What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (18 Viewers)

This type of move I would only entertain if Rodgers left the division....

With the Jets signing Corey Davis, having Mims, and drafting Moore....Jamison Crowder may be on his way out. He could be a decent one year option at the slot and give Goff a short area target if could be had for a 7th rounder or so. I am not considering any cap impact however.
Crowder would be a great pick-up. I'm guessing a lot of teams would be interested though. I'm guessing the Titans end up with him. 

Crowder would be a great pick-up. I'm guessing a lot of teams would be interested though. I'm guessing the Titans end up with him. 
Crowder will be a great pick up for some team, but I think he gets released. Team saves $10 mil I think (post June 1). Not sure what the hit is if he’s traded. I don’t think he chooses to come to Detroit and lose after being on some bad jets/skins teams. He will go somewhere where he can win for once before his career fades. 

Lions UDFA class ranked highly with words of praise for overall draft process and management.

www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/nfc-udfa-class-rankings 

The Lions did their homework for this draft.  Jonathan Adams and Sage Surratt at WR were both draft worthy.  One of them will make the team.  Both are big bodied WR's.  Rakeem Boyd has a huge upside as he would have been one of the most coveted RB in college if he left two years ago.  Needs a lot of work on pass catching and blocking though.  Injuries, COVID and a change of the head coach derailed his career, but still talented and has a big upside potential.  He will press Jefferson for that third RB spot.  I think all three of these UDFA make the team.  The Lions are also pretty high on a third WR, Javon McKinley out of  Norte Dame.  

On defense, D'Angelo Amos at Safety is probably the most intriguing.  It was the biggest position of need that the Lions did not address in the draft.  A decent chance at making the team as a backup, but could also stick as a kick returner where he had 5 punt returns for TD's in college.  The Lions also got a couple of decent CB prospects in Jerry Jacobs and   AJ Parker.  At best they will be backups, but one could make the team. Tavante Beckett from Marshall is a decent prospect at LB, but may be more suited at Safety.

Not much starting potential, unless one of the WR's really surprises in camp.  But I would not be shocked in 4 or 5 earn a roster spot.  I really expect all seven of the draft choices will stick, so over 20% of the 53-man roster will be guys from the draft or UDFA's.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions first-round RT Penei Sewell announced he tested positive for COVID-19 last weekend and will miss rookie minicamp.

Not a great way to start his NFL career, but Sewell should be ready for full-team workouts sooner rather than later. It's better to get this out of the way now than over the summer or even during the regular season, but it's still not ideal for the No. 7 overall pick. Sewell is expected to take over right-tackle duties this season in Detroit, giving the Lions a starting line (from left to right) of LT Taylor Decker, LG Jonah Jackson, C Frank Ragnow, RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai, and RT Sewell. It's one of the league's better lines on paper.

SOURCE: Penei Sewell on Twitter

May 12, 2021, 3:14 PM ET

The Lions did their homework for this draft.  Jonathan Adams and Sage Surratt at WR were both draft worthy.  One of them will make the team.  Both are big bodied WR's.  Rakeem Boyd has a huge upside as he would have been one of the most coveted RB in college if he left two years ago.  Needs a lot of work on pass catching and blocking though.  Injuries, COVID and a change of the head coach derailed his career, but still talented and has a big upside potential.  He will press Jefferson for that third RB spot.  I think all three of these UDFA make the team.  The Lions are also pretty high on a third WR, Javon McKinley out of  Norte Dame.  

On defense, D'Angelo Amos at Safety is probably the most intriguing.  It was the biggest position of need that the Lions did not address in the draft.  A decent chance at making the team as a backup, but could also stick as a kick returner where he had 5 punt returns for TD's in college.  The Lions also got a couple of decent CB prospects in Jerry Jacobs and   AJ Parker.  At best they will be backups, but one could make the team. Tavante Beckett from Marshall is a decent prospect at LB, but may be more suited at Safety.

