What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (18 Viewers)

Now nobody needs any reassurance that the Lions had a good draft, they're being universally praised for having a top ten/top 8 draft. But I found the reactions to their picks at Bootleg Football to be interesting. Brett Kollmann (YouTube's The Film Room) and E.J. Snyder (Senior Draft Analyst Windy City Gridiron) teamed up to start a Podcast, both are purely film junkies.

They don't consider analytics or production at all in evaluating talent, it's purely grinding away at watching 2-10 games of film for 400 prospects and confirming what they see with the raw measurables. That's a particular methodology and it's not always 100% correct, I've been steered wrong in FF by listening to film breakdown guys a bit too much. Overall the genre is more successful but they def have their share of whiffs, just like any method it's not foolproof.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in seeing this.

1. #7 Penei Sewell some debate here bc they view DeVonta as the next coming of Marvin Harrison but Campbell wants kneecap biters. This guy is liquid quick, moves like a 280 pound TE, super young. Jared Goff will never be able to complain about not having enough time. Left to right: Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson - excellent rookie last year - Frank Ragnow, probably Stenberg, Big V or Crosby backing up, Sewell....man! (they've both in love with Logan Stenberg) Lions draft room going wild, it's gotta be Sewell.
  2. #41 Levi Onwuzurik "Dan Campbell getting his guys" then breaks down how they're going to use the lineman they have rn.
  3. #72 Alim McNeill "Ooooh. There are two guys at defensive tackle who are penetrators and they just got both of them." Long discussion what scheme they are attempting to build.
  4. #101 Ifeatu Melifonwu they had been mentioning him frequently in the run-up and were very surprised he fell. "About damn time. That's just value. Think about their secondary. They're four deep. Legit four corners deep. Now you've got penetrating tackles and four corners who can cover. They got a lot of dudes."
  5. #112 Amon-Ra St Brown Unrelentingly competitive, will fight you for the ball, great pick.
  6. #113 Derrick Barnes I don't want to spoil it for you. This is the best one. "Lions showing some real savvy in this draft. As a Bears fan, I'm having problems with this pick. We got used to Matt Patricia doing whatever it was he was doing bc it wasn't gonna work. Dan Campbell - different." If (like me) you think it was a mistake taking Barnes over Jabril Cox, listen to their breakdown.
  7. #257 Jermar Jefferson starts off talking about Mr Irrelevant, whom of course they love (5'11" LB with great instincts but just not an NFL athlete), then back up and talk about the last four picks, two of who are terrific RBs going to NFC North teams.
Listen, film guys are not always right. But according to two whom I respect a lot - when they're guests on other pods I make sure to not miss it - they absolutely crushed every single pick. 100%.
Special thanks to you Bobby Layne. Appreciate you cueing up the exact time they speak about each pick.

Love these guys saying the Lions are now officially competent in the draft.

Now nobody needs any reassurance that the Lions had a good draft, they're being universally praised for having a top ten/top 8 draft. But I found the reactions to their picks at Bootleg Football to be interesting. Brett Kollmann (YouTube's The Film Room) and E.J. Snyder (Senior Draft Analyst Windy City Gridiron) teamed up to start a Podcast, both are purely film junkies.

They don't consider analytics or production at all in evaluating talent, it's purely grinding away at watching 2-10 games of film for 400 prospects and confirming what they see with the raw measurables. That's a particular methodology and it's not always 100% correct, I've been steered wrong in FF by listening to film breakdown guys a bit too much. Overall the genre is more successful but they def have their share of whiffs, just like any method it's not foolproof.

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in seeing this.

