What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (30 Viewers)

I understand there were probably no takers, but I would have been ok with a raiders type deal. Get that extra 2nd/3rd and snag Werner later. I don't hate the pick per se, just don't love it.

While I'm being unpopular, I would be ok with a WR in round two, particularly Allen, assuming his health checks out. I hope they don't get Watson though. Your first two picks have a combined 21 D1 starts between them? No thanks. Of course, if they had traded down yesterday, they wouldn't have to here, which is probably the best idea. If you do reach on a tackle, at least take the kid from Pine Bluff, but maybe that's just me.

Anthony Borbely said:
Based on what I read and hear and in talking to friends, I think I am in a tiny minority of people that love this pick, especially given that the 3 left tackles were gone and the fact that they had to get a pass rusher early in the draft. I absolutely did not want Milliner. I have never seen anything elite about his game and there is no way you take a corner that high if he is not an elite shut down corner. I also didn't see taking a guard this high. I also don't care about the risk because practically everyone has risks and I don't see any sure things at this pick that are worthy of being picked this high.
Milliner would have been considered a reach @ #5 and so would the 4th OL off the board @ 5.

"Upside" can be risky but then so can "playing it safe".

BTW, as usual the national guys are much less critical of this pick than the locals.
After hearing Bill Polian talk about Ziggy I am liking the pick. The guys from 5-15 are pretty much a wash...the Lions took the guy with the most upside. I like him better than the kid from Oregon.

Mayhew said the they had trade offers to move back but didn't want to risk losing Slay (and his gimpy knee...which they said is nothing like 2012 2nd rd pick, Ryan Broyles, knee).

I swear they do this on purpose.

I understand there were probably no takers, but I would have been ok with a raiders type deal. Get that extra 2nd/3rd and snag Werner later. I don't hate the pick per se, just don't love it.While I'm being unpopular, I would be ok with a WR in round two, particularly Allen, assuming his health checks out. I hope they don't get Watson though. Your first two picks have a combined 21 D1 starts between them? No thanks. Of course, if they had traded down yesterday, they wouldn't have to here, which is probably the best idea. If you do reach on a tackle, at least take the kid from Pine Bluff, but maybe that's just me.
Don't think the lions could have gotten a deal like that for their pick. The other trade was to move up to 3.

I didn't care for the Slay pick, but I loved the Warford pick.
Curious why you don't like it Anthony? Injury?
Don't like the nfl.com grade of him. Thinking that may have been a reach. Maybe should have gone OT Watson or CB banks instead?
The pick wasn't necessarily bad but I would have liked to see an offensive tackle like Watson instead. The kid can definitely play. The injury is concerning though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand there were probably no takers, but I would have been ok with a raiders type deal. Get that extra 2nd/3rd and snag Werner later. I don't hate the pick per se, just don't love it.While I'm being unpopular, I would be ok with a WR in round two, particularly Allen, assuming his health checks out. I hope they don't get Watson though. Your first two picks have a combined 21 D1 starts between them? No thanks. Of course, if they had traded down yesterday, they wouldn't have to here, which is probably the best idea. If you do reach on a tackle, at least take the kid from Pine Bluff, but maybe that's just me.
Don't think the lions could have gotten a deal like that for their pick. The other trade was to move up to 3.
Wishful thinking I guess. I would have taken Werner before him regardless. And it would have been dumb to move up to 3. Lane Johnson was a reach there for the eagles also. They just need to learn: extra picks= good :shrug:

I'm still wondering what people see in Milliner. He is good but not elite and he is not a shut down corner. Without that there is no way I would take a corner that high...not to mention a pass rushing defensive end is arguably the biggest need.
I see similarities to Ty Law. Milliner is faster while Law had better tackling abilities and durability. But he jumped off the page to me this year starting by dominating Michigan in the opener on his way to leading the SEC and the nation in passes defended per game. Now granted Law was drafted 1.23 and not 1.9, but there ended up being 12 pro bowlers and 1 future hall of fame (Sapp) in the 1995 first round. In a 2013 draft that seemed thin of elite talent at the top, I think the Jets did well to get him at 1.9. I strongly think Milliner ends up going to multiple Pro Bowls just like Law. I'm not sure he'll end up being as good as Revis, but like Law he'll end up being a very good player for a very long time.

TwinTurbo said:
I'm still wondering what people see in Milliner. He is good but not elite and he is not a shut down corner. Without that there is no way I would take a corner that high...not to mention a pass rushing defensive end is arguably the biggest need.
I see similarities to Ty Law. Milliner is faster while Law had better tackling abilities and durability. But he jumped off the page to me this year starting by dominating Michigan in the opener on his way to leading the SEC and the nation in passes defended per game. Now granted Law was drafted 1.23 and not 1.9, but there ended up being 12 pro bowlers and 1 future hall of fame (Sapp) in the 1995 first round. In a 2013 draft that seemed thin of elite talent at the top, I think the Jets did well to get him at 1.9. I strongly think Milliner ends up going to multiple Pro Bowls just like Law. I'm not sure he'll end up being as good as Revis, but like Law he'll end up being a very good player for a very long time.
The problem I have with Millner more than anything is that he doesn't seem to play to his athletic ability. I never would have guessed this guy was a high 4.3 or low 4.4 guy from watching him play. He seems slower than that on the field. On top of that he has poor ball skills. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player. Actually a very good one. I just don't see him as a top 10 guy. I'd be much more comfortable with him if he was draft in the low 20 range like Law.

TwinTurbo said:
The problem I have with Millner more than anything is that he doesn't seem to play to his athletic ability. I never would have guessed this guy was a high 4.3 or low 4.4 guy from watching him play. He seems slower than that on the field. On top of that he has poor ball skills. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player. Actually a very good one. I just don't see him as a top 10 guy. I'd be much more comfortable with him if he was draft in the low 20 range like Law.
:goodposting:

That more or less echoes my thoughts. I just think a corner has to be an elite shut-down corner to be drafted that high and I don't think Milliner is. I also think a pass rushing defensive end was a much bigger need.

lebowski said:
lebowski said:
Anthony Borbely said:
Don't like the nfl.com grade of him. Thinking that may have been a reach. Maybe should have gone OT Watson or CB banks instead?
si.com had a rating of 6.5, which they felt should have rated him a 3rd round selection. The injury is troubling, but anybody can get hurt, so we'll just have to wait and see. I like the Warford pick, though.

lebowski said:
lebowski said:
Anthony Borbely said:
si.com had a rating of 6.5, which they felt should have rated him a 3rd round selection. The injury is troubling, but anybody can get hurt, so we'll just have to wait and see. I like the Warford pick, though.
I'm wondering how much, if at all, the injury affected his rating. I really didn't care for the pick but he did make quite a few plays last year.

lebowski said:
lebowski said:
Anthony Borbely said:
NFL Draft Geek's opinion on him:There is no more underrated player in the 2013 NFL Draft than Darius Slay. Slay is the 2nd best cornerback in this class, and he really isn't that far behind Dee Milliner. Why people don't give attention I have no idea, but he has everything you could want in a star cornerback. Slay is six foot tall, is the fastest corner in the draft, can play physical bump-and-run, excels in man coverage, is great against the run, and shows very good ball skills. Out of high school Slay was just a two star recruit with offers from only Mississippi State and Troy. Poor grades forced him to stay in JUCO for two years, but when he was ready, he immediately made his presence known. 71 Tackles and 5 interceptions in his first year of D-1 football evidenced just how well rounded his game is. Slay can cover any receiver in the league 1-on-1 with his elite speed, as well as the fluid hips to play close to the line then turn and run. Slay also shows outstanding instincts and awareness which allow him to excel in zone coverage. He reads and anticipates routes as well as any corner around, but also does a good job identifying where his help is, knowing exactly when to jump routes. As icing on the cake, I would say Slay is the best cornerback in the draft when it comes to run support. Slay should be a 1st round pick easily, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up being the best cornerback to come out of this draft.

lebowski said:
lebowski said:
Anthony Borbely said:
I'm wondering how much, if at all, the injury affected his rating. I really didn't care for the pick but he did make quite a few plays last year.
I read a report saying that he can focus too much on the QB and receivers can use that to get open past him, so that probably knocked his rating down as well. Still, he has several good things going for him, and we need the help badly in the secondary.

I was surprised at Slay over Banks, but it's well documented how much they LOVE speed in Allen Park.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Heck, considering how susceptible they've been to the deep pass it probably makes a ton of sense.

I was surprised at Slay over Banks, but it's well documented how much they LOVE speed in Allen Park.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Heck, considering how susceptible they've been to the deep pass it probably makes a ton of sense.
Adding Ansah wo get pressure to the QB will also help stop our corners getting beat on the long ball.

I was surprised at Slay over Banks, but it's well documented how much they LOVE speed in Allen Park. I'm sure he'll be fine. Heck, considering how susceptible they've been to the deep pass it probably makes a ton of sense.
Adding Ansah wo get pressure to the QB will also help stop our corners getting beat on the long ball.
Do you think Ansah this year will be better than Avril was the past couple?

