What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (9 Viewers)

I know it's just talk right now, but I am really getting excited by the prospect of a motivated Fairley and Suh combo. There has been talk about those two busting ### all off-season, and the early camp reports are that they are just blowing the OL to pieces. Obviously, the fact that it is the Lion's OL that they are blowing up has to be taken into consideration, but those two certainly have the talent and ability to be a dominant force. It's been about their heads the whole time, and it sounds like they are both screwed on straight finally. That could make for an entertaining defense for sure. Can't wait to watch those two a bit this pre-season.
How is the rookie, Ziggie, looking? He could propel that unit to the best in the NFL IMO. If he lives up to the label that is.
Zig had a pick 6 off Sanchez last night. Overall he looked raw but very fast and athletic. With some technique the kid could be awesome.

Remind me never to go to another X-Game..never seen so many scoundrels at a Lion game before. They were selling tickets on StubHub fpr 3-4 dollars.
When they moved from the silverdome to ford field they left out 15,000 seats.

Those displaced drunks now show up at preseason games.

I know it's just talk right now, but I am really getting excited by the prospect of a motivated Fairley and Suh combo. There has been talk about those two busting ### all off-season, and the early camp reports are that they are just blowing the OL to pieces. Obviously, the fact that it is the Lion's OL that they are blowing up has to be taken into consideration, but those two certainly have the talent and ability to be a dominant force. It's been about their heads the whole time, and it sounds like they are both screwed on straight finally. That could make for an entertaining defense for sure. Can't wait to watch those two a bit this pre-season.
If there blowing through the lions ol don't get to excited, that would be like busting threw a line of pewe football players

If there blowing through the lions ol don't get to excited, that would be like busting threw a line of pewe football players
Wrong forum dude.

Leroy Hoard said:
Da Guru said:
How is the rookie, Ziggie, looking? He could propel that unit to the best in the NFL IMO. If he lives up to the label that is.
Zig had a pick 6 off Sanchez last night. Overall he looked raw but very fast and athletic. With some technique the kid could be awesome.

Remind me never to go to another X-Game..never seen so many scoundrels at a Lion game before. They were selling tickets on StubHub fpr 3-4 dollars.
When they moved from the silverdome to ford field they left out 15,000 seats.

Those displaced drunks now show up at preseason games.
Have to love the Ford Field concessions though...went to the game with my wife and two daughters ...15.00 to park...first rd was 4 beers and two popcorns. $52.00. Next rd was 3 beers and 4 dogs. $55.00

I was watching Rugland warm up..dam he has got a strong leg. The 50 yard FG he made would have been good from 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has to be some concern with the o-line. When it was first team vs first team the Browns were pushing the Lions o-line all over the place. Twice Riley Rief was pushed backwards on running plays right into the RB.

Last night was a strange game. The Lions did not look that good yet they destoyed the Pats on turnovers. A couple of things I noticed.

Without Calvin Johnson Matt Stafford is a mediocre QB at best..possibly lower. Stafford did not look good at all and the bulk of his yards came on a couple of screen passes.

Suh and Fairley are dominant,,they are controlling the line. #1 pick Ziggy is going to upset some people..the guy is a freak but really does not know how to play football yet....experienced LTs can steer him anyway they want him to go. I stil think he will make some big plays but it is going to take some time to be a consistant player. Suh takes on two guys almost every play so that should open space up for Ziggy.

Reggie Bush- Looks horrible when rushing the football and that is in part that the Lions o-line is not looking good. Bush goes down easy and can`t push a pile at all. Now when he gets the ball on screens and dumps he should pile up some yardage. I thopught he should have taken that screen all the way last night.

The one concern I have is the o-line..but we say that every year. The run blocking is just not there yet, and the pass protection look about the same. It is tough to judge when players are being shuttled in and out but the LT spot with Reif scares me..and should scare Stafford.

Last night was a strange game. The Lions did not look that good yet they destoyed the Pats on turnovers. A couple of things I noticed.

Without Calvin Johnson Matt Stafford is a mediocre QB at best..possibly lower. Stafford did not look good at all and the bulk of his yards came on a couple of screen passes.

Suh and Fairley are dominant,,they are controlling the line. #1 pick Ziggy is going to upset some people..the guy is a freak but really does not know how to play football yet....experienced LTs can steer him anyway they want him to go. I stil think he will make some big plays but it is going to take some time to be a consistant player. Suh takes on two guys almost every play so that should open space up for Ziggy.

Reggie Bush- Looks horrible when rushing the football and that is in part that the Lions o-line is not looking good. Bush goes down easy and can`t push a pile at all. Now when he gets the ball on screens and dumps he should pile up some yardage. I thopught he should have taken that screen all the way last night.

