What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (1 Viewer)

Am I nuts for thinking about picking up Scott Kazmir?
Here's a good recent article about Kazmir. It's not impossible for a pitcher to reinvent himself but he's still a longshot. There may be a deep league somewhere where he's worth a roster spot but I can't imagine anybody other than Terry Francona trusting Kazmir enough to start him.

Is there anyone at all worth rostering from the Astros?
Altuve & Veras in standard leaguesCarter & Pena in OBP or OPS leaguesMaybe Wallace, Maxwell, Norris in deep leagues :shrug: Someone will surprise for this club
When I saw the Astros in spring training Carlos Pena was tearing the cover off the ball every time up. He hit one opposite field HR and had another 1 go just foul. That alone doesn't mean much for fantasy, but he stood out enough to get on my radar at least.

When I saw the Astros in spring training Carlos Pena was tearing the cover off the ball every time up. He hit one opposite field HR and had another 1 go just foul. That alone doesn't mean much for fantasy, but he stood out enough to get on my radar at least.
The problem is, he just doesn't touch the ball enough.In ST he's batting his typical .212, with 20k's in 60 plate appearances.There are a number of issues with drafting Pena in all but the deepest of leagues.-lineup protection - there is none. He will see very little to hit in his wheelhouse, yet teams will not walk him all that much either because there is not much to worry about in this lineup. -He'll be 35. The Astros have a team full of nobodies, but at least for the most part they are under 30. They want to rebuild, and obviously Pena is not in any future plans. There is no reason they will not give guys like Carter, Wallace, Singleton eventually, and other chances to prove they are ready to play everyday. Further, if (who am I kidding, when) they start falling way out of contention, if another team is looking to fill a roster spot for an injured player, the Astros will take anything they can get in return for Pena, so he may well fall into a platoon/backup role sooner rather than later.I think Pena can still hit home runs, but his batting average, runs, and rbi potential are going to kill. Not rosterable, imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, he just doesn't touch the ball enough.In ST he's batting his typical .212, with 20k's in 60 plate appearances.There are a number of issues with drafting Pena in all but the deepest of leagues.-lineup protection - there is none. He will see very little to hit in his wheelhouse, yet teams will not walk him all that much either because there is not much to worry about in this lineup. -He'll be 35. The Astros have a team full of nobodies, but at least for the most part they are under 30. They want to rebuild, and obviously Pena is not in any future plans. There is no reason they will not give guys like Carter, Wallace, Singleton eventually, and other chances to prove they are ready to play everyday. Further, if (who am I kidding, when) they start falling way out of contention, if another team is looking to fill a roster spot for an injured player, the Astros will take anything they can get in return for Pena, so he may well fall into a platoon/backup role sooner rather than later.I think Pena can still hit home runs, but his batting average, runs, and rbi potential are going to kill. Not rosterable, imho.
I don't think the lineup protection argument holds water for a guy like Pena, at least in OBP leagues. He's always been a patient hitter (career BB% is 14%) and isn't going to start swinging more wildly because the opponent doesn't respect Chris Carter or Fernando Martinez. Pena has played for a lot of bad teams in the past teams in the past so the lack of protection is pretty well established in his permanent record.The age argument could come to pass but if/when it does, you can drop Pena and pick up somebody else. For now, he's a regular and batting in the middle of the order. He's fine to fill a UT slot in an OBP league.

His OBP over the past three years has been .330, .357 and .325

He had a 684 ops last year in 160 games.

Color me a skeptic that he's going to turn it around batting in the heart of the vaunted Astros lineup.

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. Here's what I got: Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)Chris Sale (CWS - SP)Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.Thanks
OK, so I dropped O'Flaherty for Purcell. But now I need a RP. Who can or should I drop? Strailey? Bauer? Would it be better if I dropped Chris Carter or Yasiel Puig?Thank you.

Whos Purcell?
He's a winger for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
haha Sorry. Porcello from Detroit. But do I have an obvious drop between Strailey, Bauer, Cris Carter or Puig?Thanks.
Is rhis a keeper league? If not id drop bauer and puig. No reason to roster and stash all those guys
No. But any chance either of those two get called up and make a big impact? I would hate to drop Puig only to lose out on him when he gets called up. I don't think he'll do anything like Trout or Harper, but he does have high potential, right?

Whos Purcell?
haha Sorry. Porcello from Detroit. But do I have an obvious drop between Strailey, Bauer, Cris Carter or Puig?Thanks.
Is rhis a keeper league? If not id drop bauer and puig. No reason to roster and stash all those guys
No. But any chance either of those two get called up and make a big impact? I would hate to drop Puig only to lose out on him when he gets called up. I don't think he'll do anything like Trout or Harper, but he does have high potential, right?
It depends on the depth of your league and the number of bench and DL slots. You're burning two roster slots to keep them both. That may not be possible once the season starts and injuries mount. Between Bauer and Puig, I'd always lean toward the bat. Bauer may get called up sooner though.

Whos Purcell?
It depends on the depth of your league and the number of bench and DL slots. You're burning two roster slots to keep them both. That may not be possible once the season starts and injuries mount. Between Bauer and Puig, I'd always lean toward the bat. Bauer may get called up sooner though.
This... Youre basically stashing three guys. Its just too many if you plan on being active

Whos Purcell?
This... Youre basically stashing three guys. Its just too many if you plan on being active
Yeah. We have 7 bench spots and two DL spots once the season starts. Problem is, I have Headley, Teixeira and even Marcum to put on there.And thanks again for the help guys. I'm a FF guy and trying my hand at baseball. It's so much more in depth and really appreciate the advice.

Puig isn't worth stashing imo. They have three high paid outfielders and no room for him. Plus he was sent to AA. Bauer will be up sooner but I was not impressed with him at all last year. Pitches too high in the zone, is very wild, and his fastball was topping out at 92. Straily has the best chance at an impact. Not only does he have k ability but pitches in a great home park plus would get to face seattle and houston alot. He probably gets sent down when colon is ready but hell get a start early so you might as well hold him for now

Puig isn't worth stashing imo. They have three high paid outfielders and no room for him. Plus he was sent to AA. Bauer will be up sooner but I was not impressed with him at all last year. Pitches too high in the zone, is very wild, and his fastball was topping out at 92. Straily has the best chance at an impact. Not only does he have k ability but pitches in a great home park plus would get to face seattle and houston alot. He probably gets sent down when colon is ready but hell get a start early so you might as well hold him for now
I took Puig with the last pick in my 20 teamer, I cut him already when he was assigned to AA. He may be back with an injury but I think that's his only hope.

I agree with you to a point about Puig but I don't think the AA/AAA detail is significant. Albuquerque is one of the most extreme hitter's parks in all of baseball and the PCL in general is offense heavy. If the Dodgers want Puig to work on plate discipline and consistent mechanics, the Southern Leagues probably a better place to do this.Mr. Peterson has nine spare slots to fill and a FAAB cap to worry about. I don't think he mentioned the league size. If Puig is already on your roster and you don't need his bench slot, I'd absolutely stash him. He can always be dropped later if you need the space. It's not a given that he will get called up this season but if it happens, the hype factor will drive his FAAB price way up.

I agree with you to a point about Puig but I don't think the AA/AAA detail is significant. Albuquerque is one of the most extreme hitter's parks in all of baseball and the PCL in general is offense heavy. If the Dodgers want Puig to work on plate discipline and consistent mechanics, the Southern Leagues probably a better place to do this.Mr. Peterson has nine spare slots to fill and a FAAB cap to worry about. I don't think he mentioned the league size. If Puig is already on your roster and you don't need his bench slot, I'd absolutely stash him. He can always be dropped later if you need the space. It's not a given that he will get called up this season but if it happens, the hype factor will drive his FAAB price way up.
Thanks. The league size is 14 teams. Start the usual - C, 1, 2, 3, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util. 8 pitchers. 7 bench. 2 DL (once the season starts).

I think a 350 obo and 30 hrs is doable for pena. Hitters his age usually retain their power pretty well and become about more selective when to swing. At his current price those numbers would be extreme value and if you end up cutting him its not like you lost much of an investment.

So I am looking at my WW for a pitcher flier in a H2H PTs league and am wondering is what is worthwhile here:

Ubaldo Jimenez

Edinson Volquez

Mike Fiers

James McDonaldo

Dillion Gee

Randall Delgado

I have read some good stuff about Fiers and Gee but are either of them really anything more than 11 W and a 3.8 ERA? Delgado intrigues me because of potential but does he even have a job right now?

So I am looking at my WW for a pitcher flier in a H2H PTs league and am wondering is what is worthwhile here:Ubaldo JimenezEdinson VolquezMike FiersJames McDonaldoDillion GeeRandall DelgadoI have read some good stuff about Fiers and Gee but are either of them really anything more than 11 W and a 3.8 ERA? Delgado intrigues me because of potential but does he even have a job right now?
FiersMcDonaldGeeScratch the rest.

