What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

70 Percent of Ground Beef at Supermarkets Contains ‘Pink Slime’ (1 Viewer)

ericttspikes

Footballguy
Gerald Zirnstein grinds his own hamburger these days. Why? Because this former United States Department of Agriculture scientist and, now, whistleblower, knows that 70 percent of the ground beef we buy at the supermarket contains something he calls “pink slime.”

“Pink slime” is beef trimmings. Once only used in dog food and cooking oil, the trimmings are now sprayed with ammonia so they are safe to eat and added to most ground beef as a cheaper filler.

It was Zirnstein who, in an USDA memo, first coined the term “pink slime” and is now coming forward to say he won’t buy it.

“It’s economic fraud,” he told ABC News. “It’s not fresh ground beef. … It’s a cheap substitute being added in.”

Zirnstein and his fellow USDA scientist, Carl Custer, both warned against using what the industry calls “lean finely textured beef,” widely known now as “pink slime,” but their government bosses overruled them.

If you have questions about “pink slime,” email us at ABC.WorldNews@abc.com.

According to Custer, the product is not really beef, but “a salvage product … fat that had been heated at a low temperature and the excess fat spun out.”

The “pink slime” is made by gathering waste trimmings, simmering them at low heat so the fat separates easily from the muscle, and spinning the trimmings using a centrifuge to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. The process is completed by packaging the meat into bricks. Then, it is frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

The “pink slime” does not have to appear on the label because, over objections of its own scientists, USDA officials with links to the beef industry labeled it meat.

“The under secretary said, ‘it’s pink, therefore it’s meat,’” Custer told ABC News.

ABC News has learned the woman who made the decision to OK the mix is a former undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. It was a call that led to hundred of millions of dollars for Beef Products Inc., the makers of pink slime.

When Smith stepped down from the USDA in 1993, BPI’s principal major supplier appointed her to its board of directors, where she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years.

Smith did not return ABC News’ calls for comment and BPI said it had nothing to do with her appointment. The USDA said while her appointment was legal at the time, under current ethics rules Smith could not have immediately joined the board.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/70-percent-of-ground-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/

No way this #### makes its way into the ground beef that is ground fresh at any reputable local grocery store or butcher shop.

ABC News has learned the woman who made the decision to OK the mix is a former undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. It was a call that led to hundred of millions of dollars for Beef Products Inc., the makers of pink slime.

When Smith stepped down from the USDA in 1993, BPI’s principal major supplier appointed her to its board of directors, where she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years.

Smith did not return ABC News’ calls for comment and BPI said it had nothing to do with her appointment. The USDA said while her appointment was legal at the time, under current ethics rules Smith could not have immediately joined the board.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/70-percent-of-ground-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/
Smith's big payoff was to be made a member of the board of directors where she pulls in $70k a year? Collusion is cheap these days.

Smith's big payoff was to be made a member of the board of directors where she pulls in $70k a year? Collusion is cheap these days.
I agree. Almost choked when I saw " over 17 years". Really?

This is gross, but how is it due to deregulation?
Deregulation through subversion of the bureaucracies. Another example of industry insiders put in charge of agencies by an administration against regulation. Meat companies have a ton of waste product that used to be barely suitable for dog food, she give it the o.k. for human consumption. Companies can now sell at higher price. Appointed agency head gets job with company who profits from her ruling. Bush did this all the time. With stuff like this, FEMA, the oil industry, you name it. Appoint corporate stooge to pull apart regulations from inside the agencies by weakening enforcement.

There is no way I'm going to eat anything sprayed with ammonia first. This is just disgusting and just a small glimpse into how the agri-a-holes have a foothold on the government. Just outrageous.

Deregulation through subversion of the bureaucracies. Another example of industry insiders put in charge of agencies by an administration against regulation. Meat companies have a ton of waste product that used to be barely suitable for dog food, she give it the o.k. for human consumption. Companies can now sell at higher price. Appointed agency head gets job with company who profits from her ruling. Bush did this all the time. With stuff like this, FEMA, the oil industry, you name it. Appoint corporate stooge to pull apart regulations from inside the agencies by weakening enforcement.
I blame Clinton

I blame Clinton
My link

You're overlooking the "at least" qualifier, that's probably just direct compensation. I'd bet she made much more than $1.2 million. I imagine she probably came to hold securities that appreciated significantly (as a result of her actions as undersecretary) that aren't included in that number.

Jaime's Food Revolution did a piece on this a long time ago. It's fn disgusting.

Makes me that much happier that we use venison as our #1 meat source.

I blame Clinton
My link
looks like he got a little of that pink slime in his dreads..

I blame Clinton
Obama hasn't done anything to stop stuff like this either. It's essentially the privatization of the government. No different from the lawmaker/lobbyist relationship. Corporations write the rules, we eat the slime.

Isn't this 100% of McDonald's burgers? (not joking)Heard that recently.
Actually it's 100% not McDonald's burgers, according to this:http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/newsroom/mcdonalds_statements_and_alerts/Discontinued_Use_of_Select_Lean_Beef_Trimmings.html
Burgers are at the heart of the Golden Arches, and the fact is, McDonald’s USA serves 100% USDA-inspected beef- no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders- period. For a number of years prior to 2011, to assist with supply, McDonald’s USA used some lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia in our burgers. We were among other food retailers who used this safe product.At the beginning of last year, we made a decision to stop using this ingredient. It has been out of the McDonald’s USA supply chain since last August. We wanted to be consistent with our global beef supply chain and we’re always evolving our practices.-McDonald’s USA
Found it while trying to google about Kroger's hamburger.

Add Burger King and Taco Bell as more fast food that have dropped the use of pink slime.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/%27pink-slime%3A%27-do-you-know-if-it%27s-in-your-burger%3F-

Both Kroger and Remkebiggs have beef brands that do NOT contain "pink slime."

Remkebiggs sells Black Canyon Angus Ground Chuck.

Kroger has the following products:

-Private Selection Angus Ground Chuck, Gourmet Angus Patties, and Angus Ground Sirloin.

-Laura's Lean Ground Beef

-Private Selection All Natural Ground Beef sold in a 1-lb. package. 80% Lean and 90% Lean.

-Private Selection Organic Ground Beef in a 1-lb. package. 85% lean.

-Store-made ground beef from store trimmings prepared in store.

It might be more accurate to say that it's due to regulation rather than to deregulation.Under common law principles, I think it would be a tort to add a cheap filler to something being sold as 100% ground beef. (There's still a question of whether pink slime should be categorized as ground beef or a filler, but I'd trust a judge to make that call more than I'd trust a bureaucrat since judges are harder to buy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's disgusting, but I still wouldn't call it deregulation.

I agree. Almost choked when I saw " over 17 years". Really?
As a director. That might entail a week's work every year.

It might be more accurate to say that it's due to regulation rather than to deregulation.Under common law principles, I think it would be a tort to add a cheap filler to something being sold as 100% ground beef. (There's still a question of whether pink slime should be categorized as ground beef or a filler, but I'd trust a judge to make that call more than I'd trust a bureaucrat since judges are harder to buy.)
:goodposting: You have to love someone pointing out a failure of regulation as a reason why we need more regulation or at least as an example of the evils of deregulation. Then try to defend that poor position in a follow up post. If anything this is another example of how regulation fails to live up to the ideals of those who push for it as the answer to all ills.

:goodposting: You have to love someone pointing out a failure of regulation as a reason why we need more regulation or at least as an example of the evils of deregulation. Then try to defend that poor position in a follow up post. If anything this is another example of how regulation fails to live up to the ideals of those who push for it as the answer to all ills.
In their defense, the company basically bought their way past the regulation - and the failure to regulate seems to have created a situation we would have ended up at with deregulation.

In their defense, the company basically bought their way past the regulation - and the failure to regulate seems to have created a situation we would have ended up at with deregulation.
Wikipedia, citing a Washington Post article, says that pink slime "involves taking USDA-approved beef trimmings, separating the fat and meat with centrifuges, then squeezing the lean beef through a tube the size of a pencil, during which time it is exposed to ammonia gas."That sounds different from what I and probably most people would consider to be ground beef. Absent regulation, I think one could make a pretty good case that labeling pink slime as ground beef would constitute fraud. If so, the current regulations have not brought us to the same place as deregulation would have.

And that only shows one more reason why regulation is inefficient and ineffective. I am not a libertarian. I am not saying that all regulations must be done away with. I am, however, finding great humor in someone that is pro-regulation taking a story that clearly shows just another failure of regulation as some sort of argument for regulation.

And that only shows one more reason why regulation is inefficient and ineffective. I am not a libertarian. I am not saying that all regulations must be done away with. I am, however, finding great humor in someone that is pro-regulation taking a story that clearly shows just another failure of regulation as some sort of argument for regulation.
No it shows how an industry can cheat a regulation - not that the idea of regulation is flawed.

Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away perfectly good pink slime like that.

Wikipedia, citing a Washington Post article, says that pink slime "involves taking USDA-approved beef trimmings, separating the fat and meat with centrifuges, then squeezing the lean beef through a tube the size of a pencil, during which time it is exposed to ammonia gas."That sounds different from what I and probably most people would consider to be ground beef. Absent regulation, I think one could make a pretty good case that labeling pink slime as ground beef would constitute fraud. If so, the current regulations have not brought us to the same place as deregulation would have.
Really? I would think without any regulation they'd call it ground beef anyway. Or, by doing so, would they open themselves up to liability?

According to this documentary its thanks to Earl Butz and the Farm Bill of 1973. Beef these days comes from subsidized corn with little (nutritional) value but to make food cheaper for americans. add that to the being a huge percentage of what our USDA beef is fed in their huge animal confinement facilities, it makes the quality of beef cheap and substantially fatty compared to grazing cows (and pink slimy apparently). on top of that these cows never would survive on this feed if it weren't for the mercy of the slaughterhouse, they need to be juiced up with hormones and anitbodies so they can even live that long. but hey, the american family's percentage of their income spent on food has never been lower, thanks to government subsidized corn. King KORN!!. If you don't think "cheap" and "more" are two words valued (subsidized) by the USDA, seek the words of Earl Butz.

Anybody get sick from it?

We eat proteins, fats and carbohydrates. I've lived in countries where they eat liver, kidneys, entrails, sweetbreads, heart, tripe and other offal. It was good nutrition, for them.

So it is in hamburger. Anybody get sick from it?

Or do you think meat comes from veggie farms?

According to this documentary its thanks to Earl Butz and the Farm Bill of 1973. Beef these days comes from subsidized corn with little (nutritional) value but to make food cheaper for americans. add that to the being a huge percentage of what our USDA beef is fed in their huge animal confinement facilities, it makes the quality of beef cheap and substantially fatty compared to grazing cows (and pink slimy apparently). on top of that these cows never would survive on this feed if it weren't for the mercy of the slaughterhouse, they need to be juiced up with hormones and anitbodies so they can even live that long. but hey, the american family's percentage of their income spent on food has never been lower, thanks to government subsidized corn. King KORN!!. If you don't think "cheap" and "more" are two words valued (subsidized) by the USDA, seek the words of Earl Butz.
Grass is more nutritional than corn?

Users who are viewing this thread