I was surprised at Slay over Banks, but it's well documented how much they LOVE speed in Allen Park. I'm sure he'll be fine. Heck, considering how susceptible they've been to the deep pass it probably makes a ton of sense.
Do you think Ansah this year will be better than Avril was the past couple?
No, because Ansah is a rookie, and still very new to the game. He clearly picked it up quickly, which shows he has phenomenal learning potential. Still, Avril wanted a substantial amount of money that the Lions didn't want to give him, so we got a player that has great potential for a lot cheaper.

Another DE, Devin Taylor. Reports say that he's probably going to be a rotational end in 2 or 3 years, so I'm satisfied with the pick.

Some teams as the draft continues just seem like they know what they are doing, the Lions do not appear to be one of them. Wish they would have traded for Bess (after seeing the low compensation it took) or would have drafted Swope late or taken a chance on Da'Rick Rogers. I have a feeling after this next season we will be rebuilding again...but with a new GM.

Some teams as the draft continues just seem like they know what they are doing, the Lions do not appear to be one of them. Wish they would have traded for Bess (after seeing the low compensation it took) or would have drafted Swope late or taken a chance on Da'Rick Rogers. I have a feeling after this next season we will be rebuilding again...but with a new GM.
There is a reason Rogers wasn't drafted and with all the off-the-field problems the Lions have had I wouldn't go anywhere near him. As for Bess...we already have better slot receivers in Burleson and Broyles. I wouldn't have minded Swope though, but Fuller was a decent enough pick in the 6th, largely because he has the speed we lack at WR. But with players like Swope and Fuller, we are talking about 6th rounders that are unlikely to make an impact.

I was surprised at Slay over Banks, but it's well documented how much they LOVE speed in Allen Park. Oakland

sadly, fixed

peace

There is a reason Rogers wasn't drafted and with all the off-the-field problems the Lions have had I wouldn't go anywhere near him. As for Bess...we already have better slot receivers in Burleson and Broyles. I wouldn't have minded Swope though, but Fuller was a decent enough pick in the 6th, largely because he has the speed we lack at WR. But with players like Swope and Fuller, we are talking about 6th rounders that are unlikely to make an impact.
They need pass catchers if they want to continue to throw the ball 700 times a year. Burelson/Broyles coming off injury, Pettigrew has crab-claws for hands....and they did nothing to address. Swope IMO is underrated and would have been a great fit, otherwise a reliable third down target in Bess would have helped the offense. Taking a punter when this team has so many freaking holes is a joke. I am growing tired of watching this organization operate.

OK

So some the picks today are just dumb, Matt Millen esque

A punter? another wr, a RB and TE?

Just who is playing OT for this team?

freakin joke
There was about a 75% chance the Lions could have got Slay in the 3rd. Thought they would grab a OT in the second. The punter pick in the 5th is inexcusable. The guys on the NFL Network were shaking their heads at that one. Nothing againt the kid they drafted but he was on all boards the 6-8 ranked punter. That means if he got drafted at all it would have been in the last round. The 5th is the round you draft the best athletes who may become impact players in the future.

OK So some the picks today are just dumb, Matt Millen esque A punter? another wr, a RB and TE? Just who is playing OT for this team? freakin joke
There was about a 75% chance the Lions could have got Slay in the 3rd. Thought they would grab a OT in the second. The punter pick in the 5th is inexcusable. The guys on the NFL Network were shaking their heads at that one. Nothing againt the kid they drafted but he was on all boards the 6-8 ranked punter. That means if he got drafted at all it would have been in the last round. The 5th is the round you draft the best athletes who may become impact players in the future.
But he was #2 on the Lions draft board. They know stuff that ALL other organizations don't. Watch and see, that punter will be the difference maker we've been looking for. NFC North, watch out!!!!

The Lions needed a punter and got one. Granted, I wouldn't have picked one that soon, but I fail to see why everyone's so upset. The team is addressing needs, and with the talent coming in, they're showing signs of improvement.

The Lions needed a punter and got one. Granted, I wouldn't have picked one that soon, but I fail to see why everyone's so upset. The team is addressing needs, and with the talent coming in, they're showing signs of improvement.
Any one who has played fantasy football knows you don't take a player if he'll be there rounds later.

Any one who has played fantasy football knows you don't take a player if he'll be there rounds later.
I think the RB,WR, and TE are worse than the Punter, at least they NEEDED a punter. those other picks are awful, can the TE play tackle? Can those WR/RB play special teams? dumb picks

Really think Slay could have been had in the 3rd, and I would have really liked them to snag Robert Woods to compliment Calvin. I've said it since they signed him, but Burleson is NOT the answer. Broyles I like a lot, but

very injury prone. Woods has great hands and would have been a fantastic #2.

