What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (5 Viewers)

Still not sure what to do with Cashner.

I hate to cut loose a Padre starter that throws gas, but that's about as unimpressive as it can get for 7.1 shutout innings.

Still not sure what to do with Cashner.I hate to cut loose a Padre starter that throws gas, but that's about as unimpressive as it can get for 7.1 shutout innings.
Yeah, I didn't watch the game but it looked as though he was struggling to fing the K zone again at times last night. I don't think I trust him in Tampa.

Who would you guys be more hesitant to cut, Cashner or Markakis?

Can't leave a potential BOS closer sitting on the wire so somebody's got to go.

Cashner's sort of my SP7, in an 8 SP league where I'm fine streaming the last 2 rotation spots.

Love Markakis as a RL ballplayer, but his 15 HRs, solid counting stats and OBP likely won't do me a ton of good. He's a utility spot consideration most nights, but I've got guys with a more upside that I use in that spot for the moment (Arendado, Gattis, Kubel, Middlebrooks, Ozuna, and M.Adams). If I'm not playing a guy every night, I'd rather they had some upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you missed out on Dee Gordon and need a MI, now would be a good time to swap out Brandon Crawford for Stephen Drew.

Who would you guys be more hesitant to cut, Cashner or Markakis?Can't leave a potential BOS closer sitting on the wire so somebody's got to go.Cashner's sort of my SP7, in an 8 SP league where I'm fine streaming the last 2 rotation spots.Love Markakis as a RL ballplayer, but his 15 HRs, solid counting stats and OBP likely won't do me a ton of good. He's a utility spot consideration most nights, but I've got guys with a more upside that I use in that spot for the moment (Arendado, Gattis, Kubel, Middlebrooks, Ozuna, and M.Adams). If I'm not playing a guy every night, I'd rather they had some upside.
I would not carry Markakis. Good ballplayer and all but boring as hell for fantasy.

Arenado or Kubel (If he's facing a righty) should be your Utility right now I would think.

Anyone giving Justin Grimm a spin against the Brewers?
:hey:

Putting him in with Halladay down.
I don't put a whole lot of stock into what I read on ESPN, but FYI, this is what is in their Daily Notes section.....

Justin Grimm was named the AL Rookie of the Month for April, but showed signs of coming back to earth a bit in his most recent outing, a 3-1 loss to Chicago in which he doubled his walk total for the season from four to eight. Also concerning is just how much better the Milwaukee Brewers have been at home this season versus playing on the road. A team batting average of .280 and 5.05 runs per game in Milwaukee is far more daunting than its .229 average and 3.55 runs when traveling.
After the outings I got from Cliff Lee and Cashner last night (H2H League) I don't feel so much like gambling anymore and will not be rolling with Grimm.

Grimm's minor league numbers lead me to believe regression is likely on the way, since it looks like he is missing out on the Astros series this weekend I'd stay away. There are better risks to take

Should I drop Danny Espinosa for Andrelton Simmons?

And what's up with BJ Upton? Someone dropped a week or so ago, and I picked him up, thinking that he'll eventually turn it around.

Bob Loblaw, on 07 May 2013 - 11:52, said:Should I drop Danny Espinosa for Andrelton Simmons?And what's up with BJ Upton? Someone dropped a week or so ago, and I picked him up, thinking that he'll eventually turn it around.
I like Andrelton, and would make an effort to get him, but I wouldn't drop Espinosa for him just yet. 20/20ish MIs have to be owned, even they really aren't good hitters. Wouldn't be surprised to see Andrelton have a better year though.Gotta pick BJ up. Not a fan of him either, but he's a good buy low candidate. He's been getting really unlucky. His numbers should be there in the end.

BJ is completely lost at the plate, there's nothing unlucky about it...4 K's in a Bronson Arroyo start? Ugh. Definitely worth a bench stash but don't let him anywhere near your lineup until proven otheriwse.

Andrelton vs. Espinosa depends entirely on your team needs. HR and SB? Danny. R and AVG? Andrelton. I hate owning streaky/low avg hitters like Espinosa. At least relying on them anyway, prefer to add those types as fill-in's during the season...so, 'm lower on him than most.