1. #7 Penei Sewell some debate here bc they view DeVonta as the next coming of Marvin Harrison but Campbell wants kneecap biters. This guy is liquid quick, moves like a 280 pound TE, super young. Jared Goff will never be able to complain about not having enough time. Left to right: Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson - excellent rookie last year - Frank Ragnow, probably Stenberg, Big V or Crosby backing up, Sewell....man! (they've both in love with Logan Stenberg) Lions draft room going wild, it's gotta be Sewell.
  2. #41 Levi Onwuzurik "Dan Campbell getting his guys" then breaks down how they're going to use the lineman they have rn.
  3. #72 Alim McNeill "Ooooh. There are two guys at defensive tackle who are penetrators and they just got both of them." Long discussion what scheme they are attempting to build.
  4. #101 Ifeatu Melifonwu they had been mentioning him frequently in the run-up and were very surprised he fell. "About damn time. That's just value. Think about their secondary. They're four deep. Legit four corners deep. Now you've got penetrating tackles and four corners who can cover. They got a lot of dudes."
  5. #112 Amon-Ra St Brown Unrelentingly competitive, will fight you for the ball, great pick.
  6. #113 Derrick Barnes I don't want to spoil it for you. This is the best one. "Lions showing some real savvy in this draft. As a Bears fan, I'm having problems with this pick. We got used to Matt Patricia doing whatever it was he was doing bc it wasn't gonna work. Dan Campbell - different." If (like me) you think it was a mistake taking Barnes over Jabril Cox, listen to their breakdown.
  7. #257 Jermar Jefferson starts off talking about Mr Irrelevant, whom of course they love (5'11" LB with great instincts but just not an NFL athlete), then back up and talk about the last four picks, two of who are terrific RBs going to NFC North teams.
Listen, film guys are not always right. But according to two whom I respect a lot - when they're guests on other pods I make sure to not miss it - they absolutely crushed every single pick. 100%.
You are the man. Thanks for the effort on the post there. I love everything they said except the comments about Sternberg who the Lions wouldn't even activate last year no matter how many guys were inured in front of him. He's got a lot to prove before we can assume he is starting. 

You are the man. Thanks for the effort on the post there. I love everything they said except the comments about Sternberg who the Lions wouldn't even activate last year no matter how many guys were inured in front of him. He's got a lot to prove before we can assume he is starting. 
Sternberg was the forgotten man last year.

With draft completed Lions expected to make following moves:

add veteran scout Mike Martin from Panthers and put him in an elevated position

Also will sign a veteran FA safety. Doing this now does not effect compensatory picks.

With draft completed Lions expected to make following moves:

add veteran scout Mike Martin from Panthers and put him in an elevated position

Also will sign a veteran FA safety. Doing this now does not effect compensatory picks.
Wht is Glover Quinn doing these days?

Josh Hill retiring. Too bad. Do not know reason. he was a good blocking TE.

Lions have another hole to fill.
Birkett reporting team brought  Darren Fells in for a visit. 35 years old but he can block.

Alize Mack will probably be the backup TE. Former Saints 7th rounder, 8.54 RAS, Campbell is familiar with him. Hunter Thedford, 6’8” blocker, is also on the 90 man (I think they only have 84 signed rn so they’ll add a few more players before TC.)

Hock the only TE on the roster who has suited up for NFL game.

2022 Compensatory Picks Update (5/4/2021)

Golladay (3rd)
MJJ (5th) 
Agnew (6th)

(Davis & Prater were cancelled out by Jamaal Williams & Breshad Perriman.)

These are conditional and could change depending on playing time.

2022 Lions Draft:

Det 1st
LAR 1st  
Det 2nd
Det 3rd
Comp 3rd
Det 5th
Comp 5th
Det 6th
Comp 6th
Det 7th (conditional)
Cle 7th (conditional)

I imagine with 3 of the first 37 picks in 2022 and two firsts in 2023 we’ll get around to finding a long term quarterback and some playmakers. Unless of course Goff plays like a pro bowler when he has good protection a la 2017-18.

Signed a G and a LS yesterday. No visiting S sightings.

Birkett reporting team brought  Darren Fells in for a visit. 35 years old but he can block.

Alize Mack will probably be the backup TE. Former Saints 7th rounder, 8.54 RAS, Campbell is familiar with him. Hunter Thedford, 6’8” blocker, is also on the 90 man (I think they only have 84 signed rn so they’ll add a few more players before TC.)

Hock the only TE on the roster who has suited up for NFL game.
Miami has 6 TEs on the roster, including Gesicki and newcomer Hunter Long. They also have Shaheen and Smythe, with 2nd and 4th round pedigrees. And Cethan Carter signed for special teams ability. One of them could be traded or cut. After June 1, there should be another TE available  for Lions. Aren't they in tank mode?

