What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (1 Viewer)

Duvall's power is going to play great at that park. He's a 30 HR bat with a full time job. There is serious risk of his BA cratering like a Chris Carter, but it does help that most of his current BA is from all the XBH. 
the 3% walk rate is concerning.  i want to compare him to Adam Dunn as a hitter (same first name, after all), but the discipline just isn't there right now.  I think we could see teams start to throw him less strikes, and from there it's up to him to adjust.  

There are other factors too, I guess. What could you get for Duvall? Where do you stand in the offensive categories in total? Cespedes and Martinez already give you two fairly free-swinging power dudes.

In his defense, the low walk rate is partially just that he puts the ball in play immediately...but I don't expect him to start walking. I think he's more Todd Frazier (before he went to the AL and changed) than he is Adam Dunn. 

I kind of like Mallex Smith. I've had him rostered for a while but his slow start means he's likely available in lots of leagues (he's 17% owned at CBS) - saw this last night: Since April 28th his numbers are: .301/.348/.505 (103 AB) with 4 2B, 4 3B, 3HR, 15 RBI, 16 R, 8 SB....

He was just put in the leadoff spot, so runs (maybe steals) should tick up as well and the speed is real. Last night he was on base 3 times and stole twice.
I've held on since right before he got called up. He's been better than people think, and when it clicks, he could swing SB standings in a big way. I'm comfortable taking the chance that he could be a waste of a roster spot for most of the season if it doesn't click, and I think the upside is worth it.

In his defense, the low walk rate is partially just that he puts the ball in play immediately...but I don't expect him to start walking. I think he's more Todd Frazier (before he went to the AL and changed) than he is Adam Dunn. 
Mark Trumbo came to mind for me as a Duvall comp, and there was a Fangraphs interview before the season with Trumbo that I found really interesting, particularly this quote:

“I’m not [disciplined enough] in a lot of people’s eyes, but that’s the way I’m most efficient. I’ve tried both. I’ve tried to be a high-walk guy, and that version of me is not even a major-league-caliber player. I have opinions on plate discipline, and the best version of me is the one that’s aggressive. If I swing at a few pitches out of the zone, so be it."
Duvall's probably the same way. Granted his plate discipline is even worse than Trumbo right now and could improve a little, but I think some guys just need to be aggressive and he's one of them.

I love Adam Duvall.  Even thought he was on the bench yesterday I kept him in my lineup and he rewarded me with a stolen base.  What a guy!

I would think a guy who has only given up 3 earned runs in his last 38 innings would be rostered

yep. I'm being that guy

Edwin Diaz just pitched the 7th in a 2 run game. Benoit is not his former self. Diaz is nasty. If Cishek craps the bed, I bet this guy gets a chance. 

Don't understand this really. Gonna be hard to find him playing time. 
I'm curious what Maddon is going to do, but if he hits anywhere near like he did in the minors then I wonder if Montero starts to get phased out.

Edwin Diaz just pitched the 7th in a 2 run game. Benoit is not his former self. Diaz is nasty. If Cishek craps the bed, I bet this guy gets a chance. 
I have only watched him once so far, but he was filthy.

our mans jamie p. looked dicey at times but he kept it between the buoys and turned in a respectable outing

Last edited by a moderator:
Why?

Something seems wrong with Montero, and Old Man river is a once a week starter.
That's exactly why. There's 2 other catchers on the roster. Federiwosindhdjch barely played when Montero was healthy. Maybe something is wrong with Montero, who knows. Either way, I'm excited to see him. 

I kind of like Mallex Smith. I've had him rostered for a while but his slow start means he's likely available in lots of leagues (he's 17% owned at CBS) - saw this last night: Since April 28th his numbers are: .301/.348/.505 (103 AB) with 4 2B, 4 3B, 3HR, 15 RBI, 16 R, 8 SB....

He was just put in the leadoff spot, so runs (maybe steals) should tick up as well and the speed is real. Last night he was on base 3 times and stole twice.
4 SB's and 5 runs in the last 4 games.

That's exactly why. There's 2 other catchers on the roster. Federiwosindhdjch barely played when Montero was healthy. Maybe something is wrong with Montero, who knows. Either way, I'm excited to see him. 
I've heard they may let him play some OF

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/three-lefties-flashing-star-upside/

Brandon Finnegan | Cincinnati Reds

The other two have more obvious cases for pickup even with small overall samples this year, but Finnegan gets more to my point about buying in on skills and figuring it out afterwards. He’s a great case where watching tells you something different than the base skills. He has a 2.41 ERA in his last five starts, but just a 4% K-BB rate which is horrible. However, even after watching the worst of those starts (6.3 IP/4 ER), I came away understanding how he can still generate standout results despite modest skill support. Keep in mind that both Paxton and Duffy sat at 2.1 and 1.9 K:BB, respectively, prior to this year and they too pulled down decent results despite that. Finnegan is at 1.9 through 137.3 career IP.
Coincidentally, I already have the other two guys in this article rostered in my 12-team H2H (thanks in part to having 5 SPs on the DL in a league with only 3 DL slots  :bag: ). Should I make it 3-for-3? I've watched zero Reds baseball this year so have no preconceptions on Finnegan at all.

So, is this what the Willson Contreras "MLB immersion therapy session" is going to look like? Are they going to bring him up, and have him sit in a locked basement room to review MLBPA documents and hand scrub Miguel Montero's jock strap for a couple of weeks? No literal coffee allowed for him either, I'm sure.

RIP to my ratios.

In all seriousness his strike looking % was leading the league by a decent margin and he was showing really good deception skills... Maybe he is just hitting a rough patch.

Yea, that sucks balls. I mean it IS the AL, so you've got the DH to deal with, but definitely not what you like to see. Maybe I got a tad excited.. Time will tell. He's still fairly good imo.
Could just be this game.  Two offenses that haven't been able to score all year, and it's 5-4 in the top of the 3rd.  :loco:

If you are relying on Paxton and Nola, didn't you in fact punt pitching this year too?
Paxton is pretty legit. 

Nola has hit a huge speed bump.  He had some bad match-ups lately, so I was allowing him some rope, but after tonight I'm really worried.  Twins are really a bad team who didn't even have their best hitter playing tonight. 

#### Servais for sending him out for the 8th

Pitch count was fine, but you don't let 3-4-5 of the Tigers lineup get a 4th look at your starter late in a tie game.

Playing 12 the night before probably had a lot to do with sending him back out there, and its the reason I sat him in my daily league, but as soon as VMart got on, he should have been pulled.

Pitch count was fine, but you don't let 3-4-5 of the Tigers lineup get a 4th look at your starter late in a tie game.

Playing 12 the night before probably had a lot to do with sending him back out there, and its the reason I sat him in my daily league, but as soon as VMart got on, he should have been pulled.
I forget where I saw it, but the data shows that times through the order has a much greater effect on pitching degradation vs. pitch count.  Obviously there will be guys that pitch count affects harder from a stamina perspective, but yea letting the heart of the lineup get a 4th look at your guy is egregious.  

bullpen be damned.  throw Cishek's goofy ### to the wolves but get my guy out of there.

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ Reed's comin'. His AAA numbers have been good, but I don't think he's been the best AAA 1B by a good stretch. Could be decent, but don't think he's going to be a very good MLB hitter right away.

AJ Reed's comin'. His AAA numbers have been good, but I don't think he's been the best AAA 1B by a good stretch. Could be decent, but don't think he's going to be a very good MLB hitter right away.
I've been sitting on him in Uber, I hope he's about to contribute.  I already have Gallo who is rotting as we speak. 

Thoughts on 

Anthony DeSclafani
Liked him in March.  Don't know how I feel about him now.  Hesitate to judge too much after just 4 starts.  Last 2 are obviously encouraging, but one was against the Padres.  Depending on your roster I'd probably add him though.  Maybe see how he does vs. the Nats and Cubs and if it goes well start to work him into your lineup after the break.

I'm kinda glad runs/ERA are way up and the pitching pool is back to sucking balls.  I think fantasy players have had it too easy the past few years, now it's not just drafting a bunch of 12th round type guys and you're set.  Keuchal, Cole, King Felix, Archer, Wainwright, Garcia, Iwakuma, Ventura, and Gio have all been total crap with de Grom, Price and TiJuan Walker not a lot better .  The guys that were supposed to be the top guys are, but now the guys who were #2s and 3s are not guys with 1 upside. 

The guys with upside this year are all guys that weren't drafted at all, or were very late round picks like Lackey, Pomeranz, Shoemaker, Rich Hill, Steven Wright, Marco Estrada, Michael Fulmer, and JA Happ.  Some of those might have regression awaiting them, but they came cheap anyway so you move onto the next guy. 

Still a long way off from 2000, when 10.28 runs per game were scored. We're currently at 8.5, which is a little up from 2015's 8.25. And this is while swinging strike %, league-wide, continues to creep up. The main difference from what I can tell are more homers. K's are up a little, as are walks.

I rely a lot on loading up on as much offense as possible and picking up completely garbage pitching, mixing and matching, and hopefully ending up with something decent at the end of the year. Said strategy really rests on the fact that I have a pretty good knack re: SP, but I'm throwing darts blindly when it comes to finding offense. But having watched other people in my league try something similar, it's not a panacea. And the two best teams in our league feature one balanced team and one pitching heavy team, so who knows. If guys started juicing again, everyone lowered their fences, and good pitching started to carry a premium, I'd have to change course at least somewhat.

Still a long way off from 2000, when 10.28 runs per game were scored. We're currently at 8.5, which is a little up from 2015's 8.25. And this is while swinging strike %, league-wide, continues to creep up. The main difference from what I can tell are more homers. K's are up a little, as are walks.

I rely a lot on loading up on as much offense as possible and picking up completely garbage pitching, mixing and matching, and hopefully ending up with something decent at the end of the year. Said strategy really rests on the fact that I have a pretty good knack re: SP, but I'm throwing darts blindly when it comes to finding offense. But having watched other people in my league try something similar, it's not a panacea. And the two best teams in our league feature one balanced team and one pitching heavy team, so who knows. If guys started juicing again, everyone lowered their fences, and good pitching started to carry a premium, I'd have to change course at least somewhat.
been a brutal year to stream pitching.  have to #trusttheprocess

#####ScottKazmir

Users who are viewing this thread