What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (3 Viewers)

What's in the bag???
Putt and Approach:

• Aviar (from Innova starter set)
  • Keystone (I'm kind of hooked on the Disc Golf Valley game, so I bought some understable Latitude 64 stuff)
  • Jomez Practice Round Zone (on the way, as I've decided I needed an overstable approach disc that would just get down quickly)
Midrange:

• Roc3 (from Innova Starter set)
  • Fuse (see entry for Keystone)
Fairway Drivers (So many understable discs)

• Leopard (from Innova Starter set)
  • Teebird (from Innova Starter set)
  • Eagle (recommended forehand disc)
  • Sidewinder (recommended forehand disc)
  • Westside Underworld (super understable so that even my noodle arm can hyzer flip it)
Distance Driver

• Destroyer (from Innova Starter Set; pretty much a paper weight for me at this stage)

I have put together my beginner bag, but finding a way to get out and play a round with two young kids has been near impossible.  
Best thing I did was take my kids with me for many rounds.  That almost always meant sacrificing a full round, pushing strollers and lots of  playground time but it is a long term investment.

The occasional tears and shortened rounds paid off in spades as they are in college and we play every chance we get.   

Putt and Approach:

• Aviar (from Innova starter set)
  • Keystone (I'm kind of hooked on the Disc Golf Valley game, so I bought some understable Latitude 64 stuff)
  • Jomez Practice Round Zone (on the way, as I've decided I needed an overstable approach disc that would just get down quickly)
Midrange:

• Roc3 (from Innova Starter set)
  • Fuse (see entry for Keystone)
Fairway Drivers (So many understable discs)

• Leopard (from Innova Starter set)
  • Teebird (from Innova Starter set)
  • Eagle (recommended forehand disc)
  • Sidewinder (recommended forehand disc)
  • Westside Underworld (super understable so that even my noodle arm can hyzer flip it)
Distance Driver

• Destroyer (from Innova Starter Set; pretty much a paper weight for me at this stage)
Nice.  Nothing wrong with getting discs that suit your game. Everything I'm buying is leaning towards understable. I got a crystal flex Zone recently and have been using that for a lot of forehand approaches.  Besides that been loading on different types of Leoprard3s and Wraiths.  I'm really digging the new Halo plastic from innova. 

Nice.  Nothing wrong with getting discs that suit your game. Everything I'm buying is leaning towards understable. I got a crystal flex Zone recently and have been using that for a lot of forehand approaches.  Besides that been loading on different types of Leoprard3s and Wraiths.  I'm really digging the new Halo plastic from innova. 
You catching the Portland Open this weekend?

You catching the Portland Open this weekend?
Unfortunately I didn't get tickets...they were very limited. I'm hoping to catch the guys around a town. There were a couple of lesser known guys that showed up to league doubles last night at Pier Park.  Huk Labs is only 5 minutes from my house and Eagle is going to be signing stuff there on Monday. I might go check that out.

lol @ disc golf spoilers being a thing
It’s tough to watch it live so a lot of people wait until the next day when the major content producers release their coverage. The sport has absolutely blown up since the pandemic, I love it. 

I’m now going to point my left elbow at the target and hold my follow through until the disc stops on every shot. 

It’s tough to watch it live so a lot of people wait until the next day when the major content producers release their coverage. The sport has absolutely blown up since the pandemic, I love it. 
I normally prefer to wait for Jomez coverage, but I'm glad I watched the DGN live coverage for this.  You just can't fake the reaction after the fact and Ian's kind of inhuman "Oooohoooohoo" when the shot went in was amazing.  

Is anyone conflicted like me?  I feel like these guys should win much more prize money, but at the same time I’m afraid what it would do to the sport.  Could you imagine competitors celebrating so joyously like that if big money was on the line?  I love that about disc golf right now.

I do think the tension between the competitive mindset of professional athletes and the "positive vibes only" ethos of the sport is kind of interesting.  I saw a lot of people rag on Eagle for his behavior when he won Portland, and I thought it was incredibly mild.  He kind of half-heartedly kicked a mini.  Meanwhile I've now seen Kevin Jones have absolute nightmare holes take him completely out of it in back-to-back events and he still acts like a Labrador puppy.  