Miami has 6 TEs on the roster, including Gesicki and newcomer Hunter Long. They also have Shaheen and Smythe, with 2nd and 4th round pedigrees. And Cethan Carter signed for special teams ability. One of them could be traded or cut. After June 1, there should be another TE available  for Lions. Aren't they in tank mode?
There's a Joe Fauria out there, I just know it.

(make sure to include the no-puppy clause when you sign him, Brad)

Waiving RB Kerryon Johnson.
Sad how his career went. Lions really overdrafted him but he showed some flashes. However, like in college, he just couldn't ever stay healthy and carry a real load. I am guessing this move by Detroit was their way of doing him a solid. It gives him a chance to sign and catch on somewhere else instead of waiting until August to cut him. 

Sad how his career went. Lions really overdrafted him but he showed some flashes. However, like in college, he just couldn't ever stay healthy and carry a real load. I am guessing this move by Detroit was their way of doing him a solid. It gives him a chance to sign and catch on somewhere else instead of waiting until August to cut him. 
"However, like in college".

To my mind it seems frequently that players with significant injury history in college have the same in the pros. Some really stick in your mind like Jahvid Best who had a concussion history in college. Maybe I'm cherry picking.

I had posted earlier (before Jermer J. pick) that Lion draft picks had pretty clean health histories. Opting out for the covid year helped many players to stay healthy including Sewell & Levi. Jermer had some health issues. Would expect volume rushers to have more.

Finally, its a shame about Kerryon. He played well until the injuries. I hope he catches on elsewhere.

Bears QB is already better.
The Bears thought the same with Trubiski.  When Feilds goes to his first pro bowl, get back to me.  His running ability will work well for him, but teams passes on him because they thought he lacked essential skills to succeed at the pro level, mainly reading defenses and finding his second or third reviever.  Locking in on your first reviewer and hitting him does not lead to success in the NFL.  Fields is a longer term project who may or may not develop into a great qb. 

The Bears thought the same with Trubiski.  When Feilds goes to his first pro bowl, get back to me.  His running ability will work well for him, but teams passes on him because they thought he lacked essential skills to succeed at the pro level, mainly reading defenses and finding his second or third reviever.  Locking in on your first reviewer and hitting him does not lead to success in the NFL.  Fields is a longer term project who may or may not develop into a great qb. 
That's all your opinion. 

What we do know is that Goff is now bad. 

That's all your opinion. 

What we do know is that Goff is now bad. 
Goff looked rather average last year and still won a playoff game at the pro level.  If you look back at Fields, he had poor games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama last year in a shorten schedule.   That is what is concerning for him.  

Goff looked rather average last year and still won a playoff game at the pro level.  If you look back at Fields, he had poor games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama last year in a shorten schedule.   That is what is concerning for him.  
I'd say Goff looked below average last year (ranked 23rd in QBR despite many weapons)

Also, Akers and the Defense won that playoff game.

Goff had great WR's and a genius offensive mind coaching him.  Does Detroit have either of those?

I have nothing against the Lions, actually kinda like them.  But 32 NFL teams would take Fields over Goff right now.  He's quite bad and now has no receivers.  If you're going to discount Fields, then we'll agree that it goes:

Cousins

Love/Goff/Fields

If you listened at Campbell talk yesterday discussing the draft and how he plans on using these players, it looks like the first six picks all are in the plans for a significant roll this years.  Throw in that jermar is already the #3 RB on this team, and that will even be productive.  Detroit has NEVER got any first year production out of more than 3 positional players in a draft class.  This year, provided they stay healthy, we will be seeing all seven of these guys on the field in every game, most of them in starting rolls.  That is why I am confident in calling this their best draft ever.  Are there future two all-pros in here?  I think there is one lock and a couple others capable.  

I'd say Goff looked below average last year (ranked 23rd in QBR despite many weapons)

Also, Akers and the Defense won that playoff game.

Goff had great WR's and a genius offensive mind coaching him.  Does Detroit have either of those?

I have nothing against the Lions, actually kinda like them.  But 32 NFL teams would take Fields over Goff right now.  He's quite bad and now has no receivers.  If you're going to discount Fields, then we'll agree that it goes:

Cousins

Love/Goff/Fields
Certainly most everyone would say Cousins, but he is still just a .500 quarterback with one playoff win in 9 seasons.  He is good and efficient, but nothing great.   Goff is not as far behind him as most people think.  