The one concern I have is the o-line..but we say that every year. The run blocking is just not there yet, and the pass protection look about the same. It is tough to judge when players are being shuttled in and out but the LT spot with Reif scares me..and should scare Stafford.
The O-line is the main issue, and I've been hearing that they're improving, which should help Stafford and Bush. If nothing else, we can take away the fact that the D-line looks to be a force to be reckoned with, which should take some pressure off of the offense.

Nobody on this team other than Calvin, Scheffler, and Broyles can get open on their own. Unfortunately, Scheffler has shaky hands, and Broyles is still recovering from from the acl, and doesn't quite sound like he's 100%. I really get the feeling that the receiving options are what holds Stafford back.... he's stuck trying to force too many balls into tiny spaces due to none of the options getting separation. He certainly has his flaws, accuracy being one... but watching him this preseason, nobody is getting space. From what I've seen so far this year, I fully expect another year of insane target numbers for Calvin. Hopefully, Broyles can continue to emerge as he gains confidence and gets closer to fully recovered.

Suh looks absolutely dominant. Jason Jones was feasting last night because Suh was making a mess of the Pat's OLine. I kept rewinding and frame by framing plays from the defense early on just to laugh at Suh manhandling everyone who got in front of him. I still feel like this team can make some noise this year if that DLine keeps this up. Unfortunately, any play the DLine is slowed up, the poor secondary is exposed.

The lack of discipline still drives me nuts though. When Mosley got that early PF Late Hit, Schwartz pats him on the back as he's coming off the field. Obviously, I have no idea what was said, and the camera didn't show if the DC or a position coach went and reamed him... but what was shown on TV just didn't make it look like the staff is coming down hard enough on this crap. This has been the story since Schwartz arrived, incredibly stupid PF's from the D, and I have to believe the repercussions aren't nearly severe enough because it keeps happening.

The OLine is obviously a concern. They are stuck with that though, so we just have to hope that those guys can gel a bit.

8-8.

the secondary/linebackers are still meh, will delmas be healthy all year? guy is a difference maker when hes in there.

oline is awful and they wont generate much of a running game, reggie/calvin should be fun, has pettigrew regressed? Im unimpressed

8-8.

the secondary/linebackers are still meh, will delmas be healthy all year? guy is a difference maker when hes in there.

oline is awful and they wont generate much of a running game, reggie/calvin should be fun, has pettigrew regressed? Im unimpressed
I don't think Pettigrew gas regressed so much as he just never improved. His hands are so-so and he can't do much after the catch. I actually disagree on the LBs and secondary. I think they will surprise a lot of people, particularly rookie Darius Slay. He has had an outstanding preseason, teams are not throwing his direction.

Ilov80s said:
8-8.

I don't think Pettigrew gas regressed so much as he just never improved. His hands are so-so and he can't do much after the catch. I actually disagree on the LBs and secondary. I think they will surprise a lot of people, particularly rookie Darius Slay. He has had an outstanding preseason, teams are not throwing his direction.
I think the Lions have a decent shot at the playoffs, because even though Stafford didn't have Megatron to throw to last night, he still performed decently, and should improve. The biggest problem is the O-line, but if they can learn to play well together and give him and Bush some protection, they'll be fine.

I will say that if I didn't already make the choice, I'd stop reading Drew Sharp. The guy can ##### about anything, so much so that I'm convinced the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings and Wolverines could all win the next 5 championships in their respective leagues and he's still going to complain.

I will say that if I didn't already make the choice, I'd stop reading Drew Sharp. The guy can ##### about anything, so much so that I'm convinced the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings and Wolverines could all win the next 5 championships in their respective leagues and he's still going to complain.
I cannot stand Drew Sharp. The next time he says something positive about... well... anything, will be the first time. He used to do some local sports radio on occasion as well, and I would always have to fight the urge to call in and just unload on him. Definitely not a good source for solid information on local sports.

Bush just needs to work on his 80 yard dash time.
He would have scored if the WR (not sure who it was) had blocked somebody, he was right there and just never engaged the defender which left Bush unable to get away. I'm not worried about Reggie's speed. He isn't Jahvid Best fast, but he still is going to break off lots of big plays.

8-8.

I think the Lions have a decent shot at the playoffs, because even though Stafford didn't have Megatron to throw to last night, he still performed decently, and should improve. The biggest problem is the O-line, but if they can learn to play well together and give him and Bush some protection, they'll be fine.
Lions can't really run block and haven't been able to for awhile. The Lions run game is the pass to Bush in the flat.

Lions cut "Kickalicious" :cry: They should have tried him at punter..Martin has struggled.
Any idea what happened with him? I noticed he didn't play in the third game, but he was 3/3 going into it. Akers has been good this preseason, too, but he's getting old, and hasn't been great lately in the regular season.

Lions cut "Kickalicious" :cry: They should have tried him at punter..Martin has struggled.
Any idea what happened with him? I noticed he didn't play in the third game, but he was 3/3 going into it. Akers has been good this preseason, too, but he's getting old, and hasn't been great lately in the regular season.
I was puzzled at this as well, but I don't know how good a punter he would be. If nothing else, the Lions can give him another try if/when Akers gets hurt.

What do you guys makes of Ryan Broyles this year?
If he is healthy, he will be a fantasy wr3, but it will be very inconsistent. One week he will give you 2 catches for 27 yards and one week he will go 8 for 120. My guess is he is around 65 catches for about 850 yards and 5 scores
It's all there for him to take the #2 wr spot in Detroit. Nate is slowing down & Johnson/Bush will create froom for the #2 wr IF he is healthy.

Kal El said:
I was puzzled at this as well, but I don't know how good a punter he would be. If nothing else, the Lions can give him another try if/when Akers gets hurt.
I'm curious if another team will scoop him up. It seems like there are a few that have been shuffling Kickers the past couple weeks.

Hey Detroit fans, how's Theo Riddick looked this preseason? Where's he at on the depth chart?

I loved him at ND and thought he might make a good dynasty stash.

Thanks.

What do you guys makes of Ryan Broyles this year?
If he is healthy, he will be a fantasy wr3, but it will be very inconsistent. One week he will give you 2 catches for 27 yards and one week he will go 8 for 120. My guess is he is around 65 catches for about 850 yards and 5 scores
It's funny, I had memories of him doing very well before he got hurt last year, but it was really just one good game vs Houston, and then he got hurt early in the Indy game the following week. So there's really not much to go on either way. Hell, even Titus Young put up a few good games before losing his #####.

If I knew for a fact that Broyles was healthy, I'd say he had a reasonable shot at WR2-type stats (75/1,000/8). But not all ACL recoveries are going to be like Peterson's, especially considering that Broyles is coming back from his second. I still may take a late-round flier on him, but he's not as high on my sleeper list as he had been. And given that there are a couple Lions homers in my league, I may have to reach to get him, which I don't really want to do at this point.

I'm curious if another team will scoop him up. It seems like there are a few that have been shuffling Kickers the past couple weeks.
From what I heard on The NFL Network left footed kickers usually have trouble hooking up with a team after the season starts...unless they are replacing a left footed kcker. It is due to have to having to train the holder from the opposite side. Does not sound like a big deal but it takes quite a bit of time that teams do not have in season.

So is Burleson going to pick up where he left off last season? Through the first five week he only scored under 10 FP once and he was over 25 once too. Seems like a nice flex / wr3 or wr4 play.

So is Burleson going to pick up where he left off last season? Through the first five week he only scored under 10 FP once and he was over 25 once too. Seems like a nice flex / wr3 or wr4 play.
From everything I heard in X-season Nate could not get separation and looked a step slow since his recovery from a broken leg. That is the same story with Broyles coming off his ACL..that they both lacked burst. Stafford di not look good in X-Season but Calvin played very little to open things up.

Ziggy not dressing for practice again today with concussion related symptoms..not looking good for week 1.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
The reports on Stafford aren't making me think he'll have a bounce back season.
what report is that?
TPS Reports. I don't know. :shrug:

I just haven't seen any positive press on him. Still missing open receivers. Same shoddy mechanics. Weak preseason stat-lines. Granted, Calvin didn't play in the last three preseason games, but it doesn't sound like any other WR has stepped up in his absence.

I'm rooting for him. I'd love to be wrong.

A couple of things from the game.

Stafford played well and did what was needed. Calvin could have had 2 TDs but ended up with none..same as last season but he will get his. The o-line shocked me..I thought Stafford would be on his back all day long. Riley Reif handled Jarod Allen all game and that was a huge concern.

Bush provided the spark the offense needed. I am a little concerned when I heard Bush on the Lions radio show last night say "I have a dislocated thumb, I hyperextended my knee, and I have a groin pull from the 77 yard TD run, I can`t even walk today..but we won" This is only week 1. Hopefully the Lions will rest him during the week.

The defense played OK..but Ponder could not start for half the NCAA teams..wow he looked bad, so it was tough to judge Suh and Fairley are totally disruptive and controlled the line. APD did nothing after his first run..have not seen APD shut down like that ever.

Ziggy? Watching the game at times Ziggy looks like an unrefined Julius Peppers..he can totally dominate..then other times smart tackles use his speed against him to steer him away from the plays. With Suh and Fairley dominating the midde Ziggy should have many chances to make plays.

The game was a little sloppy but a W is a W. I have seen the Lions lose many of these types of games. On to Arizona.

Any of you guys know the latest story on Broyles. He got some hype in the preseason but not sure what his status is. i know he's working through an injury. is he worth holding onto?

