What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (3 Viewers)

In deeper leagues Robbie Grossman is not the worst option out there.  Playing almost every day and hitting between 2nd and 5th in the lineup. 

Trey Mancini seems to be the hot topic of late, what's the word on the street?
He's been on the prospect radar for a bit. A lot of power potential. Projection systems based on his minor league stats put him around 270/320/450 so its not a shock he can hit in the majors.

Question is where he plays long-term. Orioles have been trying him in the OF which seems odd as he played 1B in the minors and wasn't considered to be very good at it.

Kevin Pillar's been a speculative add for me in a couple leagues. He may get a shot to run with the leadoff job for a bit - Travis is back in the lineup tonight but hitting 9th with Pillar still at the top. The Jays offense can't be as bad as it has been to start, so he should score some runs and if it is that bad, that would likely lead to giving him the chance to steal some bases as they try to jumpstart things :shrug:  .  He said in the offseason he's going to be more patient and work on drawing more walks but he's a brutal hacker IMO, so I'll believe that part when i see it.  

On the prospect front, I'm holding Bradley Zimmer right now, and I don't think I can ignore Ian Happ much longer. Dude's on fire, and the lowly Cubs could sure use a jolt. Though, I am always biased towards former Carolina Leaguers.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the prospect front, I'm holding Bradley Zimmer right now, and I don't think I can ignore Ian Happ much longer. Dude's on fire, and the lowly Cubs could sure use a jolt. Though, I am always biased towards former Carolina Leaguers.
Agree on Zimmer.  He's 24, has really had a consistent minor league track record, and frankly he's currently blocked by Lonnie Chisenhall.  Not sure we are going to see more than one or two rookies with real fantasy impact this year but Meadows, Bellinger, Zimmer, and Moncada are all going to get calls after the super 2. 

Happ is especially interesting for fantasy. He may never be a balanced major leaguer, but he can be a real 5 category asset in fantasy with possible MI eligibility. 

There's a very strong possibility that Jason Vargas has turned himself into a viable starter. 

Not sure if there's a new pitch in his arsenal, and we're working with a SSS, but his ground ball rate has completely flipped from his previous years (60% today and 53% for year). Add that to a big ballpark and good D behind him and my interest in piqued.

Happ has been fairly average until the last two weeks, no?
He's been an OB machine for much of his career, with some speed and pop. 

Maybe it's just a two-week power surge in the PCL. He's a kid. Who the hell knows? But maybe it's an already talented hitter and former top 10 pick figuring out how to put the ball in the seats. :shrug:  I'll burn a roster spot on him for a little while to see if something's brewing.

Also, not gonna lie, I'm a little influenced by the fact that Theo didn't trade him away.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a very strong possibility that Jason Vargas has turned himself into a viable starter. 

Not sure if there's a new pitch in his arsenal, and we're working with a SSS, but his ground ball rate has completely flipped from his previous years (60% today and 53% for year). Add that to a big ballpark and good D behind him and my interest in piqued.
I picked him up after his first outing and have been riding his streak.  It seems more legit than fluke at this point.  The K's have been good too (23K/20+ innings).

I’m not buying that Oakland will stick with Rosales/Pinder as long as Semien is out. Hand injuries seem to linger and take a while to come back from. I think Barreto gets a shot at some point.

I’m not buying that Oakland will stick with Rosales/Pinder as long as Semien is out. Hand injuries seem to linger and take a while to come back from. I think Barreto gets a shot at some point.
Absolutely, but there's no real incentive for them to do that until mid-Summer.  

I didn't start Senzatela at home yesterday but he pitched well again. Has anyone seen him pitch? He's got the Nats next so I doubt I'll start him again.

I didn't start Senzatela at home yesterday but he pitched well again. Has anyone seen him pitch? He's got the Nats next so I doubt I'll start him again.
Yeah, I've watch all four of his starts. He's got fantastic fastball command sitting 93-95 and going to 97-98 on occasion, slider that sometimes works as a slurve and change-up secondary pitches. Get's a lot of swings and misses and miss hits on his fastball, and his secondary pitches have been much better in his last two starts.

He's around the strike zone all the time so I suspect he's going to have games where he gets hit hard. His second start there was a lot of hard contact that turned into outs. He started mixing in more off-speed pitches the last two starts and the Giants couldn't do much with him. 

Yeah, I've watch all four of his starts. He's got fantastic fastball command sitting 93-95 and going to 97-98 on occasion, slider that sometimes works as a slurve and change-up secondary pitches. Get's a lot of swings and misses and miss hits on his fastball, and his secondary pitches have been much better in his last two starts.

He's around the strike zone all the time so I suspect he's going to have games where he gets hit hard. His second start there was a lot of hard contact that turned into outs. He started mixing in more off-speed pitches the last two starts and the Giants couldn't do much with him. 
Thanks! :thumbup:

Curious to see how he does vs. the Nats.

Because of the way the Cubs employ Rizzo in the field in obvious bunt situations, he now has two official games as a  2Bman. Three more and he gets 2B in yahoo. 
Just watched this happen again
I guess the thing is the umpires have to decide he's too far away from first and he has to switch his first baseman's glove out.  Once he does that he becomes the 2Bman and it's recorded as such in the books.  I had never heard of such a thing, so I find it all pretty fascinating.  FTR I don't own Rizzo in any league. 