Certainly most everyone would say Cousins, but he is still just a .500 quarterback with one playoff win in 9 seasons.  He is good and efficient, but nothing great.   Goff is not as far behind him as most people think.  
As of today I would put Goff as the worst QB in the div.  If Rodgers goes and they get no one in return, bump him to 3rd.

I think it's a good thing Goff is going to be terrible this year.  You have some great young talent, but still will likely have a top 7 pick next year to draft a new franchise QB.  The division is getting weaker too.  Things are on the up in Detroit, even if (especially if) this season goes poorly from a wins perspective.

Tough to do rankings until Love and Fields become actual starters. I just know that if and when AR leaves the division everyone gets bumped up a notch. As do the other 3 teams.

Ya I'm just talking the actual QB talent, not situation. 
If you are talking just raw talent, Goff has that in spades.  His problem has always been adapting when things go off script, situational stuff.  Until we see Fields and Love, and how they handle the NFL, I think it's a mistake to declare they are better than Goff.  

Just talking strictly QB talent, Goff is probably first in the division, slightly above Cousins.  The guy was the 1st overall pick, and has shown that when everything is going as designed with the offense, he can perform at an elite level.  The other two are incomplete as of yet, because we have nothing to go on in regards to how they will perform in the NFL.

I say all of that as someone who is not a fan of Goff.  I'm just not sure how you can argue Goff isn't a very talented QB if we are disregarding everything situational or out of his control.

Frank the tank gets a 4 year extension. He had two years left, I presume now it runs through 2024? Highest paid center in the league.

Totally worth it.

Goff isn’t quite bad. He was in 2016 when he was 0-7 and looked like a bust. He made the pro bowl in 2017 & 2018, reached the Super Bowl. He’s been average the last two season and hasn’t played well when he’s under pressure, but the team has gone 42-22 with him over the last 4 years.

Bad is a bit much, he’s not a bottom third QB. 

Reported tied to team till 2026.
Even better! So it’s not a new contract but a 4-year extension.

Warrior gets thrown around and overused a lot. Guys who play with a fractured throat have earned it. He and Decker seem like really good dudes off the field as well.

BobbyLayne said:
Frank the tank gets a 4 year extension. He had two years left, I presume now it runs through 2024? Highest paid center in the league.

Totally worth it.
Detroit Free Press:  "He's no playmaker"

4-year, $54 million and is only 24.  Right in his athletic prime.  They have a young talented offensive line that they can build a great offensive around for many years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goff isn’t quite bad. He was in 2016 when he was 0-7 and looked like a bust. He made the pro bowl in 2017 & 2018, reached the Super Bowl. He’s been average the last two season and hasn’t played well when he’s under pressure, but the team has gone 42-22 with him over the last 4 years.

Bad is a bit much, he’s not a bottom third QB. 
You can name 11 starting QBs you'd prefer Goff on your team over? 

Newton, Lock, Hurts, Jones, Winston.   That's all I got. 

We'll see what Goff can do without great receivers, coaching, and defense. 

Fields and Love.

Goff will have the best offensive line the Lions have ever seen.  Can't say how great of an offensive scheme this staff will put together, but if the draft and how players are being handled is any indication Campbell is going to be a great coach.   Not saying much, but this defense will be better in every area from line, to linebackers, to secondary.  A QB with pass protection can get by with decent WR's especially paired with an elite tight end and good running backs.

Fields and Love.

Goff will have the best offensive line the Lions have ever seen.  Can't say how great of an offensive scheme this staff will put together, but if the draft and how players are being handled is any indication Campbell is going to be a great coach.   Not saying much, but this defense will be better in every area from line, to linebackers, to secondary.  A QB with pass protection can get by with decent WR's especially paired with an elite tight end and good running backs.
As of now Rodgers is still the starter in GB though, can't really call love the starter right now.  I still think youd be very hard pressed to find any NFL teams that would take Goff over Fields but we've already debated that one to death. So I'm at 5 current teams that would prefer Goff as their starting QB over who they have now. I definitely think he's bottom 3rd. 

You have a good point about OL, but I think you're going to see his true colours now that his coaching and WRs aren't as strong. 

Derrick Barnes: A 'Lion Is King of the Jungle'

New Detroit Lions linebacker Derrick Barnes is a player head coach Dan Campbell relates to, based on his 'old-school' mentality. 

"He's dependable, he's tough, and really, he's only been a stack backer for a year. He's got so much room to grow. He's got an old-school mentality about him." Campbell said in a recent Sirius XM interview. "He's already reached out to me. He wants to be 55. How throwback is 55 for an inside linebacker? It's so beautiful."

"But yet he's a damn good athlete. This kid can run. You know? He's got an old-school mentality, but he's a new-age athlete. He can run, he's tough, he's smart, he's got 34-inch arms, so he comes downhill and he can shed blocks," Campbell commented further. "Look, he'll have a little bit of growing pains, but we all think he can develop into something special. There again, his character just reeks of success."

Prior to this year's draft, the theme emanating from the Lions organization was drafting players who loved football, demonstrated grit and who could easily fit into the new culture of the organization. 

At first glance, Barnes fits the criteria quite well. 

“I would just say that just me personally as a player, I love to be on the field, I love to contribute to the team. I love to do what the coach asks me to do. And if they, you know, you’re a football player. So being versatile is huge in the NFL and I’m glad I can bring that to the table," Barnes said after being drafted by the Lions. "Playing defensive end was awesome, playing linebacker was awesome. I’m just ready to take it to the NFL and do whatever the coaches ask me to do. Just ready to get to work and you know, come to Detroit and do what I’ve been doing so far and even better. So, I’m excited about that.”

Barnes, 21, noticeably has a large Lions tattoo that covers his chest.

"My favorite animal," he said. "I think the Lion is the king of the jungle. Heart of a lion, that’s what I say I have. You know, loyalty, just power, and just leadership. I think that’s all the strengths I grew up having. Always been a fan of the lion."

I'll add Darnold, Carr, Jimmy G, Fitzmagic, and Ben.  Tua and Wentz are right the cusp.

I'll add Darnold, Carr, Jimmy G, Fitzmagic, and Ben.  Tua and Wentz are right the cusp.
I take Darnold, Carr, Lance over Goff for sure. 

Tua and wentz and I agree are on the cusp but I think both are more valuable to NFL teams than Goff. 

Darnold had the worst coaching and wrs in the league last year. Rams had some of the best. 

I really think Goff isn't valued much at all around the league as a starting qb. I think Washington is the only of your above teams that would trade qb situations with Detroit. 

I take Darnold, Carr, Lance over Goff for sure. 

Tua and wentz and I agree are on the cusp but I think both are more valuable to NFL teams than Goff. 

Darnold had the worst coaching and wrs in the league last year. Rams had some of the best. 

I really think Goff isn't valued much at all around the league as a starting qb. I think Washington is the only of your above teams that would trade qb situations with Detroit. 
Now you're just being silly.  Lance is a complete dev project and maybe will be good, even great, in a couple of years but you definitely shouldn't have him above Goff now, same with Fields.  Darnold hasn't shown half of what Goff has, even if I agree that he was hampered by the Jets failings at coaching/players.

Now you're just being silly.  Lance is a complete dev project and maybe will be good, even great, in a couple of years but you definitely shouldn't have him above Goff now, same with Fields.  Darnold hasn't shown half of what Goff has, even if I agree that he was hampered by the Jets failings at coaching/players.
Do you think Detroit would prefer Lance or Goff on their team if they could choose? 

For what time period are you talking about?  This year Goff for sure, next year probably Goff, after that who knows.
Agree to disagree here.  Niners think he's the smartest and ready QB in the draft (not saying that's correct).

I take Lance in a heartbeat next year over Goff.... possibly even this year.

I think you're overestimating Goff's talents greatly, and will see what he does without WR's and coaching this year.  Wrs/Coaching is very underrated to a QB's success in my opinion.  Look at Tannehill.  Look at Darnold (maybe).  Goff has had genius coaching and some of the best weapons in the league.  We will see how he does this year but I don't think he's viewed as a very good QB around the league.

Users who are viewing this thread