BJ is completely lost at the plate, there's nothing unlucky about it...4 K's in a Bronson Arroyo start? Ugh. Definitely worth a bench stash but don't let him anywhere near your lineup until proven otheriwse.

Andrelton vs. Espinosa depends entirely on your team needs. HR and SB? Danny. R and AVG? Andrelton. I hate owning streaky/low avg hitters like Espinosa. At least relying on them anyway, prefer to add those types as fill-in's during the season...so, 'm lower on him than most.
I am holding onto Espinosa as I do need HR and SB. I'm decent in R, and since it's OPS instead of AVG, Danny's power will make up for the lower BA.

I'm not going to go too far defending BJ Upton. I absolutely hate that the Braves signed him. But of course he looks lost at the plate. He's looked that way for good chunks of each of the last 5 seasons. But he gets it together just enough to give you 20/30.

I don't see how you can leave him on the wire in any league that's not very shallow.

pollardsvision said:
I'm not going to go too far defending BJ Upton. I absolutely hate that the Braves signed him. But of course he looks lost at the plate. He's looked that way for good chunks of each of the last 5 seasons. But he gets it together just enough to give you 20/30.

I don't see how you can leave him on the wire in any league that's not very shallow.
I've picked him up in my keeper league to stash.

pollardsvision said:

I mostly agree with you and he's always been a FAR better fantasy player than real player. The key is that BJ has to somehow remain an everyday player despite butchering their lineup with his slash line. For this season at least, that should be a given with his contract. Right?

pollardsvision said:

I mostly agree with you and he's always been a FAR better fantasy player than real player. The key is that BJ has to somehow remain an everyday player despite butchering their lineup with his slash line. For this season at least, that should be a given with his contract. Right?
Reasonable scenario that could cause Upton to at least get his PT squeezed some in the short term a few weeks from now. Gattis is still hitting, McCann is healthy, Heyward comes back from the DL strong,.and BJ is still lost.

He has 3-4 weeks to get it right or he could be in trouble.

pollardsvision said:
Gotta pick BJ up. Not a fan of him either, but he's a good buy low candidate. He's been getting really unlucky. His numbers should be there in the end.
He's been a little unlucky - .197 BABIP when his career norm is about .300. I'm not a huge fan of hitter BABIP but a guy as fast as BJ should do alright there.

But he's also striking out even more than usual (40K in 122 PA) and his isolated power is way down. Even if a few more hit balls were randomly dropping for him he'd still be having a pretty awful year.

pollardsvision said:

For his contract and his defense, yes, I think his playing time is fairly safe.

There are options to eat into it though.

There's the Gattis issue, but that would require Justin or Heyward moving to CF. Not ideal, and Gattis looked pretty shaky last night.

He's nowhere near it yet, but Schafer could eat into his playing time. He can play CF and he's getting on-base this year. ATL desperately needs somebody to lock down the lead-off spot and I think. Schafer and Simmons are really the only good options there.

BJ's got a big leash, but the Braves do have some options to eat into his ABs if he doesn't turn it around.

My favorite thing about B.J. Upton is his "I just missed that" look toward the pitcher as he walks back to the dugout after a swinging strikeout. Very intimidating.

pollardsvision said:

Reasonable scenario that could cause Upton to at least get his PT squeezed some in the short term a few weeks from now. Gattis is still hitting, McCann is healthy, Heyward comes back from the DL strong,.and BJ is still lost.

He has 3-4 weeks to get it right or he could be in trouble.
Sounds about right, I'd think.

My favorite thing about B.J. Upton is his "I just missed that" look toward the pitcher as he walks back to the dugout after a swinging strikeout. Very intimidating.
:o Thought I drilled that 1

Last night, he led off the game by taking 3 straight strikes from Bronson Arroyo all in the 70s.

:o Thought I drilled that 1

Last night, he led off the game by taking 3 straight strikes from Bronson Arroyo all in the 70s.
Did he argue balls/strikes with the ump too? That's another personal favorite BJism of mine. Everyone knows he couldn't hit a beach ball so the umps must be LOL'ing whenever BJ starts mouthing off on whether the pitch was a strike or not.

MAC_32 said:
Grimm's minor league numbers lead me to believe regression is likely on the way, since it looks like he is missing out on the Astros series this weekend I'd stay away. There are better risks to take
:topcat:

jamny said:
Thoughts on Hector Santiago? Haven't seen him pitch but he faces the Mets and Harvey on Wednesday.
I've streamed him a couple of times this year. He won't win many games with their offense being marlinesque, but with the right matchups he can put up decent stats.
shadyridr said:
Hector Santiago anyone?
Picked him up for the bench. Don't trust him enough yet to start him.
im sold

faketeams has a nice article for E-Jax or Estrada owners (or ex-owners).

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/5/8/4311734/struggling-pitcher-support

CHURCH AUDITORIUM – 8:00 PM, MONDAY

Rows of folding chairs are set up across the tile floor. The host steps up to the podium and asks everyone to take their seats. A man finishes putting sugar in his coffee. Two women finish their conversation, hug and sit on opposite ends of the room. As the last few people shuffle in, the chatter in the audience dies down.

HOST

Good evening, everyone. My name is Josh and I’m a Marco-holic.

AUDIENCE

(In Unison)

Hi, Josh.

JOSH

We have a few administrative things to take care of first and then we will hear from our guest speakers for the remainder of the evening. To those of you who have not been to Marco-holics Anonymous before, welcome. We’re glad to have you here with us tonight. Anyone celebrating their spot start anniversary, come get a chip.

(An older man walks up front to collect his chip)

Congratulations on spotting a good matchup. Is anyone celebrating two starts?

(No one comes forward)

Anyone celebrating sitting Estrada this past week, please come forward and get your chip.

(Two men – one in his teens, another in his early thirties – come forward to share an embrace and collect their chip)

We have two guests with us tonight. Sharon is the president of our local MASE chapter and Zack is here to share with us about his battle with Marco and how he’s handling this season. Without any further ado, please give your attention to Sharon.

SHARON

(Steps up to the podium)

Hi, everyone. As Josh said, I’m the president of the MASE chapter in Central Pennsylvania and I’ll only take a small amount of your time tonight. For anyone who doesn’t know, MASE stands for Mothers Against Starting Edwin. It was February of 2012, the first time my son drafted Edwin Jackson. He’ll tell you that he knew the risks but that his friends had done it before and doing it just once couldn’t be that bad. He started Edwin Jackson only in favorable match ups at first but the better Jackson pitched, the bolder my son grew. Soon he was starting Jackson against all opponents. He’ll tell you that the summer of 2012, while he was on Edwin, was one of the best of his life. Jackson won 10 games for the Nationals and was second in the league in swinging strike percentage. Better still, his walk rate was better than average for the second straight year. My son was hooked.

We started to notice a change in my son in early April of 2013. He was distant, irritable and spent most of his time in his room staring at box scores. Finally, one day while my son was at work, my husband went into his room. We’re not the types of parents to pry into our children’s business but we were scared. And what we found was worse than we’d thought. In his desk drawer were print outs of each one of Edwin Jackson’s 2013 starts riddled with statistics and words I’d never heard my son say. He drafted Edwin Jackson in two leagues this year.

We sat him down when he came home from work that day and confronted him with the papers. At first he tried to deny it. He said he didn’t have a problem. He said that Jackson was just unlucky. That his BABIP was .353 and his strand rate was only 52%. My son said that Jackson was striking hitters out at the same rate and wasn’t giving up home runs. He told us how he wanted to quit but when Jackson signed a three year deal with the Cubs this offseason, he couldn’t help it. Jackson was staying in the National League and would finally have a semi-permanent home. His strikeout potential was too much to resist.

We are slowly weaning our son off of Edwin Jackson, starting by pitching him only against favorable opponents. If Jackson continues to struggle, we will have to take more drastic measures and bench or drop him. Studies have shown that over 80% of Edwin Jackson owners will relapse after he strings together a few good starts. Until he proves that he is able to limit walks and hard contact, Jackson should not be in your starting lineup. I understand how difficult it can be to resist playing him, but please utilize your support groups and know that someone is there to help you. Your decisions affect more than just you. Thank you for your time.

JOSH

(Hugs Sharon and steps up to the podium)

Thanks, Sharon. Next, we’ll hear from Zack.

ZACK

(Walks up to the podium from the back of the room and shakes Josh’s hand)

Thanks, Josh. Hi, everyone. My name is Zack and I’m a Marco-holic.

AUDIENCE

(In unison)

Hi,Zack.

ZACK

I picked up Marco Estrada in an NL Only league last year and, boy, did I feel great as he helped my team win the league. I started writing about fantasy baseball soon after the season ended and I was shouting Marco’s name from the roof tops. Coming off his 2012 performance, I had all kinds of reasons to be on the Marco Estrada band wagon. He had a strikeout to walk ratio of 4.93. His xFIP was 3.51 and his SIERA was 3.23. He started throwing a cutter and his changeup was more effective. He was throwing more first pitch strikes and getting batters to chase pitches out of the zone more often than he had in previous years.

I could go on and on with reasons for why I loved Marco Estrada. And it was all smiles and laughs while he was pitching well. But I got out of control and I became a slave to him. I kept him the NL Only league and drafted him in two other leagues. I was in deep.

As the 2013 season started, it only got worse. Estrada struck out eight hitters in five innings against the Rockies in his first game of the season. He gave up four runs on two home runs, but what was the big deal? It was the Rockies, their offense is potent. I started to come up with rationalizations like this more and more. I would say things like, "Miller Park is one of the best hitters’ parks in the league and he’s still got the swing and miss stuff."

But then I started to realize that he’d given up a home run in all seven of his starts this year and eleven on the year already. He’s always been homer prone but this is ridiculous.

They say you can’t really recover until you’ve hit rock bottom and, on May 5th, I hit it. Hard. I own Estrada in a 16-team head-to-head league in which we have a few extra pitching categories, one of them being opponent batting average. We set our lineups daily and on Sunday I had a decision to make. I was losing all rate stat categories early in the week so my plan was to start all of my pitchers and ensure that I won strikeouts and, hopefully, wins. But, come Sunday morning, I was winning ERA, WHIP and BAA.

So what was I to do? I could have benched Estrada, hoping that Brandon Morrow, who was on my opponent’s team, didn’t throw a gem or I could pitch Estrada and hope that he did well against St. Louis. So what did I do? I let my affliction get the best of me. I puffed my chest out and said, "I believe in Estrada and if I can’t win with the team I drafted, I don’t want to win. I’d rather lose like a man than win like a coward." Of course I spent most of Sunday in a tailspin after seeing Estrada give up eight earned runs on six hits in only 31/3 innings. Sure, he struck out five batters but he also walked five. Needless to say, I lost all the rate categories that week and I had finally hit rock bottom.

That’s why I’m here tonight. To tell you that you don’t have to go the same route I went. There were a lot of great times when I was starting Marco. His start against the Cubs in early April was dominant. He has 39 strikeouts in 382/3 innings. But he just can’t keep the ball in the yard. However, there is hope. Estrada is generating more swings and misses than he did last year and more ground balls, too. He has a BABIP of .324 and a HR/FB ratio that is sure to drop some from 22.9%.

I’m not here to tell you how to run your fantasy team but to let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This struggle is all about control - Self-control, damage control and Marco Estrada’s control. If Estrada can reduce his walk rate and if he’s able to reduce the number of home runs he gives up, we may once again be able to count on him as a very good fantasy pitcher. And I truly believe that those days will come. But we need to be patient. Resist the urge to start Estrada in questionable matchups until he proves that he face the better lineups and succeed. Thank you for having me tonight.

The Marlins called up 2B Derek Dietrich from AA. Dietrich came over from Tampa in the Yunel Escobar trade.

Dietrich has shown good power in the minors (22 HR and 34 2B in A ball, and a .913 OPS so far this year) but offers nothing in the way of speed. His stay with the big club could be short until Solano or Valaika come off the DL but he could be worth a stash in some deep leagues.