There seems to be a contingent that don't like McBeth or Paige because they're openly competitive (and possibly because they seem to be trying to openly monetize things more than others), even though I think both are pretty gracious losers.  Which is to say that I think even if the money gets bigger, I think there's a sort of culture there that will persist.  I don't think the lack of a huge purse meant that Ricky was any less disappointed, so I think he'd still have been out there giving James the love.  Paige had just had one of her worst days (and possibly screwed up the end of her documentary) and she was out there too.  

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
I normally prefer to wait for Jomez coverage, but I'm glad I watched the DGN live coverage for this.  You just can't fake the reaction after the fact and Ian's kind of inhuman "Oooohoooohoo" when the shot went in was amazing.  
Our old friend @Fullback Fro is good buddies with Ian.  Mr. Fro is quite the disc golf legend around nor cal.  

I went to a disc golf tournament last weekend called wildflower here in Montana.  It's reportedly the longest running event in the history of the sport.  It's been running annually since 1975.

Sweet!  I remember when you sent me CDs in the mail - you're responsible for turning me into a Steve Earl fan.    How about I send you some tasteful nudes from my next disc outing with Hack? 

we all remember forest mail: we know they won't be tasteful.  So I assure you, he is in!

Now THAT would be awesome.  There's a bunch of spots around here I haven't played yet (I'm still a noobie) and now that Hack is all ladied up again, I never get to see him. ;)
Hey now!

I'm only part-time ladied up. I definitely have Sundays free 95% of the time and also many days during the week. Let's make some plans once this ####### heat wave is through. I'm probably heading out for some early rounds at Pier Park going forward which might be a stretch for you to do. 

Hey now!

I'm only part-time ladied up. I definitely have Sundays free 95% of the time and also many days during the week. Let's make some plans once this ####### heat wave is through. I'm probably heading out for some early rounds at Pier Park going forward which might be a stretch for you to do. 
Yeah, for me it's just a matter of finding blocks of time, which were in short supply before summer.  Sundays are good - we should pinpoint some spots that are easy for both of us to get to.   

Yeah, for me it's just a matter of finding blocks of time, which were in short supply before summer.  Sundays are good - we should pinpoint some spots that are easy for both of us to get to.   
Hornings Hideout - Canyons Course
Buxton Woods
Pier Park (BBQ at my place after....since i'm 5 min away)

That's the short list.

Now if we want an adventure there's a relatively new and upgraded course out on the coast between Astoria and Seaside right on the Fort Stevens State Park. That place looks sweet.

Hornings Hideout - Canyons Course
Buxton Woods
Pier Park (BBQ at my place after....since i'm 5 min away)

That's the short list.

Now if we want an adventure there's a relatively new and upgraded course out on the coast between Astoria and Seaside right on the Fort Stevens State Park. That place looks sweet.
Pier Park would be ideal.  Let's let the temps drop, then pick a time in July.  Sounds terrific to me!  

Playing a big B Tier event on Sunday. Two rounds in the same day (42 holes) at Milo McIver. This is the first event here since before the pandemic. 

Just spent some $$ on some new plastic. I'm a sucker for the tour series stuff from Innova. Got 2 NS Firebirds and Barsby Eagle...wow they are ####### beautiful. And I'm still in love with the Halo plastic. 

*Played with @General Malaise last weekend at Milo and had blast. He's getting good. He nailed a 60 foot putt on the iconic 6th hole and crushed some drives. 

Playing a big B Tier event on Sunday. Two rounds in the same day (42 holes) at Milo McIver. This is the first event here since before the pandemic. 

Just spent some $$ on some new plastic. I'm a sucker for the tour series stuff from Innova. Got 2 NS Firebirds and Barsby Eagle...wow they are ####### beautiful. And I'm still in love with the Halo plastic. 

*Played with @General Malaise last weekend at Milo and had blast. He's getting good. He nailed a 60 foot putt on the iconic 6th hole and crushed some drives. 

I SHOT 25 OVER PAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111  I'm worse at this than I am at marriage.

I think we're playing Pier Park tomorrow at 9:30am if you're around.  

We finally got a (pop-up, but there's no plan to shut it down) course within the borders of DC at the RFK Stadium/Armory site.  Need to play a round and see if I can hit the RFK racoon.  

21 hole course? They like, screw it, we have extra land, let’s build 3 more holes onto this sucka?

I'm reasonably certain 25 is the over/under on the number of discs I'd lose at Milo McIver.
I only lost one, but I didn't really 'lose' it I just left a putter behind.  It's the second time I've done that now. :bag:

But, this story has a happy ending!  Thanks for Hack, I put my name and number on all my discs a very nice fella texted me a picture of the disc perched on hole 14 and even left me a voicemail.  I asked for his PayPal to ship him some beer money but he declined.  Nice sport, this disc golf. 

I only lost one, but I didn't really 'lose' it I just left a putter behind.  It's the second time I've done that now. :bag:

But, this story has a happy ending!  Thanks for Hack, I put my name and number on all my discs a very nice fella texted me a picture of the disc perched on hole 14 and even left me a voicemail.  I asked for his PayPal to ship him some beer money but he declined.  Nice sport, this disc golf. 
That's great. I've found the willingness to get discs back to owners around my area to be excellent. Join a few local DG FB groups and it's easy to get plastic back in the right hands.

I've "lost" my last 5 discs by doing this. I either left it throwing from a bad lie and forgot to pick up my disc or I was too high and buzzed and forgot. And I'm ####### 0-5 in getting them returned. :hot:   It seems the more newbies and first-timers the less they are to adhering to the etiquette. 

Marwede has been pretty incredible these past few weeks in the woods with his sidearm as well.  Only one bogey all week at Idelwild.  What????

Big fan of his.

I've "lost" my last 5 discs by doing this. I either left it throwing from a bad lie and forgot to pick up my disc or I was too high and buzzed and forgot. And I'm ####### 0-5 in getting them returned. :hot:   It seems the more newbies and first-timers the less they are to adhering to the etiquette. 
Played Pier Park a week ago by myself.  Guy ahead of me aced 2, which is pretty f'n unreal (at least for me).  Neat to see, I've never seen it live.  He and his buddies were going crazy.

Was playing decent - parred 3 and 4, got into a good grove, playing at a quick clip.  Got backed up by a family, which was fine.  And here comes Coach Scott:  "Hey, you're playing solo, let's pair up and speed things along".  No problem.

Nice guy, but my god, he proceeded to coach me on every.  single.  throw.  I played poorly after that, but he did have some good tips that I'll work on.  Gave me a disc with his phone number on it.  Been a while since I got some digits from a dude. :wub:

General Malaise said:
Played Pier Park a week ago by myself.  Guy ahead of me aced 2, which is pretty f'n unreal (at least for me).  Neat to see, I've never seen it live.  He and his buddies were going crazy.

Was playing decent - parred 3 and 4, got into a good grove, playing at a quick clip.  Got backed up by a family, which was fine.  And here comes Coach Scott:  "Hey, you're playing solo, let's pair up and speed things along".  No problem.

Nice guy, but my god, he proceeded to coach me on every.  single.  throw.  I played poorly after that, but he did have some good tips that I'll work on.  Gave me a disc with his phone number on it.  Been a while since I got some digits from a dude. :wub:

Pier is just awesome and I’m lucky to be so close. Let me know when you want to go.  Later today?  I try not to try and teach or give tips unless someone wants them especially while on the course.  

Pier is just awesome and I’m lucky to be so close. Let me know when you want to go.  Later today?  I try not to try and teach or give tips unless someone wants them especially while on the course.  
No, I think you do a great job of just handing out a few tips here or there without overwhelming a newer player.  I'm just out there to have a good time and if I can get a little better, terrific.  Little tips at a time.  This guy wanted to fix my everything.

Have to coach soccer tonight and without a car, kinda tough to get over the Pier Park.  I've been playing Greenway when I can since it's close and TEK is perfect because nobody is there and it's also right near me.  Of course, I'm not supposed to be playing there, but ehhhhhhhhh, I mean no harm. 

Users who are viewing this thread