Punter in the 5th........ wow. Just.... wow..... :shock:

Was the punter going to be there later? We'll never know, but evidently the Lions didn't think so.

I think the RB,WR, and TE are worse than the Punter, at least they NEEDED a punter. those other picks are awful, can the TE play tackle? Can those WR/RB play special teams? dumb picks
We needed a WR with speed enough to get over the top when single covered and Fuller definitely has plenty of speed. I didn't care for the RB pick and I am indifferent on the TE pick. These are just role players anyways. Plus, these are 6th and 7th rounders.

I do not have a problem with the punter at all. He averaged 45 yards per punt and more than 40 net yards per punt and he had a bunch inside the 20...plus he can kick off. As bad as our punting has been (and as a result punt coverage) I was actually happy to see this pick.

Kal El said:
Hopeless Lions Fan said:
Kal El said:
Was the punter going to be there later? We'll never know, but evidently the Lions didn't think so.
The punter the Lions drafted was ranked pre-draft in the 6-8 range for college punters. There were only two punters that were selected in the whole draft. Odds are pretty good we could have got him with the last pick or as a FA. That means that 5-6 of the top ranked NCAA punters were not even drafted and we used a 5th rd pick. I call that Business as usual...

Kal El said:
Hopeless Lions Fan said:
Kal El said:
The punter the Lions drafted was ranked pre-draft in the 6-8 range for college punters. There were only two punters that were selected in the whole draft. Odds are pretty good we could have got him with the last pick or as a FA. That means that 5-6 of the top ranked NCAA punters were not even drafted and we used a 5th rd pick. I call that Business as usual...
If the Lions are fortunate, the offensive picks they made may help their offense enough that they won't need to punt as often. Detroit ranked dead last in gross and net punting averages last season, so quite literally, the only way they can go is uphill.

Hopeless Lions Fan said:
Kal El said:
Vikings picked a punter before the lions, guessing that was what made them think this one was going off the board also.

Most of the draft graders I'm seeing are giving the Lions a B for their draft. Not many like the punter pick, but a punter can help if he's good, and from what I hear, he may do kickoffs too.

From the little tape available the guy seems able to run down pretty much anyone on the field. All those clips of him running down RBs from behind are impressive. He may not look like he's running fast compared to a stumpy 5'8" running back. But he sure plays like he's fast.

I know it's just talk right now, but I am really getting excited by the prospect of a motivated Fairley and Suh combo. There has been talk about those two busting a$$ all off-season, and the early camp reports are that they are just blowing the OL to pieces. Obviously, the fact that it is the Lion's OL that they are blowing up has to be taken into consideration, but those two certainly have the talent and ability to be a dominant force. It's been about their heads the whole time, and it sounds like they are both screwed on straight finally. That could make for an entertaining defense for sure. Can't wait to watch those two a bit this pre-season.

Mene said:
I know it's just talk right now, but I am really getting excited by the prospect of a motivated Fairley and Suh combo. There has been talk about those two busting ### all off-season, and the early camp reports are that they are just blowing the OL to pieces. Obviously, the fact that it is the Lion's OL that they are blowing up has to be taken into consideration, but those two certainly have the talent and ability to be a dominant force. It's been about their heads the whole time, and it sounds like they are both screwed on straight finally. That could make for an entertaining defense for sure. Can't wait to watch those two a bit this pre-season.
How is the rookie, Ziggie, looking? He could propel that unit to the best in the NFL IMO. If he lives up to the label that is.

I know it's just talk right now, but I am really getting excited by the prospect of a motivated Fairley and Suh combo. There has been talk about those two busting ### all off-season, and the early camp reports are that they are just blowing the OL to pieces. Obviously, the fact that it is the Lion's OL that they are blowing up has to be taken into consideration, but those two certainly have the talent and ability to be a dominant force. It's been about their heads the whole time, and it sounds like they are both screwed on straight finally. That could make for an entertaining defense for sure. Can't wait to watch those two a bit this pre-season.
How is the rookie, Ziggie, looking? He could propel that unit to the best in the NFL IMO. If he lives up to the label that is.
Zig had a pick 6 off Sanchez last night. Overall he looked raw but very fast and athletic. With some technique the kid could be awesome.

Remind me never to go to another X-Game..never seen so many scoundrels at a Lion game before. They were selling tickets on StubHub fpr 3-4 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread