What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (2 Viewers)

Don't remember which site puts together that huge pitching bible every preseason, but I've downloaded it the past two seasons. I know in 2011 they targeted three pitchers who they thought were much better than the stats they had put up to that point. The three were James Shields, Ricky Nolasco, and Hammel. Shields already was sick last year, Hammel looks to be well on his way to a breakout himself. Not saying that makes him legit, just that there's a ton of great insight and analysis in there and they already hit on one of the three.

Don't remember which site puts together that huge pitching bible every preseason, but I've downloaded it the past two seasons. I know in 2011 they targeted three pitchers who they thought were much better than the stats they had put up to that point. The three were James Shields, Ricky Nolasco, and Hammel. Shields already was sick last year, Hammel looks to be well on his way to a breakout himself. Not saying that makes him legit, just that there's a ton of great insight and analysis in there and they already hit on one of the three.
Paul Sporer was the guy who touted Hammel and Nolasco last year. He pretty much bailed on both of them for this year's guide.

I added Pedro Alvarez this morning and he hit a homer tonight.

I thought about adding Brian Matusz two starts ago just for the lolz and some strikeouts. I was getting slaughtered in ERA and WHIP that particular week. If Matusz pitched 5 innings and allowed 7 runs but struck out 4 if would have been good for me.

Now he has pitched two good games in a row. Is Matusz back to not being a complete joke?

'Annyong said:
Allen Craig activated. Has some power potential. 11hr/15 doubles in just 200 ab's last year. should be manning 1b while berkman is out. after that, who knows where he will play.
2-4 tonight with a RBI and a stolen base. Playing 1b right now. They'd be stupid if they don't keep his bat in the lineup somehow when Berkman comes back

'Annyong said:
Allen Craig activated. Has some power potential. 11hr/15 doubles in just 200 ab's last year. should be manning 1b while berkman is out. after that, who knows where he will play.
2-4 tonight with a RBI and a stolen base. Playing 1b right now. They'd be stupid if they don't keep his bat in the lineup somehow when Berkman comes back
The question is where? John Jay is having a great season in the OF. Will they play him at 2B?

RUN NOW and get Kipnis
I'm liking this guy a whole lot.I know it is premature to say, but...he has a Jeff Kent type of vibe to him.
I think I'm in sell mode. With Damon coming back, and that one week Sizemore will be healthy and active, I hate the idea of him hitting in the bottom of the lineup
As long as he's hitting he will be near the top of the order regardless of how others are doing. If he's back in the bottom 3rd it's his own doing.

RUN NOW and get Kipnis
I'm liking this guy a whole lot.I know it is premature to say, but...he has a Jeff Kent type of vibe to him.
I think I'm in sell mode. With Damon coming back, and that one week Sizemore will be healthy and active, I hate the idea of him hitting in the bottom of the lineup
As long as he's hitting he will be near the top of the order regardless of how others are doing. If he's back in the bottom 3rd it's his own doing.
Not buying it... Acta already said Damon's hitting leadoff and Choo's been out... That leaves the 2 hole open for him (HELLO!), for now as Cabrera moves back to 3. Once Choo's back and Damon's active, the lineup goes Damon, Assdribble, Choo, Santana, Hafner.

Yonder Alonso was cut and I just picked him up. Need to take a chance on a young CI (let Alvarez go before the season after 2 years with him and cut C.Davis 2 weeks ago :rant: ).

Playing in SD royally sucks, but he's heating up. 1.000+ OPS over the last 7.

RUN NOW and get Kipnis
Not buying it... Acta already said Damon's hitting leadoff and Choo's been out... That leaves the 2 hole open for him (HELLO!), for now as Cabrera moves back to 3. Once Choo's back and Damon's active, the lineup goes Damon, Assdribble, Choo, Santana, Hafner.
He was batting 167/226/396 as of 4/20, he's now 280/348/463 less than 2 weeks later. 15/34 (.440/.490) with 5 R 5 RBI 3 XBH 3 SB over that time frameAs long as he's doing something closer to this than what he did the first 2 weeks he will be near the top of the order, the Indians offense is not good enough to stuff these numbers at the bottom of the lineup.

RUN NOW and get Kipnis
He was batting 167/226/396 as of 4/20, he's now 280/348/463 less than 2 weeks later. 15/34 (.440/.490) with 5 R 5 RBI 3 XBH 3 SB over that time frameAs long as he's doing something closer to this than what he did the first 2 weeks he will be near the top of the order, the Indians offense is not good enough to stuff these numbers at the bottom of the lineup.
Choo's been out of the lineup for the last 6 games. Kipnis has 3 games batting 2nd, 2 games batting 7th and 1 game batting 8th. 1 Choo + 1 Damon = 1 bottom of the lineup Kipnis. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

thoughts on AJ Ellis? Micheal Saunders, and Campana? When will he become fulltime?
Campana is worth a spot for SBs and Rs as long as he's in the lineup. Saunders is just a guy. No real category potential and batting in the bottom third of a crap lineup.Ellis is pretty much interchangeable with fifteen other MLB catchers.

