What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (11 Viewers)

Mulbach has been around for a while, the longer you're in the league the higher the veteran minimum gets, so maybe that's why we picked a ls. Seems like every player we have acquired through free agency/draft fits some sort of role/need. Special teams will look quite different- and has always been a weak unit.
Last year's 6th rounders made about 460K and Muhlbach, who is 34 years old, makes 1.065 million. Saving a potential 600K is probably the reason they drafted him.

After numerous clock blunders in his career the Lions have hired a "clock management" coach to help Caldwell run the game.
More teams should do this. Seriously. It can easily make the difference in a game and it helps to have the perspective of someone dedicated to only one task.

Kubiak could've used this and a dedicated "challenges coach". I personally could have won them a Colts game by telling them to snap and spike the ball before the 2 minute time out which gave the Colts a chance to watch replays and realize that Houston had fumbled for a touchback rather than the call on the field of out of bounds. Schaub had the guys lined up with about 10-15 second on the play clock, but Kubiak didn't like the play call so he had everyone walk back to the sideline and let the clock wind down to 2:00. Clock management coach and/or a replay/challenges coach would've made the difference right there.

Looking over the schedule it seems like Weeks 4-8 will be the key to the season.

They'll likely start off 1-2, with road losses to the Colts & Pack. That will make the Week 4 game on Chicago (who they have owned the last several seasons) critical. Then it's three straight winnable match ups at home. Throw in the Week 8 matchup v. the Texans and you could see them going 4-1 to reach 5-3 at the halfway point. Week 9 is the always tough @ MIN game. So best case they head into the bye at 5-4 and in the thick of the WC hunt.

Just hoping the December 18 game at METLIFE (I'll be there) is meaningful.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has to be the deepest receiving core the Lions have had in awhile with Tate, Jones, Boldin, Theo, Ameer and Ebron. I don't think the offense will miss Calvin. I think we are going for a Pats style offense. Jones will likely be the only one fixed outside. We will see every other player move all over. 

This has to be the deepest receiving core the Lions have had in awhile with Tate, Jones, Boldin, Theo, Ameer and Ebron. I don't think the offense will miss Calvin. I think we are going for a Pats style offense. Jones will likely be the only one fixed outside. We will see every other player move all over. 
Yeah I could def see Ebron being a move TE and lining up in the slot or outside. He's a very good route runner.

A lot of people are really high on Tate in FF but I think this year will be a repeat of last year - he'll catch a lot of balls within 3 yards of the LOS or behind it, and put up another Amedola-when-healthy kind of line. 125 targets, 85-95 / 800-875 / 3-5 ish type stuff. Not exactly what you hope for from your 4th round pick, who you probably hoping is an upside guy who morphs into a high WR2 instead of a borderline WR3/4 (FF purposes.)

I could be wrong but I don't really see any of the skill position players besides the TE having a Pro Bowl type year. But as a group, spreading it around like the Pats or the Saints at their peak, this could be a very effective offense. Stafford had some awesome 2nd half numbers under Cooter.

After the London disaster and people were getting fired left and right, Stafford over his last 8 games (6-2):

205/293 69.97%  2179 7.44 YPA 19 TDs 2 INT

Same personnel so give the credit to Cooter. 

First half:

193/299 64.55% 2083 6.97 YPA 13 TDs 11 INT

ETA: Man Lombardi was an awful OC.

BobbyLayne said:
After the London disaster and people were getting fired left and right, Stafford over his last 8 games (6-2):

205/293 69.97%  2179 7.44 YPA 19 TDs 2 INT

Same personnel so give the credit to Cooter. 

First half:

193/299 64.55% 2083 6.97 YPA 13 TDs 11 INT

ETA: Man Lombardi was an awful OC.
SoS might also have had a big role in that. First half we played SD, MIN 2x, DEN, SEA, ARI, CHI, KC.  Second half. GB 2x, OAK, PHI, STL, NO, SF, CHI

I don't know how the money is compared to other CBs, but glad he will be around for a while (from Scheffer):

CB Darius Slay and Detroit Lions agreed to a 4-year extension worth $50.2N with $23M fully guaranteed at signing, per source.

I don't know how the money is compared to other CBs, but glad he will be around for a while (from Scheffer):

CB Darius Slay and Detroit Lions agreed to a 4-year extension worth $50.2N with $23M fully guaranteed at signing, per source.
Love this deal. We get Slay ages 25-29 for $23 guaranteed. Norman is in DC ages 28-32 for $50 guaranteed. We had to make this move. 

Looking for homer info on two items:

-- Cheerleaders

-- Four pound donuts @ Ford Field

Defense, with every starter in except Carey & Levy, looked like trash.

FF Owners are drafting the wrong WR.

Decker is leaving himself plenty of upside.

Looking for homer info on two items:

-- Cheerleaders

-- Four pound donuts @ Ford Field

Defense, with every starter in except Carey & Levy, looked like trash.

FF Owners are drafting the wrong WR.

Decker is leaving himself plenty of upside.
Saw the cheerladers they were just in tee shirts n shorts.

What wr are you referring too? I think this is wrbc. With any of tate jones n boldin looking solid week to week. We all know they cant run it

Saw the cheerladers they were just in tee shirts n shorts.

What wr are you referring too? I think this is wrbc. With any of tate jones n boldin looking solid week to week. We all know they cant run it
I think Tate will lead the team in targets but won't do much with it. Wouldn't be surprised if Marvin Jones has more yards and twice as many TDs as Golden.

Boldin seems like he'll be the 4th or 5th option on this team, but he's had a pretty special career. Will be interesting to see how much is left in the tank.

If Ebron is healthy I think he's going to shut a lot of people up.

Can't run the ball at all and the defense sans Levy is not good. I'm down on their chances to crack .500 this year.

I think Tate will lead the team in targets but won't do much with it. Wouldn't be surprised if Marvin Jones has more yards and twice as many TDs as Golden.

Boldin seems like he'll be the 4th or 5th option on this team, but he's had a pretty special career. Will be interesting to see how much is left in the tank.

If Ebron is healthy I think he's going to shut a lot of people up.

Can't run the ball at all and the defense sans Levy is not good. I'm down on their chances to crack .500 this year.
 I wont count Boldin out until he retires.  I'd bet on him out producing his ADP by a quite a bit.

Or Washington time. 

Our line hasnt looked great so far. As expected it will take time to gel, but the left hand side has looked weak and Swanson still not looking great. Right hand side with Rieff and Warford has been best. 

Just for once I'd like to see Stafford with a good O line and decent personnel around him to see what he can do. Hopefully it improves quickly this season 

Or Washington time. 

Our like hasnt looked great so far. As expected it will take time to gel, but the left hand side has looked weak and Swanson still not looking great. Right hand side with Rieff and Warford has been best. 

Just for once I'd like to see Stafford with a good O line and decent personnel around him to see what he can do. Hopefully it improves quickly this season 
I expected Taylor Decker to struggle early the scouting report said he's too uptight / back on his heels in pass pro. But he hasn't looked run blocking either - he's not used to guys being this quick. It's early, hopefully he gets better.

Swanson is a sieve and the rookie C isn't ready.

People thinking they're picking up sleepers in AA & Stafford might be disappointed. But hopefully Ebron gets healthy. He could flourish.

Anxious to watch the no-huddle they have been running 62% of the time (7% last season.)

Reports from Austin & teammates is Levy is better than he was in 2014. Think they're holding him out the entire preseason but he's the key.

If it goes south I expect Caldwell to be fired & Matt Patricia will be the HC next year. Deep RB class next year.

Definitely like Stafford this year in the 10th plus. Don't think our D is going to be great this year, the line looks decent but the second there's any injuries the fall off is big. Can see us chucking it a ton this year from behind, and although the O line isn't top notch, Stafford is of a certain level and has the weapons to put up good numbers.

Big fan of Ebron in rounds 12+ and Jones in the 9th. 

Second year running I wont be touching the running game. Im a fan of Riddick and think Abdullah could be good but it doesnt translate into useful fantasy players.

I'm thinking 6-10 season.  Id say 8-8 their ceiling, 4-12 the floor.  

I'll go with these for their wins

Titans

Rams

Jags

Vikings

Bears

Packers 

4 pound donuts and new Honolulu Blue End Zones.

:excited:   :excited:  

Need to buy a place in Michigan so I can be part of this bandwagon before it gets too crowded.

Sigh. High hopes, always have them this time of year. "This year will be different"..... Maybe I should go to the bold predictions thread...11-5

I could be wrong, but isnt the head coach supposed to manage the clock?
I love this move, and have been banging the drum on this topic for awhile now. I think too many coaches make that assumption -- "I'm the head coach, and therefore I'm supposed to manage the clock". But what if you suck at it? How is that helping your team?

I basically view Caldwell as a poor man's Andy Reid. He's a strong manager, hires good people below him, and his players love playing for him (when his job was in the balance last year, numerous Lions spoke out in favor of keeping him.) But he's not a good game manager. Because that's what we as fans see the most of, lots of people assume that means he's a terrible coach. But IMO it just means he has his strengths and weaknesses. (I have no idea whether Chip Kelly is a good game manager, but certainly when it comes to managing relationships within the organization, he could learn a thing or two from Caldwell).

Personally, I'd much rather have a coach who's cognizant of his weaknesses and takes steps to address them over someone who retains a role because he's too arrogant to admit that he sucks at it.

Sigh. High hopes, always have them this time of year. "This year will be different"..... Maybe I should go to the bold predictions thread...11-5
Same here. Every year I have hope. Not so much this year though. I think they start slow and finish stronger as the oline gels and Decker improves. Unfortunately I can't see better than 6-10. 

i think this could be Levy's last season and I fear we'll lose Reif in FA so there will be more holes to fill next year. 

That said I have faith in Quinn

I'm going to banging the Matt Patricia drum for the next 4+ months.

Good take on Caldwell, I agree he's an excellent administrator. Maybe we could promote him? 

I'm going to banging the Matt Patricia drum for the next 4+ months.

Good take on Caldwell, I agree he's an excellent administrator. Maybe we could promote him? 
Why? The belichek  tree is pretty awful in the nfl. Maybe terrell austin is a better hire??

lions cuts starting to come in. TJ  Jones and Billingsly. Surprised. They might only roll w 4 WR. Which might be because their TE is such a mess with Ebron and Pettigrew on the shelf. Maybe Orson Charles makes it to start the season

Kept 4, Roberts it is

I hate keeping Orlovsky but I do like the thought behind keeping 2 QBs and 4 WRs - that allowed us to keep 11 DL and 10 DB (most projections had 3 QB 5 WR 10 DL 9 DB.) There's some good talent on the defensive line this year, and we always need depth in the back four because it just seems like injuries are so common.

Alex Carter (3rd round pick in 2015) out - undrafted Adairius Barnes in was very surprising.

Caraun Reid, Gabe Wright and Michael Ola are not huge surprises but I wouldn't have predicted them at the beginning of TC.

Hope lee and billingsly find jobs or make the psquad. They both looked like decent players compared to some of the wr4/5 we've seen over the years. 

BobbyLayne said:
Kept 4, Roberts it is

I hate keeping Orlovsky but I do like the thought behind keeping 2 QBs and 4 WRs - that allowed us to keep 11 DL and 10 DB (most projections had 3 QB 5 WR 10 DL 9 DB.) There's some good talent on the defensive line this year, and we always need depth in the back four because it just seems like injuries are so common.

Alex Carter (3rd round pick in 2015) out - undrafted Adairius Barnes in was very surprising.

Caraun Reid, Gabe Wright and Michael Ola are not huge surprises but I wouldn't have predicted them at the beginning of TC.
I don't have any issues with who they kept or cut. They also have Jon Bostic who will likely go on the IR where he can play later in the year. They have to keep him on the 53 player roster to do that. When they do that they will probably add a 5th WR.

On merit Roberts didn't earn a spot. He has experience lining up out wide or in the slot, and he can function as either the PR or KR. But he was about the 7th best WR in camp this year.

Extensions for Riddick and Martin.  Not a big fan of paying a punter that much, but oh well.
They took Martin from 28th highest paid punter ($580K) to t3rd - Andy Lee money. He was fourth in net average last year. He handles all the kickoffs.

He's only 26 and now he's under control through 2020. They locked up one of the better P around.

Kickers making the same as RBs - Theo's deal is slightly smaller - is nothing new, the league doesn't value RBs. Crazy but that's todays league.

Oh, and this was the worst attempted tackle in history.

Users who are viewing this thread