What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (30 Viewers)

Per Rapaport on Twitter

#Lions hired Jim Bob Cooter away from the #Broncos, Peyton Manning was very upset. He was a valued part of his preparation.
That must have been old, from when came over from Denver to Detroit after the 2013 season.

How did I not know about a guy with this name in the league!?

And no more Sunday Night Football games are scheduled to allow for a classic Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show Superlatives segment starring Mr. Cooter?! Can they still flex? Make it happen NBC!

There's an story from the off-season that might have foreshadowed this a bit:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/02/24/detroit-lions-jim-bob-cooter/23933691/&ved=0CB4QFjACahUKEwiH6Pjuh-HIAhUJSyYKHeUqBR4&usg=AFQjCNFfy6Dxcou_-yj0fkk81-YDv5kxPw&sig2=wFEcUovRTPmxCsyDDhWb0g

Maybe they had this in mind for a while, or at least as a back-up plan?

Writer from TN tweeted:

Jim Bob Cooter is seriously one of the smartest guys Ive ever covered. Got a 35 on his ACT back in the day. Will be a head coach one day.

ProTip: We once hired an executive because he scored a 42 on the Wonderlic - highest result we'd ever seen. As it turned out, that guy didn't know #### about running his department.

We no longer utilize the Wonderlic in our hiring process.

Being intelligent is a tool. Not everyone who is a genius is effective at their livelihood.

Jim Bob Cooter. ......this is amazing. Was he found at a bar in Tennessee?
Well he is a UT grad...

He's the Quarterbacks coach. Been on the staff a few years. Was a coach on John Fox's Broncos before that. Fox wanted to hire him as the Bears OC, Mayhew denied the interview request.

Coach3K said:
Mighty Mice said:
Per Rapaport on Twitter

#Lions hired Jim Bob Cooter away from the #Broncos, Peyton Manning was very upset. He was a valued part of his preparation.
That must have been old, from when came over from Denver to Detroit after the 2013 season.

How did I not know about a guy with this name in the league!?

And no more Sunday Night Football games are scheduled to allow for a classic Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show Superlatives segment starring Mr. Cooter?! Can they still flex? Make it happen NBC!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/02/24/detroit-lions-jim-bob-cooter/23933691/&ved=0CB4QFjACahUKEwiH6Pjuh-HIAhUJSyYKHeUqBR4&usg=AFQjCNFfy6Dxcou_-yj0fkk81-YDv5kxPw&sig2=wFEcUovRTPmxCsyDDhWb0g

That headline - "'Phenomenal' Cooter too valuable for Lions to let go" :lmao:

I had a friend whose uncle and aunt were named **** and BJ respectively. That might be the only other name situation I've been in that is this amusing.

Having said that, I bet he's awesome. Think of having this name and trying to get/keep a job. It's like those 70s women CEOs--worked three times as hard (and were 3+ times better) as everyone else because of the perception.

Coach3K said:
Mighty Mice said:
Per Rapaport on Twitter

That must have been old, from when came over from Denver to Detroit after the 2013 season.How did I not know about a guy with this name in the league!?

That headline - "'Phenomenal' Cooter too valuable for Lions to let go" :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jim Bob got into some trouble a few years ago when he climbed through a woman's window in TN, stripped down to his underwear and got into bed with her. She called the cops and they arrested him. Strong move in my opinion, he referred to it as Cooter Hunting.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/49623477.html
Related:DUI arrest a few years before that.

Guess he was about 22 & 25 when that went down. Have no idea if he can coach but that's pretty damn impressive he put that bull#### behind. Seriously, that's the kind of stuff that wrecks a guys life sometimes.

So it seems like the career trajectory was: UT backup QB, alcoholic, got his #### together, couple years as a grad assistant at UT, parlayed that into a Colts gig, worked with Peyton & whoever Mannibg was coaching back then for 3 years, a year at KC when Manning was out & having surgeries, another year with Manning at Denver, hired by Detroit last year.

Viòla - NFL OC at age 31. It's not what you know it's who you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Bob got into some trouble a few years ago when he climbed through a woman's window in TN, stripped down to his underwear and got into bed with her. She called the cops and they arrested him. Strong move in my opinion, he referred to it as Cooter Hunting.

Guess he was about 22 & 25 when that went down. Have no idea if he can coach but that's pretty damn impressive he put that bull#### behind. Seriously, that's the kind of stuff that wrecks a guys life sometimes.

So it seems like the career trajectory was: UT backup QB, alcoholic, got his #### together, couple years as a grad assistant at UT, parlayed that into a Colts gig, worked with Peyton & whoever Mannibg was coaching back then for 3 years, a year at KC when Manning was out & having surgeries, another year with Manning at Denver, hired by Detroit last year.

Sounds like this Cooter is a little shy on experience for your taste.

Sounds like this Cooter is a little shy on experience for your taste.
On the contrary; I admire a Cooter brave enough to take a big one challenge.

"...Caldwell said he was not concerned with Cooter's lack of experience...."
A golf buddy of mine (Ford engineer) posted a picture of him and Bill Jr on FB last night. It was from the Oakwood in Dearborn, presumably some company event.

We were killing him in the comments section for being a ####ey and not asking like 30 questions in a row about JBC.

If I were an NFL announcer covering the Lions I would say Jim Bob Cooter at least as often as Phil Simms says Talked About It.

Pulling for you guys to turn it around but... Jim Bob Cooter? How old is he? I guess Caldwell will be calling the plays anyway?

I don't sense this changing things like we've seen in Miami.

How much do you learn as an offensive assistant in a Manning offense, a lot or a little?

Gameplan: Insert Peyton Manning as starting QB. Step 2: watch.

How much do you learn as an offensive assistant in a Manning offense, a lot or a little?

We always hear this, usually in conjunction with Adam Gase, but I've never bought it. Do you really think a perfectionist like Peyton Manning is going to say, "I don't care who you give me as a coach. I'll just do my own thing"? Or do you think he's going to demand smart people who can help give him an edge. IMO, if he's good enough to earn Manning's approval, that's a huge plus.

Two pages of comments on JBC and no one has yet wondered if Cooter is going to introduce the spread?

Seriously, sometimes it's like you guys aren't even trying ...

Pulling for you guys to turn it around but... Jim Bob Cooter? How old is he? I guess Caldwell will be calling the plays anyway?

I don't sense this changing things like we've seen in Miami.
He's 31, second youngest OC in the NFL. He'll be calling the plays. This will be his first time calling plays at any level.

Agreed.

I imagine while you don't coach a guy up when you have a Peyton Manning, at the same time he might be one of the greatest unofficial player-coaches of all-time. He's constantly going over stuff with his lineman and receivers; Peyton is always coaching his teammates. For a young coach trying to understand what it takes at the highest level, probably no better experience than watching Manning in his prime.

Stafford has a lot of praise for JBC for how he changed his footwork and mechanics. Matthew has sucked at ball security this year but in his first year he cut his turnovers way down, and his completion percentages in 2014 & 2015 are two of the three best seasons he's had over seven years.

Just funny how when they hired Lombardi he was this great offense mind who was a big part of the Saints success. They had the Drew Brees endorsement.

Now he is being replaced by Jim Bob Cooter. A great young offense mind.. Peyton Manning didn't want him to leave. Blah blah blah

Let's see results not hype.

So any serious thoughts on how this will impact the offense?

So far this season, Detroit has almost been a fantasy wasteland:

Calvin has scored the past two weeks, but he's only gotten 20 targets the past three games in regulation (he got 3 targets in OT in week 6).

Tate is catching an uncharacteristically low 55% of his targets and averaging a Landry-esque 9.4 ypr.

Abdullah only played 12 snaps last week and got zero targets. Averaging a Richardson-esque 3.6 ypc.

Bell also only played 12 snaps last week.

Riddick has been getting a ton of work.

Ebron has actually been making the most of his targets - catching over 70% and turning 3 of 20 rec into TDs.

Any chance some aspect of this offense improves against a decent KC defense this week?

FF Ninja, on 28 Oct 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:FF Ninja, on 28 Oct 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:So any serious thoughts on how this will impact the offense?

Calvin has scored the past two weeks, but he's only gotten 20 targets the past three games in regulation (he got 3 targets in OT in week 6).

Tate is catching an uncharacteristically low 55% of his targets and averaging a Landry-esque 9.4 ypr.

Abdullah only played 12 snaps last week and got zero targets. Averaging a Richardson-esque 3.6 ypc.

Ebron has actually been making the most of his targets - catching over 70% and turning 3 of 20 rec into TDs.

Any chance some aspect of this offense improves against a decent KC defense this week?
Ebrons 55 yard catch was a blown coverage by the Vikings so I would not read too much into that. There was not a defender within 20 yards of Ebron. Gnata could have gone 55 yards on that one. Lions have lost faith in Abdulla in the second half of games due to his fumbling problems. Actually Riddick has looked better than any Lion RB and is getting more reps. Tate is the one I am looking for more production out of. Right now though he looks like he has been Lionized and not playing with the same passion as before.

FF Ninja, on 28 Oct 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:FF Ninja, on 28 Oct 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:So any serious thoughts on how this will impact the offense?

Ebrons 55 yard catch was a blown coverage by the Vikings so I would not read too much into that. There was not a defender within 20 yards of Ebron. Gnata could have gone 55 yards on that one. Lions have lost faith in Abdulla in the second half of games due to his fumbling problems. Actually Riddick has looked better than any Lion RB and is getting more reps. Tate is the one I am looking for more production out of. Right now though he looks like he has been Lionized and not playing with the same passion as before.
Ok, so if we remove Ebron's productivity then that just leaves Riddick who is basically doing what Earnest Graham and other mop up duty artists have done in the past, so I'm not too impressed with his aggregate stats. The bottom line is that every phase of the offense could improve and every player could be better utilized. Do we have any father in Jim Bob to actually do that? Would be nice to see Calvin and Tate resume getting 10 and 8 targets respectively and to see Abdullah getting used in the passing game. I feel like this offense has bottomed out so it would be difficult to not improve, but KC might not be the best defense to face while trying something new.

So any serious thoughts on how this will impact the offense?

Beat writer speculation is with a young, relatively inexperienced line they were running blocking schemes that were too complicated. Cooter might simplify the schematic approach.

:shrug:

I dunno. If you can count to six you ought to be able to recognize you need a pickup & a hot route. Am I nuts for thinking a QB with 84 GS/7 years experience might be able to handle that?

Beat writer speculation is with a young, relatively inexperienced line they were running blocking schemes that were too complicated. Cooter might simplify the schematic approach.
If he's smart he will. They have a line full of mauler types and they were zone blocking, which makes zero sense. A more traditional scheme could really help the run game, which in turn would open things up downfield for Calvin.

Of course I'm not sure we even want that to happen at this point. Best thing might be the total crash and burn, get the high draft pick and clean house.

If he's smart he will. They have a line full of mauler types and they were zone blocking, which makes zero sense. A more traditional scheme could really help the run game, which in turn would open things up downfield for Calvin.

Of course I'm not sure we even want that to happen at this point. Best thing might be the total crash and burn, get the high draft pick and clean house.
So you're saying you'd like to see them just tear everything out at the roots so it's completely bare, and the only thing left is Cooter?

Users who are viewing this thread