What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (2 Viewers)

Drop one of those 3B's, yea they all suck but it doesn't mean you need 3 of them. Pick 2 and ride them out. I'd dump Davis.
FA auctions went off at 11. I dumped Belt and my $26 (out of $200) went through, surprisingly. Towards the end, I started thinking about Davis. His K/BB ratio is appalling. Even worse than normal, I think.As bad as Davis is, at least he's getting AB's and hitting. I had a hard time justifying Belt over him. Belt's been getting some nice pinch hits lately and I like his upside, but he still can't get in the lineup, he's striking out even more than Davis, and he's hitting a bunch of ground balls.Mostly, I'm just sick of the situation.That said, I'm sure Belt will get in the lineup today, smack 2 HRs including a walk-off, and force Bochy to play him.
Why do you have 7 RP when you can only start 3?

Drop one of those 3B's, yea they all suck but it doesn't mean you need 3 of them. Pick 2 and ride them out. I'd dump Davis.
FA auctions went off at 11. I dumped Belt and my $26 (out of $200) went through, surprisingly. Towards the end, I started thinking about Davis. His K/BB ratio is appalling. Even worse than normal, I think.As bad as Davis is, at least he's getting AB's and hitting. I had a hard time justifying Belt over him. Belt's been getting some nice pinch hits lately and I like his upside, but he still can't get in the lineup, he's striking out even more than Davis, and he's hitting a bunch of ground balls.Mostly, I'm just sick of the situation.That said, I'm sure Belt will get in the lineup today, smack 2 HRs including a walk-off, and force Bochy to play him.
Because closers are constantly getting hurt or losing their jobs. I like to carry a lot early while the situations are working themselves out. Hopefully, I can pare it down to 5ish in a few weeks, via trade, suckitude, or injury.I prefer to use early roster spots on RP and bats, at the expense of SPs. A lot of people in my league think they are fine with 3 closers. It'll cost them a decent bat when they realize they aren't.

Because closers are constantly getting hurt or losing their jobs. I like to carry a lot early while the situations are working themselves out. Hopefully, I can pare it down to 5ish in a few weeks, via trade, suckitude, or injury.I prefer to use early roster spots on RP and bats, at the expense of SPs. A lot of people in my league think they are fine with 3 closers. It'll cost them a decent bat when they realize they aren't.
Its one category at the expense of 4 others.

FA auctions went off at 11. I dumped Belt and my $26 (out of $200) went through, surprisingly. Towards the end, I started thinking about Davis. His K/BB ratio is appalling. Even worse than normal, I think.

As bad as Davis is, at least he's getting AB's and hitting. I had a hard time justifying Belt over him. Belt's been getting some nice pinch hits lately and I like his upside, but he still can't get in the lineup, he's striking out even more than Davis, and he's hitting a bunch of ground balls.

Mostly, I'm just sick of the situation.

That said, I'm sure Belt will get in the lineup today, smack 2 HRs including a walk-off, and force Bochy to play him.
Because closers are constantly getting hurt or losing their jobs. I like to carry a lot early while the situations are working themselves out. Hopefully, I can pare it down to 5ish in a few weeks, via trade, suckitude, or injury.

I prefer to use early roster spots on RP and bats, at the expense of SPs.

A lot of people in my league think they are fine with 3 closers. It'll cost them a decent bat when they realize they aren't.
True, but the other 4 categories aren't being accumulated by only 30-35 players at any given time.Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to go after some upside SP's right now. If I wasn't scrambling to field 5 OFer's everyday, that's what those roster spots would go toward.

With SP though, generally, I think there are no more than 50-60 SP that must be rostered in a mixed league. The rest are match-ups type guys that, imo, are a waste of a roster slot most of the time. I can play match-ups later in the season and likely get the same type of performances that I'm missing out on now. Not to mention, when that hot waiver pick-up SP sits on your bench for 4 days then puts up an 8-spot when he does pitch.

The math might prove me wrong, but I generally prefer to get innings later in the year anyway. You get more teams mentally out of it and/or throwing young'ens out there who may not really be ready.

It may not be the right way to go about it, but that's how I like to do it.

Not so sure.Closers will help in all categories sans wins......hell I usually have a couple high K middle relief guys rostered

Those in redrafts (because I am sure he is scooped up in keeper leagues), Trevor Bauer just got promoted from Double A to Triple A. Just a better of time before the D-Backs call him up, IMO.

Those in redrafts (because I am sure he is scooped up in keeper leagues), Trevor Bauer just got promoted from Double A to Triple A. Just a better of time before the D-Backs call him up, IMO.
I have him in my keeper league. I am hoping for a June call-up.

FA auctions went off at 11. I dumped Belt and my $26 (out of $200) went through, surprisingly. Towards the end, I started thinking about Davis. His K/BB ratio is appalling. Even worse than normal, I think.

As bad as Davis is, at least he's getting AB's and hitting. I had a hard time justifying Belt over him. Belt's been getting some nice pinch hits lately and I like his upside, but he still can't get in the lineup, he's striking out even more than Davis, and he's hitting a bunch of ground balls.

That said, I'm sure Belt will get in the lineup today, smack 2 HRs including a walk-off, and force Bochy to play him.
Because closers are constantly getting hurt or losing their jobs. I like to carry a lot early while the situations are working themselves out. Hopefully, I can pare it down to 5ish in a few weeks, via trade, suckitude, or injury.

A lot of people in my league think they are fine with 3 closers. It'll cost them a decent bat when they realize they aren't.
True, but the other 4 categories aren't being accumulated by only 30-35 players at any given time.Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to go after some upside SP's right now. If I wasn't scrambling to field 5 OFer's everyday, that's what those roster spots would go toward.

With SP though, generally, I think there are no more than 50-60 SP that must be rostered in a mixed league. The rest are match-ups type guys that, imo, are a waste of a roster slot most of the time. I can play match-ups later in the season and likely get the same type of performances that I'm missing out on now. Not to mention, when that hot waiver pick-up SP sits on your bench for 4 days then puts up an 8-spot when he does pitch.

The math might prove me wrong, but I generally prefer to get innings later in the year anyway. You get more teams mentally out of it and/or throwing young'ens out there who may not really be ready.

If you have an IP/starts limit, you're missing out on April starts which historically sports a lower run environment. If you don't have limits, the only way you catch up is if the rest of the league is sleeping.

Not so sure.Closers will help in all categories sans wins......hell I usually have a couple high K middle relief guys rostered
Everyone in this league is starting 3 RP per day, and only 3 RP per day unless its a SP/RP pitcher.

If you have an IP/starts limit, you're missing out on April starts which historically sports a lower run environment.
Yep. Not sure if it's fact or not but it sure seems easier to build up pitching stats at the beginning and end of the year rather than the middle. Noticed it in 2010, practiced it (successfully) in 2011, and am really going to take notice this year.Logically, makes sense though.

If you have an IP/starts limit, you're missing out on April starts which historically sports a lower run environment. If you don't have limits, the only way you catch up is if the rest of the league is sleeping.
That may be true and it would make sense (fewer runs/game in April).Either way, of the 3 aspects (SP starts and IP, batter games played, and RP save chances), SP starts are the ONLY one that can be made up later in the year. If forced to go lean in April for 1 of the 3, SP is really the only option, imo.

Batter games played can't easily be made up if you get behind (in a normal league set-up). Plus, I want as many spec. bats early as possible.

It's hard to make up RP/save chances too. To compete, it's expected you are rolling out 3 guys every night all season and there's no using the wire as you extended bench to catch up. You go a month without 3 closers and you just won't be able to compete in that cat.

I'm not worried about finding guys for good spot starts from June on. Many in my league like to load up on SP early, so they'll be dropping some guys along the way. Many of them will be great candidates for me that are pitching well but getting a little unlucky.

It's a 1900 IP limit league.

I'm down to 5 RP now. I just traded Betancourt/Santiago for Choo.

No idea how that trade will work out, but it's a no-brainer for me and a move that made sense for him. He had a deep OF and no need for at all for SBs. In a bind for RPs though. Closers are an odd thing to value.

No way I could've gotten a potentially good OF with a track record for 2 mediocre/crappy SP. People never get in a bind scrambling to find guys to start games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for a 2b. Brandon Phillips is still hurt and just need a little insurance.

Kipnis

Infante

Scutaro

Espinosa

Hill

Who would you pick up?

OK Im VERY week at 1B. Im trying to trade for one but I need to decide what to do for this upcoming week:

1) Start Yadier at C, move Santana to 1B

2) Start Goldy, hes been awful and may or may not be in a platoon (he faces 5 righties this week)

3) Pick up Todd Helton (ugh)

4) Pick up Altuve, move EE to 1B, start Aviles at IF

These options suck obviously. Leaning towards #1

OK Im VERY week at 1B. Im trying to trade for one but I need to decide what to do for this upcoming week:1) Start Yadier at C, move Santana to 1B2) Start Goldy, hes been awful and may or may not be in a platoon (he faces 5 righties this week)3) Pick up Todd Helton (ugh)4) Pick up Altuve, move EE to 1B, start Aviles at IFThese options suck obviously. Leaning towards #1
I would go with Option 1 for now... Yaddy has been hitting real well so just ride that situation out as long as they both produce.On another note, for those leagues with Trevor Bauer on the WW, now might be the time to add and stash him. He is dominating at AA being 4-0 with 0.40 ERA in 22 IP with 28/14 K/BB ratio. Walks are a bit concerning but I'm not too worried about them. With Daniel Hudson injured, Collmenter struggling, Bauer might be up within the next two weeks if lucky. So if you have the room to stash, I would recommend it.Also question, whats the consensus on Headley? He has been mashing it and has a big improvement in his walk rate. For real or just a hot stretch? He is 27 afterall and seems to always been on a sleeper list or something before the season for the past few years.

Hochevar and jurjjens were just dropped in my league. Add them for any of the following:

Norris, detwiler, bauer, nicasio

Also question, whats the consensus on Headley? He has been mashing it and has a big improvement in his walk rate. For real or just a hot stretch? He is 27 afterall and seems to always been on a sleeper list or something before the season for the past few years.
He might have some value if he ever leaves Petco.

This is WRONG bad report by whomever posted or tweeted

Also question, whats the consensus on Headley? He has been mashing it and has a big improvement in his walk rate. For real or just a hot stretch? He is 27 afterall and seems to always been on a sleeper list or something before the season for the past few years.
Plate discipline is usually the last thing to come around for a young hitter. If he's got it figured out he could certainly be for real. 2 more bases on balls yesterday.

I hate my pitching staff.

2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo

2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson

4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Ervin Santana

Thinking I need to drop one for Jarrod Parker.

Anyone grabbing Jarrod Parker in redrafts?
Silliest question I have seen in a while
How about a 9 team redraft with only 4 bench spots? My worst SP is Minor. Still dumb?
Pretty sure he said it was silly
Don't know why, he's a spot starter in a 10 team mixed league at this point. Maybe he's solved his control problems this year, but its a bit early to know that.

I hate my pitching staff.2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Ervin SantanaThinking I need to drop one for Jarrod Parker.
You don't like that staff? Is it a 10 or 12 team league?Look at my staff (12 team league)-Jonathan Sanchez, Mat Latos, Henderson Alvarez, Edwin Jackson, Dillon Gee, R.A. Dickey, Edinson Volquez, Daniel Bard, Javy Guerra, Alfredo AcevesDL- Drew Storen, Daniel Hudson, Tim StaufferAlso drafted Andrew Bailey, but have since dropped him.

I hate my pitching staff.2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Ervin SantanaThinking I need to drop one for Jarrod Parker.
You don't like that staff? Is it a 10 or 12 team league?Look at my staff (12 team league)-Jonathan Sanchez, Mat Latos, Henderson Alvarez, Edwin Jackson, Dillon Gee, R.A. Dickey, Edinson Volquez, Daniel Bard, Javy Guerra, Alfredo AcevesDL- Drew Storen, Daniel Hudson, Tim StaufferAlso drafted Andrew Bailey, but have since dropped him.
12 team. I'm deadlast in almost every ratio catagory in my league.

I'd be in huge trouble if my league was a roto one as my ratios stats have been putrid and I have a small number of wins. I did make good stream moves, though (Hochevar Week 1, Westbrook Week 2, Bass Week 3). Team is 17-10-3 with perhaps the worst pitching I have ever had in my 12 years of baseball fantasizin'. If you want to try Parker, I would advise you to drop Masterson. I wanted Parker m'self, but chose to grab Bass on Sunday to help take the K category (his 7 gave me 50-49 edge). On Monday morning Parker was added an hour before I logged on in an attempt to add him.

I'd be in huge trouble if my league was a roto one as my ratios stats have been putrid and I have a small number of wins. I did make good stream moves, though (Hochevar Week 1, Westbrook Week 2, Bass Week 3). Team is 17-10-3 with perhaps the worst pitching I have ever had in my 12 years of baseball fantasizin'. If you want to try Parker, I would advise you to drop Masterson. I wanted Parker m'self, but chose to grab Bass on Sunday to help take the K category (his 7 gave me 50-49 edge). On Monday morning Parker was added an hour before I logged on in an attempt to add him.
It is h2h. I'm losing in all those catagories again after Scherzer and Lester decided to suck.

Jose Altuve
He's still on my WW and I'm really surprised by it. Just dropped Niese for him. Runs will be tough given his spot in the batting order (seems like Lowrie is apparently a lock for the 2-hole), and while no one expects a .400 BABIP all season, his BB% and K% look good. I'll take a nice OBP and some SBs

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose Altuve
He's still on my WW and I'm really surprised by it. Just dropped Niese for him. Runs will be tough given his spot in the batting order (seems like Lowrie is apparently a lock for the 2-hole), and while no one expects a .400 BABIP all season, his BB% and K% look good. I'll take a nice OBP and some SBs
I mentioned him a week or so ago. The time to nab him is quickly passing. The kid can hit. You're right. The line-up slot sucks. Hard to imagine an Astro sporting a .900+ OPS really has no hope of cracking the top 5 or 6, but that's the way it looks right now.

It is h2h. I'm losing in all those catagories again after Scherzer and Lester decided to suck.
If you're going to drop someone, Scherzer is the guy to me.

Users who are viewing this thread