'Matthias said:
From Rotoworld

Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com reports that prospect third baseman Will Middlebrooks has been summoned to join the Red Sox in Boston.Whether Middlebrooks is actually added to the roster depends on the health of Kevin Youkilis, who has missed the past three games with an ailing back. There's a chance Youkilis will go on the disabled list if he's not ready to play Wednesday. This would clear the way for Middlebrooks to play everyday on the major league level, at least on a short-term basis. The 23-year-old third baseman is hitting .333/.380/.677 with nine homers, 27 RBI and a 1.057 OPS over his first 24 games with Triple-A Pawtucket this season.
:goodposting: Middlebrooks is a must grab in AL keeper leagues (if not already owned as a minor leaguer)

'Matthias said:
From Rotoworld

Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com reports that prospect third baseman Will Middlebrooks has been summoned to join the Red Sox in Boston.Whether Middlebrooks is actually added to the roster depends on the health of Kevin Youkilis, who has missed the past three games with an ailing back. There's a chance Youkilis will go on the disabled list if he's not ready to play Wednesday. This would clear the way for Middlebrooks to play everyday on the major league level, at least on a short-term basis. The 23-year-old third baseman is hitting .333/.380/.677 with nine homers, 27 RBI and a 1.057 OPS over his first 24 games with Triple-A Pawtucket this season.
:goodposting: Middlebrooks is a must grab in AL keeper leagues (if not already owned as a minor leaguer)
The real question is his value in redraft leagues. His MLB stay could be short or non-existent. With the hype surrounding his AAA performance this year, it'll likely take a high waiver priority or decent FAAB amount to grab him, especially if people are anxious after missing out on Harper and Trout.I've been holding him in a dynasty league but I'm not sold on his prospects to help redraft owners this year.

'Matthias said:
From Rotoworld

The real question is his value in redraft leagues. His MLB stay could be short or non-existent. With the hype surrounding his AAA performance this year, it'll likely take a high waiver priority or decent FAAB amount to grab him, especially if people are anxious after missing out on Harper and Trout.I've been holding him in a dynasty league but I'm not sold on his prospects to help redraft owners this year.
If I hadn't just picked up Goldy, who appears to have found his stroke, I would be picking him up.

Choo's been out of the lineup for the last 6 games. Kipnis has 3 games batting 2nd, 2 games batting 7th and 1 game batting 8th. 1 Choo + 1 Damon = 1 bottom of the lineup Kipnis. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
Choo was hitting pretty terribly before getting hurt and Hafner hasn't had one of his many annual trips to the DL yet.If you think Kipnis will regress then get rid of him, otherwise he's a definite hold, he'll find a spot near the top of the lineup as long as he's hitting.

'Matthias said:
From Rotoworld

:goodposting: Haven't been following Youk too much as a zero investor, if Middlebrooks is only up for a week how much value does he really have? As long as Youk gets PT Middlebrooks is worthless in redraft. I'm desperate in one league and am mulling him over, I also have him stashed in another on my minor league team but I don't NEED him right now so I'm going to wait to promote him until I have to.

'MAC_32 said:
'Eephus said:
'ChrisCooleyFan said:
thoughts on AJ Ellis? Micheal Saunders, and Campana? When will he become fulltime?
Campana is worth a spot for SBs and Rs as long as he's in the lineup. Saunders is just a guy. No real category potential and batting in the bottom third of a crap lineup.Ellis is pretty much interchangeable with fifteen other MLB catchers.
:goodposting:
Call me crazy, but I think it's worth a shot that Saunders isn't "just a guy".Sure, he royally sucked last year as a 24 YO. But he was a pretty good minor leaguer and flashed some potential in 2010 (as much as is possible while batting .211).This year he's striking out a little less (though still a lot), walking a little more, racking up extra base hits, and stealing some bases. I don't think it's crazy to think he could pull off an 15-15 sort of season with a touch of upside over that. He won't tear it up in the BA dept, but he could get on base in the minors.He probably is just another guy, but I think it's worth riding it out while he's hitting and hoping that the 25 YO might be getting better. Speed/power combo guys have value even if they don't throw up a 25-25-.290.It's certainly possible that I've got "OF desperation goggles" though.

'MAC_32 said:
'Eephus said:
'ChrisCooleyFan said:
:goodposting:
Call me crazy, but I think it's worth a shot that Saunders isn't "just a guy".Sure, he royally sucked last year as a 24 YO. But he was a pretty good minor leaguer and flashed some potential in 2010 (as much as is possible while batting .211).This year he's striking out a little less (though still a lot), walking a little more, racking up extra base hits, and stealing some bases. I don't think it's crazy to think he could pull off an 15-15 sort of season with a touch of upside over that. He won't tear it up in the BA dept, but he could get on base in the minors.He probably is just another guy, but I think it's worth riding it out while he's hitting and hoping that the 25 YO might be getting better. Speed/power combo guys have value even if they don't throw up a 25-25-.290.It's certainly possible that I've got "OF desperation goggles" though.
It's possible but at 25, time is running out. He was pretty well regarded as a prospect but the tools haven't translated into production. Even his stats in the PCL were pretty ordinary. Gutierrez is struggling with another injury so his return isn't imminent. Saunders probably has another month to show he's a better OF option than Figgins, Carp or Casper Wells. Saunders seems destined to be a 4th OF type. There are too many negatives (platoon role, pitcher's park, bottom of the order, bad offense, competition) for him to have much fantasy value except in very deep leagues.

'MAC_32 said:
'Limp Ditka said:
Choo was hitting pretty terribly before getting hurt and Hafner hasn't had one of his many annual trips to the DL yet.If you think Kipnis will regress then get rid of him, otherwise he's a definite hold, he'll find a spot near the top of the lineup as long as he's hitting.
Hopefully I'm wrong here, but Damon (leadoff) and Choo (6th) in the lineup tonight and Kipnis is still batting 2nd.

'Balco said:
'DesertDawg said:
'Annyong said:
The question is where? John Jay is having a great season in the OF. Will they play him at 2B?
2B would seem like the logical choice, not sure how his glove is but the other second baseman's haven't been doing much offensively. He's sitting today for Carpenter who's playing 1b hitting .262 and Descalso at 2B hitting .200...looks like he's gonna be platooning initially but he's gonna rise above the rest imo...just a matter of time

'shadyridr said:
I added Chris Davis AND Pedro Alvarez in the past few days. Cant wait for the implosion lol
I am not sold on Alvarez, but Davis might just be a post hype breakout. He isn't going to hit .300 (or .275 for that matter), but he can easily hit 35 homers with regular PT.

'Balco said:
'DesertDawg said:
'Annyong said:
2B would seem like the logical choice, not sure how his glove is but the other second baseman's haven't been doing much offensively. He's sitting today for Carpenter who's playing 1b hitting .262 and Descalso at 2B hitting .200...looks like he's gonna be platooning initially but he's gonna rise above the rest imo...just a matter of time
I picked up Craig in the hopes he gets regular ab's at second.

My keeper team looked to be a pitching gem this year after the draft, and I was really worried about my hitting. A month in I'm top three in all hitting cats except SBs, and bottom three in all pitching cats but SVs. Today Matt Harrison a Doug Fister fill imploded, last week it was my #1 pitcher gallardo imploding...week before Wainwright. Anibal and Cain have been really good too, scary to think what my ratios would be without those two. What a mess. /vent

Thoughts on Wade Miley? I want to pick up Craig in a deep points keeper league but don't really have many droppable players. I do have two backup SS -- Alex Gonzalez and Yunel...my usual starter is Hardy.

Lee possibly coming off the DL next week doesn't help either...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stopping in to say this thread is invaluable to us fantasy beisbol noobs. :thumbup:

Now, who to pick up for Mat Gamel and Colby Rasmus??

12 team--ESPN--Head to head pts league. (Hope I did this right)

Those are the only 2 places I need to trim the fat. A lot of the guys mentioned above are gone.

TIA. :popcorn:

C B Mcann ATL

1B K Morales LAA

2B R Weeks MIL

3B D Wright NYM

SS JJ Hardy BAL

2B/SS H Kendrick LAA

1B/3B M Gamel

OF N Cruz TEX

OF D Jennings TB

OF C Crisp OAK

Bench:

A Ramirez 3B MIL

C Rasmus OF TOR

N Aoki OF MIL

Pitching:

J Johnson MIA

R Romero TOR

J Peavy CWS

T Hanson ATL

J Santana NYM

Y Darvish TEX

Closers:

J Axford MIL

J Johnson BAL

Pitching Bench:

N Feliz TEX

D Hudson ARZ* DL

S Casilla SF

Auction league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh...I don't know what to do.

