What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (4 Viewers)

Should I drop Goldy for Reimold, Folwer, Maybin, Jon Jay, Frenchy, or Boesch? I think I need an OF so that I can bench Desmond Jennings till he gets squared away.
That depends on your league and line-up.Are you loaded at 1B and are the 1B waiver options as nice the OF options?It's a tough call on who to get though.Maybin's probably the guy I'd want for the season, but he's just a poor man's Jennings who is off to a horrible start himself. Still, I'd try to find a way to roster Maybin.After that, with apologies to the FBG Official Brennan Boesch Fan Club, I'd probably look at Reimold. With so many solid OF options on the wire, I think it makes the guys with the most upside and the guys that are hot at the moment a little more valuable. I think Reimold has more upside and is obviously hotter right now.
More like Jennings is the poor man's Maybin

Should I drop Goldy for Reimold, Folwer, Maybin, Jon Jay, Frenchy, or Boesch? I think I need an OF so that I can bench Desmond Jennings till he gets squared away.
That depends on your league and line-up.Are you loaded at 1B and are the 1B waiver options as nice the OF options?It's a tough call on who to get though.Maybin's probably the guy I'd want for the season, but he's just a poor man's Jennings who is off to a horrible start himself. Still, I'd try to find a way to roster Maybin.After that, with apologies to the FBG Official Brennan Boesch Fan Club, I'd probably look at Reimold. With so many solid OF options on the wire, I think it makes the guys with the most upside and the guys that are hot at the moment a little more valuable. I think Reimold has more upside and is obviously hotter right now.
More like Jennings is the poor man's Maybin
Maybins power potential cant touch Jennings

If it's the same league you've asked about before I'd drop other 1B's than Goldy. I'd consider adding Reimold, Maybin, Boesch, then Fowler in that order.

'MAC_32 said:
If it's the same league you've asked about before I'd drop other 1B's than Goldy. I'd consider adding Reimold, Maybin, Boesch, then Fowler in that order.
You are right...i'm getting to trigger happy. It's a long season.

'MAC_32 said:
I don't get the Goldschmidt love. He has power but his K rate will always make him a liability in AVG. He sat against a RHP last night. If he starts losing ABs to Overbay, Goldschmidt's contribution in the counting categories will go down. Arizona is kind of a mess right now. Injuries to Upton and CB Young will hurt Goldschmidt as well.

'MAC_32 said:
I don't get the Goldschmidt love. He has power but his K rate will always make him a liability in AVG. He sat against a RHP last night. If he starts losing ABs to Overbay, Goldschmidt's contribution in the counting categories will go down. Arizona is kind of a mess right now. Injuries to Upton and CB Young will hurt Goldschmidt as well.
Outside of deep and H2H leagues I don't like starting him right now, but I want to give him 4-6 weeks before deciding what to do with him if I can help it. In a pinch you probably aren't going to find someone on waivers with half of his power ceiling if you let him go.

Whiffed on Sergio Romo so now I am looking to replace him with a WW pitcher. It is 12 team H2H points with 1 pt for Ks, 10 for Ws, 7 for losses and 3 points per inning pitched. So ratios are not terribly important, more so pitchers who can get innings, wins and Ks.

Which pitcher is the way to go, Danny Duffy, Kyle Drabek or Juan Nicasio? Who has the best chance to jump up into a top 50 pitcher?

Whiffed on Sergio Romo so now I am looking to replace him with a WW pitcher. It is 12 team H2H points with 1 pt for Ks, 10 for Ws, 7 for losses and 3 points per inning pitched. So ratios are not terribly important, more so pitchers who can get innings, wins and Ks. Which pitcher is the way to go, Danny Duffy, Kyle Drabek or Juan Nicasio? Who has the best chance to jump up into a top 50 pitcher?
Nicasio is the most likely, but Drabek has a higher ceiling. Your choice - risk vs. reward.I don't want to read too much into Duffy's early season #'s, everything to date indicates a middle of the rotation pitcher is his ceiling. Obviously if he has honed in his control it changes everything, but I'm inclined to trust everything pre 2011 a lot more than 2 starts in 2012. Drabek has similar issues, but he has a much better skill set.

'MAC_32 said:
Outside of deep and H2H leagues I don't like starting him right now, but I want to give him 4-6 weeks before deciding what to do with him if I can help it. In a pinch you probably aren't going to find someone on waivers with half of his power ceiling if you let him go.
Goldschmidt was out of the lineup again today against a RHP.

'MAC_32 said:
SOB. I'm going to wait 2 more weeks, but if somebody interesting pops up on waivers I might go ahead and bail. Not performing is one thing, but to be benched is something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOB. I'm going to wait 2 more weeks, but if somebody interesting pops up on waivers I might go ahead and bail. Not performing is one thing, but to be benched is something else.
I also own Goldy and am close to jumping ship...I have Fielder at 1B, Ike Davis at CI, Billy Butler at Util, and it's only a 10-team league. I can live with the high K rate given the expectation of 23-25 HRs from Goldy, but to get benched even with the glaring absences of Upton/Young is worrisome...and as someone mentioned, you'd imagine the absence of those two guys will hurt his value anyway in the short term.Peavy, Niese and Reimold are available on waivers. Do you guys think he's worth dropping for any of them? I like Niese the best but it's obviously tough to judge based on 2 starts; probably wouldn't start any, just holding them and hoping they build value

If I have a need at pitching or OF I would prefer all 3 of those guys to Goldy, Peavy more than Niese as a pitcher.