Well..I have seen yesterdays game countless times..like Ground Hog Day,

Lions stil can`t run the ball when needed, cant pick up crucial first downs, still get stupid penalties in the 4th quarters of games. Then on the last drive on 4th and 7 Stafford throws a 3 yard pass to Burleson who get tackled far short of the first time to let Arizona run the clock out and end the game.

So since starting 5-0 in 2011...the Lions are 10-20 in their last 30 games. Those are Matt Millen type of numbers. When you look at how this team has been built and all the wasted draft picks by Mayhew..you would think that Millen is still running the show behind the scenes.

Now another wasted high pick Mickey LeShoure has almost dropped off the depth chart. Darius Slay has been benched in both games for poor play. Best was an inury risk from day 1 and is done, Titus Young was a projected 4th rd pick with character issues that Mayhew took way too high and he is done. Broyles coming off an ACL as a senior in college and now has lost his starting job. All of these players were 1-2 rd picks that the Lions are getting zero production from.

Any of you guys know the latest story on Broyles. He got some hype in the preseason but not sure what his status is. i know he's working through an injury. is he worth holding onto?
2 ACLs in two years has robbed Broyles of his burst. I am not counting on too much out of him this season.

Wow, this is nearly unbelievable.

Detroit hasn't beat Washington on the road since 1935, when the team was in Boston and played home games at Fenway.

Time to end that streak.

The Great...The Lions are a totally different team with a healthy Reggie Bush on offense..the key is can he stay healthy. On defense Suh is totally dominating the interior line and playing the best football of his career. Suh is such a disruptive force pushing OL back into ball carriers and the QB and just throwing plays off.

The Good...Riley Reif has been a pleasant suprise at LT..Peppers got around him to force a fumble but Peppers does that to every LT. The rebuilt OL in general has been better than most people thought. Kris Durman is stepping up in Nates absence and Stafford looks to him. Ziggy Ansah is really good but still so raw that tackles can use his speed against him by pushing him out of the play. Delmas can show he can still makes plays but can his knees hold up for a full season?? Quinn took a couple of bad angles yesterday but overall has been solid

Concerns..As usual the DBs play is still troubling. Slay looks lost out there and gets beat all day when he plays. And if the rush is not dominating they still can`t cover anyone..the good safety play has helped but this is still a huge concern.

The Great...The Lions are a totally different team with a healthy Reggie Bush on offense..the key is can he stay healthy. On defense Suh is totally dominating the interior line and playing the best football of his career. Suh is such a disruptive force pushing OL back into ball carriers and the QB and just throwing plays off.

The Good...Riley Reif has been a pleasant suprise at LT..Peppers got around him to force a fumble but Peppers does that to every LT. The rebuilt OL in general has been better than most people thought. Kris Durman is stepping up in Nates absence and Stafford looks to him. Ziggy Ansah is really good but still so raw that tackles can use his speed against him by pushing him out of the play. Delmas can show he can still makes plays but can his knees hold up for a full season?? Quinn took a couple of bad angles yesterday but overall has been solid

Concerns..As usual the DBs play is still troubling. Slay looks lost out there and gets beat all day when he plays. And if the rush is not dominating they still can`t cover anyone..the good safety play has helped but this is still a huge concern.
Yes, the offense looks good barring injuries. Special teams look better, the punter/kickoff guy they drafted is a big upgrade and coverage seems better too. Defense still somewhat a weak link, Lions giving up 20 or more points now 12 regular season games in a row. At the quarter pole I'd give the overall team a grade that matches their record, a B.

Nice to see this thread alive !

Have to admit I went a bit crazy when Fairley scored a TD yesterday, for some reason he is my favourite player.

Yep, imperative we go 1-1 to keep ticking over in the next two weeks. Even with GB struggling a little, it's hard for any Lions fan to imagine a win next week, so the Browns game will be a vital one

Mayhew stinks.
#YouCantQuitTheNFL
Greco is correct..if Mayhew had not blown so many high draft picks this team would be potentially dominant. Calivin Johnson was a Millen pick, Stafford and Suh were no-brainers.

Pettigrew as a first rd pick is a bust..TEs like him are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Best-Bust and was a huge injury risk coming out. LeShoure-Bust no need to add anything. Titus Young as a second rd pick was a huge bust. Projected as a 4th rd with character issies the Lions used a high #2. Right now Slay is not looking good..I will not call him a bust because he is a rookie..but Mayhew said Slay was ready to step in and play and he is far from ready. Ziggy Anseh will be a make or break pick. Love him as an athlete but will he develop as a football player?

WHOOOO WHOOOOO

Dear God I am a 46 year old man. You have answered all my other prayers. Please, please, please.....

Just once, can the Lions play a game in February?

Peace

Has to be some concern with the o-line. When it was first team vs first team the Browns were pushing the Lions o-line all over the place. Twice Riley Rief was pushed backwards on running plays right into the RB.
O-Line looking surprisingly good.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread