Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

My understanding is that the female in this scenario still does not want to talk about it, so legally I’m guessing he’s probably ok unless she changes her mind. It’s going to be how much comes out, how damning it is, and then how the Lions feel about it.

As far as keeping his job, if she decided she wants to talk about it and sounds credible he's done in this day and age.  And someone is going to find the other witnesses that were to be called if they are still alive.  I think there is a real chance he doesn't make it to week 1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not successfully you couldn’t 

I believe this is the first win the Lions have ever had in January.

I’m usually not one to get caught up in “celebrity” lives, but as a parent my ♥️ goes out to Matthew & Kelly. Her six hour brain surgery morphed into a twelve hour procedure, but she’s walking and

I don't really have a problem with the press looking into this issue and trying to find out exactly what happened. If Patricia did assault that woman (and got away with it), then it's hard to have a ton of sympathy for him, no matter how much time has passed. And if he didn't, I hope that will become clear as well.

But what I absolutely refuse to do is speculate based on incomplete information. I have no idea why the woman dropped the charges. I have no idea why she never filed a civil suit. I have no idea why five witnesses appeared on the prosecutor's list, or what they were planning to say. Any conclusions I could draw based on those snippets would say a lot more about my own biases, and what I hoped was true, than about what actually happened.

As of now, my default assumption is that he deserves the benefit of the doubt and is innocent of any wrongdoing. Unless and until I hear information that causes me to think otherwise, that will remain my position.

All of this is completely independent of the legal standard. In the eyes of the law, he is innocent and, since the statute of limitations has expired, will never be charged. What I'm describing is my own internal thought process.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Lions fan, are you ready to forgive Matt Millen?

I think I'm mostly over it, and not just because he's sick (though I certainly wish him good health). I think it's because with the benefit of hindsight, I can see clearly that while he was the worst GM the Lions (and maybe the entire NFL) has ever seen, it's not like the other people who ran the franchise before and since have done a whole lot better. I guess what I'm saying is that the further we get from the Millen Era, the more he blends in with the rest of the franchise's suckitude. He took a mediocre team and made it God-awful, and since that time the franchise has rebounded back to mediocrity.

I will also give him the tiniest bit of credit for the 2007 draft: Yes, it was universally recognized even at the time that Calvin was a generational talent and a can't-miss prospect. Still, as King points out, Millen had already taken three WRs in the Top Ten over the previous four years, and to that point had gotten two total busts and a middling starter (while passing on Andre Johnson and DeMarcus Ware). No matter how sure anyone was about Calvin's talent, you have to assume anyone in that position would have some gnawing doubts about not screwing it up yet again. So I give him half a cheer for finally getting it right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, zftcg said:

As a Lions fan, are you ready to forgive Matt Millen?

I think I'm mostly over it, and not just because he's sick (though I certainly wish him good health). I think it's because with the benefit of hindsight, I can see clearly that while he was the worst GM the Lions (and maybe the entire NFL) has ever seen, it's not like the other people who ran the franchise before and since have done a whole lot better. I guess what I'm saying is that the further we get from the Millen Era, the more he blends in with the rest of the franchise's suckitude. He took a mediocre team and made it God-awful, and since that time the franchise has rebounded back to mediocrity.

I will also give him the tiniest bit of credit for the 2007 draft: Yes, it was universally recognized even at the time that Calvin was a generational talent and a can't-miss prospect. Still, as King points out, Millen had already taken three WRs in the Top Ten over the previous four years, and to that point had gotten two total busts and a middling starter (while passing on Andre Johnson and DeMarcus Ware). No matter how sure anyone was about Calvin's talent, you have to assume anyone in that position would have some gnawing doubts about not screwing it up yet again. So I give him half a cheer for finally getting it right.

It really shows how screwed up that whole line of thinking is, that even Matt Millen got it right by not obsessing over previous screw-ups that just happened to be at the same position. The easy thing would be to draft a non-WR and on that he might have messed up yet again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

It really shows how screwed up that whole line of thinking is, that even Matt Millen got it right by not obsessing over previous screw-ups that just happened to be at the same position. The easy thing would be to draft a non-WR and on that he might have messed up yet again.

Not the exact same scenario, but the Browns during the Sashi Brown/DePodesta era seemed afraid to gamble a high pick on a QB, as a result trading away the picks that became Wentz and Watson.

As for the '07 draft, the irony is that it probably didn't matter; the first round was completely stacked (probably second only to '11 in terms of best drafts this century), and if the Lions had passed on Calvin to do the "safe" thing they probably would have ended up with Joe Thomas. Other first round picks included Peterson, Willis, Lynch and Revis.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Millen was mostly just a guy that had a great job but wasn’t very good at it. I don’t think he needs any forgiveness from anyone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Ilov80s said:

Millen was mostly just a guy that had a great job but wasn’t very good at it. I don’t think he needs any forgiveness from anyone. 

I remember him being pretty good as a MNF radio color commentator. He really needed to stick to that and people's opinions of him now would be vastly different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 39m39 minutes ago

NFL determined that neither the Lions nor Matt Patricia will be subject to any discipline in regards to previous allegations made against Detroit’s HC, per sources. The league met last week with the Lions and Patricia.

More on NFL’s decision not to discipline either the Lions or their HC Matt Patricia over previous allegations:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23563480/lions-matt-patricia-not-subject-discipline-1996-sexual-assault-allegation

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

matty patty era off to a rough start according to this guy....too much running as punishment is his take....went as far to say "losing the team" ...to generate clicks Im sure, I never heard of him cuz who reads the newspaper?

Detroit Lions' Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/26e8bf1a-9777-304d-86e1-96298ad004b9/ss_detroit-lions'-matt-patricia.html

Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players.

This was my main observation from three days of minicamp this week. The Detroit Lions’ rookie coach wants things done his way. And his way means running as punishment. Lots and lots of running.

Patricia’s tactic smacked of amateurism and even though it was generally downplayed as an innocuous slap on the wrist, I can guarantee you most players don’t care for it.

For one, it’s insulting at this level.

For another, it’s a waste of time.

Imagine you’re a roster-bubble player and you’re having a good practice and ready for your next rep when Patricia decides to get mad and makes everyone run, thereby cancelling one of your reps. How exactly does that help anyone? The usual way players are corrected is they get chewed out by their position coaches.

Even Jim Schwartz, who thought he was the smartest man in the room, and Jim Caldwell, who knew he was the smartest man in the room, didn’t punish players with running very often during minicamp or training camp. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s one guy’s opinion, it’s really really early in the process and winning will cure it but this really just continues the bad vibes I’ve had about the hire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

none of the BB disciples have done crap...….

Right and even bigger to me was that the Patriots defense was god awful. I know a big part of that was a lack of talent but I just didn’t see the appeal in him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

They improved over the course of the year with a definite deficit in talent.

True. They did improve but still don’t see how that warranted a HC job. Ofcourse I don’t know what his locker room presence was like or how he interviewed or any of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

True. They did improve but still don’t see how that warranted a HC job. Ofcourse I don’t know what his locker room presence was like or how he interviewed or any of that. 

I don’t disagree with you....I am just hoping I am not wishing for Caldwell back by end of year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King of the Jungle said:

I don’t disagree with you....I am just hoping I am not wishing for Caldwell back by end of year.

I mean he is the most successful Lions coach since Fontes. He was a class act. And Austin was a good DC. The Lions maybe had even less defensive talent than NE the last 2 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King of the Jungle said:

I don’t disagree with you....I am just hoping I am not wishing for Caldwell back by end of year.

you wont....Caldwell was a great Monday - Saturday coach but on Sunday he was down right awful....

Have to hope and give patricia a chance....I mean the whole spring break thing was a wtf moment.....making players running for mistakes is practice is a bobby ross tactic....but lets see how it goes 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, red stripe said:

Great take re the Patricia losing his players dreck from longtime troll Carlos Monnarez.  The guys entire shtick is driving clicks by trashing the Lions.

https://deadspin.com/true-###-brain-football-columnist-says-matt-patricia-ri-1826715669

I half figured that was it and the radio talking heads blasted him this morning.....i guess the guy is the replacement for drew sharp...like i said i never heard of him

Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiders fan weighing in here welcoming you to the few joint practices we are going to have in August prior to our preseason game.

Both of us have new coaches with much different outlooks/approaches from the outgoing regime. Both teams have talented young QBs who have great receiving talent around them and some quality if nowhere near elite running options in the backfield. 

Both teams will also have a bit of a dog-fight in their division keeping up with other teams generally believed to have gotten much stronger (for us it's the Chargers and all the love KC is getting with Mahomes, for you it's the Vikings and the ever-present GB threat -- for both of us, would imagine consensus is that we're at best the 3rd best team in our divisions). 

Both teams are looking to break through past performance -- for the Lions, the steady progression since the 4-12 2012 season demands that they break through the 7 or 9 game ceiling they've had to get back to their 11 game (plus) winning ways from 2014; for us, we need to recapture what made our 12-4 season two years ago so special.

Will be good to see the coverage leading up to the preseason game and see how these teams look in (quasi-) real game action in the first preseason game. 

And here's hoping to meeting in SB...yes, we dare to dream.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Attention hardcore Lion's homers...

This really belongs in the finding league's forum, but I wanted to make sure to catch the attention of real Lion's fans.

My dynasty league which is entering it's 13th season is looking to replace an owner with preferably a Lion's Homer. The league is called the Norris Dynasty and is made up of 3 fans from each of the NFC North's teams. It's a fairly standard PPR 12 team dynasty league with 20 roster spots and 10 taxi squad spots. Cost is inexpensive at $50/year.

Here's a link to the league site:

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/42272#0

Great league, pretty laid back. Made up of mostly old school posters from the Huddle.

The open team is Mark's Team and has the 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, and 5.1 picks in the rookie draft. PM me with questions or interest. Thanks.

Edited by cap'n grunge
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Nobody cares...tumbleweeds blowing through here.

It's actually a good thing IMO. That is how I want the team to be: quiet, stable, peaceful. Almost all news this time of the year is either bad or BS. The only real news is Ziggy didn't get a new deal- which we pretty much expected. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Expectations are very low this year. Some pundits have us in the cellar of the division. I don’t mind that at all. The division is not easy but really each team has their own warts. This is about as bad of a skill group the Packers have had in awhile IMO. After Adams there is some questionable talent and I don’t see them as a powerhouse they once were on that side of the ball. The Vikings are the most talented roster in the division collectively but will have some transition with a new QB and OC. That doesn’t always work out and may cause a slow start. The Bears are interesting as they have seemingly improved the most but still are counting on a second year QB who is now in a new system as well. The Lion’s have continuity on the offensive side and if they can improve the run attack should be able compete with anyone for points. 

This is really the first year I can remember that I would not be surprised if they finished in first or last place. Should be an interesting year.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'd rather they read that they will finish in last rather than first. Anything to light a fire under this underperforming organization.

Considering they have been underperforming for 50 years, do you think it makes one lick of difference whether the players see that they are expected to do well or aren't?

"Great, we're underdogs!  Nobody will see us coming."  -- Finish 4-12

"Woohoo, all the pundits think we're the best team in the division!"  -- Finish 4-12

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m optimistic. The offense will put up points but hopefully not be in constant comeback mode. When we do come out firing I hope we don’t take our foot off the gas. The continuity on offense as well as having a healthy oline will really help. I still don’t know what to make of the run game but can’t get worse, right? Blount will probably be short yardage and maybe clock killing role? Kerryon between the 20s? Riddick mixed in but mainly on passing downs? 

Curious to see how the defense does. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I’m optimistic. The offense will put up points but hopefully not be in constant comeback mode. When we do come out firing I hope we don’t take our foot off the gas. The continuity on offense as well as having a healthy oline will really help. I still don’t know what to make of the run game but can’t get worse, right? Blount will probably be short yardage and maybe clock killing role? Kerryon between the 20s? Riddick mixed in but mainly on passing downs? 

Curious to see how the defense does. 

This is pretty much what I think. Tough division & conference might stall their improvement, but they at least seem to be on the right track.

I don't believe in jinxes and the "they will never win" thought process. There were tons of those types the last few years that were proven wrong, starting with the Eagles and continuing thru other sports like the Capitals. Like the Astros. Like the Cubs.

A current NFL team that could end their drought soon might just be the Vikings.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many people in this thread, over the past few years I've spent a lot of time bemoaning the Lions rotten timing in having three straight Top 5 picks hit at the very end of the era of massive rookie contracts, and how that ultimately cost them Suh. But on a recent Ringer NFL podcast, the hosts had a brief discussion from the other angle: What would the Lions have looked like if they Suh, Stafford and Calvin on all cost-controlled deals? And the general consensus was that they would have been an absolute dynasty.

I'm not totally sure of that -- this is still the Lions we're talking about -- but certainly they would have been able to keep all three for much longer, and they would have been able to manage their cap much better and perhaps sign more impact free agents (a la the Seahawks when they took advantage of the Wilson contract to sign Avril and Bennett). And maybe if the team didn't suck so hard, Calvin wouldn't have been so eager to get out of there.

Alas ... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

RB situation per mlive.com:

Blount, Johnson and Riddick are all locks to make the roster, and the club is expected to carry a fullback too. Nick Bellore is the leader there.

That leaves one job left, maybe, and Abdullah has competition for it with the likes of Zach Zenner and Dwayne Washington. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Heard on The Ticket yesterday that Matt Patricia`s camp has been much tougher and much more intense than any of Caldwell's camp. A couple players said "I think he is trying to kill us"

:thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, zftcg said:

Like many people in this thread, over the past few years I've spent a lot of time bemoaning the Lions rotten timing in having three straight Top 5 picks hit at the very end of the era of massive rookie contracts, and how that ultimately cost them Suh. But on a recent Ringer NFL podcast, the hosts had a brief discussion from the other angle: What would the Lions have looked like if they Suh, Stafford and Calvin on all cost-controlled deals? And the general consensus was that they would have been an absolute dynasty.

I'm not totally sure of that -- this is still the Lions we're talking about -- but certainly they would have been able to keep all three for much longer, and they would have been able to manage their cap much better and perhaps sign more impact free agents (a la the Seahawks when they took advantage of the Wilson contract to sign Avril and Bennett). And maybe if the team didn't suck so hard, Calvin wouldn't have been so eager to get out of there.

Alas ... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: 

 

Lions staff do not learn. Barry left too back in the day. WHo will they drive away next?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Heard on The Ticket yesterday that Matt Patricia`s camp has been much tougher and much more intense than any of Caldwell's camp. A couple players said "I think he is trying to kill us"

"The definition of insanity is doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

"The definition of insanity is doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results."

 

I flipped a coin 500 times once as a science project in middle school.  I kept getting different results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I think the drafting of frank ragnow and having Glasgow play center will be looked back on as the turning point in Lions history. :headbang: Let’s stay healthy through preseason. 

Agreed, Ragnow is already an All-Pro player in my mind. I don't even need to see him play to know that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I think the drafting of frank ragnow and having Glasgow play center will be looked back on as the turning point in Lions history. :headbang: Let’s stay healthy through preseason. 

Ever since Bob Quinn hired as Lions GM, he has been fortify Lions' offensive line and he wasn't highly pleased with lack of running game last year especially inside tackle (1 or 2 yards).   If anything, I think Matt Patrica's tough training camp will bode well for Lions (somebody need to whip them into shape, anyway).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings have had flashes of looking like an elite team the last few years, but also seem to fade away which key injuries did not help.  Still the team most likely to take the division.

Bears have been brutally bad at times, but I like their young QB.  Definitely headed in the right direction, but still not there yet.

You always expect an Aaron Rodgers team to be elite, but the Packers really have not been that good lately.   I just see them as middle of the pack with some upside.

The Lions still don't have a pass rush, but hopefully they will be much better against  the run this year.  A very good secondary covers up the fact they don't have a pass rush.   But still that prevents this defense from really being good.   Minus having any threat at TE, Stafford will have plenty of targets.  Stafford should be top 5 QB, but if he had a TE he could be top two.   Having a decent run game and improved pass protection makes the Lions offense dangerous.   Still not as strong as Vikings, but right there with the Bears and Packers trying to move beyond mediocrity.  

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Stafford should be top 5 QB, but if he had a TE he could be top two. 

For fantasy purposes, he won’t even be top two in the NFC North

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Da Guru changed the title to DETROIT LIONS 2021: Lions Draft: OT-Sewell is #1 Brad Holmes first draft is complete. Grades?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...