So I am looking at my WW for a pitcher flier in a H2H PTs league and am wondering is what is worthwhile here:Ubaldo JimenezEdinson VolquezMike FiersJames McDonaldoDillion GeeRandall DelgadoI have read some good stuff about Fiers and Gee but are either of them really anything more than 11 W and a 3.8 ERA? Delgado intrigues me because of potential but does he even have a job right now?
Corbin may beat out Delgado for the SP5 job in Arizona.

I don't think Fiers is confirmed over Peralta as the #5 in Milwaukee either, after the Lohse signing.

I don't think Fiers is confirmed over Peralta as the #5 in Milwaukee either, after the Lohse signing.
You can't start a Fiers without a spark :shrug:

Crazy things do happen, I guess. They did sign Lohse in the first place.

They may decide to carry 13 pitchers for a week or two but that decision should come Friday or Saturday. Lohse wants to pitch in the 2nd series (against STL no less) and they may let him. My guess is Fiers is in the BP and Peralta is the #5. Either way, the #5 in the Brewers rotation is not someone you want to target...at least right now.

They may decide to carry 13 pitchers for a week or two but that decision should come Friday or Saturday. Lohse wants to pitch in the 2nd series (against STL no less) and they may let him. My guess is Fiers is in the BP and Peralta is the #5. Either way, the #5 in the Brewers rotation is not someone you want to target...at least right now.
I don't get the fascination with Peralta. Fiers is clearly better. Not sure what I'm missing here.

I don't get the fascination with Peralta. Fiers is clearly better. Not sure what I'm missing here.
You're not the only one, but I wouldn't say "clearly better". Peralta has pitched slightly better than Fiers this spring, for whatever crap thats worth. :shrug:

Gee

If you need to fill a starting spot with a SP who won't kill you, I like Gee. If you're trying to roster a flier with upside, he's about as boring as they come.

If some idiot drafted Chase Headley and wasn't aware that he was injured, so didn't draft a backup, what would be a good option as a fill-in off of the wire? Available are:

Trevor Plouffe

Michael Young

Matt Carpenter

Maicer Izturis

Lonnie Chisenhall

and others of this quality

If some idiot drafted Chase Headley and wasn't aware that he was injured, so didn't draft a backup, what would be a good option as a fill-in off of the wire? Available are:Trevor PlouffeMichael YoungMatt CarpenterMaicer IzturisLonnie Chisenhalland others of this quality
Carpenter, then Plouffe.

Chisenhall, but I like to chase the breakout candidates with gaudy spring numbers when it comes to situations like yours. Lonnie's are pretty gaudy.

If you need to fill a starting spot with a SP who won't kill you, I like Gee. If you're trying to roster a flier with upside, he's about as boring as they come.
Exactly. There are probably some WW pitchers out there who will surprise people this season, but I don't think any are on that list. I think Gee will inflict the least damage.

If some idiot drafted Chase Headley and wasn't aware that he was injured, so didn't draft a backup, what would be a good option as a fill-in off of the wire? Available are:Trevor PlouffeMichael YoungMatt CarpenterMaicer IzturisLonnie Chisenhalland others of this quality
I like Carpenter, plus he'll get 2B eligibility at some point, so you may still be able to use him as a 2B/CI/MI when Headley returns, depending on your roster requirements.

Taking a flier on Arrieta. I'll probably drop him before the season starts but he is having an encouraging spring and some decent K numbers. Mainly I picked him up because of a writer on Fangraphs bold predictions. Who knows, I'm not really looking to find the consistent guy who is a spot starter, really trying to find a breakout guy off the WW since it seems there are a few every year.

Is Matt Garza worth owning in a deep total pts league? Someone just dropped Iwakama. Both will be bench pitching depth.
Garza is roster worthy if you can afford to stash him until May.I like Iwakuma but I think he'll be one of those guys who makes multiple appearances on standard league waiver wires throughout the season.

Is Matt Garza worth owning in a deep total pts league? Someone just dropped Iwakama. Both will be bench pitching depth.
Garza is roster worthy if you can afford to stash him until May.I like Iwakuma but I think he'll be one of those guys who makes multiple appearances on standard league waiver wires throughout the season.
Thanks. GO WARRIORS!
:hifive: Just talked to my daughter who is a Junior at Marquette. She has no voice after screaming through the game at McCaffrey's last night.

Users who are viewing this thread