What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (11 Viewers)

Pretty sure Tate is 100% correct that the other teams knows the plays. No one is ever running wide open. Calvin has got to grow some balls and tell Caldwell/Dumbardi to #### themselves and his bull#### offense.
Tate also thinks there is pass interference on every play they thrown him the ball. He seems like someone a DB could easily get in his head.

If Calvin said it I would believe it. Tate, not so much..

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if you guys will be the first team in history to have 2 defeated season. As someone who dislikes the lions but just likes calvin and stafford kind of hope it happens so they fire your head coach/gm/all coaches and let stafford just wing it to calvin every game
Lions usually do well against the Bears. An dont worry once the Lions have the #1 pick in sight they will win the last 3 games.

This team needs to reboot (again). That means Stafford and Caldwell need to go. Just isn't working. I'd imagine they could get some wood for Stafford.

Once again, teams knew what exactly what was coming. On the interception by (former Lion) Corey Redding, the Arizona DL was yelling "Screen! Sceen!" as soon as he saw the formation and personnel set. At the time it was a 7-7 game. The Cardinals scored on the next play.

Lombardi has to lose his job.

Excuse me if this is a ridiculous notion but given that the idea of removing Stafford seems unlikely right now, why don't we trade or in the off season at least try to get a QB that would do a better job of pushing Stafford and potentially offering an alternative should things be going to ####.

I maintain that sometimes too much of failing is placed on the QBs shoulders and not enough on the GM and coaching staff. Stafford is clearly far from perfect but with this O line, this GM, OC and HC I'm not placing too much of the blame on our QB for what has transpired so far this season. Is it Stafford's fault we aren't getting the ball deep to Calvin like we used to ? Is it his fault when the O line collapses and he has no more than a nano second to do something, and is it his fault that the running game is non existent ? ( which then doesn't help the pass game )

Having said that, someone like Mettenberger is interesting to me. Young, actually did pretty well stepping in for Locker last season, and now finds himself as backup due to Mariota. He at least is in a stage where he has shown something when starting and still has plenty of time to improve further.

Just a bit of ramble tbh, but when things are like this it's hard not to pontificate on a few whistful notions.

Once again, teams knew what exactly what was coming. On the interception by (former Lion) Corey Redding, the Arizona DL was yelling "Screen! Sceen!" as soon as he saw the formation and personnel set. At the time it was a 7-7 game. The Cardinals scored on the next play.

I really don't recall seeing anything like this, but this is several games in a row where you hear the defense calling out the plays. Not one or two but often.

How the eff does this happen?

This team needs to reboot (again). That means Stafford and Caldwell need to go. Just isn't working. I'd imagine they could get some wood for Stafford.
The team needs to be sold and moved to LA . The LA Lions.

Then award Detroit a new NFL franchise and start from scratch. Everything and everybody in the Lions front office is toxic and poisoned and needs to be cleansed. Tom Lewand the president has been there for 17 years of failure. Mayhew has been with the team just as long and was mentored by the worst GM in NFL history. Mayhew was Matt Millens right hand man for 8 years and now the GM for 7. Whow would ever hire the right hand man of a buffoon?? How these guys keeps their jobs is a question that has no logical answer. And to top if off Bill Ford Jr says his soon to be 91 year old mother Martha is calling all the shots now. Nobody ever knew there was a Martha Ford until Bill Sr. passed away.

I don't know if it's worse to be a Vikings fan where you have your hopes dashed seemingly every year or be a Lions fan where you have no hope to begin with. I really don't.

I honestly feel bad for fans of this team. Kudos that there even ARE any.

After reading so many posts about how they should get rid of Stafford, etc, I had a thought:

The same guys that were on the Falcons last year are still there now. The difference is almost 100% change in attitude and coaching. Do I think for a minute that Bruce Arians could get more out of Detroit? You bet.

The problem is not how we see the players play, it's the puppet masters pulling the strings.

Do you go to the games? Is anyone ever wide open? You watch just about any other game and there are plays where some WR is running free somewhere. You watch the Lions on TV and no one is ever wide open. I mean there is a guy clinging to the back pocket of ever pass thrown.

I wonder if you guys will be the first team in history to have 2 defeated season. As someone who dislikes the lions but just likes calvin and stafford kind of hope it happens so they fire your head coach/gm/all coaches and let stafford just wing it to calvin every game
Lions usually do well against the Bears. An dont worry once the Lions have the #1 pick in sight they will win the last 3 games.
Let Detroit get to 1 win, and then I couldn't care less what happens after that. Heck, I'd rather have wins than a high pick.

I don't know if it's worse to be a Vikings fan where you have your hopes dashed seemingly every year or be a Lions fan where you have no hope to begin with. I really don't.

I honestly feel bad for fans of this team. Kudos that there even ARE any.
Vikes at least can claim to be on the way up. Heck, this year they've got 2nd in the division all but given to them, and some potential for a playoff spot.

Honestly, games like yesterday make me wonder why I stay a Lions fan sometimes. Possibly because it feels bandwagony to switch now (I mean, Denver's often been my alternate team, but that's certainly riding a bandwagon). Anyone that can stay a fan after the 0-16 season deserves an award and/or psychological treatment, but there we are. If they go 0-16 again, they lose me for life (Like the Pistons, I'll be happy if they do well but not obsess over them) and I just concentrate on my fantasy teams. I'm basically already there this year.

Watching the NFL Network they were saying that due to all the scouting and advanced film breakdowns that most NFL defenses know pretty much what every offense does out of each set. Even though they might have knew a screen was coming the play was there and the receiver was wide open for what would have been a big play. Stafford threw a bad pass that was picked off. Stafford looks shell shocked and is playing with zero confidence right now. Tate and the WRs are showing signs of frustration by throwing their hands in the air and pouting. Things are bad.

Also the Lions are getting zero production from another draft class. Tomlinson the #1 pick is like a turnstile at OG, AA came into the league with fumbling concerns and has lived up to his billing. Right now the Lions do not trust AA and will probably go more to Zack Zenner an undrafted player.

someone on the radio just said that the head of scouting has been with the lions for 30 years. How on earth is that dude still employed?

what a joke
That's pathetic.
Tell the Fords a good story and mow their lawn on Saturdays and they will invite you to swing by the yacht club to watch them christen their new boat, let you swim in the country clubs pool for 15 minutes (once a year) and keep you on as a scout forever.

Seems like that brutal loss to seattle totally took the fight out of this team. And I agree, that must have been a heartbreaking one for them pretty much calling it their super bowl, playing on the road in a really tough place as big underdogs and maybe lost on a bad call. Not sure how they can get out of this funk but Chicago seems to be the best shot they've got.
Once upon a time, the Lions used to respond to adversity. Mike Utley, the constant threat of Fontes being fired, etc. Of course, that was when they had Chris Spielman leading the defense and there was some actual accountability for screwing up. Now, if so much as the air conditioning at Ford Field goes on the fritz, it's an immediate excuse for the team to mail it in for a month, if not the rest of the season.

someone on the radio just said that the head of scouting has been with the lions for 30 years. How on earth is that dude still employed?

what a joke
Mayhew and Lewand have been employed for 17 years of failure. If the Lions hire you unless you are convicted for murder you have a job forever. Mayhew and Lewand would never get another NFL job in the same position...EVER!! In fact no Lion front office or HC has ever been hired to do the same job in the NFL.

The Captain said:

what a joke
That's pathetic.
Tell the Fords a good story and mow their lawn on Saturdays and they will invite you to swing by the yacht club to watch them christen their new boat, let you swim in the country clubs pool for 15 minutes (once a year) and keep you on as a scout forever.
You forgot carry their golf clubs, Noonan.

