What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (2 Viewers)

I've got to cut someone for Miller, then probably someone for an RP.

Who would you guys be most likely to cut (it's a deep keeper, so any youngish guy holds a little more value)? Position doesn't matter much, and I don't like leaving young MI's with solid potential on the wire.

Quentin (love the guy when healthy, it's an OBP league, but I don't trust him to stay healthy)

Frazier (taking more walks and getting on base, but still just hitting too many GBs. have a feeling he's due for a big hotstreak)

Gattis (still hanging on for keeper considerations)

Dozier (cooling down and not as good a prospect as Miller, but still not far out from his crazy tear)

Ibanez (don't know how I could actually cut him right now)

Who would you guys be most likely to cut (it's a deep keeper, so any youngish guy holds a little more value)? Position doesn't matter much, and I don't like leaving young MI's with solid potential on the wire.

Quentin (love the guy when healthy, it's an OBP league, but I don't trust him to stay healthy)

Frazier (taking more walks and getting on base, but still just hitting too many GBs. have a feeling he's due for a big hotstreak)

Dozier (cooling down and not as good a prospect as Miller, but still not far out from his crazy tear)

I cut Dozier

I cut Dozier
I'm going to try to hang onto Dozier a little longer. Franklin's now banged up and Miller is still looking for his first MLB hit.

Even in Dozier's current slump, he's still taking walks and getting on base.

I know I can't carry all 3 of these schmucks for very long though.

I ended up cutting Quentin. I probably need to revisit the Gattis issue though.

I added Jacob Turner. Kids been lights out and was once a top prospect. I hate owning two Marlin pitchers (Fernandez) but their offense has been better

I added Jacob Turner. Kids been lights out and was once a top prospect. I hate owning two Marlin pitchers (Fernandez) but their offense has been better
Low k numbers, a ridiculously low HR/FB ratio and a strand rate currently over 80% probably will catch up to him.

Rajai Davis likely playing every day while Melky is on the DL, he's worth starting every time he faces a lefty anyway and now he has a 6 game hit streak and stolen 7 bases in his last 4 games.

Rajai Davis likely playing every day while Melky is on the DL, he's worth starting every time he faces a lefty anyway and now he has a 6 game hit streak and stolen 7 bases in his last 4 games.
PIcked him up last week when Melky went down.......cheap steals, gotta love em.

For those that like to dabble in the Matt Adams market, it's keeping an eye on the Holliday situation. Might be nothing but he's got sore neck/back issues. Maybe he can keep getting ABs even after the 8-game AL road trip ends.

pollardsvision said:
I assume Ike Davis has already been picked back up, but if not, I'd try to do so now.
No thanks...awful batting average and strikes out a lot...terrible in points league and not much better except in deeper leagues.

A bad version of Adam Dunn basically...

Chase Headley was dropped as was Leonys martin (WTF??)...thinking about dropping Carl Crawford for either. Worried about Crawford's playing time. Thoughts?

Also thinking about picking up Jeremy Hefner....any chance he is legit?

pollardsvision said:
I assume Ike Davis has already been picked back up, but if not, I'd try to do so now.
No thanks...awful batting average and strikes out a lot...terrible in points league and not much better except in deeper leagues.

You are probably right.

I don't play in AVG or points leagues, so I have no idea about those.

Davis' K-rate hit 30% this year, before going to the minors. It was never more than 24% before that. It's now as high as that other 1B Davis that kept getting sent back down to the minors (where he would completely mash). That other Davis is finally starting to walk as much as Ike always has (double digits).

Obviously, I'm not dumb enough to say Ike is the next Chris. It would've been dumb to say Chris would've been the next Chris. But young sluggers can start to figure it out in their mid-20's. Ike's a year younger with 1100+ fewer minor league ABs than Chris.

Hitting too many groundballs this season aside, the power has always been there and the OB skills have shown glimpses (.351 and .383 in his first two MLB seasons). Last year, he was atrocious in the first half, then busted out 20 HRs with a .346 OBP in the 2nd (with a .260 BABip).

He's a FA flyer and, like the rest, probably won't pan out, but I doubt there will be many FA pick-ups with the type of 2nd half upside that Ike has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase Headley was dropped as was Leonys martin (WTF??)...thinking about dropping Carl Crawford for either. Worried about Crawford's playing time. Thoughts?

I'd drop Crawford for Headley. He's heating up. Been hitting well in July.

pollardsvision said:

Wow, major recency bias.
Strikes out a little less...but also shows less power than Dunn.

Where am I off here?

And that is comparing the last few years of Dunn...not even his prime.

Kemp went to the DL if it's a playing time thing with Crawford. Not sure who I'd really want to be honest. Nobody else worth dropping?

Kemp went to the DL if it's a playing time thing with Crawford. Not sure who I'd really want to be honest. Nobody else worth dropping?
not really.

Ike Davis, I need the power, or Erasmo Ramirez, who was just called up and who I actually dropped Crawford for, are my only real options. Pitchers are coveted a lot more than hitters in my league.

C: Ryan Doumit

1B: Prince Fielder

2B: Anthony Rendon

SS: Nick Franklin

3B: Evan Longoria

OF: Mike Trout, Alex Rios, Dominic Brown

UTL: Starling Marte, Yasiel Puig

Bench: Will Myers, Ike Davis

DL: Jedd Gyorko

SP: Jered Weaver, Madison Bumgarner, Mat Latos, Matt Harvey, Mike Minor, Patrick Corbin, Tony Cingrani, Erasmo Ramirez

RP: Edward Mujica, Steve Cishek, Joaquin Benoit

DL: Johnny Cueto

Last edited by a moderator:
pollardsvision said:

Wow, major recency bias.

Where am I off here?

Last several years Ike has shown much less batting average risk and nearly identical power potential. He's had incredibly bad stretches this year and the first half of last year, but he's also had extended stretches since he's been called up that exceed Dunn's abilities at this point. And the gap in K% is more than just a little at this point.

pollardsvision said:

Wow, major recency bias.

Where am I off here?

Last several years Ike has shown much less batting average risk and nearly identical power potential. He's had incredibly bad stretches this year and the first half of last year, but he's also had extended stretches since he's been called up that exceed Dunn's abilities at this point. And the gap in K% is more than just a little at this point.
2012 was the only time to really compare the 2 in power numbers and Dunn still hit 9 more.

And while he also strikes out more...Dunn draws more walks too.

And again...this is Dunn on the tail end of his career.

IMO...Davis right now is a lesser version of the current Dunn even...much less his career. He may one day get to Dunn's prime type numbers...but would not want him on either team I have.

the only bad part about having Trout in a keeper league is offering someone a trade, then getting a counter with them wanting Trout in return.

pollardsvision said:

Wow, major recency bias.

Where am I off here?

2012 was the only time to really compare the 2 in power numbers and Dunn still hit 9 more.

And while he also strikes out more...Dunn draws more walks too.

And again...this is Dunn on the tail end of his career.

IMO...Davis right now is a lesser version of the current Dunn even...much less his career. He may one day get to Dunn's prime type numbers...but would not want him on either team I have.
There's more to power than HRs. Its been about .020 ISO. And a this point you have to give the Mets the better lineup than the CWS. Yes, Dunn walks more, but he's also sustained a K% of over 30% each of that last 4 seasons. Sure, Dunn runs into plenty of HRs to be valuable, but the last time he provided significant value in more than one category was 2010 with the Nationals. Ike was crushing in 2011 until he got injured. He crushed the last half of last season. Yes the K% spike this year is disturbing, but there is atleast a chance 2011 is his true talent level and he'll improve. There is zero chance Dunn improves from a one category guy at this point.

I think I've got to cut the cord on Adam Lind. It was a fun ride, but he's now got a 27/2 K/BB ratio over the last month and sporting a sweet .242 OBP.

new to Fantasy BB, just took over an orphan 8 keeper team. Have Howard, Berkman and Betancourt at for 1st baseman. I'm looking at FAs like Davis, Belt, Lind, Alonso, Morrison, Moreland to replace Berkman and move Howard to DL. 25 games back and looking for potential keeper options.

Bronx Bomber said:
new to Fantasy BB, just took over an orphan 8 keeper team. Have Howard, Berkman and Betancourt at for 1st baseman. I'm looking at FAs like Davis, Belt, Lind, Alonso, Morrison, Moreland to replace Berkman and move Howard to DL. 25 games back and looking for potential keeper options.
LoMo was always thought to have the potential to hit like he is now, something always has gotten in the way, I could see taking a chance on him out of that group.

Speaking of having huge potential, thoughts on Justin Smoak? Is he a .360 OBP, 20-25HR guy now?
I took a flyer on him yesterday. Was just sitting out there on our WW in a pretty deep league. I have him on my bench right now, but like the depth he provides me in case Pujols finally succumbs to the foot issues or one of my OF go down.

With only 2 bench spots and DL spot (Howard) is it at all advisable to try and stash a guy like Bogaerts, Castellanos, Yelich, Singleton? We keep 8 players and I'm 25 games back so looking for upside.

Bronx Bomber said:
With only 2 bench spots and DL spot (Howard) is it at all advisable to try and stash a guy like Bogaerts, Castellanos, Yelich, Singleton? We keep 8 players and I'm 25 games back so looking for upside.
Is Howard even worth owning since he probably won't be back until late-August or early-September?

Bronx Bomber said:
Is Howard even worth owning since he probably won't be back until late-August or early-September?
I'm not really sure, just started playing a few days ago as I took over a team. Trying to get back into BB. It's a 8-player keeper league so it just depends on if Howard is a possible keeper option. It looks like a moot point though now as it doesn't seem like I can pick up minor leaguers in this league.

Bronx Bomber said:
:goodposting: (I feel dirty doing that with a Collective post). Howard is not worth keeping this season (or probably ever)

Users who are viewing this thread