What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (32 Viewers)

Safe uninspiring pick. Apparent pass protection flaws leave me questioning this choice, but I like what I have read about his character and solidity in the run game.

I dunno, I think I would have gone with Lawson, Kelly or Jack here. Or traded down.

C Jones, K Dodd, Ogbah, Billings, Bullard, Robinson, Cravens, Reed, Spence, Jack, Alexander, Ragland, Calhoun, 

Thats 13 guys and I'm presuming that more than one of them are going to be available to us when you add in WRs, OL to the list of people that might be taken in front of us.

Spriggs, L Clark, D Henry, H Henry, Cook, Whitehair, Boyd, S Coleman, Correia

9 odd guys that could get selected before us that we probably don't want or need right now.

Damn I wish we still had our normal 3rd round pick to go alongside our 3rd round comp pick.

Safe uninspiring pick. Apparent pass protection flaws leave me questioning this choice, but I like what I have read about his character and solidity in the run game.

I dunno, I think I would have gone with Lawson, Kelly or Jack here. Or traded down.
The question is do you want the 4th best tackle or the top center? Given the fact that it looks like Swanson needs to be replaced they still need a center. Kelly is projected to be an All-Pro type of player.

On the Lion website O`Hara and 20man said "Decker has great leadership qualities, Decker should run for congress one day" Did not say much about his playing ability.  That is the same as when if you ask if your blind date is good looking and your friends say....well she has a great personality. 

That was the area he was projected to go around so time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this much DLine talent still available, I'm ok with the pick.  Hopefully Swanson can improve (can't get worst and it was his first year starting) or they could pick up Glascow/Martin later for competition.  They needed a OT in a bad way.

They showed a picture of the Lions War Room.  At the main table they had 91 year old Martha, her 85 year old sister, her 60 year old daughter, and Rod Wood sitting with Quinn and Caldwell.  4 of the 6 know nothing about drafting football players.  5 of 6 if you include Caldwell.

It was frightening.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw a Taylor Decker comparison of Jon Runyan and would be more than happy with that.  not a sexy pick, but if he can man a tackle spot for the next 10 years, I'll take it. 

With this much DLine talent still available, I'm ok with the pick.  Hopefully Swanson can improve (can't get worst and it was his first year starting) or they could pick up Glascow/Martin later for competition.  They needed a OT in a bad way.
Boom

I still wonder if drafting Decker isn't trying to solve their LT problems by drafting a RT. But Robinson feels like a steal, and makes going for T instead of D-Line appear to be a golden move. They still need some DB help, but you can't fault the Lions for trying to fix the O-line. 

Or maybe it just feels weird that Detroit hasn't drafted a WR/RB/TE through 3 rounds.

I still wonder if drafting Decker isn't trying to solve their LT problems by drafting a RT. But Robinson feels like a steal, and makes going for T instead of D-Line appear to be a golden move. They still need some DB help, but you can't fault the Lions for trying to fix the O-line. 

Or maybe it just feels weird that Detroit hasn't drafted a WR/RB/TE through 3 rounds.
I think longterm they see Decker as a LT, but I am sure he is a RT for the near future. 

I think longterm they see Decker as a LT, but I am sure he is a RT for the near future. 
What I love about both O-lineman is the potential for versatility. Decker is a better run blocker but seems to understand his weaknesses as a pass protector (little too upright with his pad level); if they coach him up he could move over since Reif is in his last year. Tons of injuries along the line last year, Glasgow can play C or either G. Love his work ethic; he matured a lot at Michigan (he roomed with his Grandma his senior year.) There seems to be some who question Robinson's passion but that was a great value pick.

What I love about both O-lineman is the potential for versatility. Decker is a better run blocker but seems to understand his weaknesses as a pass protector (little too upright with his pad level); if they coach him up he could move over since Reif is in his last year. Tons of injuries along the line last year, Glasgow can play C or either G. Love his work ethic; he matured a lot at Michigan (he roomed with his Grandma his senior year.) There seems to be some who question Robinson's passion but that was a great value pick.
No issues with taking versatile OL. Physically, Robinson was born to play DT, but there is obviously something mentally that's not 100% because he could have been a top 15 pick. At best, he becomes a fully motivated All Pro. At worst, he is a solid 2 down run stopper. It's a value and pretty safe. It is hard to see Robinson not being able to have some success just based purely on his physicality. 

Targets today ? 

S - Cash, Killebrew

LB - Wright, Perry, Brown, Brothers 

DE - Judon, Tapper, Blair 

WR - Peake, Cooper 

CB - White, Young, Miller 

cant see see is going DT again but Henry, Billings, Ridgway still there. 

Mayhew could be OKAY at drafting linemen at times his biggest problem to me was the odd absolute brain fart in the first round ( Ebron ) and minus 2013 a complete and utter black hole in rounds 2-4 where he would take massive risks that didn't pay off. 

Targets today ? 

S - Cash, Killebrew

LB - Wright, Perry, Brown, Brothers 

DE - Judon, Tapper, Blair 

WR - Peake, Cooper 

CB - White, Young, Miller 

cant see see is going DT again but Henry, Billings, Ridgway still there. 

Mayhew could be OKAY at drafting linemen at times his biggest problem to me was the odd absolute brain fart in the first round ( Ebron ) and minus 2013 a complete and utter black hole in rounds 2-4 where he would take massive risks that didn't pay off. 
Take billings. Besides ashawn the rest of the dt core is meh

The Captain said:
Don't know anything about him but I love that they are restocking the oline. 

Now some defensive depth would be nice. 

I could see them grabbing Chubb or Fournette next year. 
FWIW, PFF rated him as the #1 pass blocking tackle in the draft. 

Next year, I really hope we don't spend a 1st round pick on a RB, it just does not make sense. There will be too many talented DBs year not to be smart and get one IMO. 

I posted this already in the draft thread. The Lions made 6 picks in the first 5 rounds...and did not take a skill player. They picked 3 offensive linemen, a defensive tackle, a strong safety, and a linebacker. All 6 are big, physical, hard-nosed players. It's apparent what kind of team Quinn wants and, *gasp*, he actually has a plan. It is definitely something new here. 

This Lion fan approves.  :thumbup:

Waldman really likes Dwayne Washington (late round RB from Washington). He said he is one of the most physically gifted backs, but is super raw. He's big, 6-2 220+ but has breakaway speed and a track background. It could be an interesting player to watch. 

Waldman really likes Dwayne Washington (late round RB from Washington). He said he is one of the most physically gifted backs, but is super raw. He's big, 6-2 220+ but has breakaway speed and a track background. It could be an interesting player to watch. 
He is the exact kind of player I like to see taken late in a draft. Lots of upside with little if any risk. 

He is the exact kind of player I like to see taken late in a draft. Lots of upside with little if any risk. 
For me the only head scratcher is the long snapper. Why not take a plunge on a project player with upside like a Darius Jackson or Devin Fuller. They might never be able to put t together, but the athletic traits are there so that if they do hit, they can hit big. 

For me the only head scratcher is the long snapper. Why not take a plunge on a project player with upside like a Darius Jackson or Devin Fuller. They might never be able to put t together, but the athletic traits are there so that if they do hit, they can hit big. 
Agree with this. Despite that pick I think the Lions had a very good draft. 

They also signed Baylor WR Jay Lee. 
That is pretty solid and somewhat makes up for the stupid snapper pick. Lee is  6-2 with 4.53 speed and al around decent solid athletic numbers.  Lance Zeirlein had him as a 4th or 5th round pick and graded above many WRs drafted. He gave him an equal grade to guys like Caroo, Braverman, Burbidge, etc. Sounds like he could be a guy that sticks. 

That is pretty solid and somewhat makes up for the stupid snapper pick. Lee is  6-2 with 4.53 speed and al around decent solid athletic numbers.  Lance Zeirlein had him as a 4th or 5th round pick and graded above many WRs drafted. He gave him an equal grade to guys like Caroo, Braverman, Burbidge, etc. Sounds like he could be a guy that sticks. 
I read somewhere that their reasoning for taking a long snapper was that one would be unlikely to come as a UDFA because of Muhlbach being here. I still don't like the pick but it's a minor thing to me. There are UDFAs (like Jay Lee) that are just as good as players you can get in the late rounds.

Mulbach has been around for a while, the longer you're in the league the higher the veteran minimum gets, so maybe that's why we picked a ls. Seems like every player we have acquired through free agency/draft fits some sort of role/need. Special teams will look quite different- and has always been a weak unit.

Lions selected Baylor LS Jimmy Landes with the No. 210 overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft.
Landes is a long snapper. The Lions plan to use him for snaps that are longer than normal snaps.Apr 30 - 5:12 PM
Gotta love that analysis.  Can't wait to see some of those longer than normal snaps.

Lions fans, am I wrong for thinking Zach Zenner has the inside shot at Joique Bell's role from last year? I feel like he's being overlooked in fantasy. I know Ridley was signed but he seems like a JAG.  Thoughts?

Lions fans, am I wrong for thinking Zach Zenner has the inside shot at Joique Bell's role from last year? I feel like he's being overlooked in fantasy. I know Ridley was signed but he seems like a JAG.  Thoughts?
I think it's tough to find value in our backfield or work out who gets what. You've got ....

Riddick - Ton of receptions and may even operate out of slot at times next season. Value in ppr 

Abdullah - You'd have to expect he will improve this year and get more touches. Given Riddick has performed well in his role I see Abdullahs uptick coming from more standard Bell-esque carries. 

Zenner - Hard to know about him. When Bell was out he was given some carries after an impressive pre season but very quickly got a season ending injury 

Ridley - I'm someone who rates Ridley and was glad to see him come in. I think he could do well another year on from his injury. Quinn must know him pretty well. 

Washington - 7th round draft pick. Raw with some nice measurables. 

Wynn - Has filled in on occasion but his chances of ever seeing the field again look remote. 

Tough to decipher which way it goes between Zenner and Ridley 

Neither wrong nor right. I don't even think the Lions know exactly how the backfield will breakdown. I assume it's going to be a 4 way committee.

Users who are viewing this thread