The Marlins called up 2B Derek Dietrich from AA. Dietrich came over from Tampa in the Yunel Escobar trade.

Dietrich has shown good power in the minors (22 HR and 34 2B in A ball, and a .913 OPS so far this year) but offers nothing in the way of speed. His stay with the big club could be short until Solano or Valaika come off the DL but he could be worth a stash in some deep leagues.
:excited:

There's no better feeling in baseball nerddom than seeing your 45th round pick in Back to the Future called up to the bigs.

Ugh...another win blown by a closer (Romo) Nice game by Zito.

Is there a website that shows starters who have had wins blown by closers in the 9th?

Really having a hard time not dropping Konerko. May drop for Dietrich or Hernandez.
Dietrich? You have a rookie problem.
Yes, yes I do. But that wasn't the point. Konerko sucks this year.
I think I'd ride it out unless there's a clear-cut better option out there.

Re: Grimm, his minor league stats are not wonderful, but he was also hustled pretty quickly through the minors. And he's made strides since UGA to cut down his walks. He's a situational guy for me. Has value, but not somebody I'm going to be riding every week.

Wade Miley?

Trevor Cahill?

Alexi Ogando?

Jonathon Niese?

Any chance you guys can help me pick one to go with for the rest of the year?

Thanks.

Mr. Peterson said:
Wade Miley?

Trevor Cahill?

Alexi Ogando?

Jonathon Niese?

Any chance you guys can help me pick one to go with for the rest of the year?

Thanks.
I think Niese may be hurt. K's are way down, BB's are way up, and he suffered an injury in-game in April. Until proven otherwise, not him.

Cahill is a 4+/1.3+/low K pitcher, regression is on its way. Not him either.

No strong opinion either way on the remaining two, a month ago it'd have been Ogando but Miley's proving me more and more wrong about him with each passing outing. I'd give a slight lean to Miley because of expected IP's, but won't argue with someone who prefers Ogando.

Mr. Peterson said:
Wade Miley?Trevor Cahill?Alexi Ogando?Jonathon Niese? Any chance you guys can help me pick one to go with for the rest of the year?Thanks.
I think Niese may be hurt. K's are way down, BB's are way up, and he suffered an injury in-game in April. Until proven otherwise, not him. Cahill is a 4+/1.3+/low K pitcher, regression is on its way. Not him either. No strong opinion either way on the remaining two, a month ago it'd have been Ogando but Miley's proving me more and more wrong about him with each passing outing. I'd give a slight lean to Miley because of expected IP's, but won't argue with someone who prefers Ogando.
Thanks. Is Cingrani A Better Option?

Mr. Peterson said:
Wade Miley?Trevor Cahill?Alexi Ogando?Jonathon Niese? Any chance you guys can help me pick one to go with for the rest of the year?Thanks.
I think Niese may be hurt. K's are way down, BB's are way up, and he suffered an injury in-game in April. Until proven otherwise, not him. Cahill is a 4+/1.3+/low K pitcher, regression is on its way. Not him either. No strong opinion either way on the remaining two, a month ago it'd have been Ogando but Miley's proving me more and more wrong about him with each passing outing. I'd give a slight lean to Miley because of expected IP's, but won't argue with someone who prefers Ogando.
Thanks. Is Cingrani A Better Option?
After what he did vs. the Nats he is dice I'd roll. I expected him to navigate the Cubs and Marlins with ease as I lumped him in with many of the other situational plays, but the Nats game got my attention. His next five are currently penciled in as Milwaukee, Miami, Mets, Indians at home (no DH), adn Pittsburgh. Roll him out there until he gives you a reason not to.

Scott Kazmir?

:oldunsure:
Oakland's lineup today isn't exactly a murderer's row. They're worse vs. lefties, rendering Seth Smith useless, and Reddick is on the shelf. Nothing but great reports all Spring Training and the Houston game could definitely be chalked up as getting the kinks out though.

With Philly (no DH) and Seattle at home coming up he's interesting in deeper leagues. May be stream worthy then re-evaluate as the schedule gets tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread