Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana?

I'm in a 10 teamer with shallow benches. I own Fowler but am thinking about switching to Lorenzo Cain.

Thoughts on Cain vs Fowler?

I would start with anyone looking to replace Fowler right now is out of their minds and should not have drafted him in the first place if they were going to ask questions like this 3 weeks into the season given his current numbers.

The league has a deep WW because we only start 3 OF's (must be position eligible, LF/CF/RF) and 1 Utility. Fowler actually went undrafted. I've been carrying him but will drop him if someone else gets hot.

Please leave out your personal feelings on how stupid my league is because there are so few guys rostered and so many guys on the wire, that doesn't help at all.

Just looking for an opinion. Fowler vs Cain.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because of the way the Cubs employ Rizzo in the field in obvious bunt situations, he now has two official games as a  2Bman. Three more and he gets 2B in yahoo. 

Way to tim up the thread

If you have pitchers on your roster that you're afraid to start against the Padres, you might as well drop them. 

Fowler is at the top of a very good lineup and plays half his games at altitude too. I think replacing Fowler w/ Cain is overthinking it a bit. Fowler is going to score a lot of runs hitting from the 1 or 2 spot, steal a handful of bases, is showing some unexpected pop, and probably won't hurt your avg/obp. hold tight, imo.

Alright, thanks.

I'm in a 10 teamer with shallow benches. I own Fowler but am thinking about switching to Lorenzo Cain.

I would start with anyone looking to replace Fowler right now is out of their minds and should not have drafted him in the first place if they were going to ask questions like this 3 weeks into the season given his current numbers.

The league has a deep WW because we only start 3 OF's (must be position eligible, LF/CF/RF) and 1 Utility. Fowler actually went undrafted. I've been carrying him but will drop him if someone else gets hot.

Please leave out your personal feelings on how stupid my league is because there are so few guys rostered and so many guys on the wire, that doesn't help at all.

I wasn't poking fun at your league, I was poking fun at you for considering someone else other than Fowler given what he's done so far. If that's droppable production I'm baffled why you picked him up. I'd have picked someone I wouldn't drop if they exceeded expectations/showed signs of a break out as Fowler has.

rookie owner in 14-team mixed just dropped Asdrubal Cabrera. back up the FAAB truck on this one?

Yes. It isn't going to get much better than that in a 14-team league's FA pool. Plus, you get five months of potential usage as well. Unless you are just loaded at SS/MI, I wouldn't be shy to put a very sizable bid out there.

What are we doing with Brandon McCarthy?

Dumped him in one league, tenuously stashing him in another.

Dump league - deep roster but friendlier to stashing young guys. Salary cap keeper auction - previous prices factored into keepers), relatively low IP limit, daily lineups/waivers so can rotate in marginal pitchers with good matchups.

Stash league - also deep, but it's a redraft with weekly lineups/FAAB. Decided before last week I wasn't going to judge him for a double dip week vs. New York and Colorado. He's on notice though. If I needed a starter this week I'd ahve dropped him, but I didn't so I'm holding...for now. May only last this week though.

I wasn't poking fun at your league, I was poking fun at you for considering someone else other than Fowler given what he's done so far. If that's droppable production I'm baffled why you picked him up. I'd have picked someone I wouldn't drop if they exceeded expectations/showed signs of a break out as Fowler has.

Cain has shown similar signs. Over the past 2 weeks Cain is 40th overall in Yahoo while Fowler is 172nd. I understand that I don't want to be too hasty but I'm also not going to carry someone in a weekly league that doesn't stay somewhat consistent.

Dump league - deep roster but friendlier to stashing young guys. Salary cap keeper auction - previous prices factored into keepers), relatively low IP limit, daily lineups/waivers so can rotate in marginal pitchers with good matchups.

Stash league - also deep, but it's a redraft with weekly lineups/FAAB. Decided before last week I wasn't going to judge him for a double dip week vs. New York and Colorado. He's on notice though. If I needed a starter this week I'd ahve dropped him, but I didn't so I'm holding...for now. May only last this week though.

I'd dump him but I probably wouldn't have drafted him in the first place. He doesn't contribute many strikeouts even when he's pitching well.

Cain has shown similar signs. Over the past 2 weeks Cain is 40th overall in Yahoo while Fowler is 172nd. I understand that I don't want to be too hasty but I'm also not going to carry someone in a weekly league that doesn't stay somewhat consistent.

Fowler also missed a bunch of games the past two weeks with injuries/snow outs

Fowler also missed a bunch of games the past two weeks with injuries/snow outs

Fine. I'm hoping others in my league feel the same as most do here......I've offered Fowler in a trade that would get me an upgrade at SP.

I'd dump him but I probably wouldn't have drafted him in the first place. He doesn't contribute many strikeouts even when he's pitching well.

Move to NL...good defense behind him...at his price rate I was hopeful. The Pittsburgh start is what got to me. Home game against a below average offense - 6 2/3 6 R (4 earned) 4 K 10 H 2 BB. Ugh. Next 5 are penciled in as Colorado, San Fran, LA, Philly, Miami. The latter 3 are 2 start weeks and Miami, I want to hold on until at least then and if the next 2 starts go well may start him. We'll see.

His ratios have been decent past couple years, so I am wondering if this is just a small sample size, regression, or a lucky BABIP (I'll admit I haven't looked it up).

His ratios have been decent past couple years, so I am wondering if this is just a small sample size, regression, or a lucky BABIP (I'll admit I haven't looked it up).

He's had 3 bad matchups - @ COL, @ NYY, vs. STL. Problem is he got lit up in the good one vs. PIT too.

He's had 3 bad matchups - @ COL, @ NYY, vs. STL. Problem is he got lit up in the good one vs. PIT too.

I don't see what's to like about McCarthy other than that he's a good guy and has a hot wife. He always gets hurt and has never had double digit wins. His only sub-4 ERA seasons were in a pitchers' park and his strikeout rates are always sub-par. He doesn't walk people which is good but neither does Bronson Arroyo.

I don't see what's to like about McCarthy other than that he's a good guy and has a hot wife. He always gets hurt and has never had double digit wins. His only sub-4 ERA seasons were in a pitchers' park and his strikeout rates are always sub-par. He doesn't walk people which is good but neither does Bronson Arroyo.

:goodposting:

He's WW fodder. He's owned in 36% of CBS leagues and was just traded in one of those for Cliff Pennington. I'd drop him and pick him up when he pitches vs the Marlins. Or not honestly. :shrug:

Re McCarthy - matchups. He's the type I usually like to stream in daily leagues and exploit favorable matchups/2 start weeks in weekly leagues. Have to have a DL too. Not one I'm married to, but he's been a nice back end piece when healthy the last couple years.

Any idea on Zunino's ETA? I have Taillon in my minor league spot right now, but wondering if Zunino would be a better option (ML spot doesn't carry over from season to season).

Also, Rendon available in my league. (I don't have any shortage of 3B eligible however ... Headley, Prado, Frazier). My only option would be to cut Teheran.

Also, Rendon available in my league. (I don't have any shortage of 3B eligible however ... Headley, Prado, Frazier). My only option would be to cut Teheran.

When in doubt between a hitter and a pitcher, always take the bat

Any idea on Zunino's ETA? I have Taillon in my minor league spot right now, but wondering if Zunino would be a better option (ML spot doesn't carry over from season to season).

Catcher prospects usually take time to adjust, in redraft formats I wouldn't bother. Since this reads like a long term stash question - it depends. If the league is deep enough and you don't have your wagon already hitched to too many other developmental prospects he's viable, but you can't have a roster full of Cingrani, Bauer, Zunino, Yelich, and Gyorko types.

Catcher prospects usually take time to adjust, in redraft formats I wouldn't bother. Since this reads like a long term stash question - it depends. If the league is deep enough and you don't have your wagon already hitched to too many other developmental prospects he's viable, but you can't have a roster full of Cingrani, Bauer, Zunino, Yelich, and Gyorko types.

Zunino has cooled down after a hot start at AAA. He's 2 for his last 25.

He still only has 250 professional PAs. I don't think saving Jack Z's job is enough reason to rush him.

Shelby Miller

sell high or continue to ride him?

Ride. I think he will pitch very well then fade towards the end of the season as he fatigues. I'd consider selling him in H2H's sometime this summer though.

Shelby Miller

sell high or continue to ride him?

Ride. I think he will pitch very well then fade towards the end of the season as he fatigues. I'd consider selling him in H2H's sometime this summer though.

An innings limit is a concern with any young pitcher. Miller threw about 140 IP in 2011 and 150 in 2012. I haven't heard anything about how far they'll let him go this year.

Man is Morneau even worth having on a 12-team roster.

Probably not, especially when the Twins only play a couple times a week.

Twins on pace for a 65 games season.

Justin Maxwell broke his hand on a HBP and Robbie Grossman is being called up from OKC.

Grossman, who came to Houston in the Wandy Rodriguez deal, is an interesting flyer in deeeeep OBP leagues. He doesn't have much power or speed but he has good plate discipline. If he can carry that over to the next level, he could pick up a few walks and get stranded on first base while the other Astros strike out.

Bid at your own risk.

Kinda bummed I didn't have room for Corbin back when I mentioned him in here. Guy has been pitching very well and finally got picked up in my league. If he's still out there, I'd grab him.

Kinda bummed I didn't have room for Corbin back when I mentioned him in here. Guy has been pitching very well and finally got picked up in my league. If he's still out there, I'd grab him.

yeah, he has been infuego and holding my DL ridden pitching staff together.

Helton going to the DL? Colvin?

Charlie Blackmon and Arenado are the other possibilities.

Or Cuddy to 1st and EY full time.

That's what they're doing today but both Colvin or Blackmon would be a left handed bat to cut into Young's playing time.

I've stashed Arenado but I think it's probably a couple of months too early.

Anyone else making a move on McClouth? He's getting on, scoring runs and stealing bases. He'd be my 3rd Oriole and I don't know if I'm just being a homer.

No way.

Anyone else making a move on McClouth? He's getting on, scoring runs and stealing bases. He'd be my 3rd Oriole and I don't know if I'm just being a homer.

No way.

I didn't pick him up (think someone else did), but I don't see anything wrong with taking a flyer on McLouth. He was solid last last year, he's been solid this year, taking walks and getting on-base. He's shown some power and speed in the past, and it's not like he's ancient.

McLouth at the top of the lineup could turn out to be a nice guy to have for fantasy.

He was terrible for a couple of years, but maybe he's gotten himself right in BAL. Stranger things have happened.

.073 ISO, 0 HR and 1 RBI so far. The OBP is nice but the power is at Juan Pierre levels.

McLouth isn't going to lead the league in steals, so he needs to hit the ball harder to be worth starting.

• Like 1

.073 ISO, 0 HR and 1 RBI so far. The OBP is nice but the power is at Juan Pierre levels. McLouth isn't going to lead the league in steals, so he needs to hit the ball harder to be worth starting.
The other way to look at is this: This a player that is performing far below his career norms in power production so far (and would have to assume that'll improve over the season), yet he's still a major help in 3 categories so far (R, SB, OBP). It's reasonable to expect he'll regress some in those categories, though not see the bottom drop out either. He's displayed OB skills in the past, and he's hitting at the top of a talented lineup. It's reasonable that he could return to modest HR totals (12-15), though like most lead-off guys, he's not going to be an RBI star.He could help in 4 categories. Maybe he won't, which is fine because guys that help in 4 categories generally cost a Top 50 or so pick. He's probably not Alex Gordon, but he's got an outside shot of offering Alex Gordon type numbers at a fraction of the cost. Speaking of Gordon, for his career and for this year, McLouth strikes out less and walks more. For this season (and they are virtually identical for their careers), McLouth hits the ball on the ground less. They are hitting LDs at the same rate this year and McLouth does more over the course of their career. He hits at the top of a better line-up.Just thought I'd throw that out there. I have no idea what McLouth will do, but he's absolutely worth taking a low-cost gamble on. Edited by pollardsvision