If I have a need at pitching or OF I would prefer all 3 of those guys to Goldy, Peavy more than Niese as a pitcher.
Yea, I spent my morning not doing work and reading up on Peavy instead and just dropped Goldy for him. I looked through the other 9 teams and I see 1 or 2 guys that may choose to pick up Goldschmidt, but I think he'll sit on waivers for a bit. With Latos getting shelled I at least need a fallback option stashed away.Still may drop Peavy for Niese...Peavy has given up a ton of fly balls so far but only 1 home run, and has walked just 2 batters in about 20 innings. You'd obviously expect him to get hurt at some point, and all those fly balls could catch up to him (especially at home). Niese pitches for a crappy team, but posted a good xFIP last season and as a Mets fan I'm pulling for him :)

I'm searching for SS help.

Didn't draft a SS until the very end of the draft(unless you get a elite SS, they are all about the same)

So now I'm playing the SS carousel......so far rostering Scutaro, Furcal, and now Yunel Escobar.

Here is who is available on the wire

R Furcal(STL)

B Seager(SEA)

B Ryan(SEA)

M Izturis(LAA)

A Escobar(KC)

Any of the guys above float your boat?

I'm searching for SS help.Didn't draft a SS until the very end of the draft(unless you get a elite SS, they are all about the same)So now I'm playing the SS carousel......so far rostering Scutaro, Furcal, and now Yunel Escobar.Here is who is available on the wireR Furcal(STL)B Seager(SEA)B Ryan(SEA)M Izturis(LAA)A Escobar(KC)Any of the guys above float your boat?
looks like you picked up Yunel Escobar. outside of him, I would roll w/ Furcal until he slows down. that STL O is looking tough

Juan Francisco heating up in Atlanta? Sleeper for deeeeep leagues?
His OBP, K rate, BB rate, plate approach, and steel plated glove scare the crap out of me. Only if I were desperate...
True on the rates but the question would be whether this is a keeper league - Chipper gone next year and I don't think the Braves have a 3B who will be ready so Francisco's power could grab the job - they are auditioning him this year (of course because Chipper was and will be on the DL)

I'm searching for SS help.Didn't draft a SS until the very end of the draft(unless you get a elite SS, they are all about the same)So now I'm playing the SS carousel......so far rostering Scutaro, Furcal, and now Yunel Escobar.Here is who is available on the wireR Furcal(STL)B Seager(SEA)B Ryan(SEA)M Izturis(LAA)A Escobar(KC)Any of the guys above float your boat?
looks like you picked up Yunel Escobar. outside of him, I would roll w/ Furcal until he slows down. that STL O is looking tough
He has slowed down(outside of last night game)

He has slowed down(outside of last night game)
i was referring to his hot start on THIS season, not his career

Dropping Liriano for Samardzija.
####. :wall:
The walks have come back.Still a lot more optimistic about Samardzija than Liriano.
I should have known better than to think his K:BB ratio wasn't a sham. Does anyone ever watch the games on ESPN's gamecast? I'm sitting here watching the little green circle right in the middle of the plate on the pitch trax deal and ranting at my monitor, "How the #### is that a ball?! It's right down the middle!"Maddening. :lol:

Does anyone ever watch the games on ESPN's gamecast? I'm sitting here watching the little green circle right in the middle of the plate on the pitch trax deal and ranting at my monitor, "How the #### is that a ball?! It's right down the middle!"Maddening. :lol:
You do realize that the trax setup is from a TERRIBLE angle and you are not looking at the view that the umpire (and batter) have of the pitch and where it crosses home plate.

Does anyone ever watch the games on ESPN's gamecast? I'm sitting here watching the little green circle right in the middle of the plate on the pitch trax deal and ranting at my monitor, "How the #### is that a ball?! It's right down the middle!"Maddening. :lol:
You do realize that the trax setup is from a TERRIBLE angle and you are not looking at the view that the umpire (and batter) have of the pitch and where it crosses home plate.
Use MLB.com. Its got pitch f/x data. And its not like he was completely wild. Was throwing more strikes than balls. Plus, there was an intentional walk thrown in. He's not going to magically turn into a stud so there will be some poor performances, but I think his improvements are real and that he's a bona fide mid rotation guy by the end of the year.

Ryan will always be offensively challenged. He's great defensively, but I would never want to start him in fantasy.Seager on the other hand I really like. He made the team out of spring training as the starting third basemen because the M's have some guys on the DL and have been playing Figgins in the outfield. I think he has played very well and I love his approach, and I think the manager Wedge likes him too. They have another prospect in Liddi that could have challenged for playing time at third, but Seager has done so well I think he keeps the job. He hit very well in the minors, over .300 everywhere he played, and he is projected to have decent third base offensive skills and some power, so to have him SS eligible in your league could be an advantage.So I guess, I don't want to say he's that much better than the others on your list, I just like how he's developing and he has been a pleasent suprise for the M's this year. :thumbup:

Ryan will always be offensively challenged. He's great defensively, but I would never want to start him in fantasy.Seager on the other hand I really like. He made the team out of spring training as the starting third basemen because the M's have some guys on the DL and have been playing Figgins in the outfield. I think he has played very well and I love his approach, and I think the manager Wedge likes him too. They have another prospect in Liddi that could have challenged for playing time at third, but Seager has done so well I think he keeps the job. He hit very well in the minors, over .300 everywhere he played, and he is projected to have decent third base offensive skills and some power, so to have him SS eligible in your league could be an advantage.So I guess, I don't want to say he's that much better than the others on your list, I just like how he's developing and he has been a pleasent suprise for the M's this year. :thumbup:
I already own Montero and Ackley(although both sit my bench most nights)......just dropped Carp.Might be pushing it adding another Mariner

Does anyone ever watch the games on ESPN's gamecast? I'm sitting here watching the little green circle right in the middle of the plate on the pitch trax deal and ranting at my monitor, "How the #### is that a ball?! It's right down the middle!"

Maddening. :lol:
Well, of course. It's just funny to see them show the location of the pitch right down the heart of the plate, yet it's a ball. I realize that's not the actual location.

What are your guys thoughts on Zack Cozart? Putting up decent numbers for a ww add at ss and is a rookie.

They're doing it wrong, don't pick up Humber, pick up other mediocre pitchers who play the Mariners.

Need some help figuring out who to drop to make a bid for Cordero (even though there's little chance I'll bid enough). Roster and league set-up below. Guys I'm considering cutting in bold. Obviously, I really hate the idea of cutting any of them.

With the OF injuries, I really can't cut any of them, or I couldn't start a full roster most nights.

Can't cut a SP either, we need 8 and I'm already planning on playing major catch-up for IP in the 2nd half.

Really don't want to let go of the prospects.

10 team 5x5 ROTO (OBP), daily, 11-player keeper, Start: C/1B/2B/3B/SS/MI/CI/IF/5OF/UTIL/8SP/3RP

C: Iannetta

1B: M. Cabrera, Kendrys, Morneau, Belt, Trumbo, Rizzo

2B: Kinsler, Kipnis, Altuve

3B: Reynolds, C.Davis, I.Stewart, N.Arenado

SS: Andrus

OF: Ellsbury [DL], Stanton, Morse [DL], Chris Young [DL], Reimold, LaHair, Niewuenhuis, L.Scott, Bourjos,

SP: Shields, Gio, Anibal, Scherzer, Beachy, Minor,

RP: Betancourt, Marshall, Francisco, Broxton, Lidge, Santiago

Which do you think I'm most foolish to be so stubborn about dropping?

Right now, I'm leaning towards Belt or Lidge.

Drop one of those 3B's, yea they all suck but it doesn't mean you need 3 of them. Pick 2 and ride them out. I'd dump Davis.

Drop one of those 3B's, yea they all suck but it doesn't mean you need 3 of them. Pick 2 and ride them out. I'd dump Davis.
FA auctions went off at 11. I dumped Belt and my $26 (out of $200) went through, surprisingly. Towards the end, I started thinking about Davis. His K/BB ratio is appalling. Even worse than normal, I think.As bad as Davis is, at least he's getting AB's and hitting. I had a hard time justifying Belt over him. Belt's been getting some nice pinch hits lately and I like his upside, but he still can't get in the lineup, he's striking out even more than Davis, and he's hitting a bunch of ground balls.Mostly, I'm just sick of the situation.That said, I'm sure Belt will get in the lineup today, smack 2 HRs including a walk-off, and force Bochy to play him.

Weekly lineup league, worried about Beltre's hammy, thinking of picking up:

Seager (only 3b in our league or i'd pick him up)

Hannahan

Chipper

Carpenter

Rolen

:confused:

Weekly lineup league, worried about Beltre's hammy, thinking of picking up:Seager (only 3b in our league or i'd pick him up)HannahanChipperCarpenterRolen :confused:
I'd probably go with Carpenter.I think he's got more talent than Hannahan.Seager has cooled a bit and I really hate putting Mariner batters on my team (though they are on the road all week)Chipper seems like a terrible option for weekly lineupsRolen is Rolen.If it's (hopefully) just for a week or 2, I'd roll the dice on Carpenter.

Assume picking up Vargas and dropping Kenly Jansen is a nobrainer?
I wouldn't say that. Vargas can help with WHIP and ERA, but likely not many Ks or Ws. And he has a tendency to have huge melt downs on occasion. Kenly will give you great K/9 and decent ratios all season with a chance to close if Guerra goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread