then.I guess a few days he a workout, but it might have been too late. Not that great of a prospect IMO.

12 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Let's play guess the 7th rounder. Actual player is just too hard, so how about just his position?

I'll go first: OLB.

S:  Paris Ford

• Like 1

I like the Sage Surratt UDFA signing.  Wish they would've drafted Wallace and Cox instead of St. Brown and Barnes, but was still very happy overall.

• Like 2

Brad Holmes, joking: "After we drafted St. Brown, it felt like people would finally get off my ### about getting a receiver."    

:lol:

Whatever he ends up being, it’s refreshing after 5 years of non-answers from Bob Quinn.

• Like 3

Detroit UDFA signings:

RB Dedrick Mills, Nebraska  
A 5-foot-9, 217-pound back who began his career at Georgia Tech before transferring to Nebraska for his final two seasons. Ran for 1,912 yards on 379 carries (5.0 avg) and scored 25 touchdowns. The Lions return top rusher D’Andre Swift and former second-round pick Kerryon Johnson, plus signed Jamaal Williams in free agency and selected Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson in the seventh round of the draft.

WR Jonathan Adams, Arkansas State 
At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Adams is a big target who adds some much-needed size to a receiver group that just lost Kenny Golladay. And he used that size to rack up one of the most productive seasons in the country, catching 79 passes for 1,111 yards and 12 touchdowns. All those numbers ranked in the top five nationally.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest  
Another big receiver for the Lions, at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds. They already signed plenty of speed in free agency and added some toughness with Amon-Ra St. Brown in the fourth round. Now they’re adding size after the draft in Surratt and Jonathan Adams. Surratt opted out of 2020, but caught 66 passes for 1,001 yards, 11 touchdowns and was named first-team All-ACC in his final season for the Demon Deacons.

TE Brock Wright, Notre Dame 
An excellent blocking tight end who measures 6-foot-4 and 257 pounds. Also caught seven passes for 78 yards and one touchdown in three seasons on the field for the Fighting Irish. Will compete for a job behind Pro Bowler T.J. Hockenson and Josh Hill, who signed a free-agent deal to handle the blocking duties this year.

C Drake Johnson, Kentucky  
A highly experienced center who played 2,940 offensive snaps in the Wildcats’ run-heavy offense. He’s the second former Kentucky offensive lineman to join the Lions in as many years, after Logan Stenberg was picked in the fourth round of last year’s draft. Stenberg has yet to play a snap for Detroit.

LB Tavante Beckett, Marshall  
Originally enrolled at Virginia Tech, where was arrested on a felony charge of conspiring to distribute marijuana that was later reduced to a misdemeanor. He transferred to Marshall, where racked up 211 tackles in two years and was named first-team All-Conference USA both years. At 5-foot-10 and 220 pounds, he’s a small linebacker with an unclear role.

CB AJ Parker, Kansas State  
An experienced corner who started 33 games and played in 40 overall. The 5-foot-9 Parker picked off six passes, defended 24 overall, scored one defensive touchdown and was named honorable-mention All-Big 12 in 2019. He’s expected to compete at slot cornerback, where the Lions are replacing Justin Coleman.

S D'Angelo Amos, Virginia
A former FCS All-American at James Madison who transferred to Virginia last season, appeared in all 10 games and made 10 starts. He made 47 tackles, including three for loss, and had two interceptions. At James Madison, he averaged 12.9 yards on 33 punt returns and scored one touchdown. His best chance at sticking to the Lions’ roster might be on special teams, whereAll-Pro return man Jamal Agnew is out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Amon-Ra

His dad’s name was Brown. He sainted himself. #truestory

Welp let’s get to work on those UDFA signings. Should be an easy pitch. “Pretty good chance you’ll be on the 53-man bc we ain’t got jack here.”

Amon-Ra can ball and plays big. Such a deep WR group this year for him to fall into the 4th round. One of the steals of the draft IMO. His dad was two-time Mr. Universe. His brother plays for the Pack. I really like this pick for the Lions. 

• Like 1

Lions guaranteed $100K to Javon McKinley (WR, Norte Dame) which is big money for a UDFA. McKinley was a hot-shot recruit coming out of Centennial High School in Corona, Calif., and considered one of the marquee players of Notre Dame’s 2016 class. He was actually ranked 58 spots higher than classmate Chase Claypool, who just had a great rookie season in Pittsburgh. But McKinley’s career went the other way, derailed by injuries. 

He broke his fibula as a true freshman, then redshirted the following year as he tried to get healthy. He returned in 2018, but did not play that year because of more injuries. He finally saw the field in 2019, but caught just 11 passes before going down with another injury.

At last, McKinley finally was able to stay on the field last season and led Notre Dame with 42 catches for 717 yards and three touchdowns. He was named All-ACC honorable mention for the effort. 6’2”, 215

other UDFA signings:

Rakeem Boyd, RB, Arkansas: Began his career at Independence Community College before transferring to Arkansas, where he ran the ball 389 times for 2,263 yards and 13 touchdowns. He forced 54 missed tackles and averaged 3.15 yards after contact. He has a tough path to the roster in Detroit, where the Lions return top rusher D’Andre Swift and former second-round pick Kerryon Johnson, plus signed Jamaal Williams in free agency and selected Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson in the seventh round of the draft. They also added another running back in undrafted free agency, Nebraska’s Dedrick Mills.

Tommy Kraemer, G, Notre Dame: A five-star recruit and Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Ohio. Chose to attend Notre Dame over Ohio State, where he opened his career at right tackle before moving inside to guard. He didn’t live up to the recruiting hype, but did earn All-ACC honors as a senior.

Jerry Jacobs, CB, Arkansas: Started his career at Hutchinson Community College before transferring to Arkansas State, where he looked like he might have NFL traits. But his stock has cooled after missing most of 2019 with an ACL injury, then transferring to Arkansas for 2020 and opting out after just four games. He later said he regretted the decision.

12 post draft UDFAs is more than usual (generally it’s like 4-6) and confirms just how bad the roster is right how.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Deamon said:

Jefferson is a stud.

To be fair to J.J., Chris Carson was also a 7th round pick.

Edited by Leroy Hoard

Jefferson is a stud.

I think he beats out kerryon as the third RB.  

I can see 5 or 6 of these picks making the opening day roster, as well as even 1 or 2 of the UFA's.   

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Deamon said:

Jefferson is a stud.

My favorite bullet point from his draft profile:

”Gets his pound of flesh from the tackler.”

His 2.28 RAS probably knocked him down on some boards; went from a projected 3rd rounder to expected mid-Day 3 in the predator run-up, but def a surprise he fell to the very bottom.

Nice write up on his strengths and weaknesses, included highlights of his 82 yard TD on his first carry against Oregon and pancaking an LB in pass pro. Not particularly shifty and needs a runway to get up to full speed, but there’s a lot to like here. Was the best freshman RB in the nation two years ago but due to injuries and Covid only saw 12 starts thereafter.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

My favorite bullet point from his draft profile:

”Gets his pound of flesh from the tackler.”

His 2.28 RAS probably knocked him down on some boards; went from a projected 3rd rounder to expected mid-Day 3 in the predator run-up, but def a surprise he fell to the very bottom.

Nice write up on his strengths and weaknesses, included highlights of his 82 yard TD on his first carry against Oregon and pancaking an LB in pass pro. Not particularly shifty and needs a runway to get up to full speed, but there’s a lot to like here. Was the best freshman RB in the nation two years ago but due to injuries and Covid only saw 12 starts thereafter.

From what I've heard, the injurie seemed to have zapped some of his burst and athleticism. He may never again be the player he was freshman year.

• Like 1

Missed one UDFA signing - TE Jake Hausmann, Ohio State (Buckeyes 3rd stringer.)

AJ Parker got the second highest bonus allocated to him, $35,000 guaranteed. Usually a good indicator a guy is gonna get a fair shot at making the 53-man.

3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

7th round contracts > 2 round contracts. Cap hit would obviously be more to the lions favor.

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:
3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

7th round contracts > 2 round contracts. Cap hit would obviously be more to the lions favor.

Wizzanator always grades out very high in pass pro. He earned an 84.8 PFF pass block grade in 2020, placing him fourth among all NFL running backs. Staley said a month ago during his introductory press conference that pass protection is key to the running back position. He called KJ “a complete back.”

Posted (edited)

UDFA details are usually hard to come by, but the UDFA bonus pool this year was $160K. Interesting nearly 85% went to the top two guys.

Guaranteed money for UDFAs has no distinct restrictions other than the overall hard cap. Some teams use this loophole to attract in demand UDFAs. Cleveland only gave DT Marvin Wilson a $30K bonus - he almost surely had higher offers - but guaranteed $162K salary. That’s roughly equivalent to 18 weeks of PS salary.

Nobody has pushed back on the practice but some teams spend up to $800K-$1M on guarantees for UDFAs while keeping the letter of the law $160K for signing money.

Of course this stuff is all small potatoes compared to being on the 53-man. Practice Squad goes up from $8400 to $9200, rookie minimum from $610K to $660K - almost quadruples the weekly game check when you move up.

Edited by BobbyLayne
typos

News reports that Lions were trying to trade up not for Chase but for Sewell. 

Holmes reported after day 2 that he also wanted to trade up to get Levi. The team consensus theme Lions have been promoting worked as they recommended that Holmes be patient about Levi.

Lions got lucky with both Sewell and Levi dropping to them. 

Holmes has had experience with scouting players but being the guy with final say as to trades and picks is new to him. 

It was refreshing to see the joy in the Lions room after the Sewell pick. I'm satisified with the first draft. The LIons had a plan and drafted guys who met it. 

• Like 4

Stolen from Hot Sauce Guy's thread and A99's post:

here’s how PFF graded the teams. 
A+: CHI, CLE, LAC, NEP
A: NYJ, TEN
A-: DEN, DET, WAS
B+: BAL, JAC, KCC, MIA, MIN, NYG
B: ATL, BUF, CIN, DAL, SFO
B-: ARI, CAR, PHI, TBB
C+: IND
C : LAR, LVR, NOS, PIT, SEA
C-: GB, HOU

I was most interested in how the lions graded out vs. the rams,  seeing as the lions GM used to work there.

Sewell at Press Conference:  "Coach Campbell told me to work on my pass routes so when we can incorporate more tackle-eligible plays to stretch the field more and take advantage of those linebacker mismatches.   The plan is to turn me into that elite playmaker the Lions so desperately need."

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Sewell at Press Conference:  "Coach Campbell told me to work on my pass routes so when we can incorporate more tackle-eligible plays to stretch the field more and take advantage of those linebacker mismatches.   The plan is to turn me into that elite playmaker the Lions so desperately need."

McNeill scored 40 TDs in h.s., 18 his senior year when he was a 275 pound RB. Now 320.

100% chance we’ll see a fat guy TD this fall.

I have a feeling DC is gonna have fun. If you’re gonna lose 11-14 games, at least make it entertaining.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

McNeill scored 40 TDs in h.s., 18 his senior year when he was a 275 pound RB. Now 320.

100% chance we’ll see a fat guy TD this fall.

I have a feeling DC is gonna have fun. If you’re gonna lose 11-14 games, at least make it entertaining.

I was being factious and it did not really say that.  But it would have been a good shot at the truly ignorant FreePress draft rating.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I was being factious and it did not really say that.  But it would have been a good shot at the truly ignorant FreePress draft rating.

Sewell comes from a great family, dad is a HC. Really high quality kid (can’t even buy a beer for 5-1/2 more months.) He’s pumped about being in the D. An O lineman is never going to be face of the franchise guys, but just an all around great first pick for the new leadership.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Got a stud at OT. He was my favorite OT in this draft. 

1 minute ago, Deamon said:

Haha, just playin.

He was 99.9% of people's favourite OT in the draft :P

I understand. But despite sarcasm. I think he will develop into a hot type. He’s got unusual mobility and power. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Blackbear said:

I understand. But despite sarcasm. I think he will develop into a hot type. He’s got unusual mobility and power. 

Ya, that was all I meant by #HotTake.

Like saying to Jags fans "You guys got a great player in Lawrence.  He was actually my favourite QB in this draft"  :P 

All in fun, was just kidding.

But yes, Sewell is gonna be a stud.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

From what I've heard, the injurie seemed to have zapped some of his burst and athleticism. He may never again be the player he was freshman year.

I dunno.  His Junior year his numbers were much better than his Freshman year (remember, his jr year was short due to Covid.  His YPC and Yards per reception both went up.  If you double his Junior numbers, they're way higher than his freshman numbers.

He looked good in his Jr. year IMO.  His ability to break free and take one to the house on almost any play was huge.  I agree the odds of that in the NFL are much much lower, but I think he is undervalued based on where he was drafted.

Edited by Deamon
  • Like 1

I dunno.  His Junior year his numbers were much better than his Freshman year (remember, his jr year was short due to Covid.  His YPC and Yards per reception both went up.  If you double his Junior numbers, they're way higher than his freshman numbers.

He looked good in his Jr. year IMO.  His ability to break free and take one to the house on almost any play was huge.  I agree the odds of that in the NFL are much much lower, but I think he is undervalued based on where he was drafted.

I am skeptical of the skepticism.  People made way too much over one 40 time, which really wasn't that bad even.  The Lions got a lot real football players who are going to bring that knee-biting attitude.  I thought it was a pretty awesome draft overall.  They drafted a bunch of guys who are going to be making impacts their first year.  

In the Miami draft thread, we're pondering whatif Miami had drafted Sewell. What type of WR(s) would have been available later. Turns out, at 2.18 (Marshall) and 3.18 (Dyami Brown). Maybe draft both, and forget the TE  Long drafted at 3.18. Hindsight. But we gave up a 3rd in 2022 to move up in the 2nd to get Eichenberg. There was a run on OTs in the 2nd, Jenkins 3 picks before Miami's trade up at 2.10, and 4 of the next 11 picks, hence the trade up was justified given what happened. 

Who would the Lions have taken if Miami had drafted Sewell?

On 5/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, BobbyLayne said:

WR Jonathan Adams, Arkansas State 
At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Adams is a big target who adds some much-needed size to a receiver group that just lost Kenny Golladay. And he used that size to rack up one of the most productive seasons in the country, catching 79 passes for 1,111 yards and 12 touchdowns. All those numbers ranked in the top five nationally.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest  
Another big receiver for the Lions, at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds. They already signed plenty of speed in free agency and added some toughness with Amon-Ra St. Brown in the fourth round. Now they’re adding size after the draft in Surratt and Jonathan Adams. Surratt opted out of 2020, but caught 66 passes for 1,001 yards, 11 touchdowns and was named first-team All-ACC in his final season for the Demon Deacons.

I think Jonathan Adams is better than many drafted WRs.  Plays faster than his time, great agility numbers, I think he makes the team.  

If you have an HDTV, you can actually see the moss growing on the north side of Surratt's ankles.  

Man, I was hoping they were taking Terrace in the 2nd round.  

• Laughing 3
11 minutes ago, massraider said:

If you have an HDTV, you can actually see the moss growing on the north side of Surratt's ankles.  

He slow. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

In the Miami draft thread, we're pondering whatif Miami had drafted Sewell. What type of WR(s) would have been available later. Turns out, at 2.18 (Marshall) and 3.18 (Dyami Brown). Maybe draft both, and forget the TE  Long drafted at 3.18. Hindsight. But we gave up a 3rd in 2022 to move up in the 2nd to get Eichenberg. There was a run on OTs in the 2nd, Jenkins 3 picks before Miami's trade up at 2.10, and 4 of the next 11 picks, hence the trade up was justified given what happened. 

Who would the Lions have taken if Miami had drafted Sewell?

They would have tried to trade the pick , but probably taken DeVonte Smith but Waddle or Parsons would have been a possibilities too.  The Lions would have taken Sewell at no. 2..  I think they were shocked Cincy and Miami passed on Sewell.

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 2
  • Da Guru changed the title to DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?