Not much starting potential, unless one of the WR's really surprises in camp.  But I would not be shocked in 4 or 5 earn a roster spot.  I really expect all seven of the draft choices will stick, so over 20% of the 53-man roster will be guys from the draft or UDFA's.  
I’m intrigued by both these WRs. Numerically, they are low down on the depth chart with quite a few bodies in front of them. But let’s be honest, most of those names aren’t particularly inspiring and are journeymen. They have the chance to impress and move quickly up the roster if they flash talent. They will be fresh and malleable players for the new coaching staff to mould. I know Sage Surratt was the name that kept popping up on WR lists leading up the draft, but I really like the sound of Adams and his production in college. Wiffs of a Golliday-lite type of situation where he may have been undervalued going into the draft. I’ve been grabbing him for taxi squads in my dynasty rosters. 

ive been very busy recently so wasn’t aware of Rakeem Boyd. I’ll keep my eye on that one thanks. 

Surratt's 4.7 40 time will keep him off the roster. Just too slow for a legit NFL receiver. Since they invested significant $ in McKinley and Adams I would think both stand a better chance.

been watching a lot of tape / film breakdown of Amon-Ra St Brown

he’s a really good route runner, has a really well developed set of moves to get a good release and knows how to open up the DBs hips before committing to his route

good hands catcher, strong but def not long, really good at high pointing the ball and winning 50/50s

not really a burner by any stretch but it is interesting his 40 times at his Pro Day were 4.61 & 4.51 the 2nd time. he’s not slow...but unfortunately it’s harder to trust 40 times from pro days bc of varying conditions & timing methods. very good 3-cone (6.86) which is a good sign for a player in his role. elite vertical (38.5”) & broad jump (10’7”) so he’s got some springs. also - no surprise, I swear no one is EVER 6’1” - his actually height is 5’11-1/2”, arms 30-3/8” (not a typo), hands 9-1/8”. RAS 7.14 (722 out of 2517 projects the last 25 years.) 20 225 lb bench reps - dude is chiseled and has a great work ethic on/off the field, speaks 3 languages, parents are a little different but this is not Ball or Marinovich, they excel away from the field as well.

he’s actually a far better athlete than Robert Woods and JJSS, a couple other moss growers out of USC many thought would fail at the next level

there are some guys who win by getting separation with pure speed and other WRs who are just as effective using a variety of techniques to get off the line and create just enough of a gap to gain an edge. Amon-Ra is the latter.

my prediction is he’ll have a long career as an effective WR2. he’ll probably never be a true WR1 (though I expect him to be Lions best receiver this fall) and he’ll be a solid complimentary piece to the stud they draft next year.

been watching a lot of tape / film breakdown of Amon-Ra St Brown

he’s a really good route runner, has a really well developed set of moves to get a good release and knows how to open up the DBs hips before committing to his route

good hands catcher, strong but def not long, really good at high pointing the ball and winning 50/50s

not really a burner by any stretch but it is interesting his 40 times at his Pro Day were 4.61 & 4.51 the 2nd time. he’s not slow...but unfortunately it’s harder to trust 40 times from pro days bc of varying conditions & timing methods. very good 3-cone (6.86) which is a good sign for a player in his role. elite vertical (38.5”) & broad jump (10’7”) so he’s got some springs. also - no surprise, I swear no one is EVER 6’1” - his actually height is 5’11-1/2”, arms 30-3/8” (not a typo), hands 9-1/8”. RAS 7.14 (722 out of 2517 projects the last 25 years.) 20 225 lb bench reps - dude is chiseled and has a great work ethic on/off the field, speaks 3 languages, parents are a little different but this is not Ball or Marinovich, they excel away from the field as well.

he’s actually a far better athlete than Robert Woods and JJSS, a couple other moss growers out of USC many thought would fail at the next level

there are some guys who win by getting separation with pure speed and other WRs who are just as effective using a variety of techniques to get off the line and create just enough of a gap to gain an edge. Amon-Ra is the latter.

my prediction is he’ll have a long career as an effective WR2. he’ll probably never be a true WR1 (though I expect him to be Lions best receiver this fall) and he’ll be a solid complimentary piece to the stud they draft next year.
Read that he was asked to operate as a wideout the last year and was less effective than he was working from the slot.

I am excited to root for this team once again. Not because I think they are Super Bowl bound…but because the organization seems like they have intent and purpose in what they are doing. 

Unfortunately Adams is also pretty slow at 4.64
Holmes has a different view on straight line 40 times without pads and what he views as "game speed"   

Jerry Rice was around 4.6 coming out and never the fastest but how many times was he caught from behind? 

