What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (3 Viewers)

Watch for Cingrani to get called up if Cueto goes on the DL. I'm thinking about dropping Ethier, Hellickson, or Teheran for him.
It would be a short stint. They're talking about only holding him out of one start without DL.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Johnny Cueto will be placed on the disabled list with a lat strain.
It's not good news, but it could have been a lot worse. The diagnosis was likely made after Cueto visited with the Reds' medical staff Sunday. With Cueto now sidelined indefinitely, look for Tony Cingrani to be called up to take his spot in the starting rotation.

Is it wrong for me to hope someone on the Cards dies so Matt Adams gets everyday at bats?
picked him up for a dollar at the end of my nl only draft. I think he will eventually get traded this year, just hopefully not to an al team. there is just a log jam of players for the Cards blocking him. Even if Beltran/Holliday get hurt, I wonder if they will just call up Tavares instead of moving Craig full time to a corner spot.Adams has a ton of talent.
Without having any knowledge, I would seriously doubt that. As of right now, he's a really nice, dirt cheap insurance policy for a contender with some older players. I'm not sure how STL goes about things, but Allen Craig was 27 before he got everyday ABs and and the WS MVP was 28. Carpenter is 27 and is now finally getting that opportunity. Jon Jay was 26 before he got regular ABs, and is now looking to have his first 500 AB season at the age of 28. They don't mind letting good young players stay blocked for a long time. In fact, the evidence suggests they might prefer it. I'm an owner myself, but it appears that the 24 YO Adams might have a long time to wait with this franchise.
I think its also important to point out they only have 1 hole on their roster at the moment, and that's shortstop. So unless someone is moving a quality shortstop, I don't see why they'd move Adams.
That's exactly why they would move him. We'll see what happens in the next few months, but I suspect the whispers of Tulo to Cards in the spring may be revisited in July if the Rockies are not in contention. Cards have a lot of attractive pieces right now and -- as you pointed out -- only one glaring hole on the roster.
Please, please, please, please, please trade him to the Rockies. PLEASE!!!!!!!
:goodposting:

That would be awesome. For now though I'm hoping he can just force his way into the lineup by continuing to hit .600 and drive in a couple runs every time he plays.

Is it wrong for me to hope someone on the Cards dies so Matt Adams gets everyday at bats?
picked him up for a dollar at the end of my nl only draft. I think he will eventually get traded this year, just hopefully not to an al team. there is just a log jam of players for the Cards blocking him. Even if Beltran/Holliday get hurt, I wonder if they will just call up Tavares instead of moving Craig full time to a corner spot.Adams has a ton of talent.
Without having any knowledge, I would seriously doubt that. As of right now, he's a really nice, dirt cheap insurance policy for a contender with some older players. I'm not sure how STL goes about things, but Allen Craig was 27 before he got everyday ABs and and the WS MVP was 28. Carpenter is 27 and is now finally getting that opportunity. Jon Jay was 26 before he got regular ABs, and is now looking to have his first 500 AB season at the age of 28. They don't mind letting good young players stay blocked for a long time. In fact, the evidence suggests they might prefer it. I'm an owner myself, but it appears that the 24 YO Adams might have a long time to wait with this franchise.
I think its also important to point out they only have 1 hole on their roster at the moment, and that's shortstop. So unless someone is moving a quality shortstop, I don't see why they'd move Adams.
That's exactly why they would move him. We'll see what happens in the next few months, but I suspect the whispers of Tulo to Cards in the spring may be revisited in July if the Rockies are not in contention. Cards have a lot of attractive pieces right now and -- as you pointed out -- only one glaring hole on the roster.
Please, please, please, please, please trade him to the Rockies. PLEASE!!!!!!!
:goodposting:

That would be awesome. For now though I'm hoping he can just force his way into the lineup by continuing to hit .600 and drive in a couple runs every time he plays.
I wonder how much longer Craig and/or Jay would have to struggle for that to happen. It's unlikely that they will, but stranger things have happened.

Would it really take 3-4 major league ready prospects to get Tulo from the Rockies? Didn't he sign a huge contract extension? And he hasn't exactly been the picture of health.
His contract is for $157.8/10yr. It started in 2011 and lasts through 2020 with an option year. First year of the deal they certainly got their money's worth. Last year, not so much. Its a lot of money, but its not ARod or Pujols dollars. With inflation, the AAV at the end of the contract might only need 2 WAR to break even. Its actually not a bad deal IMO, though his health is of course a concern.

With Danny Espinosa getting hit in the hand, it looks like I need a new SS (blessing in disguise perhaps...). There isnt a whole lot on the waiver wire:

Jhonny Peralta

Pete Kozma

Brandon Crawford

Marwin Gonzalez

Zack Cozart

Ruben Tejada

Any thoughts? Someone else I should be considering?
I wouldn't recommend Cozart for the long haul, but if it's weekly he has 7 home games with 4 against the Marlins.

Speaking of that, Cingrani's first start should be home against Marlins.

Oswaldo Arcia is coming up, for a few days at least. 36 bombs last year. .374/.540 in 6 seasons in minors, and on fire in AAA this year.

I think I'm adding him over Cingrani.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oswaldo Arcia is coming up, for a few days at least. 36 bombs last year. .374/.540 in 6 seasons in minors, and on fire in AAA this year.

I had a spot and added him. If he impresses he could stay up. And he's got legit power.
I'm gonna cut Sal Perez for him. I actually like Sal quite a bit, but it's an OBP league which would make him a very ordinary catcher, even if he hits 17-20 HRs.

What are you guys doing with Masterson? FanGraphs (well one of their writers anyway) is making the case to sell high.
There usually isn't a middle ground with Masterson. Really good, or really bad. The optimist says now that he's had a few years to adapt to being a starter and the pressure of being the ace after being jerked around in Boston that his really bad starts should be fewer and far between. The pessimist says he will regress to previous form. I lean towards the former, but I'd be lying if I said I am comfortable starting him vs. Boston this week. I'm going to, just don't feel great about it.

Is Jarrod Parker droppable now?
I was just thinking about posting the same this morning. In a shallower league, I think okay to drop, but I'm holding onto him in my deeper league. I generally think two starts is too quick to drop, but he struggled this spring too, so I'm worried this may just be what he is.
Id say he is now
Fangraphs has a good article up about how his struggles seem legit. The Razzball guys have said he has looked as bad as the data and stats show too.

Is Cingrani going to do what Maurer did to his owners? Barely has 100 IP's above A ball and his BB rate in AA is scary. Assuming he is in for Cueto he does get the Fish to start things off and should come back with the Cubs though. Risky, potentially very rewarding, but I'm not going there.

Is Cingrani going to do what Maurer did to his owners? Barely has 100 IP's above A ball and his BB rate in AA is scary. Assuming he is in for Cueto he does get the Fish to start things off and should come back with the Cubs though. Risky, potentially very rewarding, but I'm not going there.
This is why I pretty much always elect to go with the hitting prospect over the pitching prospect.

I can throw a batter on the bench if he needs a little time to adjust and when I throw him in there for a day, the downside is 0-4.

A pitching prospect can drop a Maurer on you and then waste a roster spot for the next 5 days (or far more if they've made you too gunshy to roll them out the next time).

For pitching prospects, I'd rather the be the 2nd or 3rd guy to own them. Let them have their initial success around the league, let them get to and through that big adjustment period that will follow, then get them cheap.

This is why I pretty much always elect to go with the hitting prospect over the pitching prospect.

I can throw a batter on the bench if he needs a little time to adjust and when I throw him in there for a day, the downside is 0-4.

A pitching prospect can drop a Maurer on you and then waste a roster spot for the next 5 days (or far more if they've made you too gunshy to roll them out the next time).

For pitching prospects, I'd rather the be the 2nd or 3rd guy to own them. Let them have their initial success around the league, let them get to and through that big adjustment period that will follow, then get them cheap.
Yep. I prefer my young pitchers in the form of Masterson, Buchholz, and Minor types. For every Jarrod Parker 2012 there are ten Jarrod Parker 2013's.

Yeah, I don't do pitching prospects anymore. Seems like there is always a Chacin on the waiver wire to scoop up instead. I miss out on the Kershaws but oh well.

Cingrani's career minor-league WHIP is 0.926 with a K/9 of 11.8, and a K/BB of 4.63.

Maurer's corresponding numbers: 1.237, 8.4, 3.05

I really don't see them as close to the same pitcher.

Cingrani's career minor-league WHIP is 0.926 with a K/9 of 11.8, and a K/BB of 4.63.

Semantics, you're missing my point.

:popcorn:

:popcorn:
:clyde:

LHUCKS alias?

LHUCKS alias?
Good call here, IMO.

:lmao:

I think it's a pretty big difference that Cingrani has been in the majors before. Sure, it wasn't enough innings to judge anything on, but at least he won't have the first time jitters affecting him.

LHUCKS alias?
Wow.

LHUCKS alias?
Wow.
As someone once told me, if you want serious responses you have to quit being a ####.

I think it's a pretty big difference that Cingrani has been in the majors before. Sure, it wasn't enough innings to judge anything on, but at least he won't have the first time jitters affecting him.
Debut jitters aren't my concern, lack of overall experience is. Is Cingrani an ace for the next decade plus? If so, history says he might be fine from the get go - might not. Most good pitchers with such little experience against quality hitting often struggle out of the gate. Or once they've had a few starts they don't know how to react once teams adjust to him. So the most likely scenarios are not pretty and quickly sent back down or favorable early results followed by a couple of blow up's after a few turns. If that happens, then what do you do? and all the good he did for his first few turns was offset by the blow up's.

Just not a game I like to dabble with. This early in the season anyway, try to reserve riskier plays until much later.

Are people really spending a lot on Cingrani? Sure, I picked him up, but I view him as a streamer-type. He's got a couple of favorable starts, and then he's probably back down to AAA. And he can't blow my ratios any worse than what Jarrod Parker was doing.

So for those scoring at home:

A- Don't draft pitchingB- Trade all your pitching depth for hitting talent

C- Don't play Chad Billinglsey, play Brandon Maurer-- It is silly to roster old stand-by pitchers when you can stream away.

D- Play Chad Billingsley, don't play Tony Cingrani-- It is silly to take risks like this, stick with the old stand-by until later in the season.

E- Post rosters of your super awesome keeper league team.

F- Start Brandon Crawford and ride the hot streak

G- Profit...?

He's just considering the chance of downside that comes with any young SP, as an adjustment period is coming at some point. Maurer may not be a good comp, as he might just not be a very good prospect.

I could see Scherzer providing a nice comp here.

Cingrani reminds me a lot of a young Max Scherzer murdering AAA back in '08. 79 Ks in 53 IP. Then he dazzled in a 4 IP debut (7Ks). He then had 3 inconsistent starts, got sent to the pen until September where he made 4 starts with success in short outings. All told, he had a solid rookie effort with some nice K's and a nice era (helped greatly by time in the pen). But he only made it to the 6th inning in 3 starts (2 quality starts), despite being called up in April.

I was so excited when I nabbed Scherzer before that call-up. He had a successful rookie campaign, but the other owners in the league have had 4-5 chances to own him since (I'm excited to have him again for the last 2 seasons).

We could go on.

For some out of this world elite prospects........

David Price had a 4.42 ERA in his first year as a starter (and he was an elite prospect that was well developed when drafted)

Kershaw, 4.26

Lincecum, 4.00

King Felix, 4.52

No idea how it'll got for Cingrani, but it's almost certain that it won't all be sunshine and roses and it'll be a couple years or so before before he's the kind of guy you toss out there with no worries.

So for those scoring at home:

A- Don't draft pitchingB- Trade all your pitching depth for hitting talent

C- Don't play Chad Billinglsey, play Brandon Maurer-- It is silly to roster old stand-by pitchers when you can stream away.

D- Play Chad Billingsley, don't play Tony Cingrani-- It is silly to take risks like this, stick with the old stand-by until later in the season.

E- Post rosters of your super awesome keeper league team.

F- Start Brandon Crawford and ride the hot streak

G- Profit...?
A - you forgot 'too early' at the end

B - delete all, your, and depth and add at the end at positions with injuries a/o ineffectiveness

C - is totally false

D - yes

E - :stirspot:

F - over Stephen Drew? Yes.

G - It's worked before and while just 2 weeks in it's working now too.

He's just considering the chance of downside that comes with any young SP, as an adjustment period is coming at some point. Maurer may not be a good comp, as he might just not be a very good prospect.

Cingrani reminds me a lot of a young Max Scherzer murdering AAA back in '08. 79 Ks in 53 IP. Then he dazzled in a 4 IP debut (7Ks). He then had 3 inconsistent starts, got sent to the pen until September where he made 4 starts with success in short outings. All told, he had a solid rookie effort with some nice K's and a nice era (helped greatly by time in the pen). But he only made it to the 6th inning in 3 starts (2 quality starts), despite being called up in April.

I was so excited when I nabbed Scherzer before that call-up. He had a successful rookie campaign, but the other owners in the league have had 4-5 chances to own him since (I'm excited to have him again for the last 2 seasons).

We could go on.

David Price had a 4.42 ERA in his first year as a starter (and he was an elite prospect that was well developed when drafted)

Kershaw, 4.26

Lincecum, 4.00

No idea how it'll got for Cingrani, but it's almost certain that it won't all be sunshine and roses and it'll be a couple years or so before before he's the kind of guy you toss out there with no worries.
:hifive:

We could go on.

Kershaw, 4.26

Lincecum, 4.00

Scherzer is not a good comp, He's a guy with great stuff. Cingrani is largely a deception guy, so Collmenter is a better comp, though Cingrani is better prospect than Collmenter was.

We could go on.

Kershaw, 4.26

Lincecum, 4.00

Scherzer is not a good comp, He's a guy with great stuff. Cingrani is largely a deception guy, so Collmenter is a better comp, though Cingrani is better prospect than Collmenter was.
I hope you're near a couch.... :scared:

On a serious note, I don't really know much about Cingrani. Just going off the late-April call-up throwing up silly K numbers in the minors, as a reason to look at Max (and that's the last time I've really paid much attention to any new SP call-up)

I agree he will probably have struggles at some point (especially in GABP), but I think you're overthinking this. The most likely result is he comes up, breezes through the Marlins and Cubs because he's good and they're not and then gets sent right back down and gets cut in fantasy leagues. 2 or 3 good starts by a good pitcher on a good team against crap teams. Not worth a ton, but if it's free it's still something.

cheese said:
I agree he will probably have struggles at some point (especially in GABP), but I think you're overthinking this. The most likely result is he comes up, breezes through the Marlins and Cubs because he's good and they're not and then gets sent right back down and gets cut in fantasy leagues. 2 or 3 good starts by a good pitcher on a good team against crap teams. Not worth a ton, but if it's free it's still something.
Only problem with the above. If we're talking about your run of the mill off and on the waiver wire pitcher it's easy to give him the axe after dominating two lousy lineups. Fantasy owners have a hard time letting go of a prospect who starts off hot, understandably so. With the vet you have a good idea it will end, with a kid you do not. It's a situation I personally like to avoid, one of those cases in which whatever decision you do make will be the wrong one. The perfect scenario would be if Cincy takes the decision out of owners' hands by just sending him back down. Obviously no guarantees in that, unlike Straily and his cameo vs. Houston week 1.

I know he's probably rostered in most deeper leagues but in a couple of shallower leagues I picked up Straily this week for the inevitable promotion when Parker loses his rotation spot. Straily K'd 9 with no walks over 5.2 IP in his lone minor league start so far

MAC_32 said:
oso diablo said:
MAC_32 said:
Cingrani's career minor-league WHIP is 0.926 with a K/9 of 11.8, and a K/BB of 4.63. Maurer's corresponding numbers: 1.237, 8.4, 3.05 I really don't see them as close to the same pitcher.
stats aren't semantics, but ok.if your point was merely that rookie/young pitchers are risky, well, that's quite banal. I would hope we could analyze a bit deeper than that, however, and try to decipher the difference between a Maurer and a Cingrani. Cingrani's stat profile looks a lot more like that of Jose Fernandez, to take a recently relevant example.Disclosure: i own Cingrani in NL-only keeper league, but am letting him sit on the wire in a redraft mixed (though that's only because i don't have a good cut right now). I would definitely stream him at this point otherwise.

I know he's probably rostered in most deeper leagues but in a couple of shallower leagues I picked up Straily this week for the inevitable promotion when Parker loses his rotation spot. Straily K'd 9 with no walks over 5.2 IP in his lone minor league start so far
I may just flat out drop Parker FOR Straily

MAC_32 said:
oso diablo said:
MAC_32 said:
Cingrani's career minor-league WHIP is 0.926 with a K/9 of 11.8, and a K/BB of 4.63. Maurer's corresponding numbers: 1.237, 8.4, 3.05 I really don't see them as close to the same pitcher.
stats aren't semantics, but ok.if your point was merely that rookie/young pitchers are risky, well, that's quite banal. I would hope we could analyze a bit deeper than that, however, and try to decipher the difference between a Maurer and a Cingrani. Cingrani's stat profile looks a lot more like that of Jose Fernandez, to take a recently relevant example.Disclosure: i own Cingrani in NL-only keeper league, but am letting him sit on the wire in a redraft mixed (though that's only because i don't have a good cut right now). I would definitely stream him at this point otherwise.
My point is less with rookie pitchers in general and more to do with rookie pitchers who have as little experience above A ball as Cingrani. This was one of my primary gripes with Maurer a couple of weeks ago too, that's why I brought him up. The other was his lack of production, but if you filter out his first two months of 2012 his numbers look much, much better. Not Cingrani's 2012 level, I don't think anyway, but close. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but how many pitchers with such a small IP total above A ball came up to the bigs and were at the very least productive contributors? how many BB'd their way back to the minors before the blink of an eye? is the risk worth the potential reward?

MAC_32 said:
oso diablo said:
MAC_32 said:
My point is less with rookie pitchers in general and more to do with rookie pitchers who have as little experience above A ball as Cingrani. This was one of my primary gripes with Maurer a couple of weeks ago too, that's why I brought him up. The other was his lack of production, but if you filter out his first two months of 2012 his numbers look much, much better. Not Cingrani's 2012 level, I don't think anyway, but close. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but how many pitchers with such a small IP total above A ball came up to the bigs and were at the very least productive contributors? how many BB'd their way back to the minors before the blink of an eye? is the risk worth the potential reward?
Even if everything you say is completely spot on, I think the answer to your very last question is yes. The risk is whatever damage can get done to him in 1 home start vs the Marlins. The potential reward is that he is great for a few starts and somehow sticks in the rotation and you can decide start to start if he will keep it up.

pollardsvision said:

17 homers last year. 36 doubles though...maybe that's what you were looking at? That .374 number seems off too. (329/308 last year between AA/A+)

Anyhoo, I'm a big fan and he's looking good tonight. He's up because Wilkin Ramirez is on paternity leave for a couple of days. What may happen is that Arcia shows enough in a couple of days to force Hicks to the minors. Which would make Mastroianni a potential WW grab for steals. Then again, Arcia is only 21, so if he's up and not playing every day, it's a waste. Parmelee is playing ok and Willingham is in left -- so, something would have to give.

i'm going to see if I can get anything of value for dunn, and if nothing by the end of the week I'm cutting him. he looks awful.

Users who are viewing this thread