What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I’m going to ask this here.  Everything I’ve read and seen on YouTube says that the hips initiate the “downswing”.  Yet when I post videos of my form the criticism I get is that my hips are opening too soon in my downswing.  This seems contradictory to me.  How do you engage your hips in the throw without opening them?

Hoh said:
I’m going to ask this here.  Everything I’ve read and seen on YouTube says that the hips initiate the “downswing”.  Yet when I post videos of my form the criticism I get is that my hips are opening too soon in my downswing.  This seems contradictory to me.  How do you engage your hips in the throw without opening them?

This has been a big problem of mine.  What I've learned is that while you may be starting your hip and shoulder rotation on the downswing you want to keep your lead foot planted and sideways until you release the disc and THEN rotate on that plant foot.  Otherwise you've transferred all the momentum past the disc by the time you release.  I essentially keep that thought and the thought of staying upright and not hunched over when throwing and I've found that I don't really have the beginner problem of discs hyzering out immediately anymore.  

• Thanks
Reactions: Hoh
Really excited to watch the coverage this weekend. Glendoveer looked incredible on the jomez practice round, much better than last year 

The Hack effect nearly got it done for Double G. Can’t believe that forehand miss on 18. 

Second elite win of the year for Val Mandajuano, this time lapping the field (no Kristen Tattar in the field though). 

The Hack effect nearly got it done for Double G. Can’t believe that forehand miss on 18. 

Second elite win of the year for Val Mandajuano, this time lapping the field (no Kristen Tattar in the field though). 
Crazy event. I was on the edge of my seat down the stretch!  I can't believe he threw forehand! That's not his shot, especially under pressure. All he had to do was turnover a Roc into the fairway and the trophy was his. I'm sure he'll be second guessing that for a while.

Similar to the previous day where Simon tried to force over is red/yellow PD and hit the mando tree and went OB. That's a pretty stable disc and yet he's trying to pull a shot off out of his ###. That was old Simon and not new Simon.  But he got away with it.

These guys don't see this type of crowd or face this type of pressure very often so it's interesting to see how they perform. Look at the putts missed on 18 from 20 feet. McBeath, Redalen. I can't image trying to putt under that pressure and crowd size.

Moe. said:
Really excited to watch the coverage this weekend. Glendoveer looked incredible on the jomez practice round, much better than last year 
I'm really excited about the thought they might make this design permanent for future Portland Opens. There was a chance for the public to play the layout on Thursday afternoon for $40 a foursome. I wasn't able to go and frankly my body isn't ready to throw that many long/full shots at the moment.

I did play Blue Lake twice in the last month and that course is a ####### beast!!!!

The NJ state championship is being split between 2 courses this weekend: Stafford Woods in Cherry Hill, NJ (top course in the state) and Tranquility Trail in Woolwich, NJ which just opened a little over a month ago.

TT is a couple of miles from my house and is actually a great course, but there’s parking for like 30 cars tops. They have 300+ entrants registered…  :popcorn:

Redemption for Double G and back to back wins for Val. I like seeing Double G win at Milo because it seems more of a precision driving track than a bombers paradise. Surprising to see him go bogey free considering that big looping hyzer putt he uses. 

Go Double G!

can’t wait to get out to play Milo with the BSF layout in place.  We don’t normally have access to the 36 East / west layout.  

The NJ state championship is being split between 2 courses this weekend: Stafford Woods in Cherry Hill, NJ (top course in the state) and Tranquility Trail in Woolwich, NJ which just opened a little over a month ago.

TT is a couple of miles from my house and is actually a great course, but there’s parking for like 30 cars tops. They have 300+ entrants registered…  :popcorn:
Happy to see Michael Johansen with the win!

Pretty psyched. I've been going out once or twice a week here in Boise. We're going to Yellowstone tomorrow, staying in Teton Village and I just saw that they have a course practically right out the back door of our hotel. My wife will hit the gym or maybe even walk the course with me.  :thumbup:

Just completed my move from DC to the Syracuse suburbs. I now have about ten courses within 15 miles of me, so I was finally able to get out and play a real course (albeit a par 3).  

Man, it was sweet to play a round where I had some semblance of what I was doing. I still struggled on tight tunnel shots, but give me a little room and I could hyzer-flip a Truth or a Fuse for the full flight.  And I was able to execute a few high turnovers just as I planned them.  My putt was atrocious, but I’m appropriating my brother-in-law’s portable basket. 

Just completed my move from DC to the Syracuse suburbs. I now have about ten courses within 15 miles of me, so I was finally able to get out and play a real course (albeit a par 3).  

Man, it was sweet to play a round where I had some semblance of what I was doing. I still struggled on tight tunnel shots, but give me a little room and I could hyzer-flip a Truth or a Fuse for the full flight.  And I was able to execute a few high turnovers just as I planned them.  My putt was atrocious, but I’m appropriating my brother-in-law’s portable basket. 
Hell yea.....nice!!  Congrats to being able to get out and play now!

My game is atrocious right now, BUT - in the last two weeks I've birdied two holes from over 100 feet away*.  It's the drug that keeps me coming back.

*The first clue to my atrocious game is that my 2nd shots are from over 100 feet away. :bag:

Really enjoyed watching the Jomez production of the FPO this past weekend.  Love the camaraderie of the lead card.  Really weird to see Paige Pierces name that far down the leaderboard.  She injured?

Really enjoyed watching the Jomez production of the FPO this past weekend.  Love the camaraderie of the lead card.  Really weird to see Paige Pierces name that far down the leaderboard.  She injured?
The production is really good, but I think Paige and Kona lack a little bit of personality. I respect that Paige is working so hard at being a source of positive energy. And she doesn’t have to a shtick machine like Jerm, but her and Kona still suffer in comparison to Madison and Erika’s Two Hot Geese rapport. Maybe pairing Paige with someone like Ella Hanson, who is pretty good on commentary despite being so new to the sport. Or go way off script and get Ohn Scoggins, who may be challenging to understand but who is always fun. 

My game is atrocious right now, BUT - in the last two weeks I've birdied two holes from over 100 feet away*.  It's the drug that keeps me coming back.

*The first clue to my atrocious game is that my 2nd shots are from over 100 feet away. :bag:
I've got a tournament this weekend...maybe a week from Sunday??

But....if you are consistently getting "up and down" from 100 to 150 feet and in...that is the first step in becoming a good player. If you have confidence in those types of up shots that is really the first key in putting it all together.

And you are throwing it straight off the tee with less power which is also a great way to start scoring better. 

Picked up the W this weekend at the Rose City Open!

I was playing some really great golf until six holes to go and then the melt down started. I was down by 1 shot going into Sunday's round at Blue Lake (Portland Open course). I stuck to my plan which was to play conservative, avoid OB and take a few birdies on the front. Sure enough I had a four shot lead after hole 12.  I proceeded to play 13 through 17 9 over par with two double bogs and a triple. I threw 5 shots OB over 4 holes with four of the five OB shots landing less than a foot from the OB line.  Just brutal.  We were tied standing on 18 tee and I managed to sneak out with a par while he put up a double bogey.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/58352#MA50

@urbanhackcongrats on the win! 945ish rated golf with a brutal 5 hole stretch is impressive. I bet it felt great to right the ship on 18 and secure the win. 

No tournaments for me lately but my team is one of 4 out of 16 remaining in our match play league.  Semifinal match is this week at the  Angry Beaver which has evolved into the toughest course in Charlotte. 

I have been all over the place with my disc golf form / game this year.  I had like.. 1 pretty good round this year but the rest have been really bad.  I have been trying to re-tool my form so I end up screwing my self up for the most part.

I recently started watching some youtube videos by SlingShot Disc Golf and they have been most helpful.  As a primary backhand right hand thrower I never realized how much the left hand / arm plays a role in throwing and power.  I've been attempting to get my left side way more involved and it almost feels like learning to throw all over again.

Also, I used to hardly ever throw side arm and I am adding that to my game this year.  I've had some pretty good results.  I don't rely on it by any means, but it helps in certain situations and certain angles.

I haven't been watching much DG either this year.  Watched a lot during the pandemic.  I am jealous of @urbanhack talking about playing Blue Lake.  That was one of my favorite courses I played... in my life... when I was visiting relatives.  I definitely want to watch the Portland Open too.

Jutz said:
I have been all over the place with my disc golf form / game this year.  I had like.. 1 pretty good round this year but the rest have been really bad.  I have been trying to re-tool my form so I end up screwing my self up for the most part.

I recently started watching some youtube videos by SlingShot Disc Golf and they have been most helpful.  As a primary backhand right hand thrower I never realized how much the left hand / arm plays a role in throwing and power.  I've been attempting to get my left side way more involved and it almost feels like learning to throw all over again.

Also, I used to hardly ever throw side arm and I am adding that to my game this year.  I've had some pretty good results.  I don't rely on it by any means, but it helps in certain situations and certain angles.

I haven't been watching much DG either this year.  Watched a lot during the pandemic.  I am jealous of @urbanhack talking about playing Blue Lake.  That was one of my favorite courses I played... in my life... when I was visiting relatives.  I definitely want to watch the Portland Open too.
This is something that has completely changed my game. The left arm finish on almost all shots, especially drives. If I throw a great drive, my left arm is cross my body with my hand open with a complete release.

This video is the one I keep going back to. Starting at 8:30 is where Sexton starts talking about the follow through and left side. https://youtu.be/7JpY1m9vx2A?t=513

I've got a tournament this weekend...maybe a week from Sunday??

But....if you are consistently getting "up and down" from 100 to 150 feet and in...that is the first step in becoming a good player. If you have confidence in those types of up shots that is really the first key in putting it all together.

And you are throwing it straight off the tee with less power which is also a great way to start scoring better. 
I've been rotating between Memorial, Greenway and Orchard the last few months.  I'm trying to play 3x a week but when I head out to something tougher, my game falls apart.  I was a DISASTER at Horning's Hideout.  

Wife taking the kids to Disneyworld then Michigan.   I'll have two weeks free!!!!  I plan on playing every day after work.  I'm going to try and take my dog with me, but I'm not sure how good he'll do.  I also don't want to take him out if it's too hot.  Might wait until dusk for those rounds.  

Anyhow, I'm free to play anytime starting Tues.  Let me know if you want to slum it with a chump.

Niko just made a complete ### out of himself when got called for a time violation. He’s a joke and should be suspended. 

It was live on disc golf network, I’m sure it’ll make its way to YouTube eventually. He took an insane amount of time after being warned, and he got right in the poor Finnish official’s face and basically threatened him when he was informed they were assessing a penalty. Embarrassing. Soon they’re going to have to move past relying on card mates to enforce the rules. 

Amazing battle between Paul and Eagle and an incredible win for Eagle coming off that significant of an injury and not throwing a single forehand the entire tournament.

Good lessons to be learned from both Eagle and Simon after their injuries. Dial it down, throw it smooth and about at 80% and go back to the basics. 

Oh...and just be a really good putter too.   :lol:

Can you, uh......gamble on disc golf? Do they have lines and stuff like ball golf? 

I mentioned in another thread that I visited Bevel Brewery in Bend.  They had disc golf on TV and the place was festooned with discs with incredible art work.  Reminded me a little of my skate board days with the interesting designs.  Highly recommend visiting this place - was a little slice of paradise. 

Pretty much any Twitter thread or Facebook thread on Nathalie’s win is swarming with guys butthurt that she’s a trans woman. 

It was silliest when she was challenging Paige in the final round (was it Jonesboro?) earlier this year. 

I'm playing in my first tournament this weekend. :oldunsure: Was feeling pretty good about myself after a decent field work session and actually getting some putting in now that I have a basket. But I played a round (at Oxbow Falls, admittedly a far more challenging course than that hosting the tournment) on Sunday at it was a total disaster. After feeling that I was getting MA2 distance at field work, I was back to either grip locking everything or having it hyzer out immediately. I particularly couldn't handle the extreme uphill lies from the fairways. I'm doing the Trilogy challenge at Oxbow Falls in September, so I better straighten up.

If you’ve been on the fence about buying a premium bag - I recommend you do it. I finally bought a Pound Octothorpe a couple months back (after spending roughly 1000 hours on their website playing with the different options) and it’s been a revelation. It might be the coolest thing I own period. I was starting to get a teeny bit of lower back pain earlier this summer, chalked it up to me getting older - turns out it was my old bag. These things are incredibly light for how much they can carry. They are a little pricey but it’s the last disc golf bag you’ll ever buy. 10/10 would recommend

I’m gonna be in Portland/Salem late September and have the green light to get a few rounds in while we’re out there. Assuming I can only get to two courses - Milo East and Pier Park is what I have in mind - that sound about right?

I'm playing in my first tournament this weekend. :oldunsure: Was feeling pretty good about myself after a decent field work session and actually getting some putting in now that I have a basket. But I played a round (at Oxbow Falls, admittedly a far more challenging course than that hosting the tournment) on Sunday at it was a total disaster. After feeling that I was getting MA2 distance at field work, I was back to either grip locking everything or having it hyzer out immediately. I particularly couldn't handle the extreme uphill lies from the fairways. I'm doing the Trilogy challenge at Oxbow Falls in September, so I better straighten up.
Good luck! I’m guessing you’ll play better than you expect in the tourney. Something about it being a “real” round gives you an extra boost.

I’m gonna be in Portland/Salem late September and have the green light to get a few rounds in while we’re out there. Assuming I can only get to two courses - Milo East and Pier Park is what I have in mind - that sound about right?

Hack will be a way better source, but if you're staying in Salem, check out Champoeg for discs. Pier is good, but depending on where you are staying, can be a bit of a drive. At least it is for me. Dabney is solid, very pretty out there.

If you need a tune-up course, Memorial in Wilsonville is solid. Easy, simple course that can be played in an hour (repeat 9). I'm going there today.

My wife has an aunt in Salem, so we’ll be in Portland for a few days (just us) before we drive down to Salem to spend time with her. Also spending a night on the coast, Depoe Bay I think. Champoeg caught my eye on UDisc since it’s in the way down to Salem, might have time to check it out. It also looks like Newport has a pretty decent course, so might check that out when we leave Depoe Bay.

My wife doesn’t play but loves walking around in the forest so PNW disc golf should be perfect for us.

Users who are viewing this thread