Read that he was asked to operate as a wideout the last year and was less effective than he was working from the slot.
that's the common narrative

2019 (mostly slot) was 6th in receptions, 5th in receiving yards, 10th in receiving TDs

2020 (playing the X) was 1st in receptions, 4th in receiving yards, 1st in receiving TDs

I mean....sample size -  6 game season

he had 4 TDs in one quarter last December, that's legend of Al Bundy type stuff

dude can ball

like I said, he's gonna make a good WR2 IMO

if he is mostly a slot WR that's fine, we'll find a stud to pair with him down the road

1. vs. 49ers — Sunday, September 12 — 1 p.m. 
  2. at Packers — Monday, September 20 — 8:15 p.m. 
  3. vs. Ravens — Sunday, September 26 — 1 p.m.

OK, I don't think we're winning any games in September

4. at Bears — Sunday, October 3 — 1 p.m.
  5. at Vikings — Sunday, October 10 — 1 p.m.
  6. vs. Bengals — Sunday, October 17 — 1 p.m.
  7. at Rams — Sunday, October 24 — 4:05 p.m. 
  8. vs. Eagles — Sunday, October 31 — 1 p.m.

Bears are always a winnable game, ditto for Bengals at home

9. BYE
  10. at Steelers — Sunday, November 14 — 1 p.m. 
  11. at Browns — Sunday, November 21 — 1 p.m.
  12. vs. Bears — Thursday, November 25 — 12:30 p.m.

Thanksgiving *might* be a W

13. vs. Vikings — Sunday, December 5 — 1 p.m.
  14. at Broncos — Sunday, December 12 — 4:05 p.m.
  15. vs. Cardinals — Sunday, December 19 — 1 p.m.
  16. at Falcons — Sunday, December 26 — 1 p.m.

Right now the road games look winnable, but when they're already at double digit losses on the year?

17. at Seahawks — Sunday, January 2 — 4:25 p.m. ET
  18. vs. Packers — Sunday, January 9 — 1 p.m. 

3-14 and the #1 overall pick for 2022. I really need to get started on next year's draft class.

Kind of a BS schedule for a last place team.  How do they make your first three division games be all on the road?  Kind of glad they aren't supposed to be contenders with that schedule.  

9. BYE

Right now the road games look winnable, but when they're already at double digit losses on the year?

3-14 and the #1 overall pick for 2022. I really need to get started on next year's draft class.
Lions and NFC will get the extra home game next year.

9. BYE

1. vs. 49ers — Sunday, September 12 — 1 p.m.  L 23-35, 0-1
  2. at Packers — Monday, September 20 — 8:15 p.m. W 28-17, 1-1 (Rodgers is gone)
  3. vs. Ravens — Sunday, September 26 — 1 p.m. L 13-38, 1-2

4. at Bears — Sunday, October 3 — 1 p.m. W 24-23, 2-2 (Dalton's last game as a starter)
  5. at Vikings — Sunday, October 10 — 1 p.m. L 17-31, 2-3
  6. vs. Bengals — Sunday, October 17 — 1 p.m. L 28-38, 2-4
  7. at Rams — Sunday, October 24 — 4:05 p.m. L 13-45, 2-5 (Staff lights them up)
  8. vs. Eagles — Sunday, October 31 — 1 p.m. W 27-24, 3-5 (Loins costume is a Real NFL team)

9. BYE
  10. at Steelers — Sunday, November 14 — 1 p.m. L 49-31, 3-6
  11. at Browns — Sunday, November 21 — 1 p.m. L 10-27, 3-7
  12. vs. Bears — Thursday, November 25 — 12:30 p.m. L 30-31, 3-8 (Fields coming out party)

13. vs. Vikings — Sunday, December 5 — 1 p.m. L 20-35, 3-9 (Depression sets in)
  14. at Broncos — Sunday, December 12 — 4:05 p.m. L 21-52, 3-10 (Rodgers goes boom)
  15. vs. Cardinals — Sunday, December 19 — 1 p.m. L 28-34, 3-11 (Can't get it done with the final possession)
  16. at Falcons — Sunday, December 26 — 1 p.m. L 27-38, 3-12 (Falcons strong this season)

17. at Seahawks — Sunday, January 2 — 4:25 p.m. ET L 10-42, 3-13 (Hangover game)
  18. vs. Packers — Sunday, January 9 — 1 p.m. W 34-17, 4-13 (Loins #### up and lose the #3 seed)

1. vs. 49ers — Sunday, September 12 — 1 p.m.  L 23-35, 0-1
  2. at Packers — Monday, September 20 — 8:15 p.m. W 28-17, 1-1 (Rodgers is gone)
  3. vs. Ravens — Sunday, September 26 — 1 p.m. L 13-38, 1-2

4. at Bears — Sunday, October 3 — 1 p.m. W 24-23, 2-2 (Dalton's last game as a starter)
  5. at Vikings — Sunday, October 10 — 1 p.m. L 17-31, 2-3
  6. vs. Bengals — Sunday, October 17 — 1 p.m. L 28-38, 2-4
  7. at Rams — Sunday, October 24 — 4:05 p.m. L 13-45, 2-5 (Staff lights them up)
  8. vs. Eagles — Sunday, October 31 — 1 p.m. W 27-24, 3-5 (Loins costume is a Real NFL team)

9. BYE
  10. at Steelers — Sunday, November 14 — 1 p.m. L 49-31, 3-6
  11. at Browns — Sunday, November 21 — 1 p.m. L 10-27, 3-7
  12. vs. Bears — Thursday, November 25 — 12:30 p.m. L 30-31, 3-8 (Fields coming out party)

13. vs. Vikings — Sunday, December 5 — 1 p.m. L 20-35, 3-9 (Depression sets in)
  14. at Broncos — Sunday, December 12 — 4:05 p.m. L 21-52, 3-10 (Rodgers goes boom)
  15. vs. Cardinals — Sunday, December 19 — 1 p.m. L 28-34, 3-11 (Can't get it done with the final possession)
  16. at Falcons — Sunday, December 26 — 1 p.m. L 27-38, 3-12 (Falcons strong this season)

17. at Seahawks — Sunday, January 2 — 4:25 p.m. ET L 10-42, 3-13 (Hangover game)
  18. vs. Packers — Sunday, January 9 — 1 p.m. W 34-17, 4-13 (Loins #### up and lose the #3 seed)
For every team, there are winnable games that get away and surprising wins that no one saw coming. It's such an emotional game and while talent rises to the top, for one game it's amazing how a bad team can will it's way to victory over a good team (SEE Lions v Patriots circa 9/2018.) But the cream usually rises to the top.

I'm not overly concerned with the number of wins this year. If we lose games, better draft position. At the same time, I want to see how MCDC is able to lead the team during adversity. I want to see some fight. And what I don't want to see is a COMPLETE LACK OF PREPARATION IN ALL THREE PHASES OF THE GAME BECAUSE THE MOTHER####ING HEAD COACH IS SCHEMATICALLY CLUELESS AND HAS LOST HIS TEAM. 

Sorry, little PTSD trigger kicking in there from the Quintricia era, I'll be fine.

I’m intrigued by both these WRs. Numerically, they are low down on the depth chart with quite a few bodies in front of them. But let’s be honest, most of those names aren’t particularly inspiring and are journeymen. They have the chance to impress and move quickly up the roster if they flash talent. They will be fresh and malleable players for the new coaching staff to mould. I know Sage Surratt was the name that kept popping up on WR lists leading up the draft, but I really like the sound of Adams and his production in college. Wiffs of a Golliday-lite type of situation where he may have been undervalued going into the draft. I’ve been grabbing him for taxi squads in my dynasty rosters. 

ive been very busy recently so wasn’t aware of Rakeem Boyd. I’ll keep my eye on that one thanks. 
Good to see around again. I've been serving at the food pantry with a guy from Scotland who is a big Rangers fan and "completed the 93." I'm in the Toon Army thanks to my son who didn't want to become a fan of the perennial SOL losers (the Magpies last won the PL in 1927 but I don't remind him of that.)

Holmes has a different view on straight line 40 times without pads and what he views as "game speed"   

Jerry Rice was around 4.6 coming out and never the fastest but how many times was he caught from behind? 
The Rice 4.60 is a myth. There's multiple reports from his coaches and GMs that said he timed 4.45-4.50.  And I don't think a WR has to be fast to be successful but it helps. Tyrell and Perriman are fast (or at least were when they came out), but every young WR on the team is really slow. I like what the team has done so far but Cephus, ARSB, Adams and Sage are flat out slow- like bottom 15th percentile slow. 

Good to see around again. I've been serving at the food pantry with a guy from Scotland who is a big Rangers fan and "completed the 93." I'm in the Toon Army thanks to my son who didn't want to become a fan of the perennial SOL losers (the Magpies last won the PL in 1927 but I don't remind him of that.)
I’m always at least lurking if not posting very much through the off season ! He will no doubt be very happy right now then, Rangers got their first title in over a decade and may go the whole season undefeated. 

Emm yeah, Newcastle, big city and support but haven’t won any trophy at all, let alone the league, since that time !

I’m always at least lurking if not posting very much through the off season ! He will no doubt be very happy right now then, Rangers got their first title in over a decade and may go the whole season undefeated. 

Emm yeah, Newcastle, big city and support but haven’t won any trophy at all, let alone the league, since that time !
Are you able to watch any Lions games live?

****Breaking News****

No NFL has ever successfully completed the bird gauntlet. The 2021 Detroit Lions have an opportunity to defeat all five NFL avian teams.

Ravens Week 3
Eagles 🦅 Week 8
Cardinals Week 15
Falcons Week 16 
Seahawks Week 17

Big Cats 🦁 versus Birds 🐦

I’m taking the apex predator every time.

:thumbup:

****Breaking News****

No NFL has ever successfully completed the bird gauntlet. The 2021 Detroit Lions have an opportunity to defeat all five NFL avian teams.

Ravens Week 3
Eagles 🦅 Week 8
Cardinals Week 15
Falcons Week 16 
Seahawks Week 17

🦁🐤🐤🐤🐤🐤🦁

****Breaking News****

Ravens Week 3
Eagles 🦅 Week 8
Cardinals Week 15
Falcons Week 16 
Seahawks Week 17

Seems doable

Jeremy Fowler reporting OT Tyrell Crosby was on the trading block. First reaction was what? as I though that OL was in good shape and a vet like Crosby provided good depth.

He's in a contract year he has played well enough to get starters money. Lions have already invested in OL and have to spread $ to other areas. Putting him up for trade now gives them a chance to see what they can get as opposed to him getting injured and getting a lower comp pick. If they dont get a good offer they can wait and see who needs OL during the year and make a deal then.

Bummer though

Big Cats 🦁 versus Birds 🐦 ?
That's wild that you play all the bird teams.  Also funny, I was looking at this year's draft and found it strange how bad all the Big Cats teams were last year.  All 4 of them picked in the top 8 picks of the draft.  Weird!

Leroy Hoard said:
Are you able to watch any Lions games live?
All the time. Standard Lions games are 6pm UK time Sunday eve. Thursday/Sunday/Monday night football generally around 12.30 - 01.30 am so sometimes depending on work. Have seen them twice in person at Wembley. Have been to Detroit and stood on the Ford Field pitch albeit during summer 

Amon-Ra after rookie camp:

I'm Ready to Take Someone's Job

Son....you're going up against a return specialist, a guy who didn't play last year (and he wasn't that great in GB before that), and a 5th rounder whose claim to fame is being the first Quintez to score an NFL TD. Plus a gaggle of slow UDFAs. 

Kid should have a pretty good breakout year. The two vets they signed should own most of the snaps outside, but ARSB should be in the vast majority of the 11 formations. If he gains Goff's trust he's the kind of WR who can rack up a ton of targets/receptions. My expectation is his YPR will be around 9.5-11.0, with very little YAC and few deep balls. But he has a pretty versatile tool belt of release techniques and does a great job of selling his routes. In full PPR redraft he's a must add.

Dynasty, @Ilov80s laid out a good plan in his player thread. Take him this year, trade him after he "surprises" people with his production. The alpha isn't on the team yet and at his draft capital he'll always be a marginal WR2/WR3 kind of guy, but good enough that he should have a long and semi-productive career.

If you are going to lose, at least be entertaining.

Let's just hope Dan doesn't go all Roman Colosseum on his players if they screw up a key play.
post game conference Week 1

Lions PR Guy: Head Coach Dan Campbell is here to talk about the loss to the 49ers. Justin Rodgers?

JR: Thanks. Coach, what went into the thought process of not having Logan Stenberg on the active roster today? Seems like it would have been useful to have him available instead of Crosby being the only veteran O lineman on the sideline available.

MCDC: Right, well as you know one of the things we decided in the offseason was to replace Roary the Lion mascot with an actual live big cat, and we like that, it sends the right message of intimidation when  we roll the cage in front of the opposing bench during warmups. Unfortunately Logan got mauled by Simba during the walk through Saturday. Penei got in there and threw him back in the cage before it got too bloody, though, so we hope to have Sten back next week. Just to clear up any confusion, the plan was to have the cat take a dump behind the position group bc they kept screwing up their blocking assignments but unbeknownst to us they had just polished off some Popeyes and things got out of hand for few seconds. No big deal, I think we got the right message across, we're moving on to Green Bay.

I have five Lions jerseys: Spielman, Stafford, Suh, Calvin, Slay.    

Like I said, I have no Lions jerseys. Probably going with Hock for this fall. But for anyone interested:

Drafted players:

1st round - OT Penei Sewell: Not available yet
2nd round - DT Levi Onwuzurike: 75
3rd round - DT Alim McNeill: 54
3rd round - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu: 26
4th round - WR Amon-Ra St. Brown: 14
4th round - LB Derrick Barnes: 55
7th round - RB Jermar Jefferson: 28

UDFAs:

RB Rakeem Boyd: 35
RB Dedrick Mills: 36
WR Jonathan Adams: 82 
WR Javon McKinley: 83
WR Sage Surratt: 15
TE Jake Hausmann: 40
TE Brock Wright: 89

Amon-Ra after rookie camp:

I'm Ready to Take Someone's Job

Son....you're going up against a return specialist, a guy who didn't play last year (and he wasn't that great in GB before that), and a 5th rounder whose claim to fame is being the first Quintez to score an NFL TD. Plus a gaggle of slow UDFAs. 

Kid should have a pretty good breakout year. The two vets they signed should own most of the snaps outside, but ARSB should be in the vast majority of the 11 formations. If he gains Goff's trust he's the kind of WR who can rack up a ton of targets/receptions. My expectation is his YPR will be around 9.5-11.0, with very little YAC and few deep balls. But he has a pretty versatile tool belt of release techniques and does a great job of selling his routes. In full PPR redraft he's a must add.

Dynasty, @Ilov80s laid out a good plan in his player thread. Take him this year, trade him after he "surprises" people with his production. The alpha isn't on the team yet and at his draft capital he'll always be a marginal WR2/WR3 kind of guy, but good enough that he should have a long and semi-productive career.
The comp has been cooper kupp, but he’s 2 years younger than kupp was as a rookie. I think kupps rookie year stats are pretty obtainable.

Foosball God said:
I don't think he's the route specialist that Kupp is.  Not that he can't be good but I don't think he's in Kupp's league.
Here is a nice pre draft write up as a target for Green Bay. I tend to agree with the take here- his route running is crisp. 

Foosball God said:
I don't think he's the route specialist that Kupp is.  Not that he can't be good but I don't think he's in Kupp's league.
Kupp was also 3 years older when he came to the NFL so he had a lot more practice. 

Just to put into perspective the age/experience difference between Kupp and Amon Ra: 

Amon Ra is 21 right now. By the time he turned 21 this Octover, he had 1,792 yards and 9 TDs in the PAC 12. By the time Cooper Kupp turned 21, he had 119 yards and 2 TDs in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision. 

****Breaking News****

Ravens Week 3
Eagles 🦅 Week 8
Cardinals Week 15
Falcons Week 16 
Seahawks Week 17

Has any Big Cat (or other NFL team) ever LOST the bird gauntlet?  Because I'd take THAT action.

Has any Big Cat (or other NFL team) ever LOST the bird gauntlet?  Because I'd take THAT action.
Let's go down this useless trivia rabbit hole. I've pointed out no NFL Team has ever completed Bird Gauntlet, and as it turns out, neither has anyone accomplished the Reverse Bird Gauntlet

Since the Ravens first season in 1996, 8 times a team has lost to four Bird teams. Of those 8 teams, only 1 played all 5 teams, the other 7 only played 4.

• The 2009 Chicago Bears (7-9) lost to the Falcons, Cardinals, Eagles & Ravens, but won a week 3 matchup vs the Seahawks on a Jay Cutler led late 4th quarter game winning drive.
  • The 2008 (4-12) and 2011 (2-14) St. Louis Rams were both shutout by bird teams, losing a record 6 games to them in each season. They didn't play the Ravens in '08 though, or the Falcons in '11.
  • The 2004 NY Giants (6-10) lost all 5 of their games vs bird teams, but didn't play the Seahawks.
  • The 1998 Detroit Lions (5-11) lost all 4 of their bird team games, but again didn't play the Seahawks.
  • The other 3 teams to lose to 4 bird teams in 1 season are the '01 Cowboys, the' 13 Buccaneers and the '14 Panthers.
The Cat and the Hat - Has any team beat all 4 cat teams in a single season?

Since realignment in 2002, pulling off this feat has been made much more statistically rare as it now requires beating one of the 4 cat teams in the Super Bowl. This on account of them being evenly split between the AFC & NFC, and all in separate divisions. The 2015 Broncos came the closest when they beat the Panthers in SB 50, having already beat the Lions & Bengals in the regular season, but they didn't play the Jags that season.

What about pre '02? The Jags & Panthers came into the league in 1995, and in those 7 seasons the Jags & Bengals were both in the AFC Central.

The 1995 Buccaneers (7-9) beat the Panthers, Jags & Bengals. The Bucs blew 2 chances to beat the Lions and capture this unique title: a close Week 11 game they held a half time lead in, and a week 17 beat down.

How about the Cat in the Hat fail? Have the cats ever stomped on the hat and all defeated a team in a single season?

2 teams actually were shutout by the cats in a season, losing 5 games each - the '96 Ravens (4-12) and '99 Browns (2-14). Both lost to the Jags & Bengals twice, the Panthers once, however, neither played the Lions.

The 1996 Falcons (3-13) lost to the Panthers week 1, Lions week 6, Bengals week 13, and against the Jags in Week 17 THIS HAPPENED. Not only completing the Cat in the Hat Fail, but sending the Jags to the playoffs. Worth noting the Falcons were not shutout by the cat teams that year, as they won their 2nd matchup vs the Panthers week 10.

Let's go down this useless trivia rabbit hole. I've pointed out no NFL Team has ever completed Bird Gauntlet, and as it turns out, neither has anyone accomplished the Reverse Bird Gauntlet

Since the Ravens first season in 1996, 8 times a team has lost to four Bird teams. Of those 8 teams, only 1 played all 5 teams, the other 7 only played 4.

• The 2009 Chicago Bears (7-9) lost to the Falcons, Cardinals, Eagles & Ravens, but won a week 3 matchup vs the Seahawks on a Jay Cutler led late 4th quarter game winning drive.
  • The 2008 (4-12) and 2011 (2-14) St. Louis Rams were both shutout by bird teams, losing a record 6 games to them in each season. They didn't play the Ravens in '08 though, or the Falcons in '11.
  • The 2004 NY Giants (6-10) lost all 5 of their games vs bird teams, but didn't play the Seahawks.
  • The 1998 Detroit Lions (5-11) lost all 4 of their bird team games, but again didn't play the Seahawks.
  • The other 3 teams to lose to 4 bird teams in 1 season are the '01 Cowboys, the' 13 Buccaneers and the '14 Panthers.
The Cat and the Hat - Has any team beat all 4 cat teams in a single season?

Since realignment in 2002, pulling off this feat has been made much more statistically rare as it now requires beating one of the 4 cat teams in the Super Bowl. This on account of them being evenly split between the AFC & NFC, and all in separate divisions. The 2015 Broncos came the closest when they beat the Panthers in SB 50, having already beat the Lions & Bengals in the regular season, but they didn't play the Jags that season.

What about pre '02? The Jags & Panthers came into the league in 1995, and in those 7 seasons the Jags & Bengals were both in the AFC Central.

The 1995 Buccaneers (7-9) beat the Panthers, Jags & Bengals. The Bucs blew 2 chances to beat the Lions and capture this unique title: a close Week 11 game they held a half time lead in, and a week 17 beat down.

How about the Cat in the Hat fail? Have the cats ever stomped on the hat and all defeated a team in a single season?

2 teams actually were shutout by the cats in a season, losing 5 games each - the '96 Ravens (4-12) and '99 Browns (2-14). Both lost to the Jags & Bengals twice, the Panthers once, however, neither played the Lions.

The 1996 Falcons (3-13) lost to the Panthers week 1, Lions week 6, Bengals week 13, and against the Jags in Week 17 THIS HAPPENED. Not only completing the Cat in the Hat Fail, but sending the Jags to the playoffs. Worth noting the Falcons were not shutout by the cat teams that year, as they won their 2nd matchup vs the Panthers week 10.
Nice work!

Maybe instead of "Reverse Bird Gauntlet" we should just call it getting "Hitchcock'd."

Lousy ex-NFL QBs often make for really good film analysts - Dan Orlovsky is one of my favorites.

If you want to learn a ton about a plethora of QB topics - why do QBs point out the Mike, Differences in Zone Coverage, Differences in Man Coverage, what’s the off-season like - the QB School (J.T. O’Sullivan) is top shelf. He’s did a thorough analysis of the 2021 QB class and is off and running on breaking down the 2022 QB class, which might even exceed this years. 

His YT channel has film analysis of ‘22 QBs Matt Corral, Sam Howell, Grayson McCall, Spencer Rattler, Desmond Ridder, Kenon Slovis, and Malik Willis.

He also has playlists of videos for about 10-12 current QBs. Interestingly, he thinks the big trade is a wash. Stafford has a big arm and has a better deep ball but Goff made a ton of splash plays when Cooks was stretching the field. Matthew makes the same kind of mistakes and maddening INTs as Goff, with the biggest difference being Jared has been more postseason success.

JTO on Turf Show Times

Rams podcast interviewed J.T. O’Sullivan this week.

3:45 - What J.T. O’Sullivan learned from being in the QB room for roughly one-third of the teams in the NFL in the 2000s

5:30 - Thoughts on how much draft QB evaluation has changed in the last 20 years, especially from “lower level” programs

“Everybody thinks that they’re going to go to the league and the reality is that if you’re good enough, they’ll find you.”

9:00 - Why J.T. O’Sullivan thinks that Trey Lance will have an immediate impact on the 49ers and be a dangerous quarterback in the NFC West for years to come

“It’s one of my favorite storylines of this upcoming season.”

12:00 - J.T.’s thoughts on Jared Goff’s career, from the highs to the lows

15:00 - The importance of matching the right QB to the right coach, and whether or not arm strength and deep passing ability is something that can be developed in the pros

“At the end of the day, you are what you are.”

17:00 - Any QB stats that should be held in higher regard than others and “Is winning a quarterback stat?”

20:00 - Comparing Goff to Matthew Stafford in terms of playing style and how much different the Rams could be on offense next season based on the change

“I probably see more similarities (between these QBs) than others do and this whole thing (the trade) has never made that much sense to me.”

25:00 - Can J.T. O’Sullivan imagine still playing in the NFL in his 40s, as some QBs in the league are now doing? Are teams panicking out of desperation because of Tom Brady’s immediate success with the Bucs and vice versa? How much time left is really left for Matthew Stafford?

32:00 - A look at Stafford’s last few years in Detroit and how Darrell Bevell’s offense compares to Sean McVay’s offense

“The essence of the offense will be similar (for Stafford)”

35:00 - How important is the center position and Stafford getting on the same page with Austin Corbett?

Obviously, more LAR centric than SOL but still a lot of Stafford fans here, thought it was an interesting listen.

@davebirkett

The Lions are going to give Calvin his money to get him back in the fold, it’s just a matter of how the payments are structured to make it happen.

________

Finally.

I get that people think who cares but this is a huge step in the right direction. Making nice & having discussion was a good first step but means nothing unless you follow through with actions. Sheila Ford Hamp making a lot of good decisions in her first year as Chairwoman.

Users who are viewing this thread