So close to dropping Scott Schebler the other day. Glad I held on. Is he a streaky hitter? Hopefully gets that OBP up.

Schebler's BABIP is only .170 so there's some positive regression coming in AVG/OBP.  On the other hand, his 29.2% HR/FB percentage is unsustainable.

He's no star but brings some HR/RBI potential in deep leagues with daily lineups.

Kevin Pillar's been a speculative add for me in a couple leagues. He may get a shot to run with the leadoff job for a bit - Travis is back in the lineup tonight but hitting 9th with Pillar still at the top. The Jays offense can't be as bad as it has been to start, so he should score some runs and if it is that bad, that would likely lead to giving him the chance to steal some bases as they try to jumpstart things :shrug:  .  He said in the offseason he's going to be more patient and work on drawing more walks but he's a brutal hacker IMO, so I'll believe that part when i see it.  
:goodposting:

If he's still available grab him. He has an OBP over .400 with 10 runs scored, 3HR, 2SB in the 10 days since I posted this and he'll be locked into the leadoff spot for a while.

Aaron Altherr was someone I have been watching for the last ten days or so.  He has an interesting career arc as he was basically a good steal guy with occasional pop with limited on base skills.  Then in 2014 he went to the Venezuelan fall league and raked.  Since then he has posted a 840+ OPS in the minors and he had 227 PAs last year in Philadelphia.  He has on base skills and he's now hitting 2nd with the Phillies.  He's got pop and he can steal bases so with the on base skills he's definitely worth an add in all roto leagues, and especially in OBP leagues.  BABIP is high but if he can hit .250 he's still gonna be worth rostering if you need counting stats and steals. 

Aaron Altherr was someone I have been watching for the last ten days or so.  He has an interesting career arc as he was basically a good steal guy with occasional pop with limited on base skills.  Then in 2014 he went to the Venezuelan fall league and raked.  Since then he has posted a 840+ OPS in the minors and he had 227 PAs last year in Philadelphia.  He has on base skills and he's now hitting 2nd with the Phillies.  He's got pop and he can steal bases so with the on base skills he's definitely worth an add in all roto leagues, and especially in OBP leagues.  BABIP is high but if he can hit .250 he's still gonna be worth rostering if you need counting stats and steals. 

The No. 1 and 2 hitters in the Phillies’ lineup are slashing .345/.408/.574. That the best in MLB. Cesar has lead the way, but Altherr has been a stud in the #2 spot recently.

What are people's thoughts on Cahill?  He seems like the real deal as his peripherals are all pointing to a pretty good pitcher.  The walks are high but everything else seems to be good and he's playing in Petco.  Is he owned in most leagues?  I'm thinking of putting in a pretty significant bid for him since I'm desperate for pitching.  

I picked up Francisco Liriano tonight, no idea why I would do that to myself. :bag:

Also Ben Gamel probably worth a flyer in deeper leagues if he's starting and hitting 2nd while Haniger is on the mend. 

Not sure of the extent of Asdrubal Cabrera's injury, but I would grab Amed Rosario tonight to see what happens.

JC Ramirez in all formats. Guy has some really interesting stuff, sits 96, sustaining 9 k/9 so far, plays in a good park. He came out of nowhere but I think he has to be rostered for the potential to keep this up.

:wub:  

Didn't think we'd see him until 2018. 
I grabbed him a couple of weeks ago when the Mets were slumping and Reyes was looking like he was shot. They've both since rebounded so I wasn't holding out much hope of Rosario coming up. They also have the option of moving TJ Rivera to the left side when Duda comes back so it still might not happen for Rosario but Mets GM did say it's a possibility.

My need for speed had me picking up Sierra from St. Louis. He's starting today so we'll see what happens.

I grabbed him a couple of weeks ago when the Mets were slumping and Reyes was looking like he was shot. They've both since rebounded so I wasn't holding out much hope of Rosario coming up. They also have the option of moving TJ Rivera to the left side when Duda comes back so it still might not happen for Rosario but Mets GM did say it's a possibility.
I think once Rosario comes up he stays and with Cabrera in his last year, would have been set in stone if he was to miss a significant amount of time.  I have him in dynasty, I'm ready to get this show on the road as my only SSs are Tulo and Cozart. 

I streamed Cahill in two leagues and he seems to be putting it together.  Walked 5 tonight but only allowed one hit and is probably a must start at home at this point. 
I'm 100% in. Dropped him after a stream in cake but picked him up in a weekly league and I'm holding there for the foreseeable future. He's missing a lot of bats.

I'm 100% in. Dropped him after a stream in cake but picked him up in a weekly league and I'm holding there for the foreseeable future. He's missing a lot of bats.
Yeah I bid $18 of my FAAB on him so I'm all in.  The only thing holding him back is that walk rate.  His strikeout rate is great and when he's not striking people out or walking them, he's getting them to hit weak grounders.  

Users who are viewing this thread