What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (3 Viewers)

Addison Russell or Jose Iglesias?
Has Iglesias ever been considered a hitting prospect or just a glove guy? I'd go Russell but I might be biased.
Never considered anything but a pretty terrible hitter. 267/314/324 career line in the minors over 6 seasons.
Thanks. I don't know much outside of the tigers and I'm just trying to survive in fantasy baseball. I figure if Jose is hitting second for awhile (only one game so far so I may be reaching) that could be a lot of runs and seeing decent pitches. Plus the league I'm in weighs stolen bases a bit more heavily.

That and I don't know anything about Russell other than he's a hot prospect.

the moops said:
Annyong said:
jabarony said:
Has Iglesias ever been considered a hitting prospect or just a glove guy? I'd go Russell but I might be biased.
Never considered anything but a pretty terrible hitter. 267/314/324 career line in the minors over 6 seasons.
In 556 major league plate appearances (not sure these are important to moors though) he's .290/341/378He has no power but calling him a terrible hitter is terrible.

With Ottavino down, I streamed Rafael Montero for today and picked up Marco Gonzales to hold. He should come off the DL and get a start some time next week. Worth watching.

the moops said:
Annyong said:
jabarony said:
In 556 major league plate appearances (not sure these are important to moors though) he's .290/341/378He has no power but calling him a terrible hitter is terrible.
:shrug:

Maybe he has figured something out, but I think you will see him end up closer to his minor league numbers than his major league numbers to date.

the moops said:
Annyong said:
jabarony said:

Maybe he has figured something out, but I think you will see him end up closer to his minor league numbers than his major league numbers to date.
His career MLB BABIP is .341 (.436 so far this season). Iglesias has to produce in AVG/OBP to be of any fantasy value because he has no power to speak of. His 5 SB this month are intriguing but he's never been a base stealing threat in the minors.

Points league

Danny Salzar, Francisco Rodriguez, Parades, Brandon Moss, Mauer all available..

Drop Cishek, Pagan, Bruce Holt, or Carlos Rodon for any above?

Last edited by a moderator:
the moops said:
Annyong said:
jabarony said:

His career MLB BABIP is .341 (.436 so far this season). Iglesias has to produce in AVG/OBP to be of any fantasy value because he has no power to speak of. His 5 SB this month are intriguing but he's never been a base stealing threat in the minors.
Iglesias also got off to a great start with the Sox two years ago and then faded ... he was batting .409 at the end of June with about a month and a half of games, then batted .239 the rest of the way (which included the trade to DET at the deadline).

the moops said:
Annyong said:
jabarony said:

556 plate appearances is starting to get to the point where you have to rule out luck and consider skill set and player type.

Iglesias' .341 career BABIP with his .290 average isn't surprising at all and is well within the scope of reasonable returns. 75% of his contact is either line drives or ground balls, and he almost always makes contact with just a 10% k rate this year and a 15% career. I think his K rate will continue to improve, so the 10% we are currently seeing is not just possible but probable.

He has very good speed, well above average. He said in the offseason that he was working with Omar Vizquel in finding a better feel for pitcher moves and he studied a lot of film. He never stole bases at the lower levels because he simply isn't a good baserunner, at least not yet. Along with hitting ground balls and line drives with the speed will help his BABIP, there are easily 20 steals here IMO.

If he hits .250 with a .300 OBP he is a great real life baseball asset for the Tigers, but something between .250 and his career average of .290 is likely going forward. Easy to compare him to Omar Vizquel because Omar is his coach and mentor, but they really do feel like a similar player. Omar was a career .272/.336/.352 guy with 30+ steal upside. I see Iglesias right in this area, maybe with years above .300 and 25 steals as a ceiling.

As far as fantasy, if you are in an average league and don't own him you're dumb. He's up to 75% owned in CBS leagues, but he's a must own in 12 team leagues right now. I own him in zero, instead I have lots of shares of Alexei Ramirez and Erick Aybar who are both hitting .200 with no power. So shame on me basically.

I need a replacement for Jed Lowrie. I had Jonathan Villar on my team last year, and I swore that I would put Dickie Thon on my roster before I ever put him on again.

Brad Miller and Stephen Drew are the best names on the waiver wire. Miller is hitting an empty .300. I am leaning towards a gamble on Drew.

I need a replacement for Jed Lowrie. I had Jonathan Villar on my team last year, and I swore that I would put Dickie Thon on my roster before I ever put him on again.

Brad Miller and Stephen Drew are the best names on the waiver wire. Miller is hitting an empty .300. I am leaning towards a gamble on Drew.
I'm dropping Wilmer Flores for Villar. Bypassing Drew. No interest in Miller. Villar may not be very good, but I think the speed upside with a few HR's sprinkled in is worth the BA/OBP hit. Grasping for optimism, it's only been a few games, but he's making more contact and swinging at fewer pitches out of the zone so far this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Travis Wood: anything to see here?
He's shown flashes of SP3 skills before his collapse last season. But this K rate is out of nowhere, and I doubt he sustains anything near it. I like him if you need help with WHIP, and with the Cubs playing hot, he'll put up some wins. but I'm worried about the K reversion and not buying yet.

Brandon Morrow healthy? I need a replacement for Tanaka for the next month(?).

What about Aaron Harang tonight against the Cards? I have another spot available for a stream.

What about Aaron Harang tonight against the Cards? I have another spot available for a stream.
I'm giving Morrow a spin until he inevitably breaks down. Only not good start so far was in Coors.

My flier to replace Tanaka is Chavez....but this is a rather deep league with not many options out there (Harang and Morrow are rostered).

I have Morrow and Neise and I only start them at home. Seems to be working so far.

Whats the weather like? The Harangutan's power sinker has been deadly in the cold weather. I imagine he'll revert to his old self once the weather warms up. Some playoff contender should pick him up for October.

Cashner owns a 2.07 ERA and 0.987 WHIP in 182.1 career innings at Petco Park, including a 1.43 ERA and 0.88 WHIP in 11 starts there last season.

If nothing else, there's some serious value to leaving him on the bench and using only his home starts.
Maybe, but I hate burning a roster spot on that sort of thing. If/when I don't feel comfortable rolling an SP out every time he pitches, I'm cutting bait.

With new closers potentially popping up everyday, and this year's slate of solid, surprise batters sorting themselves out, roster spots are just too valuable.

Plus, it's 2015, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a flawed pitcher that'll luck himself into a stupid low ERA.
Eh, ok then. You seem to have made up your mind. I don't know how shallow your league is, but guys that you can count on every time he pitches don't exist on my waiver wire. And rarely are those flawed pitchers you mentioned easily identified before the stupid low ERA happens. If they were easily identified, the outcome probably wouldn't be luck and they probably weren't all that flawed.

You are right about it being the time to speculate on unowned closer candidates and surprise hitters, I just wouldn't cut bait on Cashner after one dud start to do it.
Update on post-Cashner life? Would be interesting to see the compilation of dead-cat swings on the pitcher(s) you used in his slot over these last 4 starts.

Cashner owns a 2.07 ERA and 0.987 WHIP in 182.1 career innings at Petco Park, including a 1.43 ERA and 0.88 WHIP in 11 starts there last season.

If nothing else, there's some serious value to leaving him on the bench and using only his home starts.
Maybe, but I hate burning a roster spot on that sort of thing. If/when I don't feel comfortable rolling an SP out every time he pitches, I'm cutting bait.

With new closers potentially popping up everyday, and this year's slate of solid, surprise batters sorting themselves out, roster spots are just too valuable.

Plus, it's 2015, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a flawed pitcher that'll luck himself into a stupid low ERA.
Eh, ok then. You seem to have made up your mind. I don't know how shallow your league is, but guys that you can count on every time he pitches don't exist on my waiver wire. And rarely are those flawed pitchers you mentioned easily identified before the stupid low ERA happens. If they were easily identified, the outcome probably wouldn't be luck and they probably weren't all that flawed.

You are right about it being the time to speculate on unowned closer candidates and surprise hitters, I just wouldn't cut bait on Cashner after one dud start to do it.
Update on post-Cashner life? Would be interesting to see the compilation of dead-cat swings on the pitcher(s) you used in his slot over these last 4 starts.
It hasn't been pretty.

Mainly, McCarthy, Hendricks, Heston, and Pomeranz. Picked up Chase Anderson for a sniff, but luckily didn't start him vs. the Rockies. Got Matt Shoemaker up tonight for his turn to take a #### on my ERA.

jamny said:
Jake Marisnick :wub:
totally. i somehow picked him up 2 weeks ago. :lucky:
Still a free agent in my league. No idea who this guy is. Flash in the pan or must add?
it's been a month long flash so far. i'm in until i see serious signs he's not going to continue to produce.
Standard small sample size caveats, but looking past the due for regression babip and hr/fb there are some underlying signs this may be legit...o swing and swgstrk are both notably way down.

jamny said:
Jake Marisnick :wub:
totally. i somehow picked him up 2 weeks ago. :lucky:
Still a free agent in my league. No idea who this guy is. Flash in the pan or must add?
Marisnick's not totally out of nowhere, was considered a decent prospect.

The power isn't legit but the steals might be. If he's still available he should definitely be picked up.
He has a big frame and his swing is still developing. 15 HRs aren't beyond the realm of possibility. A 15/30 guy would be very valuable in fantasy, regardless of where he bats in the order.

I like the predictable righty splits, but if you're going down the Swihart well just be happy with a lot of base hits.

I'm a sucker every year for Kyle Blanks. Keep waiting for the Nelson Cruz like breakout.

:fingerscrossed:

Users who are viewing this thread