What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (1 Viewer)

Totally unrelated, anyone got anything on McCutchen? Deadline's up in a half hour and I need to start him or Springer.

Is Chris Coghlan worth a flyer for plug and play at utility? Between he and Veneble I guess, just need Monday/Thursday options and an occasional fill guy.

Looks like Avisail Garcia will be back in September, I grabbed him in May in a keeper after he was dropped and just got him in a deep league.
He's an everyday starter for me (16team league) and I've been very happy with him leading of for the Chubs.
I bought a couple of shares of Tommy Medica instead. Guy has just raked for two years now and shows plus power.

I'd start Samuel Beckett over Aaron Harang.
I know, I know. It felt very dirty grabbing him last night. But he has been super-consistent, somehow.

was going to change it today, but forgot about the early game, so rosters locked early. FML.
So the final tally on this was:

Harang - 16 points

Colon - 15 points

Beckett - -8 points

All of my 1-start pitchers on my bench scored over 20.

Good thing I put so much time into considering these things.

Cool story, bro.
Im guilty of the same thing (starting bad two start pitchers over good 1 start pitchers) and I always tell myself Im not gonna do it but I cant help myself. All year Ive been good until this week when my opponent has two starts from both Kershaw & Felix so against better judgment, I am rolling the dice with Brett Anderson.
None of those three are good pitchers though. Selecting a bad two start arm over a good one start arm usually doesn't work
thanks for repeating what I said

Totally unrelated, anyone got anything on McCutchen? Deadline's up in a half hour and I need to start him or Springer.
I benched him
After Sunday's game, Andrew McCutchen said that X-rays taken of his left side did not reveal anything.
The team will know more on his status on Monday, but the All-Star outfielder believes that it was just a cramp, noting that he has never had a problem in that particular area. Fantasy owners are holding their breath hoping for good news, and this first report is certainly encouraging.

I benched him
After Sunday's game, Andrew McCutchen said that X-rays taken of his left side did not reveal anything.
The team will know more on his status on Monday, but the All-Star outfielder believes that it was just a cramp, noting that he has never had a problem in that particular area. Fantasy owners are holding their breath hoping for good news, and this first report is certainly encouraging.
Problem is an x-ray may not show a pulled/strained muscle. I left him in because Springer's ETA is hazy at best (wasn't hitting well before the DL stint anyway) and he didn't grab at his side until after he started running. May not mean anything, but if he grabbed at it immediately upon swinging that would say pull/strain. Since it was after Cutch's argument may hold water. So says the blindly optimistic Cutch owner anyway...

I know, I know. It felt very dirty grabbing him last night. But he has been super-consistent, somehow.

was going to change it today, but forgot about the early game, so rosters locked early. FML.

Harang - 16 points

Colon - 15 points

Beckett - -8 points

Cool story, bro.
Im guilty of the same thing (starting bad two start pitchers over good 1 start pitchers) and I always tell myself Im not gonna do it but I cant help myself. All year Ive been good until this week when my opponent has two starts from both Kershaw & Felix so against better judgment, I am rolling the dice with Brett Anderson.
None of those three are good pitchers though. Selecting a bad two start arm over a good one start arm usually doesn't work
:confused:

Harang - 16 points

Colon - 15 points

Beckett - -8 points

Cool story, bro.
:confused:
Did he list his 1 start pitchers?

No, I thought you were referring to Harang and Colon since he didn't mention the others.
I was assuming he started those crappy two start pitchers over a good one start pitcher. Which is what I was saying Ive been guilty of as well in the past.

Also, Josh Beckett has been quite good this season. Scuffled a bit lately, but his roto numbers are still plenty good enough to feel good about as a two-start option. (2.88/1.16, 8.3 K/9). Plus, he pitches for the best team in the National League (wins) with a friendly enough home park.

Ladies, the other 1-start pitchers were Yordano, Keuchel, Cobb and Alex Wood.

Yordano had not been that good in 4 of the prior 6, Cobb in 4 of the prior 5, Wood up and down in the last 10, and Keuchel had had 5 rough outings before the 1 fairly good one before last week.

So I probably overthought it, but I just wasn't super-confident in any of them.

Beckett hasn't been right all month. Looked bad vs. Cleveland and iirc he left early as a precaution then he got hurt vs. Colorado and labored through his first game back. He was a big help early on, but he's not trustworthy right now. I started him last week in my H2H, didn't feel good about it though, but passed in my roto's - dropped him last night everywhere. See what he does vs. Milwaukee and Atlanta, if he starts to look better and he's still out there pick him back up for San Diego (times two) and the Mets later this month. If it's more of the same, leave him out there for someone else.

Also, Josh Beckett has been quite good this season. Scuffled a bit lately, but his roto numbers are still plenty good enough to feel good about as a two-start option. (2.88/1.16, 8.3 K/9). Plus, he pitches for the best team in the National League (wins) with a friendly enough home park.
you're right on Beckett for the season, but then he had 2 subpar outings before the DL stint and 3 bad ones since that, so I'm not sure how to trust him at this point. I did like him before that and believed in the "resurgence."

drop bogaerts for baez?

I've been hanging on to him for a while, but Baez is listed as SS on ESPN and if he could get 3B eligibility, maybe I keep Baez around as my speculative rookie for this year?

drop bogaerts for baez?

I've been hanging on to him for a while, but Baez is listed as SS on ESPN and if he could get 3B eligibility, maybe I keep Baez around as my speculative rookie for this year?
Probably. Baez will K a ton and most likely hit for a poor avg this year. Massive power potential though.

Beckett hasn't been right all month. Looked bad vs. Cleveland and iirc he left early as a precaution then he got hurt vs. Colorado and labored through his first game back. He was a big help early on, but he's not trustworthy right now. I started him last week in my H2H, didn't feel good about it though, but passed in my roto's - dropped him last night everywhere. See what he does vs. Milwaukee and Atlanta, if he starts to look better and he's still out there pick him back up for San Diego (times two) and the Mets later this month. If it's more of the same, leave him out there for someone else.
So you're telling us it's not April / May anymore?

i see where this is headed

shadyridr said:
Limp Ditka said:
MAC_32 said:
i see where this is headed
No worries, troll won't hook me on that one.

No promises on his follow up though.

drop bogaerts for baez?

Probably. Baez will K a ton and most likely hit for a poor avg this year. Massive power potential though.
Yep. 1-for-6 with 3 Ks and a bomb in his debut. That's a pretty good microcosm of where he's at as a player right now.

I don't see Baez getting 3B eligibility this year though. He's going to play 2B.

drop bogaerts for baez?

Yep. 1-for-6 with 3 Ks and a bomb in his debut. That's a pretty good microcosm of where he's at as a player right now.

I don't see Baez getting 3B eligibility this year though. He's going to play 2B.
I went ahead and made the move. Bogaerts is just not getting it together. Baez seems like better upside, especially with the speed.

12 man keeper. I traded Buxton for Kris Bryant.

Thoughts?

I've already got Trout, Stanton, JUpton, Springer, Polanco at OF, so figured I could get better use out of Bryant.

Thoughts?

I've already got Trout, Stanton, JUpton, Springer, Polanco at OF, so figured I could get better use out of Bryant.
It's been kind of a lost season for Buxton.

Bryant looks like he'll make it to the majors sooner. Strikeouts and his ability to stick at 3B are the only potential issues.

Bryant's having success in higher levels with very little experience - 36 bombs in less than 500 PA's in AA and AAA. Buxton, while younger, did not dominate A+ last year and as Eephus said this season's kinda lost. He runs, but he has just as big of a K problem as Bryant, and is likely at least a year (probably two) behind him in development. The power hasn't developed yet and that asset is a lot more valuable than Buxton's wheels. Even if it does develop he won't be near Bryant's potential level.

I'd rather have the guy that's closer to the show that has had success against more advanced pitching that may get the more valuable position eligibility and has the more valuable skill set.

Thoughts?

Like it regardless.
Not sure Bryant is going to play 3B though, will depend on what the Cubs do with Baez. I think Bryant will be playing LF and Baez playing 3B, but the Cubs have some flexibility for now.

So it looks like machado could be done for so yet again i need another bat. I can afford to wait two weeks until these guys are ready. Whos the better stash?

Wil myers or michael cuddyer?

Thoughts?

Like it regardless.
Not sure Bryant is going to play 3B though, will depend on what the Cubs do with Baez. I think Bryant will be playing LF and Baez playing 3B, but the Cubs have some flexibility for now.
Been hearing lately that Bryant's D has been much improved at 3B. I think the future outfield will be Almora, Alcantara, and Soler. Infield of Bryant, Castro, Baez, Rizzo. Not sure what they do with guys like Russell & Schwarber, but they have a couple years to figure it out.

Thoughts?

Like it regardless.
Been hearing lately that Bryant's D has been much improved at 3B. I think the future outfield will be Almora, Alcantara, and Soler. Infield of Bryant, Castro, Baez, Rizzo. Not sure what they do with guys like Russell & Schwarber, but they have a couple years to figure it out.
I doubt all of them will be around, some combo of them will be used to upgrade pitching at some point in the next 16 months.

Thoughts?

Like it regardless.
I doubt all of them will be around, some combo of them will be used to upgrade pitching at some point in the next 16 months.
Insightful comment.

If you had to guess who do you think will be moved? I'm sure they prefer to move Castro first, but him being more expensive and closer to free agency probably won't command as much back. Who would be the first OF to go? Alcantara?

I've read Schwarber isn't projected to stick at catcher too. Can either him or Rizzo play LF?

Castro has a team friendly deal and under control till 2019 I think. That could be wrong though
I'm rusty on contract value relative to production it being August and so far off from the offseason, but $9mil+ doesn't seem that team friendly and that's his price tag beginning in 2 years. If he doesn't improve probably gotta move that contract before getting to that point. His negative WAR season last year is looking like an outlier, but he's still only a 1.3 guy this year. I'd think he has to get better to justify that cotnract, but SS is a wasteland right now so...maybe not.

I don't think there's any way to know who they're willing to trade and for what.

They do need to bolster their list of minor league arms, but I think they can do that without dealing any of the big guns—or maybe just one. I think the Cubs need for pitching is overstated. Wada, Kendrick, Jackson are all legitimate back of the rotation guys. Arrieta might be a 1—at least a 2. If the Cubs make a run at Scherzer or Lester or both, we could be looking at one of the better starting rotations in the league overnight. The bullpen will need some help, but again, not something they need to move a big piece for. Really, a lot depends on how much money they're willing to spend and how attractive they are to free agents.

I could actually see them trying to get a big veteran bat to hit in the 5 slot, but I don't really know who's out there that would fit the bill.

Who else is looking at free agency among the top of the starting pitching lot? Anything is possible, but I expect Max to go west and Lester back to Boston.

Arrieta is really the only guy you can bank on being a top of the line guy next year right now. Wada and and Hendricks could emerge, but I don't think expecting them to be anything > a 4 next year would be wise.

Users who are viewing this thread