The Captain said:

what a joke
That's pathetic.
http://www.detroitlions.com/team/staff/scott-mcewen/0ecd4e95-df5d-4b20-81da-3aae994b87fd

29 years - started around the time Russ Thomas retired. Thomas was actually a worse GM than Millen, very underrated football executive. He was a CPA, which is all you need to know.

So Scott MceWen actually got promoted this year. Isn't that amazing? Here's an article from about 7-8 years ago advising him "Hey, Scott - that shutdown corner you keep trying to find on Day Two? You might want to look in the first round. Cornerback is not a place you can skimp on talent."

http://www.ourlads.com/dayone/

Meanwhile, the best front office guy (Brian Xanders) languishes around 4th or 5th on the totem pole. The Lions have had considerable success with UDFA signing the day after the draft. They're gotten a ton of mileage out that $80K signing cap the last three years. That's ALL Xanders work. But no, go ahead and promote and champion the ####s who screw up the actual draft and salary cap.

The Captain said:

what a joke
That's pathetic.
http://www.detroitlions.com/team/staff/scott-mcewen/0ecd4e95-df5d-4b20-81da-3aae994b87fd

29 years - started around the time Russ Thomas retired. Thomas was actually a worse GM than Millen, very underrated football executive. He was a CPA, which is all you need to know.

So Scott MceWen actually got promoted this year. Isn't that amazing? Here's an article from about 7-8 years ago advising him "Hey, Scott - that shutdown corner you keep trying to find on Day Two? You might want to look in the first round. Cornerback is not a place you can skimp on talent."

http://www.ourlads.com/dayone/

Meanwhile, the best front office guy (Brian Xanders) languishes around 4th or 5th on the totem pole. The Lions have had considerable success with UDFA signing the day after the draft. They're gotten a ton of mileage out that $80K signing cap the last three years. That's ALL Xanders work. But no, go ahead and promote and champion the ####s who screw up the actual draft and salary cap.
No wonder Jr is not talking much..he has dropped a couple of notches on the totem pole.

There are 3 female owners in the NFL.

92 y.o. Virginia Halas McCaskey

90 y.o. Martha Firestone Ford

Carol Davis

Just a coincidence that's three of the sorriest franchises, right?

You've heard of a 'must win' game. For Calvin owners, Lions fans everywhere and fantasy football in general, Sunday's matchup is the epitome of a 'must lose' game.

The Captain said:

what a joke
That's pathetic.
Don't forget you get to bang the slutty niece.

Shutout said:
After reading so many posts about how they should get rid of Stafford, etc, I had a thought:

The same guys that were on the Falcons last year are still there now. The difference is almost 100% change in attitude and coaching. Do I think for a minute that Bruce Arians could get more out of Detroit? You bet.

The problem is not how we see the players play, it's the puppet masters pulling the strings.
I would take Matt Ryan every day of the week over Stafford.

Regardless of who is coach.

BobbyLayne said:

If this was the case and Arizona knew it was gonna be a pre-snap screen to Abdullah The right outside DE ran and stun inside with Redding who (intercepted the ball) So if the right DE knew it was a screen what purpose would it severed him to run away from the direction of the screen?

Secondly, OL blocking redding did a horrible job. Redding got the jump on him and he attempted to push Redding into where the screen was developing instead of away or just stopping his penetration all together.

As Redding starts to break off of the OL's block. You can see Abdullah's head turned around awaiting a pass and Stafford cocking his arm back with his body angled toward him.

This was nothing more then bad execution n by the Lions and a great play by Redding.

Like I said don't believe everything Tate says.. cause according to him we should cheer this team on with every loss and every INT.

BobbyLayne said:

If this was the case and Arizona knew it was gonna be a pre-snap screen to Abdullah The right outside DE ran and stun inside with Redding who (intercepted the ball) So if the right DE knew it was a screen what purpose would it severed him to run away from the direction of the screen?