Ozzie seemed to indicate that Cishek would be taking over closing responsibilities.

http://www.sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/e7669dbb-b7b8-481f-982b-907eba134917/?source=twitter

Who should I drop for him, or stand pat? Thinking Marmol, Masterson, or Utley.

h2h 12 team with yahoo scoring

C: Yadier Molina

1B: Joey Votto

2B: Dan Uggla

SS: Hanley Ramirez

3B: Chris Davis

OF: Andrew McCutchen, Desmond Jennings, Adam Jones

UTL: Mike Trout, Bryan LaHair

Bench: Paul Goldschmidt, Evan Longoria

2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo

2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson

4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Jarrod Parker

DL: Chase Utley, Brett Gardner

Ugh...I don't know what to do_Ozzie seemed to indicate that Cishek would be taking over closing responsibilities. http://www.sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/e7669dbb-b7b8-481f-982b-907eba134917/?source=twitterWho should I drop for him, or stand pat? Thinking Marmol, Masterson, or Utley.h2h 12 team with yahoo scoringC: Yadier Molina1B: Joey Votto2B: Dan UgglaSS: Hanley Ramirez3B: Chris DavisOF: Andrew McCutchen, Desmond Jennings, Adam JonesUTL: Mike Trout, Bryan LaHairBench: Paul Goldschmidt, Evan Longoria2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Jarrod ParkerDL: Chase Utley, Brett Gardner
I'd drop Masterson.

Just stopping in to say this thread is invaluable to us fantasy beisbol noobs. :thumbup: Now, who to pick up for Mat Gamel and Colby Rasmus??12 team--ESPN--Head to head pts league. (Hope I did this right)Those are the only 2 places I need to trim the fat. A lot of the guys mentioned above are gone.TIA. :popcorn:C B Mcann ATL1B K Morales LAA2B R Weeks MIL3B D Wright NYMSS JJ Hardy BAL2B/SS H Kendrick LAA1B/3B M GamelOF N Cruz TEXOF D Jennings TBOF C Crisp OAKBench:A Ramirez 3B MILC Rasmus OF TORN Aoki OF MILPitching:J Johnson MIAR Romero TORJ Peavy CWST Hanson ATLJ Santana NYMY Darvish TEXClosers:J Axford MILJ Johnson BALPitching Bench:N Feliz TEXD Hudson ARZ* DLS Casilla SFAuction league.
How can we make suggestion on who to pick up for Gamel when we don't know who is available?????Not sure I would dump Rasmus so soon Unless there are great hitters on the FA pile

Thoughts on Wade Miley? I want to pick up Craig in a deep points keeper league but don't really have many droppable players. I do have two backup SS -- Alex Gonzalez and Yunel...my usual starter is Hardy.Lee possibly coming off the DL next week doesn't help either...
OK, so I take it Miley is not a hot commodity...

Thoughts on Wade Miley? I want to pick up Craig in a deep points keeper league but don't really have many droppable players. I do have two backup SS -- Alex Gonzalez and Yunel...my usual starter is Hardy.Lee possibly coming off the DL next week doesn't help either...
he was picked up in my 12 teram league, but I am not familiar with him to be honest (nor do I have keeper experience).

he was picked up in my 12 teram league, but I am not familiar with him to be honest (nor do I have keeper experience).

Preseason notes - Meh. GB pitcher, HR/FB looks a bit unlucky last year but it may also be attributable to his lack of command and mediocre stuff, and the K's don't look like they will ever be there. At best he's a MLB #4.This year - HR/FB looks unsustainable, as does his LOB, and especially his BABIP. Small sampling, but LD is down and GB is up. In the end, still meh. Stream worthy in mixed leagues, but that's about it.

Ugh...I don't know what to do_Ozzie seemed to indicate that Cishek would be taking over closing responsibilities. http://www.sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/e7669dbb-b7b8-481f-982b-907eba134917/?source=twitterWho should I drop for him, or stand pat? Thinking Marmol, Masterson, or Utley.h2h 12 team with yahoo scoringC: Yadier Molina1B: Joey Votto2B: Dan UgglaSS: Hanley Ramirez3B: Chris DavisOF: Andrew McCutchen, Desmond Jennings, Adam JonesUTL: Mike Trout, Bryan LaHairBench: Paul Goldschmidt, Evan Longoria2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Jarrod ParkerDL: Chase Utley, Brett Gardner
I'd drop Jarrod Parker :shrug:What you may want to do first if you are considering dropping a rosterable player is offering up a 2-1 deal to slightly improve you in an area. I'd also throw out offers to easily excitable owners with Trout or Parker. These guys may be good down the line, but if it's just a re-draft league, I'd be willing to bet they'd fetch more in return then they're actual worth is.

Brian Lahair. Jesus. Guy has been a beast.
A couple weeks into the season a guy in my league picked him up. He'd been on my radar but I was waiting for one more good game. Luckily, he had a short stretch where he struggled and the other team dropped him. I picked him up a few days later. Might have really changed my season right there.

'Matthias said:
Conor Gillaspie is getting the call to replace an injured Sandoval for 6-ish weeks. That said, it would have to be a pretty deep league for him to be worth it.
He'll get ABs at least against RHP, but it remains to be seen whether he can produce anything from the opportunity. Bochy will probably try to stick poor Aubrey Huff out there when he returns.

Users who are viewing this thread