Secondly, OL blocking redding did a horrible job. Redding got the jump on him and he attempted to push Redding into where the screen was developing instead of away or just stopping his penetration all together.

As Redding starts to break off of the OL's block. You can see Abdullah's head turned around awaiting a pass and Stafford cocking his arm back with his body angled toward him.

This was nothing more then bad execution n by the Lions and a great play by Redding.

Like I said don't believe everything Tate says.. cause according to him we should cheer this team on with every loss and every INT.
That story came from Arians & Redding in the postgame, not Tate. Maybe they're lying and just made it up.

:shrug:

Where do the Lions go from here? Is there any chance ownership blows this thing up and moves on from Stafford soon?The
The Fords? Only 0-16 might be enough to chance Head Coaches. I'm guessing some changes happen after maybe a 3 win season.

I could see throwing Stafford to the curb, though. He's on the books until 2017, but that's "only" 5.5 mil per, which isn't a lot for a QB. Still, WCF may be dead but his cheapness lives on, so no guarantees here.

(semi-realistic: 35% chance to beat a Chicago team lucky to be 2-3. 15% to beat Minnesota assuming they're healthy. 50/50 to beat KC w/o Charles. Otherwise probably no chance until the last 3 weeks, even with Philly somewhat of a mess. Thread title should be the quest for Owen)
The Fords. Sell the team to a winning culture owner. The Lions must change their culture.

BobbyLayne said:

Forward down the field,
A charging team that will not yield.
And when the Blue and Silver wave,
Stand and cheer the brave.
Rah, Rah, Rah.
Go hard, win the game.
With honor you will keep your fame.
Down the field and gain,
A Lion victory!
GO LIONS!

BobbyLayne said:

That story came from Arians & Redding in the postgame, not Tate. Maybe they're lying and just made it up.

:shrug:
Well Joseph Fauria is now on the Cardinals too and was a late cut by the Lions. I am sure they picked his brain also at the start of the week

Stanford 405 yards 4 TDs 6-37 rushing 3 completions over 40 yards

More FF points than Weeks 1-2 or Weeks 3-5 combined

Not sure the line played much better as Bears can't stop the run but 155 yards rushing equals a win almost every time

Highest total offense output in the NFL this season

Live from Allen Park! The Jim Caldwell Comedy Hour:

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell's Monday press conference wrapping up his team's 37-34 overtime win against the Chicago Bears.

Well, the winless streak is finally over and the Lions (1-5) are now looking to climb back to respectability.

Up next, Detroit hosts Minnesota. The Vikings (3-2) are coming off a 16-10 against the Kansas City Chiefs. The division rivals already met once this season, with Minnesota coming away with the 26-16 home victory in Week 2.

-- As usual, Caldwell opens up talking about looking at the film. He says, team is never as good as you think you are after a win. He's pleased with the way his team fought and got it done. He thanks the fans for their support throughout the game.

-- Zach Zenner suffered multiple broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. He's hospitalized and will be placed on injured reserve.

-- Caldwell said Zenner is improving. The team hasn't made a decision on promoting George Winn.

-- On Matthew Stafford's rebound performance, Caldwell says, "That's what leaders do."

-- Caldwell says the team has many leaders and multiple guys speak up every week about issues and encouraging teammates. These are natural dynamics on football teams, even though fans and media only hear about a small fraction of it.

-- Caldwell says Tomlinson is making strides, but has plenty of room for improvement.

-- Tim Wright has a high ceiling and was an iron man for the Lions on Sunday.

-- The coach rejects a pair of questions that suggest this win can be a springboard to a winning streak.

-- Caldwell liked Stafford's decision-making when it came to running the football. Still, the coach said he'd like his quarterback to be judicious when it comes to scrambling.

-- Caldwell says the team isn't constructed to be a dominant rushing team, but it has to be effective enough to be respected. When it's respected, it opens things up in the passing game.

-- Caldwell won't commit to Calvin Johnson continuing to be the focal point of the offense. "Every week is different."

-- Players are off today for "victory Monday." Caldwell says it gives him and the coaching staff an additional four hours to do film work.

-- Brandon Pettigrew's injury popped up during the team's walk through on Saturday. He wasn't able to work through it Sunday morning.

-- There's no update on Jason Jones injury.

-- Caldwell said part of coaching is your always one call away from national ridicule.

ONE call away from ridicule. So in Caldwell's case, the first playcall of any given game?

I really do think that not only would he take the wind in overtime, he'd take the wind even if the Lions were playing indoors at Ford Field.

3 things:

Maybe the Lions were right about the deep ball all along.

Joe Lombardi took a lot of heat for not dialing up more of them in the first month of the season, but insisted they'd go deep more if Matthew Stafford had the time to do so. Then Stafford was pressured on just 15 of his 49 dropbacks against Chicago -- a 30.6 percent clip, down from the season average of 38.3 percent -- and voila, Detroit took eight shots of at least 20 yards. Lance Moore caught three of them, while Calvin Johnson snagged two more, including the 57-yard missile that set up Matt Prater's winning field goal. And here's the encouraging thing: This improvement isn't a one-game anomaly. Since Stafford was pressured on 42.9 percent of his dropbacks against the Broncos, that number has fallen to 34.3 percent against Seattle, to 33.3 percent against Arizona, to 30.6 percent against Chicago. And, hey, the Lions also nearly tripled their previous season best on the ground with 155 rushing yards. This offensive line, which has taken so much heat, could really be getting better.

First-round pick Laken Tomlinson is definitely getting better.

He did not allow so much as a QB hurry against Chicago, let alone a hit or sack, and did so while playing all 81 snaps. That was a huge upgrade from some of his early-season performances, when he allowed three QB hits and 10 QB hurries in his first four career games and never earned a positive grade from ProFootballFocus. Detroit didn't have any choice but to throw him out there, though, with regular left guard Manny Ramirez replacing the injured Larry Warford on the right side. Warford returned against Chicago -- and yet, Detroit opted to bench Ramirez, who had been the team's best offensive lineman, to keep Tomlinson in the lineup. Tomlinson rewarded the coaches' faith in him with a huge performance. He was, according to PFF, the offense's best player of the day.

The Lions might have found their third receiver.

They haven't had anyone step into the role in a consistent way under this regime, but Lance Moore's monster game suggests he could be the guy if Stafford continues to have the time to find him. Moore racked up 106 yards on five catches against Chicago, and three of those grabs led directly to scores. He's had big seasons before, including a 1,000-yarder in 2012. Any contribution he can provide to complement Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate will help this offense continue its upward trajectory.

^^^ excellent post.

How much fun is Riddick to watch btw ? I'm a big fan of his. Yes it's hard to imagine him being run up the guts 15 plus times a game, but with Zenner downed, Bell broken and Abdullah fumbling why not give him the chance to stake a claim ? 8 carries at an average of 4 yards this week is a reasonable start.

Man, love watching him cut about in the open field he's just so shifty and elusive.

^^^ excellent post.

How much fun is Riddick to watch btw ? I'm a big fan of his. Yes it's hard to imagine him being run up the guts 15 plus times a game, but with Zenner downed, Bell broken and Abdullah fumbling why not give him the chance to stake a claim ? 8 carries at an average of 4 yards this week is a reasonable start.

Man, love watching him cut about in the open field he's just so shifty and elusive.
Well, he's a converted WR. He should be shifty. I'm not high on him as a runner.

Pretty sure Winn will be active going forward. I don't think he or Bell warrant heavy usage but they'll be sprinkled in.

Lombardi called the game from the coaches box instead of the sideline. Leave him there.

Lions gave up way too many long sustained drives. Need to find ways to bring more pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread